Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Have other voice assistants really surpassed Siri by that much? It works great 95% of the time for me but I haven't really been paying attention to poo poo outside of the Apple ecosystem.

This is the smartest virtual assistant — and it’s NOT Siri or Alexa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Just did the 10.13 update to high Sierra and it asks you if you want to convert to APFS during the upgrade.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

APFS would greatly improve Time Machine stores, with instant shapshots. Now, when can we update our Time Capsules to APFS? ... Probably never, I'm guessing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I sorely miss being able to ask google stuff with an exceptional degree of accuracy on my phone.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any reason to switch to APFS if you don't use Time Capsule?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gmq posted:

In theory: faster performance, more free space, more security options (per-file encryption instead of whole volume, if desired), etc.

I'm struggling to come up with reasons not to move to APFS.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gmq posted:

It's going to be the de facto Mac file system for the next decade+ so might as well

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

incoherent posted:

I sorely miss being able to ask google stuff with an exceptional degree of accuracy on my phone.

Why can't you? Did it become less accurate or something?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm on an iphone for this cell phone cycle and trapped with siri.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

incoherent posted:

I'm on an iphone for this cell phone cycle and trapped with siri.

Just download the Google app for iPhone and you get Google's assistant built in. True, it's not integrated with the iPhone like Siri is, but it just takes two button presses to get to it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

SourKraut posted:

Except the iPod, when it debuted, had no true equal or anything that surpassed it. It's weakest link was that you had to have a Mac.

That's not the case for the HomePod.

My RioMP3 strongly disagrees with you!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So there's for sure no macbook coming with 32gb of ram? That's the one thing I wanted.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Really should be having HARDWARE discussion in the HARDWARE thread..

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Matt Zerella posted:

Your echo dot probably isn't going to get anywhere near the HomePod audio wise. Also it's snitchin.

You can connect it via Line Out or Bluetooth to a decent speaker and then it sounds as good as the speakers you have already, be it a cheap Anker SoundCore Mini or a B&W Nautilis 805.

It's also no more or less snitching as any other cloud service assistant: Everything between Command Start and Command End gets sent to the backend and gets processed and added to your profile (for making recognition better and of course to have a better ad profile of you), same as if you type a search on Google/Bing/Amazon. Regardless if Google Home, Alexa, Cortana or Siri. Maybe Siri isn't used to help sell you poo poo, but who knows? It's not like Apple does anything more than nebulous laims about privacy, which are worthless without external reviews and audits.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, this is weird. My Mac (MBPr 15, Late 2013) no longer recognizes that my external display (Dell UP2414Q) is capable of resolutions higher than 1080p. This has worked fine for years prior to tonight. Cables are the same, nothing looks out of order. But I'm typing this through a blurry, garbage-person pre-retina days haze :(

The Googles seem to have zero reference to anyone else having this problem in the past. Does anybody have any ideas I could try here? I've already deleted the windowspref plist to no avail. Not sure what else I can even think to try.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

So, this is weird. My Mac (MBPr 15, Late 2013) no longer recognizes that my external display (Dell UP2414Q) is capable of resolutions higher than 1080p. This has worked fine for years prior to tonight. Cables are the same, nothing looks out of order. But I'm typing this through a blurry, garbage-person pre-retina days haze :(

The Googles seem to have zero reference to anyone else having this problem in the past. Does anybody have any ideas I could try here? I've already deleted the windowspref plist to no avail. Not sure what else I can even think to try.

I know the monitor hasn't failed as I can bring up its internal menu overlay on top of OSX and it shows it's currently running at 1920x1080 but it's capable of 3840x2160 and that's what the overlay itself is rendering at.

what the hell, macos

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

What the hell is the y-axis on this graph even doing?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Axiem posted:

What the hell is the y-axis on this graph even doing?

Took me a second but the height is based on total percent, the two percentages. But if whether or not the top percentage comes from the bottom or is a separate measurement screws with everything, so actually I don't even know what the hell the y-axis is doing on second thought.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

What? It's such a simple graph. The inner percentage is the percentage of all questions answered (outer percentage) that were answered with 100% correctness. The y axis isn't labeled but it goes from 0-100%. The inner percentage is like a second graph where the y-axis goes from 0 at the bottom to 100% at the top of the individual bar.

So Siri understood slightly more questions than Alexa, but the answers were of a lower quality.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 6, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It looks like they just hosed up the legend. Light blue is total questions answered and dark blue is the portion of those answers that were completely accurate, but they switched the colors around.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I was pretty excited for some of the announced new Siri functions, especially translation. A shame to see it only works from english to a couple of languages. The keynote also touched on Siri's improved voice, but I'm wondering if the improvements only count for the listed five or six languages (English, Chinese, German and a couple others). The Dutch Siri already sounds a lot less realistic than the English one.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Weedle posted:

It looks like they just hosed up the legend. Light blue is total questions answered and dark blue is the portion of those answers that were completely accurate, but they switched the colors around.

No, because 68 is in no way that close to 91 and so on.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

No, because 68 is in no way that close to 91 and so on.

Scale looks fine to me.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pivo posted:

Scale looks fine to me.

I see. The lower percentages are a proportion of the upper percentages.

That's awful. How are you supposed to compare across assistants then?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

That's awful. How are you supposed to compare across assistants then?

Like this:

Pivo posted:

So Siri understood slightly more questions than Alexa, but the answers were of a lower quality.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pivo posted:

Like this:

The visualisation does not contribute to that though. You'd have to take the size of the dark blue bar, divide it by the light blue bar (part of which is dark blue), and then do that for the one you're comparing. The advantage of graphs is that they can show you stuff at a glance. They should have just made it separate bars that use the same y-axis.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not really sure a quiz of 5,000 questions is the best way to judge these things, compared to "what can it do, and how reliable is it at doing those things when asked?" (but that's way harder to measure than trivia)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Matt Zerella posted:

Your echo dot probably isn't going to get anywhere near the HomePod audio wise. Also it's snitchin.

But if I wire it to my HiFi amp and floorstanding speakers it'll crap all over it. And I already own those, and the echo dot is $50

Pivo posted:

I don't think you understood my post.

To clarify, most debit or credit cards in the UK support Apple Pay, so this will work well for us - and we're outside the US.

If your bank doesn't support it, it takes about 2 weeks to switch to another one that doe

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't been paying attention closely but how in HELL is Apple going to cool a 12 or 16 core I9 in an iMac?! I assume Vega will be connected with a TB enclosure.. but the CPU?! WTF

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

redeyes posted:

I haven't been paying attention closely but how in HELL is Apple going to cool a 12 or 16 core I9 in an iMac?! I assume Vega will be connected with a TB enclosure.. but the CPU?! WTF

Same way they handle it in all of their laptops. They let it throttle as much as it wants.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Looking forward to translations and other features. Hopefully it will mean I can delete some more google apps soon.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Courage. Pure liquid courage.

Since Apple seemed to have forgotten about that whole product line up until about 3 months ago, I'm curious as well how much design has gone into cooling those kinds of chips in that form factor. I guess they have 6 months to figure it out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Since Apple seemed to have forgotten about that whole product line up until about 3 months ago, I'm curious as well how much design has gone into cooling those kinds of chips in that form factor. I guess they have 6 months to figure it out.

I didn't notice none of this is available till later this year. I still have no idea how they are going to cool those 100w+ cpus. I suppose it would be possible if you used the entire aluminum back of the computer connected to heatpipes. Odd.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Matt Zerella posted:

You're right, according to this guy the HomePod sounds great:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apples-homepod-sounds-way-better-020145933.html

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I'm not shocked. The iPod HiFi sounded great, and Apple seem to be focusing on this for music. I'd absolutely be going with this over Sonos for music considering how invested I am in the apple ecosystem, but I have a receiver with AirPlay built in so I don't need it.

If they add a battery and waterproof it in the next version, I might get one. Maybe.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
MKBHD was also very positive about the audio quality and made it sound like the Echo is the Beats of virtual assistant audio.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ufarn posted:

MKBHD was also very positive about the audio quality and made it sound like the Echo is the Beats of virtual assistant audio.

I agree, both Beats and Echo are very good.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

bobfather posted:

Same way they handle it in all of their laptops. They let it throttle as much as it wants.

They don't do that in their laptops though.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Seems likely they already figured out what they're doing here since they have animations of the cooling system's airflow in the keynote and product web page, animations overlaid on what looks like one of apple's classic photos of real hardware that have been set up to look so perfect you think it's a render. Also chicken little stuff about OMG THEY FORGOT ABOUT X that outsiders love to repeat until they actually start believing it probably has very little to do with what's going on inside.

I mean we'll see how well it all works in 6 mos but can we just go easy with the predictable omg it's gonna melt hot takes till then, thermal management is one of the things apple does really well overall

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cbirdsong posted:

I'm not really sure a quiz of 5,000 questions is the best way to judge these things, compared to "what can it do, and how reliable is it at doing those things when asked?" (but that's way harder to measure than trivia)

Honestly I don't give a tiny little crap how many of a huge list of obscure queries Siri can answer; it's basically useless to me until they decide to get around to adding some basic form of context to it.

You know, like command history.

"Hey Siri, play that last song again."
"Hey Siri, repeat the last search, only change New Jersey to New York."
"Hey Siri, text the person I just looked up."

Or like context from other apps, sensors, all the poo poo in the ecosystem.

"Hey Siri, what's the traffic like ahead?"

These are all queries I've tried—and had need of—within minutes of every new version of Siri and to date every single time it's always come up blank. Ridiculous. Oh but I can look for nearby coffee shops yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

they talked about that in the presentation

MACHINE LEARNING
ON THE DEVICE

CONVOLUTIONAL NEURAL NETWORKS

SIRI WILL HAVE CONTEXT!

yes they patted themselves on the back on stage for introducing context to siri which i found a bit amusing but it's coming basically.