Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Dev's get a bigger cut when you buy directly from them.

Ah good point, I assumed Steam would still just take a cut when they issue the keys or something. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

$40 shipped on PS4 via amazon unless I'm missing something :shrug:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm just going to do random tracks with the stratos forever

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I found out there is towns you can rally through too, so hyped for this game.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Using the proc gen tracks there should be a survival mode where you have to drive a Stratos in Sweden for as long as possible without binning it

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

That is actually a genius idea and I would play the poo poo out of a rally based survival rogue-like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Qmass posted:

That is actually a genius idea and I would play the poo poo out of a rally based survival rogue-like.

While it isn't rally, I don't know if its random environments (I would assume so however), and I don't know if it's done much publicly since I read about it last year but someone was working on a "driving survival" game where you have to escape a bunch of people that want to kill you. More about car chases though: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/14/driving-survival-horror-game/

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The first 'Driver' game basically

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't that jalopy?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I don't know what the gently caress is going on in the backseat of this car but the graphics/atmosphere of this game are legit amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Gmibzwg4g

horror games aren't my thing but I'll keep an eye on that project now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

julian assflange posted:

The first 'Driver' game basically

The last level of the first Driver is certainly a survival experience.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

PC, ultra settings, sim-mode, decent driver stream - https://www.twitch.tv/vajbtv

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it8lrZLJ0I8

Qmass fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 2, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
that's generally cosmetic right?

idk why there even was a damage model in dirt rally. it seemed like they built it up to be an actual gameplay element but at the last minute dialed back most damage effects so you either just got a flat tire or crashed so hard you were out of the race

i like the idea in regards to the endurance aspect of a series but it was never really an issue just another meter to fill up automatically in between races

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I was watching some footage earlier where the engine developed a miss-fire mid stage. Stuff like that could be interesting if its the result of how you handle service.

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

Thief posted:

that's generally cosmetic right?

idk why there even was a damage model in dirt rally. it seemed like they built it up to be an actual gameplay element but at the last minute dialed back most damage effects so you either just got a flat tire or crashed so hard you were out of the race

i like the idea in regards to the endurance aspect of a series but it was never really an issue just another meter to fill up automatically in between races

iirc one of the dev codebooks talked about this. There were plans for a more detailed (?) or robust damage model but it was scrapped b/c it was just too much for most players? something like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There was also tires could come off rims, punctures, a bunch of stuff added later but the thing I missed most about damage was the ability to lose a gear if you properly abused the gearbox.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PatRichCapone posted:

iirc one of the dev codebooks talked about this. There were plans for a more detailed (?) or robust damage model but it was scrapped b/c it was just too much for most players? something like that.

Considering how many 1080 kickflips I've done in Dirt Rally this was a good idea.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Kibayasu posted:

"driving survival" game where you have to escape a bunch of people that want to kill you

So total destruction mode from Destruction Derby then

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Mid rally weather transitions seem cool as gently caress. Was watching a video started off sunny ended with fog you could you see 5 feet in front of the car.

Also male and female co-driver!

Norns fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 4, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sometimes alright Codemasters racing game Youtube dude Ben Daly is doing a bunch of videos on Dirt 4's career mode. So far he's done the start and tutorial stuff, team creation and early career stuff. and some Landrush stuff. The career and team creation looks pretty much ripped straight out of the first Grid which is fine by me because Grid ruled.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The first GRID was so good

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wish I didn't have to wait till friday.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How should I progress in this game? I have enough money to buy more cars, but I am barely managing 4th place consistently with the mini.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Krataar posted:

How should I progress in this game? I have enough money to buy more cars, but I am barely managing 4th place consistently with the mini.

However you like really. The AI is crushingly hard for beginners to win, and i didn't win a rally until i was expert or master. The same two motherfuckers would finish 1-2 in all the rallies and championships all the way to masters. I did 60's->70's->80's->Group A. It seems to me that the AI is maybe based on the community times for each class, as they seem to be much harder in car classes that are easier to control. I still struggle to beat all the master AI drivers in the relatively easy to control 2010 class, whereas I routinely beat them by a full minute in the harder Group B RWD class. Doing a "difficult" car class might not be as hard as you think.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll never be good at rallycross

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

julian assflange posted:

I'll never be good at rallycross

Dude same. Never quite clicked for me. I dont know why.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I likely won't even touch the rally cross stuff in dirt 4

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Krataar posted:

simply pick a car that interests you and drive it like you stole it :snoop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Excited to play Dirt 4 in 3 hours.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Excited to play Dirt 4 in 3 hours.

Steam is the 9th right? Because gently caress US PC gamers?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

Steam is the 9th right? Because gently caress US PC gamers?

Yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Only able to put in 30 minutes of Dirt 4 tonight but I really like what I am playing so far. It takes the foundation of Dirt Rally and improves on it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I guess I read there's no rewind button for people like me who want to rally but also hit walls :(

Also it's dirt: rally gameplay focused, rather than arcadey? But you can enable dirt 3 or whatever the give me every assist I suck mode is?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Big ol' grain of salt with these types of games and reviewers but initial signs are good - 92 from IGN and 90 from the g-spot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So I guess I read there's no rewind button for people like me who want to rally but also hit walls :(

Also it's dirt: rally gameplay focused, rather than arcadey? But you can enable dirt 3 or whatever the give me every assist I suck mode is?

There's 2 handling models based on Dirt 3 and Dirt Rally and it'll ask you right at the start which you want. More racing games need to do the dual Arcade/Sim handling modes.

The general gist of the reviews I've seen so far is you will start to recognise the building blocks used by the stage generator after a while, but the stages it spits out are still generally pretty good. The most negative review I've seen basically said while the rallying is still really good, Rallycross and Landrush still aren't much more than minor diversions and 90% of the focus is still on rally so if you're buying this for circuit racing you're in the wrong place.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 6, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eurogamer, big Codemasters fans, have only given it a so so review which is a pity. Will buy it anyway but from what I have read, I will keep DIRT Rally all the same

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Most negative points I have seen thus far has been about the arcade mode not being arcadey enough; landrush and rallycross not having enough content and that the game has a "too serious" tone compared to Dirt 2 or Forza Horizon 3. None of that bothers me much, and i vastly prefer a serous tone to Horizion 3s social media schtick.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 6, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dirt 4 has tutorial cutscenes that explain mechanics and game modes but you can skip them. :3: Codemasters finally learned.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Landrush/ trophy trucks never got enough love. Do they have the rally raid stages back? They gave a passing glance to faux-dakar in dirt 2 (think it was 2) and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Simulation handling in Dirt 4 feels less like wrestling an alligator. And as expected, dudes on Reddit are now disappointed that the game isn't as hardcore as Dirt Rally despite Codemasters improving upon the weird behavior in the game.

Lots of "too much grip". Purpose-built cars meant for this kind of driving couldn't possibly be that capable. Surely, Codemasters is up to something.

For a sincere complaint, the lack of Greece is disheartening. Those were the best stages in Dirt Rally

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread