Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Next spin off show will be Don Hector starting out as a cartel member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Starring Mark Margolis in a toupée

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is it normal that a regional bank would have a single lawyer. I feel like anything more than a single location pizza shop in my town would need a big ol team of lawyers.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it normal that a regional bank would have a single lawyer. I feel like anything more than a single location pizza shop in my town would need a big ol team of lawyers.

Probably not, but I don't think she's their sole lawyer, just the only lawyer they hired to help oversee this "four corners expansion" project.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I really feel like we should have seen Hamlin and Chuck's conversation and Chuck's reaction this episode rather than holding off, but other than that, good episode.

I was questioning why Nacho had to bust the A/C, but then it dawned on me that it was to ensure that Hector would not be wearing his coat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cnut the Great posted:

Because he's a sad broken man and it's a healthy part of being human to feel compassion and empathy for such people when they make strides toward getting better.
He's also hosed over Jimmy at every turn because of a dumb childhood grudge

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I really feel like we should have seen Hamlin and Chuck's conversation and Chuck's reaction this episode rather than holding off, but other than that, good episode.

I was questioning why Nacho had to bust the A/C, but then it dawned on me that it was to ensure that Hector would not be wearing his coat.

Not only that, but put Hector under the heat and off his guard, and to cover his nervous sweating. Pretty slick scene.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chuck is all "Gosh, I'm severely mentally ill? Well, then, I'll just think myself better! Ha ha, that was easy!", and the reality truck is barreling in his direction and picking up speed.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Selachian posted:

Chuck is all "Gosh, I'm severely mentally ill? Well, then, I'll just think myself better! Ha ha, that was easy!", and the reality truck is barreling in his direction and picking up speed.

"You can't quintuple my malpractice insurance, I bought eggs!" 😡

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Selachian posted:

At this rate I'm pretty sure Chuck is going to be full-on committed, and it may come as soon as the end of this season with Jimmy helping it along. Chuck pushes himself too far too fast, the malpractice insurance, and the damage to the HHM name that Hamlin's been trying to clean up is all too much for him.

It was pretty wild to see Chuck even manage a grocery story visit this quickly though, I mean I'm sure the doctor is right but he is certainly on the right track when last we saw him.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He's also hosed over Jimmy at every turn because of a dumb childhood grudge

It's possible to feel empathy for the 'villains' of TV shows, you know. Besides, everything he's done wrong just boils down to family drama, it's not like he's shoving puppies into a wood chipper.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

NowonSA posted:

At this rate I'm pretty sure Chuck is going to be full-on committed, and it may come as soon as the end of this season with Jimmy helping it along. Chuck pushes himself too far too fast, the malpractice insurance, and the damage to the HHM name that Hamlin's been trying to clean up is all too much for him.

It was pretty wild to see Chuck even manage a grocery story visit this quickly though, I mean I'm sure the doctor is right but he is certainly on the right track when last we saw him.

That was the ER doc right? Not even a psychiatrist?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Selachian posted:

I dunno. I feel like Chuck is a dude who gets poo poo done when he really, truly puts his mind to it. Decent odds he works through his Jimmy complex because it's at the core of his EMF delusion, and tries to make legitimate amends. (And then Jimmy destroys him anyway.)

For a while I've been advocating the position that all of Jimmy's seriously shady actions were directly or indirectly motivated by Chuck's machinations and the fallout from them. We've now reached the point where that isn't true anymore. I'd compare it to the point in Breaking Bad where Gretchen offers to cover all of Walt's medical bills and he could've stopped cooking meth.

(There's also an argument to be made that that point was when he got the job at D&M and didn't have to bend the rules to make decent money, but I'm of the position that Chuck's suiting up just to come to board meetings and harass him gave him a significant extra push towards "gently caress this" that he could've managed without)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Javid posted:

I dunno. I feel like Chuck is a dude who gets poo poo done when he really, truly puts his mind to it. Decent odds he works through his Jimmy complex because it's at the core of his EMF delusion, and tries to make legitimate amends. (And then Jimmy destroys him anyway.)

For a while I've been advocating the position that all of Jimmy's seriously shady actions were directly or indirectly motivated by Chuck's machinations and the fallout from them. We've now reached the point where that isn't true anymore. I'd compare it to the point in Breaking Bad where Gretchen offers to cover all of Walt's medical bills and he could've stopped cooking meth.

(There's also an argument to be made that that point was when he got the job at D&M and didn't have to bend the rules to make decent money, but I'm of the position that Chuck's suiting up just to come to board meetings and harass him gave him a significant extra push towards "gently caress this" that he could've managed without)

I think Walter really broke bad when he had enough :10bux: to pay for treatment + college and kept going

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol @ jimmy literally laying in the dirt with a fistfull of cash. little on the nose with that one

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

NowonSA posted:

chucks recovery and his danger to HHM means hes getting hosed over by end of season, specifically by hamlin.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
McKean is really outstanding on this show. His whole scene with the doctor really makes you forget all the terrible things Chuck has done. "If it's all in my head...then what have I done?" was heartbreaking. I'm honestly rooting for Chuck to make a comeback, even though I know it's probably not where the show is heading.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
It could honestly be a fakeout. He just goes into the insurance company, say 'yeah I've been off sick with a mental health issue, that's why I've barely practiced in three years. I'm in treatment and don't expect to be back full time for a while. Is there something we can work out here? You don't discriminate against legitimate health problems do you?'

Plus, it's the insurance for one man, not the entire firm, and he's not been hit with a malpractice suit or a conduct charge by the bar, so the grounds the insurer has to ramp the premiums up on a long time customer with a flawless record seems pretty shakey. Even if they do ramp the premiums up, so what? Just eat it, he's rich as hell.

Push come shove just find a different insurer.

This just seems to me to be a problem with a million different solutions before you whack the 'kill self with a paraffin lamp' button.

EDIT: I too want to see chuck become a magnanimous figure, healed and ready to admit his faults.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

hiddenmovement posted:

EDIT: I too want to see chuck become a magnanimous figure, healed and ready to admit his faults.

This is what I expect because then when Jimmy really ruins him it'll be so much worse.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
All this stress is going to give Kim a fake allergy to electricity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That moment when Jimmy realizes that dirtbag drugdealers will pay up without argument while honest businessmen try to screw him out of paying him ("Oh we'll just redo exactly what you did ourselves instead of paying you for more, can't say fairer than that!") was simultaneously a little fistpump moment and deeply depressing. He's gonna go off the deep-end fast.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm dense as hell who was the dead guy mike metal detected at the beginning

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Riptor posted:

I'm dense as hell who was the dead guy mike metal detected at the beginning

Good Samaritan that Hector had killed after he helped the truck driver that Mike hijacked. That story he heard in the survivor's group about the lady's husband being missing and how it left her with no sense of certainty reminded him that the samaritan probably has family out there somewhere wondering why their husband/brother/father/son etc never came home/what happened to him.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the music store guys were just good businessman

they shouldn't pay extra just so Jimmy can unload his commercial slots

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The chuck hate in this thread is especially weird in this episode where he's just trying to get his life back together

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the music store guys were just good businessman

they shouldn't pay extra just so Jimmy can unload his commercial slots

Nah, they're fuckheads. He gave them a free commercial, completely risk free for them and all the cost on him upfront, and all he asked in return was if it worked to honor their original agreement. It brought them a fuckload of business and they tried to weasel out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hiddenmovement posted:

Nah, they're fuckheads. He gave them a free commercial, completely risk free for them and all the cost on him upfront, and all he asked in return was if it worked to honor their original agreement. It brought them a fuckload of business and they tried to weasel out.

Help Im Alive posted:

The chuck hate in this thread is especially weird in this episode where he's just trying to get his life back together

These posts go so well together.

Like yeah I like Jimmy and dislike Chuck but if you had to deal with one of them in a serious manner you best hope you get Chuck. The guitar bros were absolutely right to call Jimmy out. He's trying to hustle his "clients", that's the whole point of the past few eps. And agreeing to a verbal deal does not actually oblige you to pay the scumbag commercial guy who's weaseling his way out of his own agreement with the network. You absolutely could and should just hire your own film students and pay the network directly for a vastly reduced expense.

Meanwhile Chuck's main crimes are mental illness, loving his dad, and harboring resentment. He's an rear end in a top hat but most of us are, so... We don't end up being lying hucksters.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 6, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wouldn't really say he's been trying to hustle anyone with his commercials. Unless you can get a crew to shoot, produce and edit for free the cost for the commercial slot isn't the lone expense.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

phosdex posted:

I wouldn't really say he's been trying to hustle anyone with his commercials. Unless you can get a crew to shoot, produce and edit for free the cost for the commercial slot isn't the lone expense.

He's sidestepping his contract with the network by trying to sell x commercials once each instead of the more reasonable one commercial, x times. Any of his clients could just reach out to some other desperate film students and make their own commercial, and pay the 450 or whatever for 7 slots instead of paying 6500 for 7 slots but with different commercials. It's not like he's offering an actual professional shoot.

If you don't think that Slippin' Jimmy is hustling then idfk

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There's a lot of things companies do they could go through the effort on their own to save a few bucks. But they don't.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Meanwhile Chuck's main crimes are mental illness, loving his dad, and harboring resentment. He's an rear end in a top hat but most of us are, so... We don't end up being lying hucksters.

It's really a key point that Chuck isn't in a right state of mind and has been out of it for a long time.

Honestly it's the relationship between Chuck and Jimmy that I love. It's such a perfect portrayal of troubled siblings. They both still care about each other but their deep personal flaws keep widening the rift between them. The car crash is coming and it's going to be heartbreaking to see.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The guitar bros were absolutely right to call Jimmy out. He's trying to hustle his "clients", that's the whole point of the past few eps. And agreeing to a verbal deal does not actually oblige you to pay the scumbag commercial guy who's weaseling his way out of his own agreement with the network. You absolutely could and should just hire your own film students and pay the network directly for a vastly reduced expense.

Then they shouldn't have agreed to take the first commercial and airing for free. They also could have done all of that research and found out what the airtime cost BEFORE they agreed to taking the first commercial for free.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Then they shouldn't have agreed to take the first commercial and airing for free. They also could have done all of that research and found out what the airtime cost BEFORE they agreed to taking the first commercial for free.

On that same token, if Jimmy didn't want them to bail when they found out how ripped off they were getting, he should have had them sign something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

They said "yeah ok", that doesn't obligate them to do poo poo. Jimmy knows that, he's a loving lawyer. He proceeds to scam them when they call his bluff.

It's a shakedown, just with brains instead of brawn.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They said "yeah ok", that doesn't obligate them to do poo poo. Jimmy knows that, he's a loving lawyer. He proceeds to scam them when they call his bluff.

It's a shakedown, just with brains instead of brawn.

I'm not talking about any sort of legal obligation. My point goes back to what Mike said back in Season 1, "You make a deal with someone, you keep your word." These questions about why they're shooting multiple commercials and getting the airtime for free should have come before they agreed to take the initial commercial and airtime for free. Now that they already got it AND saw an increase in business, they want to renege on the agreement? How is that not just them pulling their own hustle? They might be on the right side of the law, that doesn't mean they're not as contemptible as Jimmy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've just started the episode, but I'm really happy to see Chuck actually taking a look at his disorder through the lens of it being a mental problem. I can't see this going well, because it's a Vince Gilligan show.

Also, yay Marco and Dr Cruz! :toot:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I'm not talking about any sort of legal obligation. My point goes back to what Mike said back in Season 1, "You make a deal with someone, you keep your word." These questions about why they're shooting multiple commercials and getting the airtime for free should have come before they agreed to take the initial commercial and airtime for free. Now that they already got it AND saw an increase in business, they want to renege on the agreement? How is that not just them pulling their own hustle? They might be on the right side of the law, that doesn't mean they're not as contemptible as Jimmy.

I have a 95 Geo Metro I want to sell you for $7k. You don't know any better. You say "yeah okay, I'll buy it." After you say that, you do some research and find out you're getting scammed HARD.

Sucks that you said you would buy it though. Thanks for your money!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TBeats posted:

I have a 95 Geo Metro I want to sell you for $7k. You don't know any better. You say "yeah okay, I'll buy it." After you say that, you do some research and find out you're getting scammed HARD.

Sucks that you said you would buy it though. Thanks for your money!

In that scenario, what are you giving me for free? Because Jimmy gave those guys a commercial and airtime for free already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

In that scenario, what are you giving me for free? Because Jimmy gave those guys a commercial and airtime for free already.

I let you borrow it for a week beforehand.

(They also offered to pay him for what he already did.)

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread