Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

zoux posted:

He's the living strawman of a union guy that Fox News uses.

"Eyyy I'm trying to sandbag and goldbrick over heah"

Hey it's the boss from F is for Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

These cows need more water because they are extremely dehydrated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who What Now posted:

These cows need more water because they are extremely dehydrated.

Cows drink milk. :rolleyes:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Smashing Link posted:

I think he did the Stainless Steel Rat series, which were pretty funny.

Oh yeah. I love Peter F Hamilton for his hard sci-fi, but the Stainless Steel Rat series are just straight-up space cheese ridiculousness and a great ride the whole time. With other great titles like Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers, or Bill the Galactic Hero he's just a fun writer.
I thought he did the story for a graphic novel back in the 80s about an AI train called RRAAG or something, but that seems to have been a fever dream.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

whiteyfats posted:

Old science fiction and fantasy books covers own so loving hard.

Seriously.

I bought a copy of Dhalgren strictly because of the cover. I've read it cover to cover 3 times, and I still can't quite wrap my head around it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

zoux posted:

Def con four isn't a huge deal. Certainly not sun bleached spaceman skeleton bad.

There's a throwaway scene in that movie shortly after they get off the satellite. One of the main guys looks down an alley while they're trying to get somewhere else, and there's a cannibal just carving a slice off a dead guy's rear end like an easter ham. That little 30 second scene hosed up young me for like a year.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Saw this in a store yesterday:

An adult coloring book. About an 80s sitcom. ?

$16.99 adult coloring book about an 80s sitcom. :psyduck:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's not just an 80s sitcom, you nonce.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All you sci-fi art lover will love this thread then:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806336

It's closed, but hasn't been goldmined yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Seriously.

I bought a copy of Dhalgren strictly because of the cover. I've read it cover to cover 3 times, and I still can't quite wrap my head around it.

I was the same when I first saw the album art for Red Sails in the Sunset.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I didn't know the Barringer Crater was migratory.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stare: brb gonna reinstall homeworld.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Insanely sick

Sometimes the yospos pics thread did a few pages of those images and it went better than could have been expected but they are lost in time

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

its all nice on rice posted:

:stare: brb gonna reinstall homeworld.

I just fired elite dangerous back up

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I just fired elite dangerous back up

Damnit....now I have to reinstall it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I was at a flea market that had a big bin with a ton of 1960s era pulp sci-fi novels in it.
They were wanting two bucks a book so I said gently caress it. If they were like 3 for a dollar, I'd have snatched a ton up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was at a flea market that had a big bin with a ton of 1960s era pulp sci-fi novels in it.
They were wanting two bucks a book so I said gently caress it. If they were like 3 for a dollar, I'd have snatched a ton up.

I bet you could have offered them like $30 for the whole bin and they would have taken it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
What a stock photo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, a scene from the upcoming, modern-day setting remake of 'Ol' Yeller'.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is that Winnie the Pooh?

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

We Know Catheters posted:

Is that Winnie the Pooh?

After dishing out some Tigger discipline

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

upsidedown posted:

After dishing out some Tigger discipline

:nws: Tigger Discipline :nws:

----------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/871728039788511233

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Gromit posted:

Oh yeah. I love Peter F Hamilton for his hard sci-fi,

wat

do you mean kim s robinson

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hard Scifi? Peter F Hamilton? Who literally does not understand how a rudder works? Who believes spinning superconductors in a magnetic field gives you a free energy device? Sure, Fallen Dragon is a great piece of fiction, but the dude is as hard as key lime pie.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
He's the guy who made Al Capone's reincarnated soul the unironic bad guy in a trilogy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bogan King posted:

What a stock photo

What would anyone ever want to use this stock photo for

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mamaaaaaaaaa boohooohooo

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

What would anyone ever want to use this stock photo for

It was a NRA ad; "Don't let Obama steal our children's future"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wayfinder posted:

He's the guy who made Al Capone's reincarnated soul the unironic bad guy in a trilogy

yeah did he write anything else because that series was hot loving trash after the first one, and mostly during the first one as well

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karate Bastard posted:

Mamaaaaaaaaa boohooohooo

Just killed a man
Put a gun against his head

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just killed a man
Put a gun against his head

My pants are yellow
Shirt is red.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Memento posted:

yeah did he write anything else because that series was hot loving trash after the first one, and mostly during the first one as well

he wrote the commonwealth series which is split into 2 main series, the first one is 2 books, then a trilogy of books after those two. It's still pretty pulpy but I liked them. I read the Al Capone one and didn't like it anywhere near as much.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do read Fallen Dragon though. It's one of the best written pieces of scifi I've ever read.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

syscall girl posted:

As a poor porcuswine farmer I

They were funny on so many levels and sometimes it seemed like you were laughing at the characters or even poor old Harry's bizarre concepts of women.

I had to go through a lot of old bookstores to find the originals and they were basically ripping off Starship Troopers if you can believe it.
Sounds like you're thinking of Bill, the Galactic Hero. He was the country bumpkin who was drafted into war and lost his left arm and leg in battle, had his left arm replaced with his dead buddy's right arm, and had a different new mutant animal leg in every book. Because the military had a shortage of actual human spare parts.

Stainless Steel Rat was about the con man/gentleman thief who got into all sorts of shady adventure hijinks. Also a very good series and pretty funny but not straight-up cheeseball parody like Bill.

I should reread some of those, I was so young when I read them that there were probably some jokes that flew way over my head.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Karate Bastard posted:

Do read Fallen Dragon though. It's one of the best written pieces of scifi I've ever read.

I'll give it a shot, I need something to read having finally managed to wade through the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

hosed if I know what was happening half the time in those books, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Harrison started writing and publishing the Stainless Steel Rat stories in the late 50s so they're rather quaintly dated now. The same with one of my other favourite scifi series, Spider Robinson's Callahan's Bar. One of Robinson's early Callahan stories has a "time traveller" who has been out of society for a while and is having trouble adapting to all the changes that have happened including this dumbass they have for a president these days which turns out to be Richard Nixon which rather specifically dates that particular story.

Edit: there's pile of books all over my room and I just checked and there's a bunch of Harrison and Robinson books within arm's reach

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are some weird-rear end stock photos out there

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phlegmish posted:

There are some weird-rear end stock photos out there

drat, you're not wrong

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi