Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/DaleCoyneRacing/status/871865869651062785

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lord Crapulus posted:

If they have to neuter the track to race there, it's not worth it.

(looks at sears point) 🤔

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I mean they could race on the full layout but I guess they think cutting the S curves is better for passing (but not really)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

dentist toy box posted:

I mean they could race on the full layout but I guess they think cutting the S curves is better for passing (but not really)

That last chicane before the hairpin really is wretched. I get not going all the way to the last S corner and NASCAR hairpin due to the lack of runoff, but it'd be so much better if they just bypassed the chicane before the shorter one.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Amazing, because we were talking about this movie in the F1 thread yesterday :D

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wicka went to watch it and never returned!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Have you ever played the Driven game? I recommend that you do not do that, ever.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That sounds like a challenge

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It's a challenge in the same way sticking red-hot needles in your eye is a challenge.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
remember when the crashes in it were like "lol what the gently caress is this CGI bullshit"

and then Las Vegas happened

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Have you ever played the Driven game? I recommend that you do not do that, ever.

What the gently caress are you talking about? CART Fury looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3UUYFaxUos

Could they not get the rights to the CART teams like other games of that era?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I played CART Fury a poo poo ton at the giant arcade in Circle Centre Mall when I was a teenager. Wonder if it's still there.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

WindyMan posted:

But…

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/motor/2017/06/01/belle-isle-grand-prix-races-cash/102410842/

This is pretty interesting. You have a race that's hindered by the confines of the island it races on, but even if the race itself is a money loser, the fact that it generates the difference and more in conservancy efforts and B2B networking means Penske & Co. don't see Detroit the race weekend as a net loss. We'll see if Detroit the City agrees with that idea and reups for a few more years.

Well they need to get approval not only from Detroit but also the state of Michigan DNR which took over the park operations recently.
The race is definitely not about the profit, most of the people I see there are on tickets provided by their employer etc. This year I had a work meeting there for example.
They'll re-up but there is going to be a more restricted set-up time. Whenever Penske bites the big one and pushes off the mortal coil the race isn't going to be in good shape though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, Roger essentially uses Detroit as his private B2B schmoozing session for his insane empire of automotive businesses

Its crazy to think that next year, Roger will have nine "championship caliber" teams in Cup, IndyCar, and IMSA (sure we havent seen it, but an Oreca with an HPD engine driven by Montoya sounds like a championship team)... when he dies, all of American racing is in trouble.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Naw after nuclear annihilation of the entire planet Penske and AJ Foyt are gonna have a fist fight in the ruins of Indianapolis.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Someone please tell me that more of Roger's holdings go to Tim Cindric instead of Jay.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Someone please tell me that more of Roger's holdings go to Tim Cindric instead of Jay.

IIRC? That is the plan.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you really want a future 30 years from now where Austin Cindric is head of the Penske organization?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? CART Fury looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3UUYFaxUos

Could they not get the rights to the CART teams like other games of that era?

I think Midway had exclusive rights to CART teams

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

Yeah, Roger essentially uses Detroit as his private B2B schmoozing session for his insane empire of automotive businesses

Its crazy to think that next year, Roger will have nine "championship caliber" teams in Cup, IndyCar, and IMSA (sure we havent seen it, but an Oreca with an HPD engine driven by Montoya sounds like a championship team)... when he dies, all of American racing is in trouble.

His team in V8 Supercars is doing really well this year too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dentist toy box posted:

Do you really want a future 30 years from now where Austin Cindric is head of the Penske organization?

Do you want the one (insert a likely way too soon to be comfortable timeframe here) from now where Jay "Dragon Racing" "The World Is My Urinal" Penske is the head of it instead?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

There's three major king pins that can either save or kill off indycar in the post-split era.

Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti. Those three names IMO? Made the IRL legitimate in 03, and helped likely save the "500" from 2000 or so. Back in the day names like Foyt, Newman-Haas, Patrick, Gurney, Jones were likely in that conversation, but the series always needs big "George Steinbrenner" figures for it to survive.

A stable Penske organization that can survive for a long rear end time ala McLaren would really help the sport stay afloat.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Penske the organization is going to be around a long time after Penske the man leaves us. Roger's too smart of a man, and a business man, to set up his legacy's failure after he goes.

The question is how much of an impact the series will have once he goes. Will Penske continue to be a 4-car operation? Will Penske's business connections waver once the man himself isn't around to steer the ship? Will it matter by that time, with new teams in the series and hopefully a third engine manufacturer?

Can we not talk about this for another 10 years? I'm going to go with that option.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Our company sells to some race teams, including Andretti, so we now have a little note on our bulletin board since they just won the 500. It was written by our new marketing person, who writes "Andretti Racing, who just won the Indie 500!" :suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lord Crapulus posted:

Our company sells to some race teams, including Andretti, so we now have a little note on our bulletin board since they just won the 500. It was written by our new marketing person, who writes "Andretti Racing, who just won the Indie 500!" :suicide:

That should be grounds for firing :colbert:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Take that man's job he's clearly not equipped for it

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Owner's daughter, she's not going anywhere. She's been here for like a year after finally realizing that her music degree wasn't very useful.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Well then. I think someone needs to be show the magic marketing involved in RACING.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
:frogsiren: BREAKING NEWS :frogsiren:

Dallara selected to provide Verizon IndyCar Series' universal bodywork kit in 2018

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS (Tuesday, June 6, 2017) - INDYCAR announced today that longtime partner Dallara Automobili will manufacture the universal bodywork kit that will fit the current Dallara IR-12 chassis for the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

The universal kit to be used by all teams next season was a collaboration between INDYCAR and Dallara with the style design support of Chris Beatty, a concept design and 3D animation consultant based in the United Kingdom. The goal was to make the car resemble past Indy car favorites with a sleek, bold look while incorporating the latest technological and safety advancements.

INDYCAR has scheduled the first test of the universal kit's superspeedway oval configuration for July 25-26 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The road-course configuration will be tested Aug. 1 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, the day following the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio, the 13th race on this year's Verizon IndyCar Series schedule. Other tests are scheduled for Aug. 28 (at Iowa Speedway) and Sept. 26 (at Sebring International Raceway).

Spinning Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPBZnH-qerM

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Both configurations look really nice. The track aero reminds me a little bit of the old Lola A1GP cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Vautier is in at Coyne for Texas. He's becoming the 2010s Gualter Salles.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

Vautier is in at Coyne for Texas. He's becoming the 2010s Gualter Salles.

I'll take Vautier over Pippa everytime

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

:frogsiren: BREAKING NEWS :frogsiren:

Dallara selected to provide Verizon IndyCar Series' universal bodywork kit in 2018

Spinning Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPBZnH-qerM

I cannot wait to see this in action on the track.

I will be very, very happy if IndyCar livestreams these tests.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that oval car, holy gently caress man

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

I cannot wait to see this in action on the track.

I will be very, very happy if IndyCar livestreams these tests.

They will, I see no reason why they wouldn't, especially since they realized that streaming is very much a thing, and that people WILL watch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That car looks awesome, I will miss the DW12 tbh. It provided great racing, even if it was ugly.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That car looks awesome, I will miss the DW12 tbh. It provided great racing, even if it was ugly.

It's still the base DW12 chassis, just with updated aero

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I personally don't like the aero pieces in front of the rears, but those are there so cars can't flip each other correct?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I personally don't like the aero pieces in front of the rears, but those are there so cars can't flip each other correct?

Well the full rear-wheel guards are going away, but yeah the whole point is to prevent wheel-to-wheel contact between front and rear wheels causing cars to go airborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Yeah, and the way they are designed in the renderings also dramatically decrease drag from the rear wheels while dramatically upping the low turbulence downforce created by the tray by redirecting the air over the top of the tray exit, which sucks air out from under the car. Basically, its gonna make the cars faster, safer, and run closer.

But I do agree about the look of em, its my least fav part of the new car.

• Locked thread