Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

iDarwinism.db

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Something I've noticed about crowdsource startups is that they don't seem to have any concept of a sales pitch. Even after they've started operations, if you go to their home page at least half the time it's a vague mission statement and an exhortation to sign up before you can read anything else.

Where do companies get this idea that they can drive sales in their service by throwing an obstacle in the way of learning anything about it? Is there some book that they're all reading, or do they just assume that it's a good idea because Facebook does it? Why don't their investors tell them that they need to sell?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah that is like 100% on the company. The guy made a very small mistake that could be completely expected of someone on their first day. The company has a systemic issue with being complete loving idiots.

Yeah that sort of situation is why there should be at least one layer of insulation preventing that sort of thing from happening and at least one backup. It isn't a matter of "if" something catastrophic happens it's a matter of "when."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

Something I've noticed about crowdsource startups is that they don't seem to have any concept of a sales pitch. Even after they've started operations, if you go to their home page at least half the time it's a vague mission statement and an exhortation to sign up before you can read anything else.

Where do companies get this idea that they can drive sales in their service by throwing an obstacle in the way of learning anything about it? Is there some book that they're all reading, or do they just assume that it's a good idea because Facebook does it? Why don't their investors tell them that they need to sell?

Generally a sales pitch is trying to sell the idea to skeptical potential buyers. Crowdsourcing people just act like their product will be a massive success and expect everyone to fall in line and agree. What? You want us to explain why you should buy our Cthulu themed brand of 100% cotton socks with bluetooth connectivity to remind you when they were last washed? You probably weren't going to buy any anyways.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Saw this in sh/sc earlier and seems relevant:

pr0digal posted:

I was telling a friend about this video and decided it was high time to post it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

If anything it should reinforce that backups are a good thing to have.

Tl;dr idiot supposed 'tech' video site looks to lose all their data because of poo poo/nonexistent backup policy and the terrible idea to have all their important poo poo on one complicated dumb RAID array.

It is a good video even if you're not a tech nerd.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

Once I actually clicked an advertisement to go to a shirt website because I liked shirts. Then the scripts started, locking away their catalog and exhorting me to sign up as a member before I could browse. What kind of storefront demands you sign-up before letting you browse the product? I don't understand, and I never found out because I tried to circumvent the script lockout for all of five seconds before closing that website forever.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm assuming of course that internet startup VCs do the kind of thing that VCs normally do: meeting with the directors & officers, suggesting managers, voting their shares, generally working to promote the success of the business. Maybe voting stock is just generally out of fashion and the founders are running their own asylums.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Gazpacho posted:

It's part of a sales pitch, but it's not to you. They need to go to potential investors with, "we've already got thousands of accounts signed up, even before we've launched!" People give out their email address pretty freely; it's certainly easier than getting them to put anything meaningful on the line.

And, once they do hit the market, you can trust that they'll start sending you the real sales pitch. Every day, until you unsubscribe.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Double-posting this from the Coding Horrors thread:

https://twitter.com/jxxf/status/871000661869154304

Did that dude just start working at British Airways, by any chance?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NLJP posted:

Saw this in sh/sc earlier and seems relevant:

Tl;dr idiot supposed 'tech' video site looks to lose all their data because of poo poo/nonexistent backup policy and the terrible idea to have all their important poo poo on one complicated dumb RAID array.

It is a good video even if you're not a tech nerd.

LTT is basically a slapstick comedy channel with computers, or if you're being more generous a channel for grown up computer nerds who want to stuff $5000 22 core Xeons into the same systems as SLI 1080s for 1337 gaming (which is literally what Linus is).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

Because A/B testing shows that it results in a higher signup rate

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

blowfish posted:

LTT is basically a slapstick comedy channel with computers, or if you're being more generous a channel for grown up computer nerds who want to stuff $5000 22 core Xeons into the same systems as SLI 1080s for 1337 gaming (which is literally what Linus is).

Their videos are funny and watching them do something ridiculously over the top is the whole point imo. Also Linus is a funny guy generally.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Double-posting this from the Coding Horrors thread:

https://twitter.com/jxxf/status/871000661869154304

Responded to this in the Coding Horrors thread but :newlol: :newlol: :newlol: :newlol: :newlol: that company loving deserved it for their stupid practices.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Quote yourself? I want to see this thread.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Steve French posted:

Because A/B testing shows that it results in a higher signup rate

Somebody else's A/B testing maybe showed that, for their product. The crowdsource guys just copy whoever seems successful and hope it works out.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There are a lot of amateurs crowdsourcing whatever but even there, in general, when you can't find the specifics it's because the specifics don't exist or they exist but aren't appealing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Their videos are funny and watching them do something ridiculously over the top is the whole point imo. Also Linus is a funny guy generally.

Yeah. You don't watch LTT because it's an authoritative source on purchasing decisions in computing equipment, you watch it because funny computer.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Weatherman posted:

Did that dude just start working at British Airways, by any chance?

Curious about the same thing...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If you mean the most recent BA event, that was someone turning the power off and on again.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

A junior developer would not be interacting with the CTO in a company the size of BA

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

duz posted:

If you mean the most recent BA event, that was someone turning the power off and on again.

:wtc: are you loving serious

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

duz posted:

So they say.

owl_pellet posted:

A junior developer would not be interacting with the CTO in a company the size of BA

:downsbravo:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LeJackal posted:

Quote yourself? I want to see this thread.

:getin:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Somebody else's A/B testing maybe showed that, for their product. The crowdsource guys just copy whoever seems successful and hope it works out.

To be clear, what I was getting at is that even the companies that actually do A/B test poo poo do it poorly and follow the results of their poorly conceived and implemented tests blindly, leading to bad user experiences for the sake of goosing a single vanity metric

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LeJackal posted:

Once I actually clicked an advertisement to go to a shirt website because I liked shirts. Then the scripts started, locking away their catalog and exhorting me to sign up as a member before I could browse. What kind of storefront demands you sign-up before letting you browse the product? I don't understand, and I never found out because I tried to circumvent the script lockout for all of five seconds before closing that website forever.
Makes it kind of hard to know whether I'd want to work for the company too, e.g. just now:

OTOH at least I have an answer if they ask me whether I saw something on their site that I'd like to improve.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 6, 2017

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
The careers / about us / ToS links in the footer are not blocked by the modal. They have the same SF startup tech culture as everyone else, and they want to make sure people looking for careers see photos of free food before anything about the actual work.

Funny thing about this site is that the modal doesn't actually hide anything. You can delete the whole overlay and there's nothing underneath but a blurry mosaic of product images. I guess just having a login page would look out of date?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

On the other hand,

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just a tiny mention...

"Globe And Mail posted:

Uber Technologies Inc fired more than 20 people following an internal investigation into sexual harassment claims, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday, citing a person familiar with the matter.

Bobbie Wilson, an attorney at Perkins Coie LLP, gave Uber’s more than 12,000 employees an assessment of the firm’s investigation, the report said.

Uber was not immediately available for comment.

Edit: (Bloomberg finally came up)

"Bloomberg posted:

Uber Technologies Inc. told employees that more than 20 people have been fired after a company investigation into harassment claims, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Bobbie Wilson, an attorney at Perkins Coie LLP, gave Uber’s more than 12,000 employees an assessment of the firm’s investigation on Tuesday, said the person, who asked not to be identified discussing personnel matters. A separate probe commissioned by Uber that’s being led by former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has given its own recommendations to a subcommittee of Uber’s board of directors, the person said.

In a review of 215 human-resources claims, Perkins Coie took no action in 100 instances as it continues to investigate 57 others; meanwhile, 31 employees are in counseling or training, while seven received written warnings from the company, the person said. The issues deal with harassment, discrimination, retaliation and other HR matters. The company didn’t name the employees who were fired.

Uber commissioned a pair of investigations after a widely circulated blog post written by a former employee in February alleged sexual harassment and discrimination. Uber Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick asked for the resignation of Amit Singhal, his new head of software engineering, after the company learned of a sexual harassment claim against him at his former employer, Google. Singhal, who left in late February, denied the allegation.

unknown fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 6, 2017

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Makes it kind of hard to know whether I'd want to work for the company too, e.g. just now:

OTOH at least I have an answer if they ask me whether I saw something on their site that I'd like to improve.

I was at a BBQ this weekend and I heard some truly awful stories about them (the people, not the product).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

On the other hand,

He's not doing the socks and sandals look good, I agree. The only allowed one is socks and flip flops with sweat pants. That's like 50% of the people around my college.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

NLJP posted:

Wasn't there some LiveJournal-like site that similarly assumed a RAID drive was a backup and inevitably lost all their data?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

I'm assuming of course that internet startup VCs do the kind of thing that VCs normally do: meeting with the directors & officers, suggesting managers, voting their shares, generally working to promote the success of the business. Maybe voting stock is just generally out of fashion and the founders are running their own asylums.

Voting stocks are not out of favour but share dilution of stock classes with many votes is. Most modern successful tech companies are run like dictatorships with the founder/'s owning only a portion of the company but almost all of the votes.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Today in Uber is the worst.

https://twitter.com/mekosoff/status/872503112329826304

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I though this belonged here

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
If only the human body had some way to tell if it needed more water or not. Surely it's a wonder we survived so long as a species with absolutely no natural mechanism that could drive us to consume the fluids so vital to us.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Feinne posted:

If only the human body had some way to tell if it needed more water or not. Surely it's a wonder we survived so long as a species with absolutely no natural mechanism that could drive us to consume the fluids so vital to us.

But what if I drink too much?! I might drown!!!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I though this belonged here

can't be any good, doesn't use a blockchain

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Last week I had dinner with a midlevel firmware guy and we had a good laugh about smart water bottles. I love that line in their copy because they're only the "first" to think it was helpful to jam AI in there.

As dubious as any aspect of the quantified self movement is, claiming to track "hydration" through a fraction of one input is really out there. Are people going to log water fountain usage through the app? As big of an ask it is to track calories, fluid seems a tall order. Nobody's even trying to track output across urine/sweat/tears/etc. so any claim at "hydration" is an arm's length guess. I can't quite tell what sensing they're using, but it appears to wholly reside in the cap which limits it to a few (bad) options.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

Nobody's even trying to track output across urine/sweat/tears/etc.

Be right back, registering “stillsui.it” to get in front of this trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

poemdexter posted:

But what if I drink too much?! I might drown!!!

Just try not to fall for the siren song of any radio contests demanding you consume a toxic amount of water in exchange for a video james console and you'll be golden.