Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sarcophallus posted:

Before the last rice pot thing, he was comparable to Androssi.

......are you mixing her up with someone else? She couldn't even slow him down when she thought he was Viole, and he wasn't even actively trying to fight her. He's been out of her league for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wouldn't Beta actually be the strongest member of Baam's party? I seem to remember Baam having a tough time fighting him.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Recent developments have made me realize that I really need to go back and re-read the earlier chapters & workshop battle, having forgotten that Baam even got a demon implanted, but drat that is a lot of pages to read again.

:negative:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

......are you mixing her up with someone else? She couldn't even slow him down when she thought he was Viole, and he wasn't even actively trying to fight her. He's been out of her league for a long time.

I was comparing them during the Name Hunt station - given that Androssi was fairly confident she could win now that she knew what was up. I think Baam was stronger than Androssi at the time, but they were still in the same realm.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sarcophallus posted:

I was comparing them during the Name Hunt station - given that Androssi was fairly confident she could win now that she knew what was up. I think Baam was stronger than Androssi at the time, but they were still in the same realm.

I can't remember if the fight between Baam and Kaiser was actually close, or if it were only sorta-close because Baam didn't want to risk killing Kaiser. I'm also not sure if Kaiser actually used her summoned animal thing against Androssi, so maybe Androssi just assumed she relied entirely on her high-tier equipment.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Sarcophallus posted:

If there's one thing I wouldn't trust it's Androssi's judgement of a situation.

Androssi was maybe physically comparable to Baam but she couldn't even shoot a mega laser until after the NHS thanks to Yuri's training, whereas Baam was tossing out those flare blasts all over the place. Androssi hasn't been in his league since volume 2.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sarcophallus posted:

I was comparing them during the Name Hunt station - given that Androssi was fairly confident

And that should have been your first clue she was phenomenally wrong.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

I can't remember if the fight between Baam and Kaiser was actually close, or if it were only sorta-close because Baam didn't want to risk killing Kaiser. I'm also not sure if Kaiser actually used her summoned animal thing against Androssi, so maybe Androssi just assumed she relied entirely on her high-tier equipment.

Well Baam v Kaiser was close except Baam suddenly realized he could see invisible shinsoo weapons somehow and she couldn't really recover from that. He was never supposed to be allowed to come that close to her; it was a loss due to a failed strategy, she never had any intention to out burst Baam. Honestly, before he got the black hole, he was not a crazy unstoppable beast. There was just no one who could deal with reverse flow control combined with his raw force.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I like how we went from "Rachel might do something" last chapter to "Rachel did nothing and is dying". Not that she'll die here but yep, that sure is Rachel in a nutshell.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I hope they bring back the "Baam is super awesome at martial arts and can merge All The Martial Arts together into a super martial art" stuff from his fight with Daniel.

edit: Too many of his recent fights have just involved him shooting shinsoo blasts (or black holes recently).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Well Baam v Kaiser was close except Baam suddenly realized he could see invisible shinsoo weapons somehow and she couldn't really recover from that. He was never supposed to be allowed to come that close to her; it was a loss due to a failed strategy, she never had any intention to out burst Baam. Honestly, before he got the black hole, he was not a crazy unstoppable beast. There was just no one who could deal with reverse flow control combined with his raw force.

Beating a thousand year unbeatable sovereign like Kaiser is about as wicked powerful unbeatable as I can imagine. Baam's probably not going to be bitchsmacking Rankers or anything but SIU basically created the most powerful super duper not-Ranker he could in Kaiser for Baam to beat at this stage.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ytlaya posted:

I hope they bring back the "Baam is super awesome at martial arts and can merge All The Martial Arts together into a super martial art" stuff from his fight with Daniel.

edit: Too many of his recent fights have just involved him shooting shinsoo blasts (or black holes recently).

He got upgraded with the power to nullify power blasts with black holes, so the martial arts should be making a comeback. Now I'm kinda hoping he has now instinctively learnt how to clear shinsu out of an area like an administrator.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Author-nim lost the opportunity to name it Black Hole Sun.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Beating a thousand year unbeatable sovereign like Kaiser is about as wicked powerful unbeatable as I can imagine. Baam's probably not going to be bitchsmacking Rankers or anything but SIU basically created the most powerful super duper not-Ranker he could in Kaiser for Baam to beat at this stage.

But Kaiser was unbeatable because she was essentially unchallengeable. You have to go through her slavery ponzi scheme for years and at the end, you probably lost your name anyways. If you did fight Kaiser, you were probably murdered by invisible kunai from her high level loadout or killed by the shinsoo tiger. But she's not physically strong or a crazy 10 bang user. I think it's weird to compare regulars and irregulars in the first place and even then irregulars can't be compared. Regulars strictly follow the towers rules by using weird items like living weapons. Irregulars break all the rules by doing things like having thousands of souls in your body or generating shinsoo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I like actually that Urek is so incredibly strong that we still don't know anything about his actual powers because he hasn't really done anything except physical attacks.

I guess he could be just incredibly overpowered with no actual style or understanding of how it happened like Saitama but I don't think SIU is gonna do that

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Shugojin posted:

I like actually that Urek is so incredibly strong that we still don't know anything about his actual powers because he hasn't really done anything except physical attacks.

Haha yeah, the biggest thing we've seen him do so far is punch the air with 10% of his power.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Coffee Mugshot posted:

But Kaiser was unbeatable because she was essentially unchallengeable. You have to go through her slavery ponzi scheme for years and at the end, you probably lost your name anyways. If you did fight Kaiser, you were probably murdered by invisible kunai from her high level loadout or killed by the shinsoo tiger. But she's not physically strong or a crazy 10 bang user. I think it's weird to compare regulars and irregulars in the first place and even then irregulars can't be compared. Regulars strictly follow the towers rules by using weird items like living weapons. Irregulars break all the rules by doing things like having thousands of souls in your body or generating shinsoo.

Kaiser still had to beat her smorgasbord of lieutenants. That Arie Swordsman (Ineta? something like that) who trounced Rak and was a match for Ran was easily beaten by her. And she wasn't unchallengeable, she actually made it a point to challenge people like Baam/Viole and Androssi who might've been able to complete the near-impossible task of beating her Lieutenants to get to her -- because she wanted to keep cultivating and unstoppable hit squad for her floor and those two seemed like good additions. For someone unchallengeable we saw her challenge/accept the challenge from the two strongest non-ranker people we've seen.

And yes, Kaiser's got absurd super powered gear that's hard to beat for this stage of Tower climbing. Everyone's got their own quirks about what makes them strong, even if her strength comes from a lot of money it still makes her a hard to beat opponent. She also is still very strong and fast otherwise she couldn't execute any of her moves. The post-Kaiser fight thing where she was being sold off had an entire crowd of rankers gawk at how amazing she was (without the OP perma bleed wolf).

If you think Androssi was a match for either Kaiser or White, the last two people Baam beat, then I just fundamentally disagree with you. Androssi got embarrassed and was hiding behind the "If I had known the rules better I would've won!" excuse because all she has is her pride. And you're right, it is unfair to compare Regulars to Irregulars. Which is why it's unfair to compare Androssi to Baam. He's way out of her league because he has to be. He's gotten a billion unfair power ups.

Also, on the point of Baam getting weird unfair powerups, Androssi's also gotten two really big, unfair powerups -- being a Zahard Princess at all is an unnatural power boost from an outside source and Bong Bong is probably the single most useful item we've seen (besides maybe the frog thing, which rules). While it's certainly no Thorn it's not like Androssi's some naturally talented person who got a raw deal being compared to Baam. The strongest person who hasn't gotten a weird power boost from on high is Ran.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 10, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shugojin posted:

I guess he could be just incredibly overpowered with no actual style or understanding of how it happened like Saitama but I don't think SIU is gonna do that

he hasn't been through the revolution like baam or jahad so he could become even stronger :prepop:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say the strongest person with no power boosts isn't a turtle at all, he's a crocodile.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

This was a good update, loads of things happened. Got a feeling it might be a bit of a rush through the story because it'd wrapping up so much.

Baam keeps up his Kirby strategy of gaining power of whatever he's fighting.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

nimby posted:

This was a good update, loads of things happened. Got a feeling it might be a bit of a rush through the story because it'd wrapping up so much.

Baam keeps up his Kirby strategy of gaining power of whatever he's fighting.

Seemed like a fine chapter, would have dragged if the thing had stayed exploding for another chapter. The fallout has yet to happen anyway.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Well it wouldn't be the end of an arc without Baam getting a mysterious powerup. That said he already had something similar to the Red Thyrssa's power inside of him so who knows!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
lol of course Baam would get another magical bit of BS shoved into him by the end of it all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, what was the blue thing that was talking to Baam out of nowhere?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Wait, what was the blue thing that was talking to Baam out of nowhere?

It was the thing he met inside the rice pot training, the "false power" I think?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ahhh right I remember that guy now.

Also I like how a few days after I mention it, we get to see Urek be just a little bit serious :v:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Also Urek trying to recruit Baam is adorable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

does baam even know who wolhaiksong are?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, he seemed aware of them last time he met Urek as Viole. Also it seems khun, princesses, gatorman have talked about it around him.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

lol of course Baam would get another magical bit of BS shoved into him by the end of it all.

At least it sort of makes sense here. The thorn is part of the administrator, as was red thryssa. He's just recombining powers that were initially one.

It's the souls power that was the most egregious and out of place. I hope he sacrifices that power to free the denizens of the floor after White drains the spirit room dry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i can't really see baam accepting urek's offer since he wants out of the tower. assuming urek knows about baams past explains why he's so interested in him though outside of just being another irregular

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Honestly, the Wolhaiksong's goal seems better and more important than whatever "reform the tower" business Baam and company are aiming for. Like, if people can leave the tower for a presumably much larger world, the problem is mostly solved.

Speaking of which, I wonder if native Tower inhabitants can even survive outside the Tower, since there's no shinsoo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jose posted:

i can't really see baam accepting urek's offer since he wants out of the tower. assuming urek knows about baams past explains why he's so interested in him though outside of just being another irregular

I dunno if anyone has told Urek about Baam yet. He just seems to have really liked Baam ever since Baam was ballsy/dumb enough to stand up to him in Zygaena or whatever that giant whale thing was and good enough to land a (admittedly tiny) counterattack.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That was when he didn't know who baam was and ran into him as Viole. He's always wanted to meet up with Baam

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Shugojin posted:

I dunno if anyone has told Urek about Baam yet. He just seems to have really liked Baam ever since Baam was ballsy/dumb enough to stand up to him in Zygaena or whatever that giant whale thing was and good enough to land a (admittedly tiny) counterattack.

He had his super spy keeping tabs on Baam so I think he's, by now, well aware of the gist that Baam's real loving special. I mean this fight alone confirms a lot of that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That bit with Grand De Lee was a little sad. Hwaryun is a savage.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gologle posted:

That bit with Grand De Lee was a little sad. Hwaryun is a savage.

Do you mean De Sah? She was perfectly honest with him. The person that showed up isn't the sort that would just blindly forgive them of all their sins, so if that's what he thinks his Savior was? He didn't show up.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

Mulva posted:

The person that showed up isn't the sort that would just blindly forgive them of all their sins, so if that's what he thinks his Savior was? He didn't show up.

This is still the red witch manipulating her words, Bam won't blindly forgive the Grande De family, but would forgive them if they asked for it and explained themselves. A big theme has been Bam forgiving his enemies. (Ho, Rachael, Red Witch, Rabbit, Beta, Reflecjo [Bam didn't want him to kamikaze], Daniel, 2nd Mad Dog and Angel [saved them at least, still have to see what became of them], Shadow Wolf, Kaiser, most likely Hel Joe) Actually, drat Bam is too trusting but we already know that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Like yeah, they did hold an entire population essentially prisoner for millenia, but I didn't get the sense that they did it out of a sense of maliciousness or selfish desire to hold onto power, but out of a fervent belief that one day Baam would show up. De Sah even looked a bit guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Useless Name posted:

This is still the red witch manipulating her words, Bam won't blindly forgive the Grande De family, but would forgive them if they asked for it and explained themselves. A big theme has been Bam forgiving his enemies. (Ho, Rachael, Red Witch, Rabbit, Beta, Reflecjo [Bam didn't want him to kamikaze], Daniel, 2nd Mad Dog and Angel [saved them at least, still have to see what became of them], Shadow Wolf, Kaiser, most likely Hel Joe) Actually, drat Bam is too trusting but we already know that.

Baam didn't show up though, Rachel did. That's how I read that scene. I think Hwaryun knows Baam would forgive them.