Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Here's the Champ Shambler trip report:

Our party: Bogart (Arbalest) - Dalaram (Jester) - rydiafan (Abomination) - Bad Seafood (Man-at-Arms)

rydiafan's Rake was amazing, he was on point:

Bogart's Mark/Sniper Shot was crucial, too:

Dalaram picked off the summons and stress healed:

I debated giving him a bleed trinket, but Moon Cloak was the safer bet.

:cry:

rydiafan & Bad Seafood were tested:

Battlefield bandage doesn't work in position 4, and Bogart was busy keeping other heroes alive. Blight eventually brought her to Death's Door.

Killing blow:

Loot:

The goons were lucky to escape with their lives:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I figured it out.

Find a battle with a pelagic Guardian. Debuff/stun/etc him while deliberately stressing out the Abomination to the point he eventually triggers virtue (hopefully powerful). If you're patient enough, do this with the entire party since the Jester can also get their stress down.

But even with just a virtued Abomination your chances are much better, since he'll almost always act first and hit like a truck.

One good thing about your setup also is you can get in some good party buffs before the shambler fight. Abomination can Psych Up then the Jester can immediately remove the stress afterward. Then the MaA can use Battle Tactics and Arbalest restring crossbow.

I thought about suggesting grinding for virtues, but doing that could run close to 100 or more turns unless he gets lucky. Settling for just the Abom would be quite a bit faster, though.

Edit: loving way to go man

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
why arent i dead yet

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Because I'm doing my job. :smuggo:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jedah posted:

Nice job, Fruits of the sea. You know what I'm gonna suggest, right? Time for some Antiquarian runs. Line your pockets with cash while hiding behind a HWM/MAA with Riposte, it's the best.

How does the antiquarian generate cash?

Had to retreat from some bandit lord quest before my party bled to death. Sacrificed my only dog man, but pressing on would have been suicidal.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

How does the antiquarian generate cash?

Had to retreat from some bandit lord quest before my party bled to death. Sacrificed my only dog man, but pressing on would have been suicidal.

Antiquarian randomly generates special loot items whenever you find treasure and increases the stack limit on gold so you can carry more money in your inventory slots.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Antiquarian has to be the one to open the chest

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Shot the Shambler to death and all I got was this lousy scurvy. :britain:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When using an Antiquarian, have her interact with EVERY curio that can give loot. This includes unburned torches. She will get you Small Antiques (worth 500g each, stacks up to 20) and sometimes large antiques (worth 1000g, stacks up to 10). These are pretty space efficient and you can go into a long dungeon and make the most out of all the loot you find. Gold also stacks up to 2500 with her, useful because gold is the most efficient type of loot to gather in regards to not wasting inventory slots.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If you bring more than 1 antiquarian the stack sizes increase right?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Novum posted:

If you bring more than 1 antiquarian the stack sizes increase right?

Yeah, they go up linearly. So if you're crazy enough to take 4 you can bring in some absolutely massive haul.

Jedah? Ready to try out Darkest Dungeon The Price is Right?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can still only have one antiquarian search each curio though, so you won't get any extra artifacts. I kind of doubt a second antiquarian is worth it just for the extra stack size.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Depends on the run length. On a Short run, probably not, but a Long one?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Good stuff. Not sure why I hate mankind after walking away from the shambler. Also nice to see my paltry 9 damage following massive numbers from the abom and arb.

Looks like I get the last laugh still

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mzbundifund posted:

You can still only have one antiquarian search each curio though, so you won't get any extra artifacts. I kind of doubt a second antiquarian is worth it just for the extra stack size.

On a Long Dungeon where you find the secret room, get the Collectors Lunch Money and find at least one Jute Tapestry it could be worth it-the above mentioned alone is like 25,500g in 5 inventory slots so piling up the antiques in the other two plus the rest as gold stacks could be interesting.

Imagine a long full dark run with 4 Antiquarians each with a moon cloak and moon ring!

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Strangely I might take that party to the weald over any other spot. Apprentice, of course. Rationale being that the Weald has the fewest stress casters of all the dungeons.

Granted antiquarians actually have really strong self sufficiency packed into their camping skills. So maybe the ruins to leverage blight damage.

Your best hope is to have good scouting, luck into an easy mission, win, and then press on making money until you absolutely have to leave.

I think Jedah or Panfilo said it that the antiquarian is in a lovely spot. Experienced players don't need the money. Players that do need the money probably can't afford a dud party member and including her on a mission would end up hurting more than she helps.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Not just party space but roster space is always tight too.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Early game I find Invigorating Vapors and Protect Me are strong enough skills that she's worth taking.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Makaris posted:

Edit: loving way to go man
Thanks, it was an extremely close fight. Bogart ended combat on Death's Door with 1 tick of Blight remaining. If that tentacle had survived any longer, we may have lost her.

Panfilo posted:

Jedah? Ready to try out Darkest Dungeon The Price is Right?
Sounds fun but I'd have to attempt it on NG+ or Darkest mode, I only have one Antiquarian (me) in Radiant.

To celebrate The Skeleton King completing the game, I did a fun Antiquarian run featuring Holy Lance, Duelist's Advance x2, and Protect Me.
Very powerful team in the Ruins.

:discourse:

Yeah, like other folks have mentioned, make sure the Antiquarian interacts with every curio. The only exceptions are traps, or specific curios which remove negative quirks (Eerie Coral, Scrolls, Eldritch Altars, etc.). Earning 57k gold in one run isn't too bad. I'd suggest camping sooner rather than later, to free up the inventory. You'll get full quickly. Stockpile her antiques, they're worth a fortune.

Dalaram, I know you wanted to use Finale, but it was too risky on the Champ Shambler. Regardless, the Jester contributed plenty to the party and kept them from getting resolve checks. He's great on dark runs. One thing I didn't mention is that we got hit with a big night time ambush right before the Shambler, so I'd spent a bunch of time lowering their stress.

Maybe I'll make a special Finale team just so you can kill stuff. :madmax:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 5, 2017

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Jedah posted:

Regardless, the Jester contributed plenty to the party and kept them from getting resolve checks. He's great on dark runs. One thing I didn't mention is that we got hit with a big night time ambush right before the Shambler, so I'd spent a bunch of time lowering their stress.

Maybe I'll make a special Finale team just so you can kill stuff. :madmax:

Just quoting this for DJF.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Makaris posted:

I think Jedah or Panfilo said it that the antiquarian is in a lovely spot. Experienced players don't need the money. Players that do need the money probably can't afford a dud party member and including her on a mission would end up hurting more than she helps.

It was me. That's why I am in favor of making her a viable support hero. That doesn't mean she needs to be a powerhouse offensively. But someone that could compete with the Vestal in regards to having a reliable heal (vs a risky heal from the occultist, or a support heal from the Arbalest). She'd be far more squishy so even if they boosted her kit you'd still need to make sure you didn't get ambushed or her get caught with a bad crit. Her 'Pocket Sand!' ability, blight and Get Down skills just feel lame for the sake of being lame, especially contrasted with Protect Me (sets up nice combos) and her vapors skill (decent support skill that is seldom the worst choice you could make with her at any given moment compared to more offensive support heroes).

The other thing is I have to concede that after arguing with you for many pages, the Vestal was much better than I previously gave her credit for. Looking at her abilities she can do so much from the third position alone, but she's not so squishy that she's helpless closer up. Profane scroll lets her be a true Battle Nun while keeping her unique and super useful AoE heal. She's up there with the Houndmaster in the things she can do well and even if she's outside of her wheelhouse she's not terrible. So there ends up being seldom a reason you wouldn't want her in the party, unless you wanted to take an Abomination in which it is a matter of 'can't' then 'wont'.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dalaram posted:

Just quoting this for DJF.

quote:

FAKE NEWS

\

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

\

quote:

"Hear ye, Hear ye, this is Vulpine News, always fair and balanced. Today's proclamations: Is the Heir too soft on Jesters? Our Founding Father Ancestor Dearest was very clear that the Hamlet was not a place for foppery. Beware the effete harlequins who only serve to weaken our efforts to liberate the hamlet with their watered down excuse for marital prowess!

On the home front, startling allegations that the Caretaker is soft on the Heir's planned 'surge' have arisen. Denizens claim the Hamlet is desperate for fresh soldiers as a casualties mount. But the so-called 'Caretaker', the alleged logistics czar of the Hamlet, claims that more paperwork is necessary for him to return with more adventures. Despite claiming loyalty to God-Emperor Ancestor, this apolitical cur drags his gouty feet when it comes to procuring competent soldiers. The barracks report a crippling shortage of suitable K-9 units and armored forces, stubbornly retrieving every turkey necked imbecile gullible enough to step into the stagecoach. "

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Jester bell socks should worsen ambush chance

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Jester bell socks should worsen ambush chance

That gives me a great idea for a quirk that's basically horrible fashion sense. Like the Jester insists on these goofy jingly slippers that attract every chud in a ten mile radius, Bounty hunter won't take off his Batman cape even though it gets snagged on tentacles, Leper proudly wears his Holy Codpiece in spite of horrible chafing, etc.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Leper is already losing his skin from just breathing. Codpiece isn't gonna matter too much after that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
DJF hating Jesters might be my favorite part of this thread. He hates them in a different way each time!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

:wink:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

God I play a mean banjo...lute...sitar.

Ain't crippling nobody now, ya gently caress

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I told you once, you sunnuvabitch, I'm the best there's ever been.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

We can make him better, faster, funnier...

:shittypop:

These are just for DJF:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 6, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedah posted:

We can make him better, faster, funnier...

:shittypop:

:guitar: :supaburn: FUNK OVERLOAD :supaburn: :guitar:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Please.. stop... I'm going to have to seek medical attention for an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

Now roll a 3xPD/Jester party with emboldening vapors to see if I can roll a 3 digit damage hit.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
What's the party that can one-shot the final boss? Was it triple Plague Doctor + Jester?

Fake edit: Pretty sure it's Hellion or Leper, not sure though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What's the party that can one-shot the final boss? Was it triple Plague Doctor + Jester?

It was 3x Plague Doctor + Leper, but that was many versions ago and I'm not sure it's possible anymore. I know the final boss has been buffed a few times since its release.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

ZorajitZorajit posted:

3xPD with a Leper, was a video I saw from an early beta.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The last variant I saw was from 8 months ago, I assume they've patched it by now. even though I think it should have been kept or acknowledged as an easter egg.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i never realised the jester was old

most juggalos are young and foolish

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
I made the backer trinket "Bones of Zuh" for Virtue farming, but they gave it such lovely, useless stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mzbundifund posted:

It was 3x Plague Doctor + Leper, but that was many versions ago and I'm not sure it's possible anymore. I know the final boss has been buffed a few times since its release.

So basically they get the Leper so high on crack he chops the planet in half.