Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ekster posted:

Trump visited the Saudis literally 2 weeks ago, they decide to have a massive diplomatic spat with another US ally Qatar, and his administration has no idea that this was about to happen.

lol

They went from Obama to Trump. You don't have to be america, speak english, or anything else to know that trump is a weak pissbaby who doesn't know poo poo, but he does seem to be heavily against Iran. And is the commander in chief of the united states military. They can do whatever they want with Trump in office, he won't be able to so much as understand anything they do, much less respond to it effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahaha

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, Russia spearphished a shitload of voting machine companies, and may have gotten into and altered Voting registration dbs.

Oh and the Intercept completely hosed up and burned their source, who was arrested an hour after the story broke

She was arrested on Saturday.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

repeating posted:

Need printer driver/firmware that prints all tracking dots from all makers at once on every printed page.

The watermark isn't put on in the driver or the print data(unless you use an additional optional watermark). Its added when the print job comes out.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So my boss (who is somewhat uninformed, in my opinion) seems to think "someone" is testifying tomorrow. Is someone testifying tomorrow? (Note: I am/might be ironically uninformed because I know of no one testifying tomorrow) I know Comey is up Thursday.

Please note, I'm Canadian, so here any "Trump" supporters are basically disregarded as HUGE racists*.

*LOL all the TUMP-alikes bombed in the runup for Conservative leadership so we ended up with a "normal" HATE-THE-GAYS Conservative party leader. Yay, Canada hasn't lost it's mind...yet

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

News article on Saudi weapons deal posted:

There is no $110 billion deal. Instead, there are a bunch of letters of interest or intent, but not contracts. Many are offers that the defense industry thinks the Saudis will be interested in someday. So far nothing has been notified to the Senate for review. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the arms sales wing of the Pentagon, calls them “intended sales.” None of the deals identified so far are new, all began in the Obama administration.

Moreover, it’s unlikely that the Saudis could pay for a $110 billion deal any longer, due to low oil prices and the two-plus years old war in Yemen.

You will know the Trump deal is real when Israel begins to ask for a package to keep the Israeli Defense Forces’ qualitative edge preserved. What is coming soon is a billion-dollars deal for more munitions for the war in Yemen. The Royal Saudi Air Force needs more munitions to continue the air bombardment of the Arab world’s poorest country.

This is not the first such spat but it may be the most dangerous. The Saudis and their allies are eager to punish Qatar for supporting the Muslim Brotherhood, for hosting Al-Jazeera, and keeping ties with Iran. Rather than a united front to contain Iran, the Riyadh summit’s outcome is exacerbating sectarian and political tensions in the region.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/markaz/2017/06/05/the-110-billion-arms-deal-to-saudi-arabia-is-fake-news/

lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, Russia spearphished a shitload of voting machine companies, and may have gotten into and altered Voting registration dbs.

Oh and the Intercept completely hosed up and burned their source, who was arrested an hour after the story broke
Why should I hate the Intercept?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Peachfart posted:

The watermark isn't put on in the driver or the print data(unless you use an additional optional watermark). Its added when the print job comes out.

Sorry not trying to argue or anything, but is this basically saying it's in the printer's firmware?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Grouchio posted:

Because they were extremely irresponsible with a leak and got the leaker arrested?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

repeating posted:

Sorry not trying to argue or anything, but is this basically saying it's in the printer's firmware?

Yes. It would make no sense to put into a driver, as you can whip up a custom or 3rd party driver without too much difficulty and the IRS mandates its existence.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ekster posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gulf-qatar-usa-idUSKBN18W2WQ

Trump's amazing diplomatic skills in action folks.

All that poo poo republicans kept saying during the Obama administration, that other countries viewed us as weak and were doing whatever they wanted, that is what is actually happening now. This president has lost control. He isn't respected by anyone. There will be more of this sort of thing. He isn't going to start WWIII, he's going to allow it to happen through his weakness and cowardice.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grouchio posted:

Paracaidas posted:

To reiterate, since Glenn defense has again become contrarian and thus en vogue:
No matter how poorly executed Winner's leaking attempt was (and it was incredibly poorly executed),The Intercept hosed this up in thoroughly unforgivable fashion.

The reporter reached out to another government source he had. Sharing with him photos of the documents to try and determine authenticity-while also relaying that he'd received them from the mail, postmarked from Augusta, and shared where he believed Winner worked based on their conversations. It was this contractor who snitched while also effectively narrowing the scope of the hunt.

All four on the byline, and any editors involved, need to face consequences for this. The snitch needs to be unmasked, to protect the sources of other journalists who he may be working with. Whoever is The Reporter mentioned in the charges needs to spend the rest of his career doing gossip blog nonsense. A lower-stress job should help him cope with the guilt that comes from waking up a free man while someone else is imprisoned for his fuckups.

eta: She did not email The Intercept from her work email, and she did not email The Intercept to discuss leaking or any of the information involved at work. The emails in question were about asking for podcast transcripts and confirming her subscription, from her gmail account at work. Judge the gently caress out of anyone who blames her for emailing from work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ReidRansom posted:

All that poo poo republicans kept saying during the Obama administration, that other countries viewed us as weak and were doing whatever they wanted, that is what is actually happening now. This president has lost control. He isn't respected by anyone. There will be more of this sort of thing. He isn't going to start WWIII, he's going to allow it to happen through his weakness and cowardice.

So he is a dumber more dickish version of James Buchanan.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

RedSpider posted:

Every CIA and NSA office is breaking out the champagne over their demise right now.

Bitter pill though, maybe. They're not going to be happy about their methods and the extent of their investigation into those things being revealed to the Russians, and I honestly wouldn't rule out that being the purpose of it to begin with. With the IC turned against the administration and everyone watching so closely, it might have been difficult to get that information to its the Russians through any other channel. It's a stretch, and it's real dumb, but this administration is real dumb.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stick to taping letters from various magazines together, folks. Nitrile gloves are cheap too.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Oh poo poo - the bot that converts the president's tweets to official statements that originated in this thread just got mentioned on CNN. Good work boys.

Edit: this was on MSNBC - the original statement was an alternative fact.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Stick to taping letters from various magazines together, folks. Nitrile gloves are cheap too.

And have them track you down based on the glue and paper you used? No thanks

Copy of a copy of a copy, scanned at low resolution and then run though a text to speech converter followed by speech to text, on different computers, copied to a flash drive you grabbed from a lost & found somewhere then stripping the metadata and dead dropping it somewhere a few days ahead of whenever you tell the recipient it will be there.

Or whatever.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wait!!! Send only messages written in the blood of the finest show horses.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Wait!!! Send only messages written in the blood of the finest show horses.

That would just draw the wrath of Mike Pence.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

That would just draw the wrath of Mike Pence.

You're thinking of plow horses :heysexy:

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

You're thinking of plow horses :heysexy:

You mean horses plowing

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

My Canon S750 I got in 2002 is still chugging along, and no tracking dots. I just buy a new generic black cartridge for $3 once a year. :smug:

Joke's on you -- you're the only one left in America with one of those, so you're individually traceable. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peachfart posted:

But what if i use a custom print driver to add all the watermarks to every print job? The real watermark will be on there too, but there's no way to distinguish it from all the fake ones.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Throw in some EURion constellation too for the hell of it

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Waffles Inc. posted:

You guys are freaking me out here, there's not actually a legit chance of Maddow being literally poisoned by Russians right? Maybe the most prominent liberal journalist in America dying mysteriously seems incredibly risky even for covert ops

2 months ago: "LOL, here comes more Maddow bullshit that won't even be important enough to be that stupid word that means it's pointless bullshit that doesn't even matter to people who really want things to matter."
Now: "OMG, Russia killed the last true hope of lefties and sane people left in the world!!!!"

e: :supaburn:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mynnna posted:

Also if she actually had been poisoned she'd probably be very, very dead.

Or in a coma. There's some notable Russian who has been poisoned and, loving somehow, survived it twice. He's been pretty hosed up both times though.

Yeah, but Rasputin is pretty loving awesome.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

But what if i use a custom print driver to add all the watermarks to every print job? The real watermark will be on there too, but there's no way to distinguish it from all the fake ones.

That code is probably waaaay under the driver level.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Somebody got Siberia'd for not making this work all the way

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a1234bf73354

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

repeating posted:

Somebody got Siberia'd for not making this work all the way

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a1234bf73354

Yeesh.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

That code is probably waaaay under the driver level.

But who can tell what level it was printed at once it's on the paper?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Jesus, the details of the Intercept fuckup are bleak. They should probably just shut down operations, because I can't see anyone working with them in the near future ever again.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

The original reason for these watermarks are for stopping counterfeiting so if you think you have it all figured out you could make a decent profit. Literally.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The point was that a custom driver wouldn't circumvent this.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Snuffman posted:

So my boss (who is somewhat uninformed, in my opinion) seems to think "someone" is testifying tomorrow. Is someone testifying tomorrow? (Note: I am/might be ironically uninformed because I know of no one testifying tomorrow) I know Comey is up Thursday.

Please note, I'm Canadian, so here any "Trump" supporters are basically disregarded as HUGE racists*.

*LOL all the TUMP-alikes bombed in the runup for Conservative leadership so we ended up with a "normal" HATE-THE-GAYS Conservative party leader. Yay, Canada hasn't lost it's mind...yet

James Comey, the former head of the FBI, is scheduled to testify on Thursday. Not tomorrow. And it's a big deal because he was fired for investigating the Trump-Russia ties. And those aren't my words, those are Trumps words. This would be a bigger deal except for the fact that Comey will probably not say much as it could screw up the ongoing investigation being conducted by the Mueller.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

repeating posted:

Of course it's in the printer's firmware, anything outside that would be hilariously easy to bypass. Even being in the firmware it needs to be in a non-rewritable area because hacked firmware is also fairly common in other hardware for various reasons.

See hacked boot loaders in phones, hacked BIOS for hackintosh PCs running MacOS, etc...

IIRC the original reason was to prevent counterfeiting because color printers were just so good. It finally put a stop to the nightmare levels of hyperinflation due to laser-printed $1 bills in the 70's, which is why we can all still enjoy an avocado every now and then without having to get a second mortgage.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Couldn't you just put black and white noise as a custom watermark?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ShredsYouSay posted:

Couldn't you just put black and white noise as a custom watermark?

Do you remember all those Slashdot news articles before they became entirely worthless where someone would post an article about a scientific discovery like "Toaster toasts 5000 pieces of toast in under 2 seconds!" and then the article would immediately have 50 replies like "Wait, did they realize you can't get that much toast in 2 slots?" or "There's no way you'll have enough butter for all that toast!" or even "Even the most basic 6th grade toasticist knows that peak toast is at 1200 pieces per second in a vacuum, why didn't they notice this obvious flaw?"

So what I'm saying is that maybe they thought of that and:

a) The watermarking mechanism works around that by various methods like being additive or having a flat value for that pixel location no matter what you print or
b) They don't care because you can't buy avocados with black and white noise paper or
c) They're already in your brain and have been using you to come up with potential counters for years to improve their fatally flawed system.

D) is for dick, like what the author of this post is being.

Sorry, your question just reminded me of all those /. replies that were basically: "have they thought of X fairly obvious thing?" Yes, they thought of that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Charliegrs posted:

This would be a bigger deal except for the fact that Comey will probably not say much as it could screw up the ongoing investigation being conducted by the Mueller.

Genuinely curious since I don't know how these things work, how would Comey's testimony screw up the investigation?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah so gendered slurs are poo poo, even if someone is a shithead

Serious question: what are correct non gendered alternatives to "bitch"?" "rear end in a top hat" and "Bastard"? I guess "shithead" works too?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
You obviously hand carve a letter block printing press, ffs.

• Locked thread