Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

GlyphGryph posted:

Some are randomized but I am pretty sure that one is fixed. Also an absolute must have if doing wrench combat.

I don't know if the wrench one is fixed because I also haven't seen it and I am about to hit the Arboretum.

My chipset question though is I found one called amp aggressor and it says it increases damage of psi powers. I am doing a only human neuromod run and want to know if that amp affects combat focus or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I don't know if the wrench one is fixed because I also haven't seen it and I am about to hit the Arboretum.

My chipset question though is I found one called amp aggressor and it says it increases damage of psi powers. I am doing a only human neuromod run and want to know if that amp affects combat focus or not.
Pretty sure that it only affects the damage powers, so you'd have no use for it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
In three playthroughs, i have never once found the mimic detector gen2

i always had like 5 copies of the pistol crit+ though

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I think the randomized chipsets are cool and good, because each playthrough is going to be slightly different for it. That being said, it's a bummer that the game spawns so many duplicate chipsets. Imagine my dismay finding yet another worthless impact dampener when all I want to find is that kinesthetic assister.

I suspect the chipsets get determined at the beginning of the game. My efforts to save-scum for specific chipsets were unsuccessful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's really annoying that they didn't keep Dishonored 2's system where you can recycle duplicate bone charms and either consolidate them into one or break them down for making different ones. It's actually kinda crazy that they didn't implement that considering it would've been right at home here.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That would have been great. I really liked that mechanic in DH2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Me too! *looks wistfully at my pile of 4 'take less damage while sliding' chips*

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stacking up psi damage would own.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Some are randomized but I am pretty sure that one is fixed. Also an absolute must have if doing wrench combat.

If you're talking about the kinesthetic assister, do you know where it is? I haven't found reliable information about this online.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 5, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

If you're talking about the kinesthetic assister, do you know where it is? I haven't found reliable information about this online.

It is 100% not fixed. I did not see that chipset until my third run after fully clearing the station in both previous runs, and all chipsets have been in completely random spots for me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Not really. For example, you always find the Mimic Detector Gen1 in psychotronics somewhere shortly after getting the scope (i think near or in the room full of the "Not A Mimic" notes), and the double jump is always on the Disgruntled Employee floating way outside in space somewhere.

Most are random tho

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ok, double jump yes. That is the sole exception. I've cleared psychotronics and don't have mimic detection in my current run, though.

e: actually I think maybe I haven't cleared Psychotronics now that I think about it, and I can't check right now. So it may be in that area, but not a specific place.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 5, 2017

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Right after I posted this, I found it in the upstairs office in the water treatment facility, so this is definitely one of the random ones.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just got done with the intro stuff, explored as much of the lobby as I could and cleared out telecoms. I have to say the mimics and the shadow people do a good job of making you loving paranoid.

I've already put my mods into repair and engineering and started setting up safe areas with a turret and foam wall that I can run back to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Being paranoid about mimics has the nice side effect of naturally making you pay more attention to the surroundings.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

:toot:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm 3-for-3 on Mimic Detection Gen 1 always being on the body that you loot the psychoscope from. There's also the already mentioned double jump, and I think increased glide speed is always on the body in the Magnetosphere cylinder.

I believe a couple of late game quest rewards are fixed too, like the treasure maps quest reward?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

:clint:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

(I'll be short) Dead Space didn't quite live up to my initial glowing impression, but there's a lot to love even if all the innovative, interesting things they tried didn't save it from devolving into what by the half way point feels like a fairly standard action game w/ pacing issues and stupid level puzzles.

The backstory is actually good, but its presentation is pedestrian. Games should give players more time and space to breathe in the game world. This does wonders for immersion. All too often the environmental details (scenery and lore) fade into the background, becoming easily ignorable props in the rush of the carnival ride du jour. Prey excels at this, differences in genres notwithstanding.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 5, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I couldn't get into Dead Space, it had super bad input lag on PC when I tried it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It didn't feel good w/ a mouse and keyboard, but I mostly played with a pad. Which is my preferred interface anyway because I can no longer comfortably play with m+k for longer sessions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space on PC has pretty insane mouse deceleration problems. You have to move it pretty slowly because moving it faster actually causes your crosshair to move less distance for some insane reason. It's the only game I've ever seen where that's the case, and thankfully the games do not have that problem from Dead Space 2 onward.

Dead Space 1 falls into the trapping of 'horror game becomes an action game except for when it makes a conscious effort to return to horror occasionally', but I'm positive that they meant for it to be that way. With the kind of firepower you start getting late in the game, I'm certain they were going for less OG Resident Evil and more Modern Resident Evil. It takes a while for the first game to get there but Dead Space 2 just starts off that way. And then 3 is just the Resident Evil 6 of the series.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Altman be praised

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
One thing I really loved about ds2 was that they owned up to the action aspect and it showed in Issac who isn't even phased ( compared to stick a neddle in your eye guy) by this poo poo anymore. Also his outburst at the end boss twist makes me laugh cause in any other game the protagonist would go "oh bloo bloo my feelings. How could you?"

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The final boss of Dead Space 2 sucks and you can tell it wasn't even going to be in the game but the intro to it owns. gently caress you and gently caress your Marker!!! :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The developers kept having to extend the ending because playtesters didn't like how the game ended. There are actually 3 versions of the ending in existence:

1. Isaac spears Tiedeman, is absorbed into the Nicole hallucination and forces his way out, then sits down on the steps and waits for it to be over, fade to credits. But playtesters didn't like that because there was no final boss.

2. Isaac spears Tiedeman, is absorbed into the Nicole hallucination and fights her, then sits down on the steps and waits for it to be over, fade to credits. But playtesters didn't like THAT either because the ending was sad and sad endings make gamers angry.

3. Isaac spears Tiedeman, is absorbed into the Nicole hallucination and fights her, then when he sits down on the steps he is quickly saved by Ellie, who has returned to make room for a happy ending and a sequel!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah around release one of the Devs had a very candid interview where they were about to go Gold and an exec came in and was like "focus testing says that without a final boss the game doesn't really feel like it ends so you need a final boss" and they were like "uhhhh dude we are like, DONE" and he was like " yeah but you have 2 days to design, code, and implement a final boss"

E:F,B

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Playing Dishonored like the Bloody Nine is a lot more fun than I remember. Gotta get the 100% there too. Does Arx have cheevos?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space on PC has pretty insane mouse deceleration problems. You have to move it pretty slowly because moving it faster actually causes your crosshair to move less distance for some insane reason. It's the only game I've ever seen where that's the case, and thankfully the games do not have that problem from Dead Space 2 onward.

There's a fix for this, something to do with turning vsync on or off. Still a bad port because there's never been a patch for it, but after you've done the workaround it controls fine.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There's a fix for this, something to do with turning vsync on or off. Still a bad port because there's never been a patch for it, but after you've done the workaround it controls fine.

It was pretty infamous.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually really liked the (dead space 2 spoiler) credits fakeout at the end of Dead Space 2

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Playing Dishonored like the Bloody Nine is a lot more fun than I remember. Gotta get the 100% there too. Does Arx have cheevos?
No, Arx is fairly old.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Well, I had the misfortune of having the nightmare spawn in the cargo bay. Turns out it'll kill other survivors.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had one spawn in the direction of 4 turrets I had set up there. I came back to find a bunch of chunky chunks and only one of the turrets was broken.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

guns for tits posted:

Well, I had the misfortune of having the nightmare spawn in the cargo bay. Turns out it'll kill other survivors.

I had it spawn there too, but it was before I'd actually opened up the door to the second section. When I first saw the alert pop up I was panicking trying to figure out how to keep it away from the survivors...until I looked and saw it just standing there staring at me on the other side of a blast door.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
For those who missed the Q-beam, how the hell did you miss the one in the freezer that the Chef potentially locks you in. It's like, right there, on a shelf, big and shiny. I could understand maybe missing the three or four q-beams on the way to crew quarters, but how the heck did you miss THAT one

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's not a mandatory quest line and there's nothing directing you into the dining area other than his shouting. It's entirely possible to never even meet him, let alone complete the quest.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I'm doing a normal 0-mods run on my first play and I kind of want to know what happens if you just blow the imposter apart in the kitchen

needs to be said, tho, you can win the gently caress out of the game on normal with no mods. after the survivor quests I have about 50 and I'm thinking about just recycling them like I've been doing to spare parts

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The only Q-Beams I got were the first one which was in the cargo bay with the survivors, and then I think a blueprint in a level 4 hacking container in the guts.

There's a probably a lot of stuff that was missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

HATECUBE posted:

I'm doing a normal 0-mods run on my first play and I kind of want to know what happens if you just blow the imposter apart in the kitchen
If you kill him before repairing the water then he doesn't open the freezer and you have to hack your way into it (or maybe reverse-sneak? I couldn't remember where the exit came out).

If you repair the water and have him open the freezer before killing him then you get to loot the freezer without ever being locked into it.

In both cases if/when you talk to Danielle she'll say "I assume you're why his bracelet went red" after the usual line about it being you rather than Abby, and you'll get credit at the end of the game for killing him as if you'd done the whole questline.