Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's like buying a band t-shirt at their concert and wearing it at said concert. It only annoys a select few people.

If you bought it there that's fine. If you arrived in their own shirt we have a problem. :colbert:

If you are performing in your own merchandise and it's not the end of the tour where you're out of clean shirts then you also look stupid, unless you're in Iron Maiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Yesterday I asked a customer to donate 5 cents and he replied, "sure, as long as it's not going to ORANGE FOOLIUS!"

1) Stop. You're not on SNL and you sound like an idiot child

2) Why the gently caress would a supermarket be SOLICITING DONATIONS FOR THE PRESIDENT?

3) gently caress my job for making me do this in the first place

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Nettles Coterie posted:

3) gently caress my job for making me do this in the first place

I hate them for making you do this too. I always feel like I'm being judged as if I'm saying "I loving hate babies" when I say no thanks to the "would you like to add 1 dollar more for the march of dimes" at publix when in reality I doubt the cashier cares at all.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I know this has been bitched about before, but I need to vent a little.
People who touch you anywhere on your body without asking first (and not in the accidental way).
My best friend has quite a few tattoos, and will constantly have people come up and just poke/caress one of her pieces and then start asking about it. She doesn't know you, don't touch her!
The one that made me think of this, though, is sunburns. I got a pretty nasty sunburn on my arm yesterday, and some random older lady GRABBED my arm, poked it, and then just said "Ooh, got a little too much sun, eh?" NO poo poo. Now unhand me. You're being a weirdo, and that loving hurts.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hate them for making you do this too. I always feel like I'm being judged as if I'm saying "I loving hate babies" when I say no thanks to the "would you like to add 1 dollar more for the march of dimes" at publix when in reality I doubt the cashier cares at all.

We really don't care if you say no. What we hate is when people feel like they need to make stupid jokes, or say poo poo like "I only donate to ANIMAL causes. People can help themselves!" :jerkbag: or feel like they have to justify their refusal like "I have other charities I give to! I donate all the time! Here, let me list off every single cause I've ever given to so you don't think I'm a bad person." Please, just say no thanks and move on.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I like to say "not today, thanks". In my mind it makes me feel slightly less guilty somehow. Like, maybe I already donated yesterday, or I'm waiting for payday or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Donation? Nonation.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Dontnation

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People who stick flyers or ads on my car windshield. I live in Chicago, where it's reasonable to be paranoid that someone is giving you a parking ticket at any time for any esoteric reason, so I always have a mini heart attack when I see my car has something on the windshield, only to find that it's someone advertising a Latin dance club or mattress business or whatever. Or the one time when it was a picture of an aborted fetus.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

oldpainless posted:

Donation? Nonation.

Damnation! No donation, no salvation!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Ads and movies that animate animal or baby faces to look like they're saying words it's freaky as gently caress and I hate it

The baby in the car you're pretending is singing Proud Mary is not cute it makes me want to die please stop I will not buy that car from that scary baby

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

teenytinymouse posted:

Ads and movies that animate animal or baby faces to look like they're saying words it's freaky as gently caress and I hate it

The baby in the car you're pretending is singing Proud Mary is not cute it makes me want to die please stop I will not buy that car from that scary baby

agreed here.

Any car commercial kinda makes me wonder... that's such a rare purchase and typically the buyer knows what kind of car they want or is going to ask friends/family/the dealership. I guess it still keeps people aware of the specific brand, like typically you're going to choose a Toyota over Some Make I've Never Heard Of even if the Toyota doesn't excite you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Any car commercial kinda makes me wonder... that's such a rare purchase and typically the buyer knows what kind of car they want or is going to ask friends/family/the dealership. I guess it still keeps people aware of the specific brand, like typically you're going to choose a Toyota over Some Make I've Never Heard Of even if the Toyota doesn't excite you.

Car commercials are there to keep you loyal and let you know that there's a newer better version of your car. The goal is to create a customer who will buy one brand for their entire life, it's less about driving one time sales.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

People who stick flyers or ads on my car windshield. I live in Chicago, where it's reasonable to be paranoid that someone is giving you a parking ticket at any time for any esoteric reason, so I always have a mini heart attack when I see my car has something on the windshield, only to find that it's someone advertising a Latin dance club or mattress business or whatever. Or the one time when it was a picture of an aborted fetus.

I'm not in an area where this is a really frequent problem and I only have to deal with it at certain times of the year, but I've found that putting a piece of paper under your wiper blade yourself when you park keeps people from adding more.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
Any person that says "I'm not racist but *insert super racist comment*"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

oldpainless posted:

Donation? Nonation.

More like oldcharityless.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

see also:

-I'm not sexist, but
-I'm not homophobic, but
-I'm not transphobic, but

Always followed by something really reprehensible. It's like "Nice Guys" who go out of their way to say how nice they are. Naw, you're not. People who are actually nice/not racist/not ____phobic don't gotta say it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hate mindless chatter as much as the next guy, but when I go to loving Costco, it is too much to ask for the cashier to actually say Hi to me, rather than take my card, start scanning poo poo, and argue with the bagger/stacker/helper about who the best Batman was?

I at least get some vague attempt of "I acknowledge your existence" from loving Fry's or Walmart.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

How long could a "Keven Conroy, obviously," conversation possibly take?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sociopastry posted:

see also:

-I'm not sexist, but
-I'm not homophobic, but
-I'm not transphobic, but

Always followed by something really reprehensible. It's like "Nice Guys" who go out of their way to say how nice they are. Naw, you're not. People who are actually nice/not racist/not ____phobic don't gotta say it.

I'm not racist, but this is a good post and I agree with it.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
Driving Pet Peeve:

Driving on the highway in my lovely sedan when Mr. brodozer comes along and shines his high super bright LED spotlights at me from behind

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I think it's a law or something that trucks above a certain size have to come from the factory with the headlights aimed anywhere but the road.

Also fog lights on cars need to be made illegal because 98% of people just leave them running all the god drat time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
LED headlights are a loving hazard. Sure, whoever has them can see better, but everyone else gets blinded.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

LED headlights are a loving hazard. Sure, whoever has them can see better, but everyone else gets blinded.

It's terrifying as a pedestrian

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

It's like the epidemic of shitily installed xenons all over again. Also I'm pretty sure they don't allow anyone to see better, it's just that the blue-white light is perceived as brighter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a pedestrian I carry a 1,000 lumen flashlight myself so I can be seen by the speeding drivers

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let me tell you about biking in a city where I regularly cannot loving see.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

TV shows with too-long and/or too obnoxious intro themes. House of Cards, Oz, etc fall into the "way too long" category. The Shield falls into the way too obnoxious one, I always have to race for the remote to both turn down the weird screaming and the other remote to fast forward/skip to the next episode thing as fast as possible. What the gently caress even is that song?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

See also: shows with flashing lights in the intro

thanks, assholes, I was gonna watch your show but your stupid intro gives me an immediate migraine.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Key and Peele has a lot of dud sketches (in my opinion) but hidden in there are sketches that are pure gold, probably the funniest ones I have ever seen. I never know when their coming so I watch a lot of comedy sketches I don't like waiting for the funny ones.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Key and Peele has a lot of dud sketches (in my opinion) but hidden in there are sketches that are pure gold, probably the funniest ones I have ever seen. I never know when their coming so I watch a lot of comedy sketches I don't like waiting for the funny ones.

To me Key and Peele are like SNL. Occasionally funny, but almost all pandering poo poo. I guess this is more suited for the unpopular opinions thread but SNL hasn't been consistently good since Norm Macdonald was on it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TV shows with too-long and/or too obnoxious intro themes. House of Cards, Oz, etc fall into the "way too long" category. The Shield falls into the way too obnoxious one, I always have to race for the remote to both turn down the weird screaming and the other remote to fast forward/skip to the next episode thing as fast as possible. What the gently caress even is that song?

And tv shows where the full recap/intro is preserved on netflix.

I'm watching Shameless on netflix and by god I do not need a minutes-long recap followed by opening credits before every episode in this format.

Also since I'm not finished I can't comment on the current situation, but unless Fiona changes radically she's a gross, hypocritical shithead and by far my least favourite character on this show. It irks me whenever she's shown in a good light.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My cubicle is situated next to a few open conference tables where people talk loudly and use squeaky markers and chairs all day. The cubicles around me get loud too. That is not my peeve.

My peeve is that all this noise would be way easier to tune out of the coworker sitting next to me didn't constantly complain about it, muttering "Ugh" and "Oh my God, shut up" and occasionally leaning over to ask me if I'm hearing it too (Well I am now, Linda!).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Parasol Prophet posted:

My cubicle is situated next to a few open conference tables where people talk loudly and use squeaky markers and chairs all day. The cubicles around me get loud too. That is not my peeve.

My peeve is that all this noise would be way easier to tune out of the coworker sitting next to me didn't constantly complain about it, muttering "Ugh" and "Oh my God, shut up" and occasionally leaning over to ask me if I'm hearing it too (Well I am now, Linda!).

It would definitely be my peeve. Open plan offices are a scourge that must be eliminated from all fields. Nobody likes them except the people who don't have to work in them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This is all sketch comedy except for the ones that are always bad. Chappelle's Show is probably the most consistent good one.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I've got a new upstairs neighbour in my building and the dude has a real hard time figuring out what floor he's on. It's been a week and just about every day I hear him at my door trying to unlock it with his keys until I tell him he's got the wrong floor. Yesterday he did it twice! He seems like a harmless space-case and is always very apologetic but the longer this goes on the more I'm convinced that he's just waiting for the day I accidentally leave my door unlocked so he can swipe my TV or something.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Breaking Bad's intro was perfect in this regard. Title of show, takes 10 seconds, back to show. Lost, too.

You would think with Netflix and binge watching being so popular, creators would realize this, but I guess they like having one less minute of show to write every episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even with shorter intros TV shows are just way shorter now. I saw an old episode of ER from like 1994 and the running time was 53 minutes. That's 10 minutes longer than Lost.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

netflix will let you skip the intro/recaps for some shows!

Hardcordion posted:

I've got a new upstairs neighbour in my building and the dude has a real hard time figuring out what floor he's on. It's been a week and just about every day I hear him at my door trying to unlock it with his keys until I tell him he's got the wrong floor. Yesterday he did it twice! He seems like a harmless space-case and is always very apologetic but the longer this goes on the more I'm convinced that he's just waiting for the day I accidentally leave my door unlocked so he can swipe my TV or something.

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Even with shorter intros TV shows are just way shorter now. I saw an old episode of ER from like 1994 and the running time was 53 minutes. That's 10 minutes longer than Lost.

That's due to advertisements. I don't know what it's up to these days, but in 1999, it was 18 minutes of advertisements per hour.