Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait does this mean that emulators will now run full speed regardless of being installed as a cia or ran from the Homebrew Channel as a .3dsx?

AFAIK that is an issue of a difference in permissions an app is given between being installed vs being launched from within another application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's too late for most people now, but the new Luma might make it easier to avoid getting banned in the future. If you configure Luma to launch HBL via a legitimate app and never install any CIA homebrew, Nintendo's telemetry service should just see you playing AR Games or whatever when you use homebrew.

Flagrama posted:

AFAIK that is an issue of a difference in permissions an app is given between being installed vs being launched from within another application.

Apparently this is no longer the case with Rosalina, 3dsx apps are now on par with CIA apps (at least once they're updated to not intentionally disable features in 3dsx builds).

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 6, 2017

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

So I've been mostly out of the loop since getting my Switch, but I figure I should go through updating before I get left too far behind.

I've got a New3DS running A9LH on 11.3. I've skimmed the last few pages here, plus I'm looking at A9LH to B9S and Updating B9S. I saw the posts about the latest version of Luma requiring B9S 1.2.

If I'm only updating from A9LH at this point, will I roll the migration and the update into one step, and not really need to do the update separately? All the "latest" links in the A9LH->B9S guide seem to point to the post-problematic versions (Luma 8 and B9S 1.2).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Froist posted:

So I've been mostly out of the loop since getting my Switch, but I figure I should go through updating before I get left too far behind.

I've got a New3DS running A9LH on 11.3. I've skimmed the last few pages here, plus I'm looking at A9LH to B9S and Updating B9S. I saw the posts about the latest version of Luma requiring B9S 1.2.

If I'm only updating from A9LH at this point, will I roll the migration and the update into one step, and not really need to do the update separately? All the "latest" links in the A9LH->B9S guide seem to point to the post-problematic versions (Luma 8 and B9S 1.2).

The guide links to the latest stable version of Luma (8) and B9S (1.2) so yeah just follow the update a9lh to b9s guide.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's are the advantages of updating to b9s? I'm going to do it but am just curious.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's are the advantages of updating to b9s? I'm going to do it but am just curious.

Well you can't use the new proper FIRM based Luma without it since b9s 1.0 didn't support everything it was supposed to yet or something. All I really know is that the way they setup luma now where it has a custom sytem modules (rosalina) doesn't work on b9s 1.0 so luma 8.0 won't boot on b9s 1.0.

edit: Looks like Luma 8.0 broke region change emulation so guess that'll get fixed in 8.1 or so.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 7, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Luma is ditching A9LH support mainly. Also after moving your payloads to CTRNAND, you can still boot your 3DS even if the SD card is removed.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

havenwaters posted:

edit: Looks like Luma 8.0 broke region change emulation so guess that'll get fixed in 8.1 or so.

Or use this unofficial build until then.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I dunno if this would be the right thread to ask in or not, so my apologies if not, but this is the only thread on the forums that came up when I searched for "tcpgecko"

So I was hoping to cheat up my rupee count in hyrule warriors for the wii u and I found out that there is a relatively recent thing that would let me do that, but all of the instructions say "go to this site via your wii u, click the option for tcpgecko + kernel, then wait for the 'video' to load which will send you back to the wii u home menu"

Except that last part never happens. It just seems to refresh the page, nothing else happens, and any instructions I find just say "if it doesn't work, reboot your wii u." I've been trying this for a while now. Is this something that even still works on the most recent Wii U version? Is it something that is just crazy random to get to work? Am I just dumb and not following the instructions correctly?

This is the guide I was following along with

I've never really tampered with stuff like this before and I want to be careful because I know if you screw up with certain stuff, you could brick your system and I don't know how easy it'd be to do that to the wii u but I'd rather not tempt fate. Sorry to bother you, I'm just not sure where else to ask.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Froist posted:

I went from A9LH on 11.3 just last night (albeit on an Old 3DS). That first guide is fine.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Keito posted:

The GBA emulator isn't particularly good so you'd likely be better off running GameYob for GB/C either way.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-a-gameboy-emulator-for-ds.343407/

This worked out nicely, thank you!

and thanks for the recommendations, looking forward to some entertaining bus rides in the future.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

I went from A9LH on 11.3 just last night (albeit on an Old 3DS). That first guide is fine.

Yep, should have mentioned but the upgrade was really easy and quick. No reason not to do it!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I just went from A9LH to B9S on 11.2 (O3DS) and it took maybe 20 minutes total. Probably 15 of that was getting all the files downloaded and organized.

I really like the new Luma system module. Now I don't have to open 3DSident to see my actual battery percentage!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think I'd really like to get a regular-sized N3DS but I've long since given hope of ever seeing one at retail price on American soil. Are there any pitfalls to finding a European/Japanese import, softmodding it and disabling the region lock? I presume that'd be cheaper than paying scalper prices for the American handhelds but I haven't done a whole lot of research yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Has anyone tried using the GDB stub? There's like absolutely no documentation on how to use it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Buca di Bepis posted:

I think I'd really like to get a regular-sized N3DS but I've long since given hope of ever seeing one at retail price on American soil. Are there any pitfalls to finding a European/Japanese import, softmodding it and disabling the region lock? I presume that'd be cheaper than paying scalper prices for the American handhelds but I haven't done a whole lot of research yet.

Try this site: https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/

the UPC for the Mario 3d Land bundle is 045496782016 (it is basically impossible to find the black Friday ones that were $99, so I would not bother with that if I were you. Look for that one or even the Animal Crossing bundle (UPC 045496781750, though Nintendo was charging like $229 for that one, plus it's older so your best bet is the Mario one)

Though I will leave you with one thing: consider the XL instead. I always had the n3ds XL and I really wanted the smaller one, too. I got it (and still have it) and I have to say, I almost never touch it. You know how people keep saying how awesome SNES games look on the n3ds? It is not nearly as impressive on the small one. I find that on the smaller one, the screen is so small that it gives me the impression that that's why SNES games look good. But on the XL, it's kind of like "holy poo poo, SNES games looking pixel perfect on a screen that's not the size of a postage stamp". It's really cool, and I don't think we're ever going to see another fairly-large screen with a 320x240-friendly res ever again for the rest of our lives.

So yeah I virtually never touch the smaller one. But if you really want one, try that brickseek site out with the UPC code I gave you.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 13, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Has the community figured out anything to prevent bans if you've already used certain applications? I'm good still and worried mine is coming in the next wave.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has the community figured out anything to prevent bans if you've already used certain applications? I'm good still and worried mine is coming in the next wave.

It's all server-side so not much you can do about the past, at least that seems to be the consensus.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Try this site: https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/

the UPC for the Mario 3d Land bundle is 045496782016 (it is basically impossible to find the black Friday ones that were $99, so I would not bother with that if I were you. Look for that one or even the Animal Crossing bundle (UPC 045496781750, though Nintendo was charging like $229 for that one, plus it's older so your best bet is the Mario one)

Though I will leave you with one thing: consider the XL instead. I always had the n3ds XL and I really wanted the smaller one, too. I got it (and still have it) and I have to say, I almost never touch it. You know how people keep saying how awesome SNES games look on the n3ds? It is not nearly as impressive on the small one. I find that on the smaller one, the screen is so small that it gives me the impression that that's why SNES games look good. But on the XL, it's kind of like "holy poo poo, SNES games looking pixel perfect on a screen that's not the size of a postage stamp". It's really cool, and I don't think we're ever going to see another fairly-large screen with a 320x240-friendly res ever again for the rest of our lives.

So yeah I virtually never touch the smaller one. But if you really want one, try that brickseek site out with the UPC code I gave you.

Good suggestion, but no luck with stock for the entire state of Colorado at either Walmart or Colorado. I do have the XL already but I hate the floppy hinge on it and want to grab something with better pixel density. I still kick myself for passing up the Mario 3d Land bundles I saw earlier last year...

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I've noticed some of my GBA games aren't launching. It just hangs on a black screen. I haven't updated to whatever the newer system hack is. Could that have anything to do with it? I don't know why it would disable something that previously worked fine though.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Stan Taylor posted:

I've noticed some of my GBA games aren't launching. It just hangs on a black screen. I haven't updated to whatever the newer system hack is. Could that have anything to do with it? I don't know why it would disable something that previously worked fine though.

*Rampant speculation*

Do you have a flashcart in the DS slot? That caused similar issues for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's a recommend DS flash cart for playing DS stuff only?

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
I've been using the DSTWO+ on my DSi for DS, GBA/GB/GBC, & SNES emulation. It works on 3DS as well so it's a little more pricey, but if you want GBA emulation it's your best bet IMO.

R4 is the cheaper option but no GBA emulation afaik.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

r4i gold for just ds, works out of the box once you put the firmware on it.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

baram. posted:

:agreed:
http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149
+
http://www.r4wood.com/pages/wood-r4-kernel.html

For GBC, GBA and SNES go with virtual console injection.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Foehammer posted:

*Rampant speculation*

Do you have a flashcart in the DS slot? That caused similar issues for me.

Nope, I've had my Pokemon Moon cart in ever since that came out.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Stan Taylor posted:

Nope, I've had my Pokemon Moon cart in ever since that came out.

Try uninstalling / re-installing AGB_FIRM?

e: Are these GBA VC injects?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

baram. posted:

I'll go for that again.

I don't care about playing GBA games off a DS card since you can natively play them on a homebrewed 3DS through injects.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Stan Taylor posted:

I couldn't launch ambassador GBA games or DS carts, but they worked again when I upgraded to b9s and the latest luma.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Are the libretro (retroarch) emulators on FBI TitleDB up to date?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

From what I'm seeing on /r/3dshacks and elsewhere, apparently New 2DS XLs are coming with 11.4 on them. Bummer.

Pyrocat posted:

I've been using the DSTWO+ on my DSi for DS, GBA/GB/GBC, & SNES emulation. It works on 3DS as well so it's a little more pricey, but if you want GBA emulation it's your best bet IMO.

Be careful leaving the DSTWO+ in the cart slot if you put the 3DS in sleep mode, the chip in it doesn't turn off and it will devour your battery.

Also, you don't need GBA emulation, VC injection works perfectly well for most if not all GBA games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know there is no thread like this for vita, so I'll say here if anyone is looking for a HENkaku-able Vita I'm selling one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823791

Sorry for the shameless self promotion

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Caithness posted:

I couldn't launch ambassador GBA games or DS carts, but they worked again when I upgraded to b9s and the latest luma.

I think they might have been just the ambassador games. I updated to b9s from the older arm loader or whatever and updated luma and it works fine now. Started my Minish Cap replay :getin:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

m2pt5 posted:

From what I'm seeing on /r/3dshacks and elsewhere, apparently New 2DS XLs are coming with 11.4 on them. Bummer.

That sucks. I really wanted one.

Any reports on whether or not it's an IPS screen?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Apparently the bootloader is unchanged however, so the upcoming ntrboothax exploit should still work on the N2DSXL. Installation will require an original DS flashcart but you should really have one of those anyway.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

That sucks. I really wanted one.

Any reports on whether or not it's an IPS screen?

One guy who did a video I saw couldn't tell for certain, but they look more like TN than IPS.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've been thinking about soft modding the vWii on my WiiU so that I can install Nintendon't, and play GC games on it. I accidentally bought Lego Indiana Jones 2 yesterday thinking it was the first one (drat sticker was covering the "2"!) I don't suppose Indiana Pwns works with it, does it?

Also any suggestions on where I might get an actual SD Card? Apparently SDHC cards won't work with any of the vWii game exploits, and it seems to be quite difficult to find an actual SD card. I don't think I have any lying about anymore.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I've been thinking about soft modding the vWii on my WiiU so that I can install Nintendon't, and play GC games on it. I accidentally bought Lego Indiana Jones 2 yesterday thinking it was the first one (drat sticker was covering the "2"!) I don't suppose Indiana Pwns works with it, does it?

Also any suggestions on where I might get an actual SD Card? Apparently SDHC cards won't work with any of the vWii game exploits, and it seems to be quite difficult to find an actual SD card. I don't think I have any lying about anymore.

You should follow wiiu.guide, as it has follow-up steps letting you hack vWii once the host WiiU is temporarily compromised and you don't need any games or old SD card (an SDHC will work) to do it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks univbee, I'll check that out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I was getting an error when following the guide on http://wiiu.guide/ which seemed to indicate a problem with my SD card (I may have formatted it incorrectly... I used the 3rd party formatter it links to though). While googling the error I found another guide which I've had more success with - http://www.wiiubru.com/guide I ended up restarting the whole thing, I first tried a different SD card but then used the original one (the 2nd one was only 4GB), formatted with the default Windows formatter. Things went a bit more smoothly after that.

The Browser exploit seemed much more reliable there. The one linked on wiiu.guide only worked maybe 50% of the time or less. I launched the other one maybe 4 or 5 times during the whole process, and it only froze my WiiU once. So it seemed much more reliable. The only problem then was that the Homebrew App Store didn't seem to be working properly. I ended up downloading Haxchi manually onto my SD card, as it wouldn't download from the HBAS. Anyway, I got that up and running and installed it in one of my DS games. After that, things seemed to work ok. I was able to download WUPhax from HBAS then, and got Homebrew Channel installed on my vWii. I'm backing up my NAND now. :f5:

• Locked thread