Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got a 9.7 pro for $499 last week....can't decide if spending and additional 150 is worth it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I haven't used an iPad in a couple years because my Plus phone suited my needs but man, those new iOS 11 features make it really compelling.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ethanol posted:

I got a 9.7 pro for $499 last week....can't decide if spending and additional 150 is worth it...

I'm staying with mine right now. 120Hz screen sounds nice, but I don't plan on having an Apple Pencil anytime soon. Feels like a S year.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah you can literally order it right now.

poo poo I didn't understand the announcement. Is it worth an upgrade?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

beergod posted:

poo poo I didn't understand the announcement. Is it worth an upgrade?

From a first gen pro? No.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is it safe to assume that the old big Pro will feel as snappy as it does now after ios11? My last iPad before that was an Air so I felt the upgrade in a big way but this seems pretty feature packed with the new iOS so I am hoping that the old Pro is powerful enough to run it without slowdowns. Also I REALLY hope that developers see this and realize that the larger size is staying here and update their lovely apps (looking at you Facebook) for the larger size.

Another question - I understand how the Pencil will feel better with the faster screen but how does t look smoother to the human eye? I thought 60fps was the limit in terms of how fast we can see things.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
I can't pretend to know what iOS 11 will look but the human eye can definitely perceive frame rates above 60; this is why VR and fancy gaming monitors run at way higher refresh rate.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Endless Mike posted:

From a first gen pro? No.

How about from an Air 2? I don't know that I'd be getting a Pencil right away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are those sexy new iOS 11 features exclusive to Pros or are they coming to the Air 2?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I believe anything that doesn't specifically involve the pencil should work fine on the Air 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I'm looking at the iPad comparison chart on the Apple website and it's not pretty.

iPad: € 409
10,5 inch iPad Pro: € 739

That's an 81% price difference.

Before the whole Pro lineup buying an iPad meant getting best-in-class tech and design for € 500 (or an identically specced tiny one for € 100 less!). Now I get to choose between the iPad "we put no effort into this at all" for a whole lot of money or the iPad "oh sorry, did you say you wanted a tablet? We thought you said laptop" for the price of a used car.

Really I just want a 10,5" A9 iPad with the new screen and bezels. I already have a MBP so drat the Pro functionality and especially drat putting in 12MP camera's with all sorts of tech wizardry and 4K recording in a device you'll never ever ever use as a camera. Hell I'd even be perfectly happy with having no camera on the back and just a 1080p FaceTime camera on the front if it would shave a couple of bucks off the retail price. All of the cool new software stuff would be work to the walls awesome on a device like this and it would look absolutely fantastic.

Edit- It makes all the business sense in the world and is great for Apple, but horrible for their customers. Thanks Timb.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 6, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think you just need to let go of your hangups over the new screen on the 10.5 versus the iPad 5's 9.7 screen.

Like, the iPad 5 is a great deal. It's just as fast, if not faster, than the Air 2. It's got TouchID and Apple Pay and will be supported for years and years. It also costs less than the mimi 4's entry price.

If you don't need the Pro features or Pencil support, just get over not having the latest screen dimension and pocket the difference.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I Am Crake posted:

I'm looking at the iPad comparison chart on the Apple website and it's not pretty.

iPad: € 409
10,5 inch iPad Pro: € 739

That's an 81% price difference.

Before the whole Pro lineup buying an iPad meant getting best-in-class tech and design for € 500 (or an identically specced tiny one for € 100 less!). Now I get to choose between the iPad "we put no effort into this at all" for a whole lot of money or the iPad "oh sorry, did you say you wanted a tablet? We thought you said laptop" for the price of a used car.

Really I just want a 10,5" A9 iPad with the new screen and bezels. I already have a MBP so drat the Pro functionality and especially drat putting in 12MP camera's with all sorts of tech wizardry and 4K recording in a device you'll never ever ever use as a camera. Hell I'd even be perfectly happy with having no camera on the back and just a 1080p FaceTime camera on the front if it would shave a couple of bucks off the retail price. All of the cool new software stuff would be work to the walls awesome on a device like this and it would look absolutely fantastic.

Edit- It makes all the business sense in the world and is great for Apple, but horrible for their customers. Thanks Timb.

What? Just buy the cheaper iPad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah buy whatever one you want, nobody else cares

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That 512 model will keep me going with digital comics for many many years. Very tempted.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

...and especially drat putting in 12MP camera's with all sorts of tech wizardry and 4K recording in a device you'll never ever ever use as a camera.

You've never gone to a child's sporting or band concert event I see.

I get it, the extras on the Pro don't cost Apple $400 so why should they cost consumers a premium. But that's the way literally everything over a certain price point is priced. Cars, handbags, watches...tablets.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
My main gripe is that they've kept the better display and design out of the regular iPad. This isn't a Pro feature like the stylus or the smart connectors. The premium design and best display on the market has been a staple of the iPad line since forever, and the only reason they didn't include them in the regular iPad is because they needed them as USPs for the Pro. It's dickish.

Krispy Kareem posted:

You've never gone to a child's sporting or band concert event I see.

Some people pick their nose or fight their spouse in public. These also aren't things that should happen just because they sometimes do.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I Am Crake posted:

My main gripe is that they've kept the better display and design out of the regular iPad. This isn't a Pro feature like the stylus or the smart connectors. The premium design and best display on the market has been a staple of the iPad line since forever, and the only reason they didn't include them in the regular iPad is because they needed them as USPs for the Pro. It's dickish.

It's not like their normal displays are completely awful in comparison.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

I Am Crake posted:

This is really silly. Consumers won't notice a difference between the color gamut or refresh rate when looking at cat videos. And $329 for a 32gb iPad that is on par with the iPad Air 2 is more than fair, considering the Air 2 debuted at $499 for a 16GB device a few years ago.

You're chasing specs and getting mad that you don't have the best, but under normal use you'd be hard-pressed to notice a singular difference. Meanwhile, those of us with actual uses for the bigger screen, better color gamut, and pencil support have no problem paying for those extra features.

The real stuff to get mad about is: the iPad Pro 9.7" only getting a single year of production and the iPad Pro 12.9" not getting any size/weight reduction by way of shrinking bezels.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
It the 10.x" iPad the EXACT same form factor as 9.x" iPad?

Will cases and smart keyboards work on either? I'm guessing not but hoping so...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

It the 10.x" iPad the EXACT same form factor as 9.x" iPad?

Will cases and smart keyboards work on either? I'm guessing not but hoping so...

It's ever so slightly larger than the 9.7" (less than half inch taller or 10mm).

It has a new full size smart keyboard so I don't think older accessories will work with it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I Am Crake posted:

I'm with you. My iPad use case is just a portable screen for watching cat videos, light web surfing and simple games so I really would prefer the best possible screen. Yeah, maybe I won't notice the difference in day to day use (though higher refresh rate is always nicer), but it would be nice to have the option of the best screen they produce without having to pay such a premium for it.

It's entirely possible they'll put the nicer screen into the next iPad but who knows when that might happen.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I Am Crake posted:

The premium design and best display on the market has been a staple of the iPad line since forever, and the only reason they didn't include them in the regular iPad is because they needed them as USPs for the Pro. It's dickish.

Markets, goals, and features change over the years. "Normies" aren't going to care about a low latency, DCI-P3 compliant, 120Hz display that automatically adjusts white balance based on lighting. It's a "pro" display for a device they're trying to pitch to creative types.
Not to mention the iPads Pro are the only iPads that have had True Tone displays and/or stereo speakers since they've come around. The regular-rear end iPad is $300 cheaper. It isn't going to have every fancy feature the high-end model does.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There are going to be some pissed off people in this thread when the iPhone X costs $300 more than the 7s and has extra features.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The only thing that raises my eyebrow a bit is they raised the price of "become an iPad Pro user by buying a base model" by $50.

Not saying it's wrong/justified/whatever, rather that it seems unusual

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Didn't they do that with one of the mini models?

edit: Yup. Mini 1 launched at $329, Mini 2 launched at $399.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bobfather posted:

The real stuff to get mad about is: the iPad Pro 9.7" only getting a single year of production and the iPad Pro 12.9" not getting any size/weight reduction by way of shrinking bezels.

I find the 9.7 bezels already borderline small, I want to be able to hold the tablet without having phantom presses and swipes the whole time, especially with all the new gestures iOS 11 ads.

Apropos iOS 11, I find the sound output switching a clear step back in the beta. Before it was a swipe up and a press to change from external bluetooth to internal iPad speakers (maybe another swipe if you had the wrong CC page open). Now it is a finicky swipe, a long press, another press and then the final selection press.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
e: nm

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 6, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Decius posted:

I find the 9.7 bezels already borderline small, I want to be able to hold the tablet without having phantom presses and swipes the whole time, especially with all the new gestures iOS 11 ads.

Apropos iOS 11, I find the sound output switching a clear step back in the beta. Before it was a swipe up and a press to change from external bluetooth to internal iPad speakers (maybe another swipe if you had the wrong CC page open). Now it is a finicky swipe, a long press, another press and then the final selection press.

I'm being totally serious when I say that you should file a bug report or something with it. If you think it's a bad thing, let them know. Offer an idea. It's early enough in the game they could change it based on feedback.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Decius posted:

I cannot think of a time I've ever had a phantom press or swipe from the bezels being too small. I hold my iPad with my thumb kinda on the screen too. How often does this happen for you?

The only time I get phantom touches is when I'm using the pencil and am moving my hand around all over the screen, then sometimes I get a little mark on a drawing app. But even that is fairly rare.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm being totally serious when I say that you should file a bug report or something with it. If you think it's a bad thing, let them know. Offer an idea. It's early enough in the game they could change it based on feedback.

Seconding this. For anyone who hasn't used an early beta before, they often make noticeable UI changes, I'm assuming some of it is at least partially informed by feedback.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was surprised last year at some of the changes made in the beta.

Decius posted:

Apple figured out how to avoid phantom presses back on the thinner iPad Mini 2 bezels. Whatever method they used was implemented with the huge trackpads starting with the 12 inch MacBook and I guess now to the new iPad.

I don't know what wizardry they're using, but it works.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I just sold my old big pro and pre-ordered the new big one with 256gb. I can't wait. I'm thinking they are going to wait another year and a half before refreshing this one so it's nice to get in the ground floor. I actually use the pencil so I will notice the difference with the new screen. Worth it.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
How much did you get for your old big pro

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The 32Gb entry is good, but the next tier being 8 times the capacity is a bit :what:

I guess there's 0 chance of me running out of space with the higher capacity.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Yeast posted:

The 32Gb entry is good, but the next tier being 8 times the capacity is a bit :what:

It's 64 gig as an entry now...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

LionArcher posted:

It's 64 gig as an entry now...

Oh! my mistake. Cheers :)

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

bobfather posted:

This is really silly. Consumers won't notice a difference between the color gamut or refresh rate when looking at cat videos. And $329 for a 32gb iPad that is on par with the iPad Air 2 is more than fair, considering the Air 2 debuted at $499 for a 16GB device a few years ago.

On par except for the, you guessed it, laminated display. I agree 120Hz refresh rate and TrueTone isn't something that consumers need, but it's the lack of a laminated display and the case design (smaller bezels) that I find are insulting to limit to the Pro lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Yeast posted:

At work we always talk about just buying the highest capacity iOS device because you'll regret it later. It's an incremental increase in cost and your only chance to do so is when you buy it. I asked someone to talk me into the 512 for the 10.5" and the comparison was with my current Air2... At the time the Air2 was released they had just doubled the storage from the previous generation. I never thought it'd be filled when I got it. Over the 30 months I've had it, I've constantly hit the size limit and have 6 GB free now.

I expect in the next 3 years that I'd keep the 10.5 512GB will seem the same way.