Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Pokken is good but that game's scene died within months. Maybe being on something besides noted dead system Wii U will help it.

That and not having to lug around two switches and then set those up over lan play will help. The switch + dock is pretty portable, thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Ventana posted:

FYI Pokemon releasing a game on an older console when a new console is on the horizon/already out is nothing new.

Pokemon Crystal came out ~4 months before the GBA came out in Japan, and came out 1 month after the GBA did in america.

Pokemon Emerald came out 2 months before the DS did in japan, and came out 6 months after the DS came out in america.

Pokemon Black and White 2 came out a year after the 3DS came out, months after the 3DS XL had already been released in non-JP countries.

They've been doing this for a while, so let's not read too much into it please.

Notably though, those were all compatible with the succeeding console.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, and most of the players in it are twenty somethings with jobs or who can afford to travel long distances. Compare that to the mainline Pokemon trailers that are full of kids and focus on them interacting in their community. You're focusing on the wrong thing from my statement.

Yes because millenials can afford doing that. Also he does fight a child.

I want to be a Nintendo commercial millenials instead of a real one.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It looks like NINTENDO has done their best to sweep a little ISSUE under the rug... WORKED real hard to keep some of us QUIET!

NINTEnDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM STILL HERE AND I DEMAND super MARIO WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Whatever I guess. I'd rather them do a low effort Ultra-Moon/Stars for 3DS if it allows to them to come out with a proper Switch game sooner. With the Switch selling as many as they can produce for the foreseeable future and 3ds still chugging along, I get it. As someone else said though, if big first party development resources are spent on the 3DS well into 2018 then I think it's a huge mistake.

Well Game Freak isn't a first-party studio, and really for the past half-decade or so they've been acting more and more independent to the point their non-Pokemon titles started coming out on every system but Nintendo ones. Remember the elephant game? REMEMBER THE ELEPHANT?!

So Game Freak will keep on doing whatever they want to do.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yes because millenials can afford doing that. Also he does fight a child.

I want to be a Nintendo commercial millenials instead of a real one.

A child he meets and invites to the game, not one who has the system already. An important distinction.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Disappointing but predictable

Also why is it just Gold and Silver, what about Crystal

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

How does pokken control anyways? Is it a fight stick kind of game or does it control normally. I greatly enjoy arms but could never get into fighting games.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

El Burbo posted:

Hey but at least your player has a switch

Edit: nevermind I'm dumb

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 6, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

NINTEnDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM STILL HERE AND I DEMAND super MARIO WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please be calm Tim, they are upgrading it so that you may, say, swing your arms, from side to side?!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Wait...wait wait wait. What if the Switch at a player's house is used to trade Pokémon between 3DS and a Switch Pokémon game? That's typically the only reason you ever see a Nintendo console shown in Pokémon game is when it's used for trading

Your player always has the latest home console in their room...

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The n3ds can't even run the new Pokemon at consistent 30 fps, short of a new affordable child ds being made I don't know where the next generation of Pokemon will go. Plus the switch won't be expensive forever and it's built stronger than it looks, so Pokemon would probably come to it in a year unless they're going to run the 3ds forever?

Read my above post about pokemon release dates.

Diamond and Pearl came out ~2 years after the DS came out. X/Y came out ~ 2 years after the 3DS came out.

They are getting the last bit out of the 3DS that they can at the end of it's lifespan, and will probably move to switch in about 2 years. I'd like a port as much as the next person, but they've been doing this for a while with seemingly no intentions to stop.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Notably though, those were all compatible with the succeeding console.

Eh, true but I don't think that's the large reason for their decisions. It wasn't gamefreaks fault switch can't play 3DS games and gen 7 was made for 3DS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

How does pokken control anyways? Is it a fight stick kind of game or does it control normally. I greatly enjoy arms but could never get into fighting games.

It's made to be accessible like Smash and Arms. There's an incredibly in depth tutorial to master each character. It's definitely worth checking out if you liked Arms.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well Game Freak isn't a first-party studio, and really for the past half-decade or so they've been acting more and more independent to the point their non-Pokemon titles started coming out on every system but Nintendo ones. Remember the elephant game? REMEMBER THE ELEPHANT?!

So Game Freak will keep on doing whatever they want to do.

Wait tembo was game freak? Mind blown

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Wait...wait wait wait. What if the Switch at a player's house is used to trade Pokémon between 3DS and a Switch Pokémon game? That's typically the only reason you ever see a Nintendo console shown in Pokémon game is when it's used for trading

What? No. The kid just has a switch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

El Burbo posted:

Your player always has the latest home console in their room...

Even in rereleases? Dang nevermind then

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also the UI in Sun/Moon is complete rear end and feels like it was done to make it easier to port to a system without a second screen. Compare the UI in gen 7 to gen 6 and there's really no excuse for it if they're not planning SOME kind of Switch release.

There's also no reason we can't have Ultra Sun/Moon on both systems.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's made to be accessible like Smash and Arms. There's an incredibly in depth tutorial to master each character. It's definitely worth checking out if you liked Arms.

I'll give it a shot then most likely

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for the Switch would be, honestly, a very bad idea. The thing is brand new, it's priced like a higher end machine, and these are sequels to games whose fanbases are already invested in the 3DS or the primary market for the 3DS.

There is no practical reason to put it on the Switch that isn't pleasing fanboys with skewed priorities.

saving this for later

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Switch momentum gone:

quote:

"That's it for today"?

I tend not to swear but this is loving unacceptable.

Nintendo is letting all the momentum of the Switch just die instantly while The Pokemon Company laughs in their face.

Their last chance was Pokemon Stars and they blew it. Game over.

They actually just cancelled Splatoon 2 upon hearing the news. As a result Japanese fans are rioting in the streets.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Wait tembo was game freak? Mind blown

Yeah, they also have an early access game on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/454410/GIGA_WRECKER/

I mean it's out of it now, but still.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
But have we been stabbed in the back?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I genuinely like this trend of releasing deluxe versions of Wii U best hits on Switch. There's a lot of games I haven't had the time to check out on this system.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
so they might actually have Super Mario Odyssey go up against Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, huh

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Anybody who expected an 8 min direct to announce a new mainline pokemon game on a new console is a moron

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

What? No. The kid just has a switch.

This thread told me children aren't allowed to own or touch switches :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://twitter.com/JoeyPockett/status/872100407979454465
I know it's E3 season and everyone and their dog is faking leaks but I've seen a few people post variations on this now. Seems like it was on the press site for a few minutes before getting removed so either someone hosed up or they're waiting to do the Switch announcement in front of a larger audience.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

jyrque posted:

I genuinely like this trend of releasing deluxe versions of Wii U best hits on Switch. There's a lot of games I haven't had the time to check out on this system.

I want to play Bayonetta 2 so badly

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Switch momentum gone:

They actually just cancelled Splatoon 2 upon hearing the news. As a result Japanese fans are rioting in the streets.

How'd I know this was a NeoGAF post before even checking the link? Also final nail of what? Did I miss something and the Switch was on it's death bed besides selling out every restock?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for the Switch would be, honestly, a very bad idea. The thing is brand new, it's priced like a higher end machine, and these are sequels to games whose fanbases are already invested in the 3DS or the primary market for the 3DS.

There is no practical reason to put it on the Switch that isn't pleasing fanboys with skewed priorities.

tbh that sounds perfect for the Switch.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, they also have an early access game on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/454410/GIGA_WRECKER/

I mean it's out of it now, but still.

Game Freak I take it has enough staff to do small pet projects now besides pokemon?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

VideoGames posted:

But you also said this:

;)

But... .they are :)

We are seeing stock sell throughs online to more scalpers due to limited supply still. Overall sales numbers shows a steep decline from April to May (Also due in part to limited supply) but during the summer, I still expect to see very flat line sales through the end of the year, and the subsequent overstock and price drop to compensate by the fall (October ish) Similar to what happened with the Gamecube and Wii U.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

so they might actually have Super Mario Odyssey go up against Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, huh

3ds and switch don't really compete though as other posters have said, at least for now.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

jyrque posted:

It's a good idea that helps pad out the library while developers get on board to make new stuff. Also things like Mario Kart with fairly large new features (an Actually Good Battle Mode) are very good.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Utnayan posted:

We are seeing stock sell throughs online to more scalpers due to limited supply still. Overall sales numbers shows a steep decline from April to May (Also due in part to limited supply) but during the summer, I still expect to see very flat line sales through the end of the year, and the subsequent overstock and price drop to compensate by the fall (October ish) Similar to what happened with the Gamecube and Wii U.

Ah yes, literally every unit is owned by a scalper, got it

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Even in rereleases? Dang nevermind then

The only close comparison is Black and White 2, which came out ~5 months before the Wii U and still only had the Wii in the players room. Every other re-release has been farther away from the latest console to not matter.

It's probably just the weirdness in that the switch is both "the next console that we're purposely avoiding a release on for now" and also "the next main console which we have to reference in the intro kids room".

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Game Freak I take it has enough staff to do small pet projects now besides pokemon?

They've been doing side-projects in-between pokemon for a while. Drill dozer, HarmoKnight, Tembo, and now Giga Wrecker.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Utnayan posted:

Well good thing you're less Nostradamus and more his retarded cousin Greg

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

jyrque posted:

I have seen some people get legit upset thinking they feel their Wii U console and games investment was invalidated by these Deluxe versions of games and wanting to know why stuff like Battle Mode couldn't have been DLC for the Wii U versions.

And like, you certainly have a point there, stuff like Battle Mode for Mario Kart 8 could have been released as free DLC the same time Mario Kart 8 Deluxe came out on the Switch. But also like, why would they do that? Then you'd have people saying there's no real reason to pick up Deluxe at that point.

I feel like if you purchased a Wii U by the early months of 2014 that you knew what you were getting into by then. Like I feel around 2014 was when we first started having discussions here about how the next Nintendo system could probably get a port MK8 early in the life-cycle in order to keep momentum going.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Chairman Wao posted:

tbh that sounds perfect for the Switch.

I don't understand what you're saying at all. Releasing it on the Switch would hurt its own sales potential. I laid out why it's coming to the 3DS. Is this you trying to be clever about the "dick move" comment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Anybody who expected an 8 min direct to announce a new mainline pokemon game on a new console is a moron

Did anyone think this? I thought people were speculating a Sun/Moon port or Stars.

• Locked thread