Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If that is an intentional portmanteau... :golfclap:

Coincidentally it is, at least. "ken" in Japanese means fist/way/technique (in a martial arts context), like in Kung Fu Panda the joke "Panda technique" is "Panda ken". The "Tek" part of Tekken is Teki, meaning iron, as in "iron fist" like the tournament the game is based around.

Pokkén basically does the same thing for its construction, and the fact that it lines up nicely with Tekken is a bonus and more or less expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit I was just talking about how I haven't finished Moon yet. Now I need to play some sort of B2/W2 style sequel?

It doesn't even look like a sequel though, more like the usual third version

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
my concern is that switch won't become the next Game Boy, and we will see a new DS

probably not, especially because a mainline SMT seems to be announced for switch, along with monhun, but I have been a fanboy long enough to have been burned plenty

I have been hurt before

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leave it to Nintendo to make the perfect mobile system and then neglect it for their other good but not perfect mobile system.

There's still E3, I guess?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"Seem to be a ton of rumors going about for Pokemon Stars"

"PERFECT TIMING FOR A DIRECT FOR OUR NEW 3DS ONLY POKEMON"

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

KingSlime posted:

i dont know anything about rumors what are you even talking about

I'm just talking from my personal point of view, this is really lovely of nintendo

but also extremely par for the course

why is nintendo like this

Because they are, and always will be, completely inept.

The only thing that will save the treehouse will be the announcement of the new Metroid - Which I told everyone about months ago. Right Videogames? :)

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Leave it to Nintendo to make the perfect mobile system and then neglect it for their other good but not perfect mobile system.

There's still E3, I guess?

They'll turn it around one day friend, I believe!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just peaked back into the video games word and found my dreams are answered and monster hunter will be on the Switch. All I see is a Japanese release date of August, any word on a US release date...cause monster hunters sometimes have a HUGE gap between regions.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the last shot of that ultrasun/moon trailer bit at 3:15 looks way too good to be on the 3ds and i think its stars footage running on a switch, which is being saved for e3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-CBOrLnb0&t=6s

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bombadilillo posted:

Just peaked back into the video games word and found my dreams are answered and monster hunter will be on the Switch. All I see is a Japanese release date of August, any word on a US release date...cause monster hunters sometimes have a HUGE gap between regions.

Check back next week.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Cool, I can get Pokkén for the Switch instead now.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I have zero desire to play Pokken and will never own a 3ds, so here's to hoping I get to play a goddamn mainline Pokemon one day since DP.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah I would be shocked (and pretty pissed) if they didn't have any concrete monhun info during E3

switch you need to hurry up and become the next vita, drat it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Utnayan posted:

Because they are, and always will be, completely inept.

The only thing that will save the treehouse will be the announcement of the new Metroid - Which I told everyone about months ago. Right Videogames? :)

But you also said this:

Utnayan posted:

I fully expect Switch sales to absolutely and 100% tank by middle to the end of May (Quite possibly sooner) and remain completely 100% flat until the next Mario launch, and we will see a rinse and repeat of the Wii U disaster.
;)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

yeah I would be shocked (and pretty pissed) if they didn't have any concrete monhun info during E3

switch you need to hurry up and become the next vita, drat it

Why would you wish that on any console, what the gently caress

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

the last shot of that ultrasun/moon trailer bit at 3:15 looks way too good to be on the 3ds and i think its stars footage running on a switch, which is being saved for e3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-CBOrLnb0&t=6s

http://i.imgur.com/zbTDYWG.mp4

It doesn't have the outlines at least so it's not anything in-engine. Maybe a cut-scene?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KingSlime posted:

my concern is that switch won't become the next Game Boy, and we will see a new DS

probably not, especially because a mainline SMT seems to be announced for switch, along with monhun, but I have been a fanboy long enough to have been burned plenty

I have been hurt before

I would be worried if there's still heavy development on 3DS into 2018, remember that Pokemon Black and White 2 came out like a year after the 3DS.

Also keep in mind how absurd the sales of Pokemon Sun and Moon were, to the point where you couldn't buy a 3DS for months afterwards, so there's still a ton of new owners. I wouldn't be surprised if they were taken aback by that and started sending more projects to the 3DS as a result.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

But you also said this:

;)

Please don't shitpostersass

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for the Switch would be, honestly, a very bad idea. The thing is brand new, it's priced like a higher end machine, and these are sequels to games whose fanbases are already invested in the 3DS or the primary market for the 3DS.

There is no practical reason to put it on the Switch that isn't pleasing fanboys with skewed priorities.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zelder posted:

Why would you wish that on any console, what the gently caress

because it had more games

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The only actual gripe I have about this is that I wish they went with Incineroar over Decidueye for Pokken DX

Otherwise this was a Good Direct

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It doesn't have the outlines at least so it's not anything in-engine. Maybe a cut-scene?

It's the same style as the demo cutscene and when big events happen in sun/moon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well.. fingers crossed then we're getting another announce during E3

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Looks like it's pre-rendered but it'd have to take character customization into account wouldn't it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Looks like it's pre-rendered but it'd have to take character customization into account wouldn't it?

could be from the intro movie.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

because it had more games

Yah but the switch is a lot less likely to die an ignoble death like the vita did

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for the Switch would be, honestly, a very bad idea. The thing is brand new, it's priced like a higher end machine, and these are sequels to games whose fanbases are already invested in the 3DS or the primary market for the 3DS.

There is no practical reason to put it on the Switch that isn't pleasing fanboys with skewed priorities.
It's already a double-dip title so it makes perfect sense to release it on Switch?

I could understand if it was something more substantial like a gen 4 remake, but this is just a remix of the games with I assume a new story and different forms.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because they treat the Switch as a larger console that is sometimes portable and the 3DS as the more dedicated handheld whose primary market is younger people

Guess which market is more important for mainline Pokemon

The pokken trailer literally treated the switch as nothing but a portable.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I bet Mario maker will too

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Looks just as low-poly as the normal models so yeah thinking "it might be a switch thing" is really reaching

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The new policy is that if something is leaked months in advance, the final product will be vastly different from what people originally posted to the point it might in fact be an entirely different title.

Leakers get Beakers.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah once you put aside hype about eurogamer rumors more Pokken is a good thing game is boss

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Chances are they started working on Ultra Moon/Sun as soon as the original Moon/Sun were done, long before the Switch even launched. Back then, it would've seemed like a fairly safe decision.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Except when they played on a TV?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pokken is good but that game's scene died within months. Maybe being on something besides noted dead system Wii U will help it.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Cicero posted:

Chances are they started working on Ultra Moon/Sun as soon as the original Moon/Sun were done, long before the Switch even launched. Back then, it would've seemed like a fairly safe decision.

Except when they played on a TV?

Yeah for like 5% of the trailer, most of it was Japanese boy traveling the world

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah, and most of the players in it are twenty somethings with jobs or who can afford to travel long distances. Compare that to the mainline Pokemon trailers that are full of kids and focus on them interacting in their community. You're focusing on the wrong thing from my statement.

Pants Donkey posted:

It's already a double-dip title so it makes perfect sense to release it on Switch?

I could understand if it was something more substantial like a gen 4 remake, but this is just a remix of the games with I assume a new story and different forms.

It's unclear whether it's a remix or a straight sequel like B2W2, but Pokemon has always treated its sequels/remixes/whatever as mainline releases, because, again, that's where their core audience is.

Honestly? A sequel to the biggest 3DS game of 2016 whose primary audience is CHILDREN being released on an expensive system that is hard to find would be a major dick move.

Cicero posted:

Also, this.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Whatever I guess. I'd rather them do a low effort Ultra-Moon/Stars for 3DS if it allows to them to come out with a proper Switch game sooner. With the Switch selling as many as they can produce for the foreseeable future and 3ds still chugging along, I get it. As someone else said though, if big first party development resources are spent on the 3DS well into 2018 then I think it's a huge mistake.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
FYI Pokemon releasing a game on an older console when a new console is on the horizon/already out is nothing new.

Pokemon Crystal came out ~4 months before the GBA came out in Japan, and came out 1 month after the GBA did in america.

Pokemon Emerald came out 2 months before the DS did in japan, and came out 6 months after the DS came out in america.

Pokemon Black and White 2 came out a year after the 3DS came out, months after the 3DS XL had already been released in non-JP countries.

They've been doing this for a while, so let's not read too much into it please.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hey but at least your player has a switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The n3ds can't even run the new Pokemon at consistent 30 fps, short of a new affordable child ds being made I don't know where the next generation of Pokemon will go. Plus the switch won't be expensive forever and it's built stronger than it looks, so Pokemon would probably come to it in a year unless they're going to run the 3ds forever?

• Locked thread