Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

anti_strunt posted:

Hello. Again though, I think this ties in with the generally greater tactical depth to Infinity. The equipment given to a single guy will have a far bigger impact than the equivalent in 40K.

See, I'm not sure single guy equipment should matter in 40k, because I think they want to be a Coy or BTN scale game. But because it doesn't know if it wants to be a platoon, coy or a BTN game it has no tactical depth. One of my frustrations with 40k is that it doesn't know what scale it wants to be, and doesn't have a view of how much tactical depth it should have to support that scale. I feel like there are roughly three playable 'unit sizes' for war games

You can go for a Platoon (-) <-> Platoon (+)

Coy(-) to Coy (+)

Battalion

What sort of game is it trying to simulate? If it's a battalion game, there is way to much fiddliness in moving and resolving at the model level. If it's a company level game though, there is insufficently macro tactical decisions. For example, IG is presented as a WWII army, but there is nothing to reward keyholed firing positions or similar. Is it a platoon game? Clearly not as they are throwing poo poo like baneblades around.

The model to model scale is broken as well. In the flavor, a marine is presented as being worth as much as 10 guys. So a fire team of marines should be equivalent to my IG platoon, but they've never really done that either.

anti_strunt posted:

The point is that when people talk about GW "missing out on the last decade of game design", the biggest thing is that today we known that the real core of game design is the action economy, not fiddling around in the barren design space of +/- gun stats.

This so much this! That said, they haven't even explored the +/- gun stats thing either. There is no actual Heavy Machine gun in the rule-set!

quote:

The best loving book they ever put out. Good God, if Anvil Industry's Regiment Builder had been around then I've would've spent so much drat money...

Yeah was a cool idea, and then they exploded it lol.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Would.

The tech-bee is kinda Meh though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Texmo posted:

Honestly I'd be fine playing against that army too - it's just that, to me, Mantic models feel like you're paying money to receive a painting chore that will look ugly no matter what, so why spend your money on that instead of just papercrafting?
Those space marines vs warpath comparisons might as well be comparing space marines to those cheap rear end russian miniatures as far as I'm concerned, like, you could buy $100 for a handful of good looking miniatures that are worth spending time painting because you can make them look nice (or at least serviceable with a base color and wash) but GW is actually a rip off because for $100 you could instead buy a ton of ugly garbage.

Except those Mantic Enforcer models are better looking than Space Marines, and the same production quality :shrug:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Texmo posted:

Honestly I'd be fine playing against that army too - it's just that, to me, Mantic models feel like you're paying money to receive a painting chore that will look ugly no matter what, so why spend your money on that instead of just papercrafting?
Those space marines vs warpath comparisons might as well be comparing space marines to those cheap rear end russian miniatures as far as I'm concerned, like, you could buy $100 for a handful of good looking miniatures that are worth spending time painting because you can make them look nice (or at least serviceable with a base color and wash) but GW is actually a rip off because for $100 you could instead buy a ton of ugly garbage.

Man, the real problem is this:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Imperial-Guard-Cadian-Shock-Troops?_requestid=3944251

48 dollary doos for 10 decent models but no heavy weapons.

And then this:

http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/Perry_Miniatures_Afrikakorps_German_Infantry_2B_p/2bd-pwwii2.htm

80 dollarydoos for 76 models including a huge variety of heavy weapon options(LMGS, ATRs, mortars, SMGS!), 3 head options per model, and the sculpts are fantastic, the Perry brothers are great.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

NTRabbit posted:

Except those Mantic Enforcer models are better looking than Space Marines, and the same production quality :shrug:

I guess it's difference in opinion like Atlas Hugged said, because I think the Enforcers, and everything else I've seen by mantic, have intensely uninteresting designs.
Except for the 'same production quality' part, you either haven't touched a recent GW kit, or have a very interesting definition of 'the same'

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Man, the real problem is this:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Imperial-Guard-Cadian-Shock-Troops?_requestid=3944251

48 dollary doos for 10 decent models but no heavy weapons.

And then this:

http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/Perry_Miniatures_Afrikakorps_German_Infantry_2B_p/2bd-pwwii2.htm

80 dollarydoos for 76 models including a huge variety of heavy weapon options(LMGS, ATRs, mortars, SMGS!), 3 head options per model, and the sculpts are fantastic, the perrys are great.

Yeah I guess when you're literally competing against this, then it's not good business sense to have niche pricing.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Texmo posted:

I guess it's difference in opinion like Atlas Hugged said, because I think the Enforcers, and everything else I've seen by mantic, have intensely uninteresting designs.
Except for the 'same production quality' part, you either haven't touched a recent GW kit, or have a very interesting definition of 'the same'

Yeah I guess when you're literally competing against this, then it's not good business sense to have niche pricing.

Are you really comparing the Perry Brothers, who did the sculpting on the Green Knight, to loving army men?

It's also a bullshit point generally. Moving into niche products you can get a leman russ which is a lumpy dog turd of a kit or a premium tank kit with clear plastic parts, fully articulated track, fully detailed interior, more metal parts than the leman russ has parts and tons of exterior customization options for basically the same money. If you're willing to settle for just some metal etched parts and and a fully detailed interior it's like half the price.

It's close to home because some of my friends are picking up 40k again and I'm like... I could buy some GW kits or I could just buy some Perry dudes, call them IG and move on with my life.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 6, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Texmo posted:

The sprues are well designed and manufactured out of a good plastic, which holds the detail well. They're both the same.

How much detail there is on a mini has nothing to do with production quality, rather it is a design decision, and the bucket of extraneous nonsense being tipped into every GW mini by their cad designers is a huge negative to me.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 6, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Are you really comparing the Perry Brothers, who did the sculpting on the Green Knight, to loving army men?

Yeah but they're not orcs and space Marines.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's also a bullshit point generally. Moving into niche products you can get a leman russ which is a lumpy dog turd of a kit or a premium tank kit with clear plastic parts, fully articulated track, fully detailed interior, more metal parts than the leman russ has parts and tons of exterior customization options for basically the same money. If you're willing to settle for just some metal etched parts and and a fully detailed interior it's like half the price.

It's close to home because some of my friends are picking up 40k again and I'm like... I could buy some GW kits or I could just buy some Perry dudes, call them IG and move on with my life.

If you compare the Perry Bros. sculpts with those Bucket Soldiers, you'll feel the exact same as I do when people compare GW kits to Mantic.
Perry's stuff is cheaper because they don't own the World War 2 IP, and since they're competing against anyone who feels like making some little army men, they can't price as they could if they owned the IP to their sculpts.
A more accurate comparison would be Wyrd, or Corvus Belli, or Privateer Press, where the prices start to look awfully similar.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Texmo posted:

If you compare the Perry Bros. sculpts with those Bucket Soldiers, you'll feel the exact same as I do when people compare GW kits to Mantic.
Perry's stuff is cheaper because they don't own the World War 2 IP, and since they're competing against anyone who feels like making some little army men, they can't price as they could if they owned the IP to their sculpts.
A more accurate comparison would be Wyrd, or Corvus Belli, or Privateer Press, where the prices start to look awfully similar.

I'd accept a reasonable price premium to reflect the overheads, but it's not reasonable given how limited the product is. We're comparing $1.05 per figure including three head and weapon customization options vs $4.80 dollars a figure with none of that, though I do think they have more leg/torso flexibility (it's been a while since I made an IG kit). The Perry's stuff is awesome value yes, but seriously?

The comparison is sillier when you look at kits like the Lemon Russ. Compare the Leman kit to this https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6253.htm though that is a much bigger 1:35 kit.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 6, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

It's also extremely over complicated
I disagree, but that may be because I see its complication as a (a pretty solid) real attempt to root out the bullshit interpretations people come up with in poorly-written rules. Yes, Infinity has some weird corner cases and a few FAQs awaiting an official answer - but it doesn't stop you from playing the game and there are very rarely arguments over the rules during a game. And aside from a plethora of different weapon profiles (most of which boil down to difference in range bands and difference in damage type), everything works pretty much the same way. And some stuff (like cover or line-of-fire) is so much easier that it makes the rest of the game play very quickly and easily.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Dark Eldar Slave Girls. Just sayin'.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'd accept a reasonable price premium to reflect the overheads, but it's not reasonable given how limited the product is. We're comparing $1.05 per figure including three head and weapon customization options vs $4.80 dollars a figure with none of that, though I do think they have more leg/torso flexibility (it's been a while since I made an IG kit). The Perry's stuff is awesome value yes, but seriously?

The comparison is sillier when you look at kits like the Lemon Russ. Compare the Leman kit to this https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6253.htm

You're missing the point. They are not the only miniatures company who produce 1/35 scale Tiger tanks; they are competing with Tamiya and plenty of other companies who produce WW2 tanks.
Games Workshop are the only company who can (legally) produce Leman Russ tanks, so have effectively no competition.
This is why you should be making comparisons to Wyrd, Corvus Belli, Privateer Press, other companies who own their IP and have effectively no competition.
They, along with GW, make attractive, distinctive miniatures, and price them accordingly, their main competition vector being the strength of their IP, not the price of their models.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 6, 2017

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Ilor posted:

Dark Eldar Slave Girls'.

Aren't those sculpts like literally 30 years old were originally from a Thrud the Barbarian thing?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Texmo posted:

You're missing the point. They are not the only miniatures company who produce 1/35 scale Tiger tanks; they are competing with Tamiya and plenty of other companies who produce WW2 tanks.
Games Workshop are the only company who can (legally) produce Leman Russ tanks, so have effectively no competition.
This is why you should be making comparisons to Wyrd, Corvus Belli, Privateer Press, other companies who own their IP and have effectively no competition.
They, along with GW, make attractive, distinctive miniatures, and price them accordingly, their main competition vector being the strength of their IP, not the price of their models.

I don't really agree? I mean, I see your point - you're saying that Perry WWII guys are an imperfect substitute for GW miniatures and the reduction in utility I'd get from a company of Perry dudes vs a company of IG is worth ~$650 dollars.

Partly because I no longer really enjoy playing 40k (due to the fundamental failing of the game to have an central thesis/mission statement as outlined in my previous post about scale), I'm not sure this is particularly true? I mean, heck, as long as I painted them, is anyone going to complain in a beer and pretezels game if I slap down four boxes of painted Perry Desert Rats and say they count as Imperial guard?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 6, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't really agree? I mean, I see your point - you're saying that Perry WWII guys are an imperfect substitute for GW miniatures and the reduction in utility I'd get from a company of Perry dudes vs a company of IG is worth ~$550 dollars.

Which is, what, 5 triple AAA games and a trio of board-games?

Partly because I no longer really enjoy playing 40k (due to the fundamental failing of the game to have an central thesis/mission statement).

I think he's more saying that Perry should be compared to other historicals and not to GW because they face different types of competition. It's not a question of utility. Comparing Perry to GW is kind of like comparing EA to GW. Perry and GW are only superficially making the same product.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't really agree? I mean, I see your point - you're saying that Perry WWII guys are an imperfect substitute for GW miniatures and the reduction in utility I'd get from a company of Perry dudes vs a company of IG is worth ~$550 dollars.

Which is, what, 5 triple AAA games and a trio of board-games?

I don't see it.

You can see that maybe it's worthwhile to buy Perry army men instead of Bucket army men due to the value in the quality upgrade right?
Intellectual Property inherently makes things more valuable, because people want their Guardsmen to look like Guardsmen and not Historical Soldier, and so GW can charge more for their Unique Product.

edit: Yeah, also what Atlas Hugged said.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Alternatively we can use Perry as something of a baseline for what well designed, high quality plastic miniatures can be produced and sold for presumably at a profit. If anything it demonstrates how dumb GW fans are for purchasing hover-sled-trucks at whatever that's being sold for all in the name of chasing an IP.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Aren't those sculpts like literally 30 years old were originally from a Thrud the Barbarian thing?
And that is exactly the defense people give of CB - the sculpts are old, yadda yadda. There's new cheesecake too, for both companies. Boobie-daemonettes, anyone?

Also, I'll take cheesecake minis over fluff that involves women being only good for pure-blood sacrifices for psychic uber-menschen any day of the week.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

and move on with my life.

Woah woah woah, don't get too crazy now.

I'd like to listen to the thought process of goons that hate everything GW but can't stop posting about it. Do they wake up with an urge to go onto the internet and tell everyone how much they don't like a toy company they've had nothing to do with for the past 4+ years, or does it slowly seep into their mind as the day progresses?

Do they see things in their day to day life that triggers off this hatred, such as the array of GW product squatting on their nerd store shelf space that could otherwise service perfectly good Pop! Vinyl figures?

Perhaps they're disgusted at how their friends like one clearly inferior toy tank that has a host of rules over a different toy tank for the same price but features photo-etched parts they could let their imagination run wild inventing rules for!

Then, hark! While angry glaring at a toy company's range that inexplicably refuses to die in their accustomed position they assume for half an hour every day they hear something: the sounds of wargaming! They spin around, luxurious locks of long hair (carefully restored to a fine grease sheen as nature intended) gently brushing gathered dust off the warmachine boxes to spy upon the game. What could it be, a fine game of Infinity miniatures with its incredible depth? Perhaps they are playing a pick-up game of frostgrave as is so common in his headcanon?

No! No! No!

It is the terrible game, the wretched game, it is W A R H A MM E R!

The nerve! The folly! Do they not see the mistake? Look at how they move their models in this most shallow and depthless of games! Spy upon them looking up and using rules for their units in this most bloated and overcomplex of games! Don't they know they could be playing with a free unpopular and untested ruleset they got online, moving tanks of all makes and time periods and scales instead!? Why this makes the goon so mad! Merely marching right over to the players and preaching the folly of their ways would be insufficient and require human interaction, no sir, this requires more drastic action! He must post in the Death Thread of Something Awful Dot Com!

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 6, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Texmo posted:

You can see that maybe it's worthwhile to buy Perry army men instead of Bucket army men due to the value in the quality upgrade right?
Intellectual Property inherently makes things more valuable, because people want their Guardsmen to look like Guardsmen and not Historical Soldier, and so GW can charge more for their Unique Product.

edit: Yeah, also what Atlas Hugged said.

I think 'quality upgrade' is a super loaded term here. I reacted badly initially because when you say 'quality' to me I move to fairly objective things - does it have good detail in the molding? Is there flash? You mean something different though. Let's take the quality thing into a couple of parts. There is:

A) The 'artistic' quality of the sculpts - Do they have good proprotions, dynamic posing, have nice detail, and good customization options?
B) The 'production' quality of the sculpts - do they have flash, mould lines, good quality plastic etc
C) The 'accuracy' of the sculpts - Do they look like whatever I am planning to use them as.

I think we both agree that the Perry stuff is just as good as the GW stuff on points A+B - the difference here is 'C' how much do they look like what they are supposed to look like. Part of the reason I pick on IG is that a bunch of IG regiments are totally ripped off historical units. Heck, what about if we throw a third party sci-fi weapon pack onto the Perry pile?

But that doesn't really get to why I might percieve the GW guys are more 'valuable' - I think you'd agree the unique selling point of the Cadians over the Perry Africa Korps is is because I can plug into the network effect of GW/40k

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think he's more saying that Perry should be compared to other historicals and not to GW because they face different types of competition. It's not a question of utility. Comparing Perry to GW is kind of like comparing EA to GW. Perry and GW are only superficially making the same product.

Yeah, but I obviously disagree - I feel they are competing in the same market segment. I mean, this is the death thread. A lot of people here have probably stopped playing 40k at some point. What they did they do instead? In my case it was take up other hobby activities (RPGs/computer games/board games) and play other wargames (both hex and chit and model based). In a very real sense 40k (which is GW rules + GW models) is competing against Chain of Command (which is Two Fat Lardies Rues + whoevers models) as well as Warmahordes. The big difference is more people play 40k and that is a big advantage.

So this is where the 'GW is charging a premium price for a premium product' hits a wall for me. The value isn't the IP - it's the network effect. It's a lot easier to get a game of 40k than a game of Chain of Command. That's real and that has value, but you cannot really sell me that it has that much value because the game.. just isn't that exciting as a piece of tactical gameplay.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Alternatively we can use Perry as something of a baseline for what well designed, high quality plastic miniatures can be produced and sold for presumably at a profit. If anything it demonstrates how dumb GW fans are for purchasing hover-sled-trucks at whatever that's being sold for all in the name of chasing an IP.

Edit: Yeah, this is how I was looking at it - is the network effect worth literally paying a 350% price premium?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 6, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gw was selling naked titty minis back when i played 40k, and they let that sculptor make plenty of other overly sexualized female models across most of their range, so i find it pretty funny when tkwg only argument against infinity is posting pics of old cheesecake sculpts. if he wasnt such a garbage tier poster, maybe he would take the time to upload a newer cheesecake model to imgur instead to try and prove that cb hasnt changed much

perhaps they should go the gw route; phase out most of their female models while still ensuring the remainder have boob plate armor and combat heels

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
like a better way to mock infinity would be pointing out its eurotrash anime knockoff aesthetic

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

like a better way to mock infinity would be pointing out its eurotrash anime knockoff aesthetic

Do they still have the robot furry rape spaceships?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

I don't really think it's the network effect, because that doesn't really explain how stuff like this for a nowhere-near-as-popular game costs $135
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/us-konflikt-47-starter-set

especailly when you compare it to, say, the new 40k set which is $160, and has two factions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Texmo posted:

I don't really think it's the network effect, because that doesn't really explain how stuff like this for a nowhere-near-as-popular game costs $135
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/us-konflikt-47-starter-set

especailly when you compare it to, say, the new 40k set which is $160, and has two factions.

I'd love to see sales numbers on that.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
modern gw stuff feels like watching a trailer for a transformers movie, it's obvious that all that stuff requires a high level of technical skill but it still looks like garbage

having access to fancy tools is great if you have the talent and self-restraint to use them well but they just make things worse when you put them in the hands of someone with the aesthetic sense of a teenage boy

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'd love to see sales numbers on that.

Yeah i was looking to make some other point which I promptly forgot when I saw the ridiculous price

edit:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

someone with the aesthetic sense of a teenage boy

Are you thinking of a different Games Workshop to the one that put this in the Rogue Trader rulebook?

Texmo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 6, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Texmo posted:

Yeah i was looking to make some other point which I promptly forgot when I saw the ridiculous price

look at this, then try to remember whatever other point it was you were trying to make. im sure it was a dozy!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Texmo posted:

Not gonna disagree that there are some garbage products out there. It appears though that is their price for ALL their starter sets - the WWII bolt action starters are the same money!

Edit: Yeah, appears to be a street price vs RRP issue.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

modern gw stuff feels like watching a trailer for a transformers movie, it's obvious that all that stuff requires a high level of technical skill but it still looks like garbage

having access to fancy tools is great if you have the talent and self-restraint to use them well but they just make things worse when you put them in the hands of someone with the aesthetic sense of a teenage boy

Half GW's problem is the paint jobs though. The 'eavy Metal style wanks itself furiously over picking out every single detail as eye-poppingly as possible, regardless of how that looks overall. The stuff normally looks much better in the hands of people not restricted to a particular corporate style who can mute that stuff a bit and make it more cohesive.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Ilor posted:

And that is exactly the defense people give of CB - the sculpts are old, yadda yadda. There's new cheesecake too, for both companies. Boobie-daemonettes, anyone?

Also, I'll take cheesecake minis over fluff that involves women being only good for pure-blood sacrifices for psychic uber-menschen any day of the week.
:catstare:

uh

you be you, I guess?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Death Thread... ungood

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, but I obviously disagree - I feel they are competing in the same market segment. I mean, this is the death thread. A lot of people here have probably stopped playing 40k at some point. What they did they do instead? In my case it was take up other hobby activities (RPGs/computer games/board games) and play other wargames (both hex and chit and model based). In a very real sense 40k (which is GW rules + GW models) is competing against Chain of Command (which is Two Fat Lardies Rues + whoevers models) as well as Warmahordes. The big difference is more people play 40k and that is a big advantage.

So this is where the 'GW is charging a premium price for a premium product' hits a wall for me. The value isn't the IP - it's the network effect. It's a lot easier to get a game of 40k than a game of Chain of Command. That's real and that has value, but you cannot really sell me that it has that much value because the game.. just isn't that exciting as a piece of tactical gameplay.

Edit: Yeah, this is how I was looking at it - is the network effect worth literally paying a 350% price premium?

Lol if you think people who want to play 40k has that much overlap with people who want to play historicals. You need to remember that every historical game is just an insect compared to the might of Games Workshop.

I like historicals personally, and I love Perry Brothers minis and Too Fat Lardies to death, but try asking the average 20 something if they want to get a game of Sharp Practice in.

This is also setting aside the section of people who think playing a fun game about real people who have been killed in horrible war is deeply disturbing. No matter how cool the tanks are, if you play Germany in WW2 games there is just a little part of you that is OK having fun as the "systematic atrocity" guys.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hamshot posted:

Woah woah woah, don't get too crazy now.

I'd like to listen to the thought process of goons that hate everything GW but can't stop posting about it. Do they wake up with an urge to go onto the internet and tell everyone how much they don't like a toy company they've had nothing to do with for the past 4+ years, or does it slowly seep into their mind as the day progresses?

Do they see things in their day to day life that triggers off this hatred, such as the array of GW product squatting on their nerd store shelf space that could otherwise service perfectly good Pop! Vinyl figures?

Perhaps they're disgusted at how their friends like one clearly inferior toy tank that has a host of rules over a different toy tank for the same price but features photo-etched parts they could let their imagination run wild inventing rules for!

Then, hark! While angry glaring at a toy company's range that inexplicably refuses to die in their accustomed position they assume for half an hour every day they hear something: the sounds of wargaming! They spin around, luxurious locks of long hair (carefully restored to a fine grease sheen as nature intended) gently brushing gathered dust off the warmachine boxes to spy upon the game. What could it be, a fine game of Infinity miniatures with its incredible depth? Perhaps they are playing a pick-up game of frostgrave as is so common in his headcanon?

No! No! No!

It is the terrible game, the wretched game, it is W A R H A MM E R!

The nerve! The folly! Do they not see the mistake? Look at how they move their models in this most shallow and depthless of games! Spy upon them looking up and using rules for their units in this most bloated and overcomplex of games! Don't they know they could be playing with a free unpopular and untested ruleset they got online, moving tanks of all makes and time periods and scales instead!? Why this makes the goon so mad! Merely marching right over to the players and preaching the folly of their ways would be insufficient and require human interaction, no sir, this requires more drastic action! He must post in the Death Thread of Something Awful Dot Com!

Is this post real???

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

Is this post real???

Don't quote him, it defeats having him on ignore. TIA.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Is any of this real? Did they really throw the IP for the best selling fantasy game in the bin? Does anyone care?

Skulls.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Is any of this real? Did they really throw the IP for the best selling fantasy game in the bin? Does anyone care?

Skulls.

They did, for big, golden, fantasy-marine analogues and reality balls. It blows smelly, hairy goats. I know, because i sold mine.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Lol if you think people who want to play 40k has that much overlap with people who want to play historicals. You need to remember that every historical game is just an insect compared to the might of Games Workshop.

I like historicals personally, and I love Perry Brothers minis and Too Fat Lardies to death, but try asking the average 20 something if they want to get a game of Sharp Practice in.

This is also setting aside the section of people who think playing a fun game about real people who have been killed in horrible war is deeply disturbing. No matter how cool the tanks are, if you play Germany in WW2 games there is just a little part of you that is OK having fun as the "systematic atrocity" guys.

I do agree historicals are not the biggest contender to GW for people's hobby dollar. I suspect it's Magic, board games, X-wing, RPGs, other sci-fi mini games, fantasy games, other CCGs, historicals, and hex and chit war games in roughly that order.

That's just based on gut feel, and the various people I know who have and play 40k rather than me seeing any market research though, but yeah I do think GW is head to head with a bunch of other segements for the same dollars.

I just like using historical games as an example because I play IG and find the head to head comparison in quality of plastic per dollar so amazingly egarious that it blows my mind. If I decide to play 40k again it will be with counts as historical models. Tons of other ways to look at it though.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Don't quote him, it defeats having him on ignore. TIA.

only bitches use ignore function :cool:

• Locked thread