Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Argh the ipad pull-down keyboard keys is something the iphone needs more than the ipad. Just make the symbol appear in the list when you hold down a key, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

I have been using I cloud for my work I phone 6s. I have just over 200 employee's and maybe 50 personal contact all on my I cloud.

I used to be able to add a person or group and in seconds it would be on my I phone.

It also automatically updated through my Mail app with there email address's and this enabled me to access all there email address's on my work computer through out mail system on there. it has worked good for about a month.

it was extremely convenient and I loved using it.

About a week ago it stopped syncing. if I add a person on my phone it will add them on the cloud but it wont work the other way. and my mail can no longer access the email address's.

I have tried turning phone on and off. I have tried signing out of I cloud and signing back in. I have tried a hard reset on the phone (when you hold down both buttons)

I am about to wipe the phone completely with a factory reset but im thinking if the emails dont update then maybe its a cloud issue.

Any ideas?

Mortlock fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 6, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you add a person on your phone and it's going to the cloud then the problem isn't with your phone or iCloud. It's an issue on your computer's end. Contact your IT. It actually sounds like they are blocking iCloud traffic on whatever network your computer is on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Once in a while this can be resolved by turning syncing of contacts off (on all devices, signing out doesn't work) turning syncing back on, but Jose is right that there might be a network issue if that doesn't resolve it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Just going to go ahead and say this now:

Don't install the iOS 11 beta if you don't like dealing with poo poo battery life and software bugs.

I will come to your place of residence and make fun of you if you complain.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sleepwalkers posted:

Just going to go ahead and say this now:

Don't install the iOS 11 beta if you don't like dealing with poo poo battery life and software bugs.

I will come to your place of residence and make fun of you if you complain.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol: The new 1-page control panel looks loving terrible.

I feel like they just picked a reaaaaallllyy garish background to demo it with

xzzy posted:

Too bad there's nothing but preliminary studies regarding the effect of blue light and sleep quality. But hey everyone makes health decisions based off headlines so what's one more on the pile. :angel:

I mean studies or not if it's more comfortable for people and stops them squinting at their scree, why not?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Double post but lol at

MacRumours Article posted:

Camera QR code scanning - The Camera app automatically detects QR codes and will respond appropriately, doing things like opening up Safari to a specific website.

in 2017 they finally let you scan QR codes in the camera app

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

Double post but lol at

in 2017 they finally let you scan QR codes in the camera app

Technology is amazing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder why they finally put the feature in. I half wonder if it was the Nokia settlement that made it possible.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I like how they pointed out "This is great for users in China" since afaik they're literally the only country where QR codes actually got any traction whatsoever.

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you add a person on your phone and it's going to the cloud then the problem isn't with your phone or iCloud. It's an issue on your computer's end. Contact your IT. It actually sounds like they are blocking iCloud traffic on whatever network your computer is on.

Rick posted:

Once in a while this can be resolved by turning syncing of contacts off (on all devices, signing out doesn't work) turning syncing back on, but Jose is right that there might be a network issue if that doesn't resolve it.

Thanks both for the tips.

I can log onto the I cloud web address from my work PC. I have not instructed the IT guys to block any websites.

I also can make edits at home on my personal PC they just dont sync.

I tried turning off the syncing and turning that back on (Settings>I cloud>swiping the blue bar back and fourth)

maybe i'm going to have to do a factory reset and see if that works.

Thanks
Chris

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Daandrah posted:

I can log onto the I cloud web address from my work PC. I have not instructed the IT guys to block any websites.

I tried turning off the syncing and turning that back on (Settings>I cloud>swiping the blue bar back and fourth)

Thanks
Chris
How is Apple for supporting devices bought abroad? I'm going to be in Canada in January and there's a good chance that buying an iPhone and iPad while I'm there will be cheaper than buying it here in the UK - I just wanna be sure that Apple Stores won't turn away fixing any issues or replacements for them because they were bought in another country.

edit: Yup, the £709 iPad Pro is $999 Canadian, which ends up at £573.97 - unless the Canadian version of the store doesn't list tax until the very end, that's a hell of a saving!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 6, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Daandrah posted:

Thanks
Chris

Hm, yeah that's definitely how you do it. Do you have the icloud helper installed on your home PC? It doesn't really "help" that much but it at least gives you another setting to play with.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

unless the Canadian version of the store doesn't list tax until the very end

That is how it works. Tax is different in each province.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pivo posted:

That is how it works. Tax is different in each province.
Oh crumbs. :(

Looks like I'll need to research if Canada do that whole thing of letting tourists claim tax back!
Though in Calgary I guess it's only 5%? That's not too bad.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Though in Calgary I guess it's only 5%? That's not too bad.

Yeah I guess, they were oil rich once. The tradeoff to being in Alberta is having to be in Alberta.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So in ios 11, how do i choose my AirPods for music? I can’t find anything in the new control panel. I figure I am overlooking something obvious, but I have force pressed every icon I can find and I don’t see a away to select your AirPods.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

badjohny posted:

So in ios 11, how do i choose my AirPods for music? I can’t find anything in the new control panel. I figure I am overlooking something obvious, but I have force pressed every icon I can find and I don’t see a away to select your AirPods.

From what I can see it's gone in control center, but is there in individual apps and the generic video player. My assumption is they are going to go all in on the W1 and automatic switching going forward, and this is their way of getting people weaned off that kind of manual control.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

badjohny posted:

Glazier posted:

From what I can see it's gone in control center, but is there in individual apps and the generic video player. My assumption is they are going to go all in on the W1 and automatic switching going forward, and this is their way of getting people weaned off that kind of manual control.

Force press the music controls, tap the AirPlay icon, choose the output.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sleepwalkers posted:

Force press the music controls, tap the AirPlay icon, choose the output.
iOS UI design must be a pain these days, when you've got such a defined userbase split with 3D touch. Like you want to push it and integrate it into everything but you can't even assume a given user has it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It will get easier with iOS 11 as they're killing off the 32 bit phones, so if my brain is remembering things properly that means there will be only two iPhone models left that don't support it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Would a long press work as a substitute to 3D Touch?

I usually just use Spotify's built-in feature so I'm not going to cry if Apple left me out.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

xzzy posted:

It will get easier with iOS 11 as they're killing off the 32 bit phones, so if my brain is remembering things properly that means there will be only two iPhone models left that don't support it.

5s, 6, and SE don't have it, and SE is still available for the foreseeable future since they just gave it a storage bump 2 months ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Three. 5s, 6, and SE. Plus the 6th generation iPod Touch, and the entire supported iPad line.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Would a long press work as a substitute to 3D Touch?

I usually just use Spotify's built-in feature so I'm not going to cry if Apple left me out.
It's precisely what Apple does for certain UI features, but apps probably depend on developer. I can't even think of many that use 3D Touch beyond some peek and pop things that aren't a big deal to not have.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
3D Touch has largely become a classic Apple failure to generate buzz and demand around a feature that isn't widely used (or even known about by Joe iPhone User)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pretty much only use it to move my cursor around when entering text. It would be hard to lose that, but it's also hard to justify continuing to push the technology if it doesn't have widespread use.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Michael Scott posted:

3D Touch has largely become a classic Apple failure to generate buzz and demand around a feature that isn't widely used (or even known about by Joe iPhone User)

I use it... largely by accident and pleasantly surprise myself with some apps. For example, I like the Outlook app's 3D Touch view.

I end up using it a lot more, out of necessity, on the watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

I use it... largely by accident and pleasantly surprise myself with some apps. For example, I like the Outlook app's 3D Touch view.

I end up using it a lot more, out of necessity, on the watch.

That is Force Touch and it's totally different! :colbert:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
3D + Force Touch own. Whenever I am texting someone I never have to leave my lock screen and I love it.

Plus the cursor movement with the keyboard 3D touch.

It's still not quite a killer feature but it has definitely added a lot of convenience for me.

I say Force Touch owns because I have a 12" MacBook and I love the trackpad on that thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
3D touch is something that I love – when I remember to use it.

Yes that’s :thejoke:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah 3d touch is always a pleasant surprise.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

3D Touch is the one feature that makes me want to upgrade, but I plan on keeping my 6 as long as possible.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Endless Mike posted:

That is Force Touch and it's totally different! :colbert:

What? Really? I had no loving idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

What? Really? I had no loving idea.

I'm mostly joking, but yeah, for whatever reason they call it Force Touch on the Watch (and trackpads), and 3D Touch on phones.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I turned 3D Touch off hours after I got my 7+ because it was annoying as gently caress when I accidentally used it and I didn't really see much of a benefit to how I use my iPhone anyway and I've never turned it back on since :shobon:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I turned 3D Touch off hours after I got my 7+ because it was annoying as gently caress when I accidentally used it and I didn't really see much of a benefit to how I use my iPhone anyway and I've never turned it back on since :shobon:

You can adjust the sensitivity you heathen

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I'm mostly joking, but yeah, for whatever reason they call it Force Touch on the Watch (and trackpads), and 3D Touch on phones.

I think it's 'cause Force Touch can only sense a press, and 3D Touch can differentiate between levels of pressure? I think?

e: also 3D Touch is great in Twitter and mail apps. Also photos. Also opening links.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

I think it's 'cause Force Touch can only sense a press, and 3D Touch can differentiate between levels of pressure? I think?

e: also 3D Touch is great in Twitter and mail apps. Also photos. Also opening links.

The Touchpads can definitely sense different levels of pressure, so I don't think that's it.

But anyway, 3D Touch is great and you should turn it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

skull mask mcgee posted:

3D Touch is the one feature that makes me want to upgrade, but I plan on keeping my 6 as long as possible.

3D Touch isn't something that makes me want to upgrade but I'm looking forward to having it.

Count me as another who held onto my 6. This is the first iPhone I've had for longer than 2 years.