Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Don't quote him, it defeats having him on ignore. TIA.

Woah woah woah man, no need to be that extreme. We could still be friends? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ilor posted:

I disagree, but that may be because I see its complication as a (a pretty solid) real attempt to root out the bullshit interpretations people come up with in poorly-written rules. Yes, Infinity has some weird corner cases and a few FAQs awaiting an official answer - but it doesn't stop you from playing the game and there are very rarely arguments over the rules during a game. And aside from a plethora of different weapon profiles (most of which boil down to difference in range bands and difference in damage type), everything works pretty much the same way. And some stuff (like cover or line-of-fire) is so much easier that it makes the rest of the game play very quickly and easily.

Mostly it's the complication between special rules - so many of them have like three levels or more. There are tons of ways to deploy. Lots of different hidden model effects and things. I got burned in first edition by lots of total reaction stuff that just wasn't fun at all. Was hoping second edition would simplify a lot of that and get rid of dumb special rules and it didn't happen so I've largely dropped the game.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Texmo posted:

I don't really think it's the network effect, because that doesn't really explain how stuff like this for a nowhere-near-as-popular game costs $135
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/us-konflikt-47-starter-set

especailly when you compare it to, say, the new 40k set which is $160, and has two factions.

$160 is pretty insane. Most children are going to look at that and see that they're halfway to a real video game console. I don't know any new to the Hobby types were going to spend $160 out of the blue. Most game companies are releasing starter boxes that are $75 or less.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Moola posted:

only bitches use ignore function :cool:

Put on ignore for gendered insults.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Aren't those sculpts like literally 30 years old were originally from a Thrud the Barbarian thing?

No, they're about 15 years old and were part of Asdrubael Vect's model.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

muggins posted:

$160 is pretty insane. Most children are going to look at that and see that they're halfway to a real video game console. I don't know any new to the Hobby types were going to spend $160 out of the blue. Most game companies are releasing starter boxes that are $75 or less.

I imagine GW is banking on people splitting it 50/50

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

PrinnySquadron posted:

I imagine GW is banking on people splitting it 50/50

Yeah, likely current fans, not new ones.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Splitting never made sense to me as a kid since there's only one set of rules.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Splitting never made sense to me as a kid since there's only one set of rules.

Yeah but the rules are :airquote: free now

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hamshot posted:

how dare u

Let me break it down for you.

I don't like thing.

I'm mildly amused by how bad thing is.

I'm a little more amused by how rapidly tribal some people who like thing are.

I like to read posts in thread about how bad thing is while I slack off at work for five minutes while drinking my coffee.

Not liking thing is not an obsession of mine, but I like to spend five minutes every now and again chortling merrily at how bad thing is.

However, me not liking thing makes some people who do like thing really mad, and they come into the not-liking thread to tell people how bad it is to not like thing and tell others how much they like thing.

This is amusing for a while, but really drags the quality of the not-liking thread down after a while.

In conclusion: Its okay to like thing, I forgive you

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I can think of, oh...

...at least four people who obsess over not liking thing.

I like thing, it's true.

There are parts of the thing I like that I don't like.

Linebreak.

I like reading this thread for the bad bits people don't like about things.

I don't like people that obsess over hating thing, and I do not accuse you personally, forums user Geisladisk, of being among them.

I don't like non-truths about thing. I don't like unfair comparisons to other things that, turns out, comes with a whole host of clauses and subclauses as to why it's different for this thing and not that thing.

I point out alt-truths in humorous ways.

This makes people who don't like thing very mad, and they put me on ignore.

In conclusion, please focus on the bad things, and keep away from hyperbole if you can't stand the criticism for it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Moola posted:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I don't think people put you on ignore for the reasons you think they do, Hamshot. :v:

I play 40k and it is by all reasonable metrics a terrible and overcosted game (seriously I think the price barrier for an average army is probably the number one thing stopping new and hopefully less goony people from jumping into the game), but I also think it's totally fine to complain about the game or the company making it, hyperbolic or not.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Hamshot posted:

A shameful display.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yo Moola, did you ever finish that skull boy?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ignore function is for cowards

Always Poast With Honor™

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

I don't think people put you on ignore for the reasons you think they do, Hamshot. :v:

:allears:

Just as an example, this is a thing I would like to see less of:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think there's legitimately an interesting conversation to be had here but I don't know that you're actually interesting in having it.

Conversely, this is a thing I would like to see more of:

There is plenty to poo poo on about GW. You guys target the wrong things, and just generally suck at it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hamshot posted:

There is plenty to poo poo on about GW. You guys target the wrong things, and just generally suck at it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hamshot posted:

This guys confused, if he was a real ham he'd know that loyalists are just as likely to murder sisters as any chaos dudes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hamshot posted:

So who is this and why should we care? Is he one of Kirby's lackeys? Is he some company rep? Gimme some funny glass door reviews if we're talking about making GBS threads on GW here.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Moola posted:

"e-honour demands you read the bad posts" is a very silly opinion, ignore whoever you want

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The one thing I wish GW did better was post funny job ads the way WOTC regularly does. Can't really beat asking software developers and senior project managers to take huge pay cuts while living in Seattle.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

"e-honour demands you read the bad posts" is a very silly opinion, ignore whoever you want

On the other hand i can see why some people are afraid they'd have no audience if the ignore function is widely used.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Mantic models are bad" is really not true anymore. The new ones are a marked improvment. Here's a quick cell phone pic of the new steel warrior and the old one. There's a significant difference, and I don't see anything in the new one that is worse than what GW does. From a design standpoint it's certainly cleaner than a lot of GW models.

edit: fixed the shoulder pad I hosed up.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 6, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Could you take a darker picture please I can still see some detail on this one

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Radish posted:

I personally want to play more of that Runebound mini game. The rules seem fairly tight and they are picking and choosing good stuff from a few other systems. Problem is, like most non-X wing FF games you can't find anyone else to play it. I kinda also like the way they handle the winds of magic totally original random magic system.

Yeah same. I think it'd probably have had a hard time regardless, but speaking of bad decisions by game companies, FFG's standard release pattern for their games like that makes no sense. You still can't buy very many extras for Runebound, just more archers/cav and some unit leaders. So even if someone picked it up, really liked it, and wanted to go deep, there's nowhere obvious to go. Everyone who knows about FFG's general behavior knows they'll want to get at least one of the unit expansions for the upgrade cards, so buying a second box set is pretty low-value, but that's the only way to get more of some of your units right now. Let alone new units, which they've announced but you can't get yet.

It's intensely frustrating.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Yo Moola, did you ever finish that skull boy?

you're gonna have to way, WAY more specific buddy

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ultiville posted:

It's intensely frustrating.

Look on the right side, the slower FFG releases models for their games they slower they'll inevitably ruin them with power creep.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Hamshot posted:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ashcans posted:

This guys confused, if he was a real ham he'd know that loyalists are just as likely to murder sisters as any chaos dudes.
Stop greyknighting, she isn't gonna protect you from chaos anyway.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

in it, voted 5

(also feels c00l that at least(?) 3 of the top 4 are people who use this as a chat thread)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
made it onto the list, even if it's near the bottom. finally my fanatical hatred for good games have achieved something :unsmith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

you're gonna have to way, WAY more specific buddy

Well, originally I was trying to say bot but autocorrect changed it and I was pretty sure you were going to know what I was talking about. Skull boy also sounded funnier.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skull boy sounds like a close relative of the spicy boy.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh the gundamn, no he's on my table of shame with all the other half finished projects :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Moola posted:

gundamn

i always type it like this too :hfive: buddy

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 6, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

:catstare:

uh

you be you, I guess?
Uh, thanks for your...permission? I guess?

My point was simply that if you're going to lambaste CB for misogyny in its minis as a reason not to play it, you should level the same criticism at GW, and further that GW's fictional depiction of women in its in-game universe goes beyond "combat heels and exposed midriffs" and well into some truly :wtc: territory vis-a-vis the Sisters of Battle and the Grey Knights.

Now if you just don't like Infinity's "Eurotrash anime aesthetic," that's totally cool. I personally find PP's Warmachine bandy-legged hunch-back steam-punk weirdness to be pretty off-putting. I think Hamshot tries too hard, but his essential point is a decent one - we don't all have to like the same thing, but if you're going to criticize a thing, support your argument.

Which gets me to my next observation; people who don't like thing usually have a good reason for not liking thing. Some are more vocal than others, but at some level most realize that liking thing in the past has come with some associated cost (be it monetary or opportunity cost). Further, most only recognize the true scope of that cost now that they no longer like thing and have a chance to reflect on their lives now that they're not spending all their time/effort/money on thing. When people new to (and naturally enthusiastic about) thing come along, people who have become disillusioned with thing often feel a desire to give their opinions about thing by way of warning to others - "it is to late for me, save yourself," if you will. They may offer their experience - "if you like thing, you might like other-thing more," because it requires less time/effort/money, whatever.

The problem comes when neither the thing-likers nor the thing-not-likers are capable of hearing the underlying pros or cons of thing. At this point, they are talking past each other and their "conversation" becomes akin to the shrieking of monkeys - complete with the occasional fistful of flung poo.

I get why some people like GW games. I still think Battlefleet: Gothic was loving sweet, and I have fond memories of playing Blood Bowl. But there are loads of other games out there, many of which provide a more engaging game-play experience, or more tactical depth, or less start-up cost, or make fewer demands on my increasingly precious time, or whatever. And I have a pretty good local gaming scene, so complaints of, "yeah, but you can't go to your FLGS and get a pick-up game of other-thing" aren't really germane to my situation.

Further, I don't hate GW as a company; I think that their management was short-sighted-verging-on-incompetent, but I could say the same of most publicly-traded companies.

Thanks for reading my :effort: post. Here's an opossum eating a banana for your troubles, friend:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

i always type i like this too :hfive: buddy

I always make so many mistakes with phone posting

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in that Runwars game, let me read a review of it!

"Coming from Age of Sigmar in particular and being an avid player and fan of that game, it all just seems too cumbersome and weighted down with fiddly bits. Age of Sigmar is four pages of rules, your figures, whatever surface you are playing on, some terrain models, and a tape measure. Resolutions are all D6 based. All of the unit rules are on Warscrolls, which you can pull up on your phone. It's really a simpler game in terms of rules and physical components, but equally complex and deep. Maybe some folks think all of the extra stuff makes it more strategic or whatever, but I look at all of the clutter out on the table including the double dials you put out by your units and just kind of shrug. Yep, it's a Fantasy Flight Game. "
"I'll not be trading in any of my Age of Sigmar armies for Runewars booster packs primarily because I think this game- which already seems destined for popularity- feels almost completely redundant with other games. It feels far too much like a "me too" product put on the market chiefly to appeal to three kinds of players. One is the massive X-Wing fanbase, who would likely prefer that this game were set in the Star Wars universe and featured land battles with AT-ATs and ranks of Stormtroopers rather than the embarrassingly bland Terrinoth setting. The second type is board gamers who are reluctant to play games that have tape measures and army books or have not gotten the memo that buying stacks of board games is just as expensive as buying a miniatures army. The third are players who are still (to speak quite frankly) stupidly aggrieved that Games Workshop smartly rebooted and streamlined Warhammer Fantasy Battles into Age of Sigmar. "

The one thing consistently worse than GW? GW fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Strongly considering taking the money I was going to spend on the 8th starter box and spend it on Age of Sigmar instead. Just do what you like :shrug:

• Locked thread