Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Niwrad posted:

So they weren't cheap? Just grossly incompetent?

turns out free agents don't want to come to okc when they don't have money and when they do they don't want to come because we don't have opera

Lessail posted:

I can't wait for when people start saying KD could never get to the playoffs in OKC

They already kinda ignore that he was MVP with them

no one is that stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the new lakers dy nasty cant come soon enough

gsw fans need to learn to #winwithclass

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Up Circle posted:

the new lakers dy nasty cant come soon enough

gsw fans need to learn to #winwithclass

first magic johnson has to ruin the franchise, setting up a one Kobe Bean Bryant to ride in and save the day...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/SpiderStudiosOH/status/871876840079732736

wait what.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

LBJ's voice smooth as gently caress

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FuzzySkinner posted:

The team Durant left made the playoffs thanks to the efforts of one Russell Westbrook.

It was also doomed to flame out early in the playoffs thanks to the efforts of one Russell Westbrook. High level Basketball is a beautiful combination of Individual Greatness and Magnificent Teamwork and Westbrook is a Sinner who abandons Teamwork, which loses you game 7 of the 2016 WCF after going up 3-1. This season Westbrook's ball hogging ways have so damaged his team that it could not even defeat the Fraudulent Flopper James Harden in round 1.

Durant went to the team which defeated him because his faith is pure and he could not pass up the chance to join a cult of the One True B-ball Religion. It was the only place he could play with the Foul-Mouthed Prophet Draymond Green, who DGAF if you're a mega superstar and will put you back on the path of righteousness by screaming at you for waving off plays and going pure hero mode in crunch time. KD saw in a moment of great and profound clarity that he must cleanse himself by bathing in the righteous NBA Jam fire flowing in the veins of the Golden State W-w-w-arhrriors.

quote:

The team LeBron left? Had one of the longest losing streaks in NBA History the year after and was in the lotto the very next year.

A different situation, yet the answer once again lies in the great mysteries of Ball. Lebron was Justified and Blessed by the B-Ball Gods because the vile Dan Gilbert refused to hire a supporting cast worthy of the King. One cannot expect the great Player-Prophets of Ball to stay in impure situations when the opportunity to get right presents itself.

However, Lebron faltered by not treating his Cleveland fans right when announcing The Decision and so the Gods were forced to punish him with humiliating Finals losses to not one but two Texas teams, so that he would only go two for four in Miami.

Now he has truly rebelled by returning to the house of Gilbert, and though Lebron's powers are so great that he was able to defeat even the Gods last year, he is Cursed and shall be Denied in his quest to win as many Championships as the Almighty JRDN.

Soon Lebron will chaos dunk on the The Great Rim in the Sky as he takes the place in the Pantheon reserved for him from his birth, yet they are angry with him and do not wish to suffer his presence. What consequences for Earth when the gods battle their newest member by holding a celestial hang time contest? Truly we live in the end times.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cased closed. Even Durant concedes Lebron is the alpha.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

celestial ball is likely what many of the owners call the chinese league

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OKC didn't want to get into the repeater luxury tax penalty area, it could have significantly hampered their ability to sustain a successful team. Noted cheapskate Mark Cuban made a similar decision once.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is no way harden and Russ would have worked .....

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

harden and durant can play fine offball, they would have needed a good coach tho. and to aggressively stagger minutes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think harden wanted to be an off ball supporting player.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

eh playing offball doesnt necessarily mean he would be a supporting player but i take your point. 3 ball dominant players like that would have been pretty unique in nba history. steph and klay are so good offball that it works for the warriors but they have different games than any of those guys.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

eh playing offball doesnt necessarily mean he would be a supporting player but i take your point. 3 ball dominant players like that would have been pretty unique in nba history.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the alphas are only ball dominant cause they are all dominant imo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

OKC didn't want to get into the repeater luxury tax penalty area, it could have significantly hampered their ability to sustain a successful team. Noted cheapskate Mark Cuban made a similar decision once.

A team with Westbrook, Harden, and Durant would probably be able to sustain success.

Mark Cuban spent $150 million in luxury tax before OKC spent a dime in it. That includes $18 million during the year they won the title.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

In case you didn't know, Wade is going to opt-in and the Bulls front office said they are bringing Rondo back so we are going to get another year of the alphas.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

In case you didn't know, Wade is going to opt-in and the Bulls front office said they are bringing Rondo back so we are going to get another year of the alphas.

Rookie Alpha Alpha Luke Kennard

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

euphronius posted:

I don't think harden wanted to be an off ball supporting player.

he said he would, he was happy, he just wanted his money/respect. He's still good friends with them.

You got taken by the OKC media mafia ran by their gm who I have already forgotten they irrepevant.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Niwrad posted:

A team with Westbrook, Harden, and Durant would probably be able to sustain success.

Mark Cuban spent $150 million in luxury tax before OKC spent a dime in it. That includes $18 million during the year they won the title.

Really weird that the thieving OKC owner guys didn't want to pay the luxury tax

Rip Aubrey

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The hindsight part is that they could've kept both harden and ibaka if they stretch or amnesty perkins

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I will loving kill you.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Tae posted:

The hindsight part is that they could've kept both harden and ibaka if they stretch or amnesty perkins

I forgot about this and I'm doing a lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Reminder that the Warriors and Bulls with all 3 Alphas are the only two undefeated teams in the 2017 NBA Playoffs.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Wasn't the reporting at the time of the trade that Harden was holding out for a 4 year, $56 million contract and the Thunder wanted to pay him 4 years, $52 million? It takes zero hindsight to say the Thunder could have cleared $1 million a year in salary elsewhere. Even if they hit the luxury tax and needed to dodge the repeater penalty down the line, any piece of their core four could have garnered a good return while clearing salary, and also they had the option to amnesty Kendrick Perkins and didn't

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alpha-Kaba-76960/

it's like they say, inside every powerful black man is a tiny white man waving Hi to Hitler or possibly begging for a high five

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 6, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I Can't Believe I didn't realize Dwyane Wade has a tiny white arm that he uses not to block shots but as a counterweight to maintain balance in the air

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tae posted:

one of the few good contributions bill simmons gave to the world was popularizing the word 'amnesthize' for this and you should use that word

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

EvanTH posted:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alpha-Kaba-76960/

it's like they say, inside every powerful black man is a tiny white man waving Hi to Hitler or possibly begging for a high five

Lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy poo poo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
loving LOL Lonzo

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lavar-ball-says-495-big-baller-brand-shoes-nothing-more-than-stitching-and-glue/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

But. He's right? breaking it down a Shoe isn't much but stitching and glue. The only value outside of the cost of materials is the value on the name/logo on the shoe itself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/jimmy-butler-and-front-office-come-out-of-meeting-in-right-direction/

quote:

According to a team source, Butler met Monday with vice president of basketball operations John Paxson and general manager Gar Forman. And while details of what was discussed were vague, the source said both sides came out ‘‘very satisfied with the direction.’’

It was the first time Butler had spoken face-to-face with Paxson and Forman since the Bulls’ season ended with a first-round playoff loss to the Boston Celtics in late April.

‘‘Jimmy came away feeling appreciated and, more importantly, knows he’s not being shopped [on the trade market],’’ the source said.

Those were two keys for Butler, especially considering how Paxson and Forman seem to have gone out of their way to downplay his importance, referring him to as just a piece in their attempt to build a winning franchise and consistently leaving open the possibility of a trade.

The source said Paxson told Butler that if a team called with a trade proposal that was stacked in the Bulls’ favor, the front office would explore it. But Butler always has been realistic enough to understand that was a possible scenario.

So Joe Cowley heard from Jimmy Butler about their meeting.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dexo posted:

But. He's right? breaking it down a Shoe isn't much but stitching and glue. The only value outside of the cost of materials is the value on the name/logo on the shoe itself.

Of course it is. But if you are trying to market a $500 shoe, it's probably not a good idea to say that you just slapped some poo poo together. The rubes... errr... customers might hear you.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Metapod posted:

Yep one move in 2012 defines the entire franchise forever. The actually paying the luxury tax, going after vets, and trades after that mean absolutely nothing

It will define the franchise forever. Kevin a Durant wouldn't have left if they kept Harden. They just had to amnesty Perkins. They would've entered luxury tax but not a repeating luxury tax. That young core of Harden, Westbrook, Ibadan and KD....

So yes this one move has hosed this young franchise.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Metapod posted:

That's why they went after pau? That's why they kepted signing players like dfish and caron butler because they didn't care about winning?

lol why didn't they pay the lux tax for just one year then? Harden wasn't even a diva about the first OKC extension offer either; OKC pulled the offer a couple days later without any real negotiations and traded him

Edit: I double checked, OKC never used their amnesty. Holy poo poo no way you should think the OKC ownership was dedicated to win

Lessail posted:

I can't wait for when people start saying KD could never get to the playoffs in OKC

They already kinda ignore that he was MVP with them

Would this two way Kevin Durant ever have shown up in OKC though?

:thunk:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Really weird that the thieving OKC owner guys didn't want to pay the luxury tax

Rip Aubrey

Lol I forgot about Aubrey pulling a Harry Potter straight into a concrete wall.

Zombie sonic curse is alive. The salt coming from KD going to the warriors and pissing off NBA fans makes it even better

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 6, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

The normal sneaker breakdown is like 50% profit 30% retail markup then labor/materials/shipping. And as they move to complete synthetic shoes material cost comes down because they dont have to play the commodity market for leather, they just have some petroleum cooked up into whatever and add a big buckle.

It's absurd. Think about crocs selling at between 20-30 dollars for some rubbberish plastic that probably cost around 80 cents to manufacture. The money is in the brand, you slice off some for overhead and duties, and you still have an absurd profit margin, and when you get into ultra premium sneakers the money is really just the brand, the sales tax could probably covers materials and labor

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Did I say it was the correct decision? Have I ever said it was the correct decision? No because it wasn't. But that doesn't mean a franchise is not committed to winning a championship cause get this they probably make it back to the championship in 13 if not for bev

They fell into a trap of their own design. They got so desperate to look like they were building a team around KD that they just lunged at any available player of note and ended up wasting assets and cap space on a backup center who can't play defense. But once they traded Harden it was over, they were too good too early to get value deals for either Westbrook or Durant, so they really had one chance, and then to build from there, and they didn't. That's just what happens. You make one bad move and your team crumbles. Look what happened to the Pistons once Dumars traded Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson, it's been a solid 10 years of bad-mediocre to decent-mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://hoopshype.com/2017/06/05/my-text-message-conversation-with-nets-guard-spencer-dinwiddie-while-watching-game-2-of-the-finals/
This is surprisingly entertaining, the writer''s back and forth texts with Spencer Dinwiddie during game 2. Spencer comes off as a very thoughtful man

• Locked thread