Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

I bet you've used one of the 130+ printers or copiers marked "yes" on this list: https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots

And those are just the ones confirmed by EFF :nsa:

I work for one of those companies and that list is laughably old. Just assume every color printer in existence does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What narrative? Is there any indication the republicans are actually the ones shaping the narrative right now? Fox has dropped and dropped from first to second to third (is it still at 3rd?) in just a few months, breitbart dropped to like a bajillion in hits from like the top 100 sites to not even on any list anymore. A bunch of the big voices of the republican narrative either died or lost their jobs in the last 4 months.

There is still right wing media, it still exists, but I'm not really sure you can just go by what they say and expect that to be "the narrative" like you could a year ago when they were top of the world.
Sorry, I wasn't specific enough in my post, I mean the narrative among the right-wing. Blind and blatant propaganda.

I'm not saying the mainstream press will kowtow to that, they won't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

What's great is that everyone just blamed greedy printer manufacturers for printers refusing to print black and white
When the color cartridge is empty.

I am sure there is some scam printers that stop you for no reason but you can go through menus on most laser printers and over ride the restrictions. The ones that absolutely stop you are set up where the print head sucks air to get toner dust where sucking an empty container would plausibly hurt the mechanics.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am sure there is some scam printers that stop you for no reason but you can go through menus on most laser printers and over ride the restrictions. The ones that absolutely stop you are set up where the print head sucks air to get toner dust where sucking an empty container would plausibly hurt the mechanics.

You are conflating laser and inkjet and it is hurting my brain.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Donald Trump's parody account would be him making reasonable statements informed by reason.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Or a fog machine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paradoxish posted:

Bingo.

It was never worth freaking out over Trump as a fascist because Trump isn't a fascist, or a nationalist, or literally anything other than a narcissistic bigot who may or may not be suffering from early stages of dementia. Worry about the people he's appointed like Sessions, Pruitt, and DeVos, because they can all cause legitimate and long term harm and don't have the same checks on them that Trump does.

Obviously Trump can do a lot of damage too, but it's not because he's got some nefarious long term strategy. If Trump does something above and beyond what you'd expect from any Republican it's not going to be a big evil plot, it's going to be a spur of the moment thing that catches even his inner circle off guard (like firing Comey). He's just an idiot being manipulated by everyone around him and sometimes he lashes out by doing something really loving stupid.

You're right. Trump isn't a fascist, but the only infrastructure plan he'll *succeed* at pushing through is making it that much easier for an *actual* fascist to not only win the highest office in the land, but fully utilize it as well. America's Hitler was probably in law school when the planes hit the towers, and they're taking notes.

That's as much on Dubya and Obama who continued the "Superpresident" policies set up and modified after 9/11, both clearly thinking no one like Donald Trump would ever be in a position where he or his shitheel advisors would ever be in control of them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paradoxish posted:

Bingo.

It was never worth freaking out over Trump as a fascist because Trump isn't a fascist, or a nationalist, or literally anything other than a narcissistic bigot who may or may not be suffering from early stages of dementia. Worry about the people he's appointed like Sessions, Pruitt, and DeVos, because they can all cause legitimate and long term harm and don't have the same checks on them that Trump does.

Obviously Trump can do a lot of damage too, but it's not because he's got some nefarious long term strategy. If Trump does something above and beyond what you'd expect from any Republican it's not going to be a big evil plot, it's going to be a spur of the moment thing that catches even his inner circle off guard (like firing Comey). He's just an idiot being manipulated by everyone around him and sometimes he lashes out by doing something really loving stupid.

I mean - at the risk of cliche, a lot of what you're talking about here could be applied to Hitler, as well. Everybody seems to think he was an idiot who just hit the right buttons and his own narcissism greatly harmed the ability of any of his competent workforce to get anything done.

Maybe Trump doesn't actually believe in fascism, but he's using literally every tool in fascism's toolbox to rouse support. He's just much dumber, much older, and in a much less receptive time/place

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

The problem with all these 5D chess/distractions/fake-arguments is that you'd think if they were that adept, they'd actually be getting more stuff done. But they aren't. They're actually as retarded as portrayed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It sounds like what Reality Winner leaked may actually impede Mueller's investigation of Trump/Russia. If she's anti-Trump, why would she do that?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Josh Lyman posted:

It sounds like what Reality Winner leaked may actually impede Mueller's investigation of Trump/Russia. If she's anti-Trump, why would she do that?

because people with exciting information like telling other people about it, and don't understand the consequences?

THE WORLD NEEDS TO SEE THIS PROOF (that they would eventually see)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Josh Lyman posted:

She thought it was important for the public to see and saw how much poo poo was leaking with no repurcussions, and figured she would take her shot

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fortunately for all of us, the leaks in this white house are like the leaks on the titanic. They're on every deck and there's no way to get the barriers in place because those only go up to B deck.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Invictus posted:

Or a fog machine.

Or a group of vapers.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Zil posted:

Or a group of vapers.

Probably just another coal plant.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ice Phisherman posted:

Donald Trump's parody account would be him making reasonable statements informed by reason.

I'm 100% sure there as an account already like this, it has Trump without his toupee as profile pic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/markaz/2017/06/05/the-110-billion-arms-deal-to-saudi-arabia-is-fake-news/

That $110 billion dollar deal? Fake.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TildeATH posted:

I hope Chris Christie gets to lock him up. And while he's doing it, he's leading a "Lock him up!" chant.

Because I'm sick.

The NJ fatass is never going to go against his master.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even the goddamn simple arms deal they were going to let him sign was just 'What a big boy president you are'? :psyduck:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Night10194 posted:

Even the goddamn simple arms deal they were going to let him sign was just 'What a big boy president you are'? :psyduck:

Well yeah, they know how to help old men masturbate.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hollismason posted:

Once the fires died at Benghazi a pile of ash and sludge congealed together and made the shape of a man. Lost and weak it found sustenance by sneaking into the homes of families with newborns , quietly it crept to the child's resting place. It placed its newly formed lips over the child's and took its essence. Many to this day claim it was like the last plague of Moses. The mornings were filled the wailing of berieved families. With its new gained strength this abomination stole away on a oil ship bound for the Americas. It slept in deep blackness of the oil in the hold like a child in the womb. The crew themselves were afflicted with a wastefulness and hunger that no meal would quell. Upon arrival in our land it fled during the night its oils slick body giving it a natural camouflage. It had by then fashioned itself into the form of a man completely. Like a dog that is lost and finds its way home over thousands of miles it made a journey to our Capital. There it would build its kingdom. It gave itself a name Trey Gowdy and set to it's dark task.

Google suggests this is original work, and not a modified quote like I thought. Very evocative and engaging. Are you a writer?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm 100% sure there as an account already like this, it has Trump without his toupee as profile pic.

@maturetrumptwts

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah, nowadays if you get a sheet of printed paper from a direct source, they've done a really dumb thing. Correct me if iI'm wrong but not only does a lot of printer ink have identifiable micro-tags in it, but the printer itself prints identifiable dots on the page with that ink.

And the paper itself in some cases has some kind of indicator.

E: I guess on further reflection they were sent digitally but as was said earlier, why not just transcribe the information and paraphrase to avoid any traps of "if this person loads this document these few words are changed so we know who leaked it" as a sort of watermark.

repeating fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 6, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I can't wait to see Greenwald and Scahill explain this monumental gently caress-up on TV.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
To reiterate, since Glenn defense has again become contrarian and thus en vogue:
No matter how poorly executed Winner's leaking attempt was (and it was incredibly poorly executed),The Intercept hosed this up in thoroughly unforgivable fashion.

The reporter reached out to another government source he had. Sharing with him photos of the documents to try and determine authenticity-while also relaying that he'd received them from the mail, postmarked from Augusta, and shared where he believed Winner worked based on their conversations. It was this contractor who snitched while also effectively narrowing the scope of the hunt.

All four on the byline, and any editors involved, need to face consequences for this. The snitch needs to be unmasked, to protect the sources of other journalists who he may be working with. Whoever is The Reporter mentioned in the charges needs to spend the rest of his career doing gossip blog nonsense. A lower-stress job should help him cope with the guilt that comes from waking up a free man while someone else is imprisoned for his fuckups.

eta: She did not email The Intercept from her work email, and she did not email The Intercept to discuss leaking or any of the information involved at work. The emails in question were about asking for podcast transcripts and confirming her subscription, from her gmail account at work. Judge the gently caress out of anyone who blames her for emailing from work.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 6, 2017

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Unimaginably sloppy for an org that ever wants sensitive info given to them ever again.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Paracaidas posted:

To reiterate, since Glenn defense has again become contrarian and thus en vogue:
No matter how poorly executed Winner's leaking attempt was (and it was incredibly poorly executed),The Intercept hosed this up in thoroughly unforgivable fashion.

The reporter reached out to another government source he had. Sharing with him photos of the documents to try and determine authenticity-while also relaying that he'd received them from the mail, postmarked from Augusta, and shared where he believed Winner worked based on their conversations. It was this contractor who snitched while also effectively narrowing the scope of the hunt.

All four on the byline, and any editors involved, need to face consequences for this. The snitch needs to be unmasked, to protect the sources of other journalists who he may be working with. Whoever is The Reporter mentioned in the charges needs to spend the rest of his career doing gossip blog nonsense. A lower-stress job should help him cope with the guilt that comes from waking up a free man while someone else is imprisoned for his fuckups.
Yeah, so we can all unbookmark the Intercept because no one is gonna give them poo poo for years

Just go to the WaPo, thy'll take care of you (and get your leak a shitload of attention)

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I bet you've used one of the 130+ printers or copiers marked "yes" on this list: https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots

And those are just the ones confirmed by EFF :nsa:

Holy gently caress.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Reuters posted:

U.S. officials were blindsided by Saudi Arabia's decision to sever diplomatic ties with Qatar in a coordinated move with Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, the current and former officials said.

Washington has many reasons to want to promote comity within the region. Qatar is host to the largest U.S. air base in the Middle East at Al Udeid, a staging ground for U.S.-led strikes on the Islamic State militant group that has seized parts of Syria and Iraq. U.S. Donald Trump has made defeating Islamic State a priority of his presidency.

The current and former U.S. officials said they were unable to identify precisely what may have triggered the four countries' coordinated decision to cut ties, which was later followed by Yemen, Libya's eastern-based government and the Maldives.

They said the Saudis may have felt empowered by the warm embrace that Trump gave them when he visited Riyadh in May and adopted a harsh anti-Iran stance.

A senior administration official told Reuters the United States got no indication from the Saudis or Emiratis in Riyadh that the action was about to happen. The White House said on Monday it was committed to working to de-escalate tensions in the Gulf.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gulf-qatar-usa-idUSKBN18W2WQ

Trump's amazing diplomatic skills in action folks.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, the printer watermark stuff has been going on for a while. I read about it five, maybe ten years ago. That's the power of tiny little tricks like these, if there are enough of them then people can't keep track.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

So do you guys think TheIntercept might break up because of this? Will drama ensue between Greenwald and Scahill, for instance? Because holy poo poo, I don't see how they ever recover their credibility after this. Every CIA and NSA office is breaking out the champagne over their demise right now.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

A lovely Reporter posted:

Oh yeah, the printer watermark stuff has been going on for a while. I read about it five, maybe ten years ago. That's the power of tiny little tricks like these, if there are enough of them then people can't keep track.

Need printer driver/firmware that prints all tracking dots from all makers at once on every printed page.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I thought there was breaking news tonight that had Trump looking turbofucked or something. Was that yesterday?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Trump visited the Saudis literally 2 weeks ago, they decide to have a massive diplomatic spat with another US ally Qatar, and his administration has no idea that this was about to happen.

lol

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Even physical typewriters won't evade identification, because different models have different fonts and formatting, and once the model's pinned down they can check out the wear patterns on the individual letters and match it up to a specific typewriter. You'd have to cobble one together, swap out keys continuously, or melt it down and get a replacement periodically.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

RedSpider posted:

So do you guys think TheIntercept might break up because of this? Will drama ensue between Greenwald and Scahill, for instance? Because holy poo poo, I don't see how they ever recover their credibility after this. Every CIA and NSA office is breaking out the champagne over their demise right now.

If they take steps to make sure this doesn't happen and do it publicly (what Paracaidas posted, name and shame the reporter who gave away photos of material, consequences for those involved...), pledge to do better (OK, this sounds lame) maybe?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Grouchio posted:

I thought there was breaking news tonight that had Trump looking turbofucked or something. Was that yesterday?

Well, Russia spearphished a shitload of voting machine companies, and may have gotten into and altered Voting registration dbs.

Oh and the Intercept completely hosed up and burned their source, who was arrested an hour after the story broke

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Even physical typewriters won't evade identification, because different models have different fonts and formatting, and once the model's pinned down they can check out the wear patterns on the individual letters and match it up to a specific typewriter. You'd have to cobble one together, swap out keys continuously, or melt it down and get a replacement periodically.

*mourns the death of payphones*

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Thats why you just read it over the phone or retype it before you try to get confirmation. You dont show them the originals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Canon S750 I got in 2002 is still chugging along, and no tracking dots. I just buy a new generic black cartridge for $3 once a year. :smug:

• Locked thread