Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished Grak and Crumbleberry!

woah Dan finished a Bloodbowl model in less than 3 months
(They look dope, tons of character and a nice clean paintjob)

mango sentinel posted:

Thanks! I've done one Blood Warrior and five Sigmans. I've got a few Easy Build Liberators I'm thinking of fighting with for some more conversions then just mixing them with regular Chaos Warriors to fill out a 20-man unit.

Unfortunately I'm real bad at posing stuff and Liberators don't have a lot of options on top of that so they all look real same-y, but I guess that thematically fits Chaos Warriors :haw:

Goddamn, this is what Stormcast models needed to look good. Nice, simple conversions there, might have to steal that for an Inquisitor henchman or something.

Tendinitis has kept me away from the painting (and video editing) table for the past three weeks, but I'm slowly getting back into it! Here we have 10 more Empire Handgunners, rounding out the unit to 30:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

woah Dan finished a Bloodbowl model in less than 3 months
(They look dope, tons of character and a nice clean paintjob)

His poo poo looks amazing in person.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Another WIP for my ISS stuff, this time a Crane Rank. After I took this picture, I went back and took care of the mold line on the hair thingy, don't worry. Getting the hang of NMM gold, just using VMC Japanese Uniform, black, and white seems to be working pretty well. Still working out a lot of stuff, the turquoise and red still need a fair amount of work, I think. Smooth blends take work, and getting highlights in the right place is a real pain in the rear end on the complicated surfaces on this thing. Need to add a flashlight to my toolkit so I can do some real harsh point lighting for reference.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

General Olloth posted:

I don't really have to do that with my airbrush either. My basic airbrush clean takes maybe 15 seconds longer than cleaning my hand brushes. (For a total of like 30 seconds)

Once you figure out how to get your paint consistency correct, it shouldn't jam up too bad usually. Vallejo Flow Improver is magic.
Yeah, clogging or paint consistency is not the problem. The problem is that I'm anal about tearing my airbrush down and giving it a thorough cleaning every time I use it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Some in progress shots of my black and white malifaux crew. Need to attack these with a wet pallete for more Grey's, color the flames and metalics, but so far I'm really liking these.

So far, airbrush with primer, then black->greys->white highlights. Then I followed up with black iron oxide pigment, sealing it with matte varnish.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Same except all the time. Its also one of the pillars of truth that make Orks the perfect faction.

Current project: something that only other Ork players will ever notice, probably

Up to 12 unique Deffguns. Only 3 to go for a full squad :smithicide:

The only thing cooler than deffgunz are snazzgunz. Very nice. :orks:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ilor posted:

Yeah, clogging or paint consistency is not the problem. The problem is that I'm anal about tearing my airbrush down and giving it a thorough cleaning every time I use it.

Oh I meant I stopped doing that when I stopped clogging it up. The last three times I took the needle out there was nothing on it, I just crank the pressure up and spray cleaner through it.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Alokgen posted:

Finished up my counts-as Spellsinger for Age of Sigmar.

If you can find small water effects (such as http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=432), it might work really well on the base to add to the look of the water.

w00tmonger posted:

Some in progress shots of my black and white malifaux crew. Need to attack these with a wet pallete for more Grey's, color the flames and metalics, but so far I'm really liking these.

So far, airbrush with primer, then black->greys->white highlights. Then I followed up with black iron oxide pigment, sealing it with matte varnish.

Currently it kinda looks all just semi-undercoated more than an effect. No actual black or white areas makes it all look a bit too uniform.

Another option that a lot of people like is to use spot colours- like a 'sin city' effect. But presently I just feel like you're probably putting in a reasonable amount of effort for models that don't pop. Though painting the base rims might help a surprising amount with that.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

TBH, I thought you were just showing off your zenithal priming.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm getting back into this for the first time in a long long time, and had never really taken the painting aspect seriously at all before.

I'm painting up some beastmen gors, and boy nuln oil is basically just magical muscle toning juice :vince:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm getting back into this for the first time in a long long time, and had never really taken the painting aspect seriously at all before.

I'm painting up some beastmen gors, and boy nuln oil is basically just magical muscle toning juice :vince:

Nuln Oil, like Devlan Mud before it, is Talent In A Pot™ for a reason.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up my first of 3 Lord Relictors from the Howling Dracoths Stormhost.

I'm really happy with how this dude turned out, especially the candles. For the other two in order to differentiate between them, i'll do green candles and blue candles.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

I got one of the Master ones with a tank. The cheap compressors are generally loudish and can sometimes pulse but a tank basically fixes both problems.
Seconded. It's inexpensive, often comes with a brush, and has a tank. Also way quieter than the "cheap" Badger compressor I bought a few years prior, which had no tank, and cost twice as much.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Not been painting long and I've agreed to paint up some miniatures from a board game (World of Smog) for a friend to practice. Here's the first one:

I'd love some tips around what I could do to take this to the next level. It looks pretty nice I think, but I'm not sure what I can do to make it pop a little more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there a good vallejo or P3 equivalent to reaper desert sand? I've been looking up equivalency charts/hex codes and can't seem to find one.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So I haven't actually touched miniatures and paintings since I was about 16, so a good 6 years ago, but my friend is trying to talk me back into it and I'm considering doing it when I have more time, money and storage space. So for now, have a gander at a blast from the past of my old Eldar:

I'll probably use similar techniques if I do get back in so feel free to critique and hopefully I'll remember it when the time comes. I still have the rest of an old Eldar battleforce, a wraithlord and two starter sets worth of marines, tyranids and orks to paint back home as well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Some more Star Wars stuff

TIE/SF - Quickdraw

Imperial Assault Princess Leia

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Z the IVth posted:

Some more Star Wars stuff

TIE/SF - Quickdraw

Imperial Assault Princess Leia

Post ur TIEs in the X-Wing thread man they're awesome.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Wazzu posted:

Currently it kinda looks all just semi-undercoated more than an effect. No actual black or white areas makes it all look a bit too uniform.

Another option that a lot of people like is to use spot colours- like a 'sin city' effect. But presently I just feel like you're probably putting in a reasonable amount of effort for models that don't pop. Though painting the base rims might help a surprising amount with that.

So I definitely have to throw more work into making more actual black/white areas. Was going to work in the metallics and osl as sources of color on the models. Would that be enough to pop it over the edge? I'm worried that if I go to far on coloring them the effect might get lost.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
WARNING!

The Bits of War site's been compromised. WorkSight and I both had our computers hit with a fake Windows Defender page/popup that hijacked our keyboard/mouse input and tried to make us download something. We had to restart our computers to escape. I'd wait a few days before trying it, and maybe checking their Facebook page to see if they address the issue there.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Bit of a cross post::::

So my bro got me a surprise Lord of Change for my birthday. I just had to paint it ASAP.

*fancy ~SPINZAM~ photo with drag-able 360*
https://spinzam.com/shot/?idx=26136

This dude is huge. His base is a 4" circle.

Funnily enough I had recently listened to Ep9 of the badcast where SRM and Sexcannon talk about how they think this model is cool but a nightmare to paint. I was a little worried at first but I followed Duncan's guide best I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThM1HTZgsN8

I ended up with a lot of mistakes but I am really happy with the results.

Long story short: Dry Brushing, Washes and the new GW Metallics are your friend... Especially on big demon models.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Kind of a general question here since y'all deal with a shitton of miniature game figures: What would we say is the most popular and best (for aesthetic and gameplay reasons) Miniature Game base size? I'm talkin' 25mm, 30mm, 32mm, etc. I ask because I'm helping design a game, and I kinda don't give a gently caress what size the base is, but it's starting to be an important question. *shrug*

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Bit of a cross post::::

So my bro got me a surprise Lord of Change for my birthday. I just had to paint it ASAP.

*fancy ~SPINZAM~ photo with drag-able 360*
https://spinzam.com/shot/?idx=26136

This dude is huge. His base is a 4" circle.

Funnily enough I had recently listened to Ep9 of the badcast where SRM and Sexcannon talk about how they think this model is cool but a nightmare to paint. I was a little worried at first but I followed Duncan's guide best I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThM1HTZgsN8

I ended up with a lot of mistakes but I am really happy with the results.

Long story short: Dry Brushing, Washes and the new GW Metallics are your friend... Especially on big demon models.

You make Big Bird's evil cousin look so good.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

susan posted:

Kind of a general question here since y'all deal with a shitton of miniature game figures: What would we say is the most popular and best (for aesthetic and gameplay reasons) Miniature Game base size? I'm talkin' 25mm, 30mm, 32mm, etc. I ask because I'm helping design a game, and I kinda don't give a gently caress what size the base is, but it's starting to be an important question. *shrug*

Are you planning on on doing your own models, or is this designed to work with existing lines?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

susan posted:

1.25" hex. :colbert: No but seriously 25mm is worth noting as it fits into the one inch squares for a lot of RPG games and poo poo... but if you're designing the game yourself then, uh, it really depends on what you want/need it to do, keeping in mind that squares and hexes can be useful if facing is a mechanic. Otherwise I've never personally given a poo poo about the specific sizes of circular bases beyond whether or not they can fit on the afformentioned D&D dungeon maps or whatever.

(The slightly beveled and recessed bases that Privateer press uses I think look "traditionally handsome" in a sort of classic boardgame way, but I hate them for wargaming.)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
15mm Copplestone Dwarf. Needs some snow..

First pic captures the color pretty good, not sure why the others are washed out

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
God drat I like your painting style.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
That looks like an illustration come to life. Awesome.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

First pic captures the color pretty good, not sure why the others are washed out

Looks great!

The second two are washed out because of overexposure to the white background. The penny is offering a contrasting color that the camera is picking up on and adjusting to - similar to the gray card photographers use.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

w00tmonger posted:

So I definitely have to throw more work into making more actual black/white areas. Was going to work in the metallics and osl as sources of color on the models. Would that be enough to pop it over the edge? I'm worried that if I go to far on coloring them the effect might get lost.

For Lady J's box, just the flame (with OSL) would be huge, no metallics needed (possibly add basing elements for Lady J herself and the Judge). After that, depends how much guild/death marshalls you want to do, and what you choose to emphasise with different models.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Legit thought that was just the studio paint job, looks amazing, great work!

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 6, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

The second two are washed out because of overexposure to the white background. The penny is offering a contrasting color that the camera is picking up on and adjusting to - similar to the gray card photographers use.

Huh. poo poo is complicated. Maybe I should try a non-white background

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Love that painterly style.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Or you could leave the penny in and just crop accordingly.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished Femshep today:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't know how to base this guy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know how to base this guy.

Gravel and scrap metal.

I like the back nipples.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Use manual exposure control or "point" measuring.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I made a small black and white square that helps my phone firgure out exposure.

If you want to go a step more professional look for something called a grey card in photography accessories.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 7, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I'm convinced to basecoat with my airbrush - but I'm still confused as to how this will help me for units which have different colours - for example, I've got dwarf engineers that will have skin, hair and overalls. I'm going to need to touch up all the edges anyway with a brush, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Southern Heel posted:

So I'm convinced to basecoat with my airbrush - but I'm still confused as to how this will help me for units which have different colours - for example, I've got dwarf engineers that will have skin, hair and overalls. I'm going to need to touch up all the edges anyway with a brush, right?

With my Orks my plan for the next batch is to base coat before assembly.