Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
E: never mind I'm dumb as hell, as payment here's your reminder to find the story where Mojo forces Sam and Bobby to make a show for him. Looks like it ran through Astonishing Tales Volume 2?

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

X-O posted:

Day 62: Cannonball

This is Sam Guthrie. And he's nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'.

I grabbed a metric ton of X-stuff from the Amazon sale, and the very first book I opened with Psylocke featured a "focused totality of my telepathic powers" within like six panels of her showing up.

Both of these goofy turns of phrase are exactly why I love comic books. :allears:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Don't forget Cannonball had a younger sister named Husk who could rip off her flesh to have a body made of whatever she could think of in a situation. Because they were from the Midwest, see. Don't know if she ever had corn-flesh though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Don't forget Cannonball had a younger sister named Husk who could rip off her flesh to have a body made of whatever she could think of in a situation. Because they were from the Midwest, see. Don't know if she ever had corn-flesh though.

Is she the one who went on to have sex with Angel in midair in front of her parents in a Chuck Austen story?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

I just remember her crossover character for Amalgam was Dial H for Hero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't the Guthries have like 20 siblings or something insane?

I remember DARK BEAST tried experimenting on one of the younger ones when he and regular Beast were trying to undo M-day. Because he figured hey, 2 mutants in the same family, gotta mean something.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is she the one who went on to have sex with Angel in midair in front of her parents in a Chuck Austen story?

Yes. She was cool in Generation X, it sucks that *this* is what she's remembered most for :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's at least three mutants from that family. There's also the one who can mind control a Sentinel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Don't the Guthries have like 20 siblings or something insane?

I remember DARK BEAST tried experimenting on one of the younger ones when he and regular Beast were trying to undo M-day. Because he figured hey, 2 mutants in the same family, gotta mean something.

There's at least 10.

https://uncannyxmen.net/family-tree/the-guthries

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Kentucky is the midwest? The Guthries are from coal country, dude.

No, really - Cannonball's father died of black lung from working in a coal mine so young Sam dropped out of school to work in the same mine that killed his old man, and when there was a mine collapse that's what activated his mutant powers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

joehonkie posted:

I just remember her crossover character for Amalgam was Dial H for Hero.

Dial a HUSK. She'd tear her skin off to reveal a different hero underneath. It was a cool, creepy, visual.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Dial a HUSK. She'd tear her skin off to reveal a different hero underneath. It was a cool, creepy, visual.

:engleft: Dial H.U.S.K.

e:

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Dial-a-Husk sounds like a sexy hotline for gross aliens.

EDIT: Ack, that picture is like some weird optical illusion. The part where she's tearing off her face and the tiara is UNDERNEATH. Nightmares, man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

redbackground posted:

:engleft: Dial H.U.S.K.

e:

Yeah, yeah. I have that whole card set, and the DC vs Marvel one. Nightcreeper was another favorite.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 63: Thin Man

I know basically what's on this entry and nothing more. I think his profile picture there is fairly hilarious though. Just don't call him Flat Man. I assume he hates that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
drat, PhD in undisclosed area of science is such a comic book thing. This guy was pretty neat when he made a go of being the Daredevil to Reed Richards' Spider-Man a few years back in one of the many attempts to get a new Invaders book off the ground.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

His power is forgettable but those small, superfluous lapels... that's forever.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

X-O posted:

I know basically what's on this entry and nothing more. I think his profile picture there is fairly hilarious though. Just don't call him Flat Man. I assume he hates that.

Flat Man, meanwhile, thinks it's a lovely compliment.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Thin Man is old school. How old school? Mystic comics #4, his first appearance, was dated August 1940.

For reference, Captain America's first comics appearance, Captain America Comics #1, was dated March 1941.

Check out the Thin Man's entry in this Marvel Wikia, it's pretty delightful.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Check out the Thin Man's entry in this Marvel Wikia, it's pretty delightful.

Wow, Captain America can be a real dick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Wow, Captain America can be a real dick.

Well, yeah, he's a Nazi.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 64: Chondu The Mystic

Hmm, let's take a look at this guy... :stare:

Whoa. That is quite a design.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

...brain transplanted into the body of Nighthawk II, then mind transformed by Doctor Strange into the body of fawn, then mind transferred into artificial brain of monster body described above; became insane.

You don't say.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Reminds me of that one lame villain who has puppets for hands who somehow is tied with driving Scarlet Witch crazy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's okay, his insanity was cured, but at the cost of his whole body (and his unicorn horn).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I love Chondu the Mystic. Some other good Chondu looks:

These days he's a bartender.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Rirse posted:

Reminds me of that one lame villain who has puppets for hands who somehow is tied with driving Scarlet Witch crazy.
Master Pandemonium doesn't always have puppets for hands. Usually he has a five pointed star shaped hole in his chest where (if I remember right) his soul was pulled out but during that story in West Coast Avengers, 2/5 of his star was filled in with the souls of Scarlet Witch's fake kids who then became his hands because everything about this sentence makes perfect sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they weren't fake when he stole their souls

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they weren't fake when he stole their souls
I think they were, actually. The entire central thrust to the story was a part of John Byrne's weird tantrum over the Vision leading to his emotionless ghost look for a few years and making the kids figments of her imagination created by some doofy magic spell was part of the whole thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To clarify, all of Master Pandemonium's limbs are puppets.

They were established as fake in the lead up to Pandemonium kidnapping then absorbing them, and then it being revealed that in fact he was never recovering pieces of his soul but that he had been tricked by Mephisto into recovering pieces of his demonic essence that he had lost when he got blown up by Franklin Richards. Then Wanda got mindwiped and they disappeared until House of M.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Byrne's latent misogyny led to some of the most convoluted stories in comics. And bad fashion, for that matter (unless someone else designed that rig-out of Sue Storm's).

NorgLyle posted:

The entire central thrust to the story was a part of John Byrne's weird tantrum over the Vision leading to his emotionless ghost look

See, I always thought of this as a tantrum over Wanda because of the "fake kids" thing, what was Byrne's issue with Vision?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Byrne's latent misogyny led to some of the most convoluted stories in comics. And bad fashion, for that matter (unless someone else designed that rig-out of Sue Storm's).

Man, I don't want this cool-rear end thread to turn into a Byrne derail, but this reminds me of the weird tendency we have to judge people by the Worst Things They've Done - if someone starts out lovely and grows as a person, there are always going to be people who never let them forget it, and if someone starts out great and then devolves into a crank or a weirdo or a shithead, then their past good works invariably get viewed through a poo poo-smeared lens.

Byrne was definitely going Weird Places in his life by the time he took the reins on Avengers West Coast, but his work on X-Men, FF, and (yeah, I'll say it) Alpha Flight was really good. I also really liked Sensational She-Hulk, which he was putting out around the same time as AWC and, arguably, was as fun and female-friendly a comic as you'd find at that time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

See, I always thought of this as a tantrum over Wanda because of the "fake kids" thing, what was Byrne's issue with Vision?

Vision is a "toaster" and has no emotions, and the hundreds of comics contradicting this notion are LIES.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Man, I don't want this cool-rear end thread to turn into a Byrne derail, but this reminds me of the weird tendency we have to judge people by the Worst Things They've Done - if someone starts out lovely and grows as a person, there are always going to be people who never let them forget it, and if someone starts out great and then devolves into a crank or a weirdo or a shithead, then their past good works invariably get viewed through a poo poo-smeared lens.

Byrne was definitely going Weird Places in his life by the time he took the reins on Avengers West Coast, but his work on X-Men, FF, and (yeah, I'll say it) Alpha Flight was really good. I also really liked Sensational She-Hulk, which he was putting out around the same time as AWC and, arguably, was as fun and female-friendly a comic as you'd find at that time.

How does BSS not already have a thread dedicated to Byrne?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Vision is a "toaster" and has no emotions, and the hundreds of comics contradicting this notion are LIES.

Including the most famous panel of him crying

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ecavalli posted:

How does BSS not already have a thread dedicated to Byrne?

Talking about Byrne is like chewing tobacco. It's uncivilized and leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

X-O posted:

A great character idea badly realized? Hey, DC can do that, too! (See: Ron-Karr of Neptune)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
John Byrne's whole thing by the early 1990s when he did Avengers West Coast (and only hardened going forward) was this sort of weird FRAMER'S INTENT philosophy. It got even worse after Kirby died and Byrne briefly batted around trying to take on the mantle of The New King, Heir to Jack's Throne before getting slapped down violently by well, everyone.

Therefore when he did his New Gods stuff in the late 1990s, he insisted no one but Kirby's interpretation mattered. Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were loyal members of Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants back when STAN AND JACK wrote them, so shouldn't they still be that? Hawkeye was a kneejerk hothead WHEN STAN AND JACK WROTE HIM so there's no way he'd be leader of an Avengers team! And Vision is just an android very much not made from the parts of the original Human Torch because that was Steve Englehart, who had probably slighted Byrne at some point so gently caress Englehart violating the original form of the Vision that Stan and Jack, er, Roy and John created.

Now when he decided to invalidate half of the old style FRAMER'S INTENT of Superman in 1986, that was okay because ____________________.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Day 64: Chondu The Mystic

Hmm, let's take a look at this guy... :stare:

Whoa. That is quite a design.

Former alias: Bambi...?

• Locked thread