Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I have a friend that works for the Department of Denfense in one of the CENTCOM countries. They just finished vacation and today is their first day back. I bet it's crisis mode right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Space Gopher posted:

Why, just look how well that model has worked out for Turkey!

Worked great until the theocrat took over.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lote posted:

Wow. I don't think he knows we have military bases in Qatar

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/872095802428207105

Kleptocracy!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

androo posted:

I'd love to see what it is you're actually referring to, if you have time to dig anything up. I don't remember ever seeing this.

dude keeps constantly parroting ~the leaks are the real crime~ and then when called out on it going "oh but yes they're justified" even though you will literally never, ever see him criticize a leak to the press on any non-russia subject

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, it's fascinating to watch the Trumps' total inability to hide all their crimin' race as hard as it can with the desire of the GOP to ignore any and all crimin'.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Glazier posted:

Worked great until the theocrat took over.

there was that minor little genocide and the minor constant military coups

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Update : I am currently 24 hours into Operation: Call Trump an Inbred Dogfucker on Twitter.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

dude keeps constantly parroting ~the leaks are the real crime~ and then when called out on it going "oh but yes they're justified" even though you will literally never, ever see him criticize a leak to the press on any non-russia subject

Yeah, he and his organization are heavily tied if not being funded by the Kremlin. I'm sure the only reason he turned on this leaker is because she wouldn't move to Russia.

[quote="“evilweasel”" post="“473093978”"]
there was that minor little genocide and the minor constant military coups
[/quote]

Still better than Trump

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I saw you quote that the other day. It was extremely clear to everyone he was not saying the leaks were immoral but were literally illegal in the US, and was surprised that the beltway establishment was not cracking down harder on them as a result. This was very obvious, and I believe he also clarified, which goes back to my original point about willful misinterpretation.

e: Intercept is a net positive force, unless your approach to left politics is you get mad about social issues and the ugly aesthetics of inequality but are otherwise pretty attached to the order of things, and therefore find them vaguely threatening maybe? I can't quite wrap my mind around the hate for them, still </derail>

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 6, 2017

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Update : I am currently 24 hours into Operation: Call Trump an Inbred Dogfucker on Twitter.

Ghost Boned by the Digital Embodiment of The Dog loving POTUS by Hugo Nominated Author Chuck Tingle

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Night10194 posted:

You know, it's fascinating to watch the Trumps' total inability to hide all their crimin' race as hard as it can with the desire of the GOP to ignore any and all crimin'.

I am completely unable to parse this sentence and I am scared that Trump's stupidity is somehow memetically infectious.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You know how Trump calling his opponent "Crooked Hillary" was surprisingly effective even if it's on the same level as a 3rd grade school yard insult.

Leaky Trump works on so many different levels.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/avbelow/status/872060039871303680

Quite a few WWDC scholarship winners have had their previously approved visas pulled just before departing their home country.

This seems non-random and petty.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"A lovely Reporter" posted:

Quite frankly I think the Intercept did this on purpose. They're allied with Assange, and their actions here would require such a long and specific chain of errors that it makes for sense for it to be intentional.

Like most of wikileaks' twitter feed in the last day was making GBS threads on them over revealing sources.

I see much of this thread basically agrees with Louise Mensch and John Schindler about the Intercept being a Russian front but they're not exactly overtly allied with Assange these days.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

I feel like this was overlooked because uuuuh that seems real lovely. :catstare:

Guess someone told 'em to butter up Israel too?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

The IC is a much greater threat to my rights than Russia is. The more we know about what they are doing, the better.

Trump is the greatest actual threat to your rights you've ever faced. Russia hustled to put him in power and the IC is at the vanguard of resisting him. Remove head from anus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

What are you talking about man?

How is the concept of protection of information and bureaucratic rules which enable large organizations to function efficiently so foreign?

Like if you had a novel invention or idea is it cool for me to just steal it from someone close to you and assume you aren't harmed?

It's not a bad concept. It's just not inherently a good concept either. It all depends how it's used.
Since you bring up copyright, sure, same thing. Copyright is generally a good idea but is subject to abuses too.

Classification is the same way. It's not a *bad* idea but it's not a holy blessing either.

I mean, hell, COINTELPRO was classified.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pollyanna posted:

I am completely unable to parse this sentence and I am scared that Trump's stupidity is somehow memetically infectious.

I'm saying the only thing stopping them from being caught hilariously easily for all the crimes they don't even bother to cover up is that the GOP is desperately, desperately trying to pretend they don't exist. And that meanwhile the Trumps (both the sons and father) are very happy to get out on TV and go 'Boy howdy, look at all this crime we do.'

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JeffersonClay posted:

Trump is the greatest actual threat to your rights you've ever faced. Russia hustled to put him in power and the IC is at the vanguard of resisting him. Remove head from anus.

I'm a mid 30s white dude. Trump is not coming after me. But the IC people leaking poo poo about Trump are cool and good. I know the IC isn't a monolithic thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

androo posted:

Yeah, I saw you quote that the other day. It was extremely clear to everyone he was not saying the leaks were immoral but were literally illegal in the US, and was surprised that the beltway establishment was not cracking down harder on them as a result. This was very obvious, and I believe he also clarified, which goes back to my original point about willful misinterpretation.

a nonsense idea considering that the entire republican party has coalesced around the idea that "the leaks are the real crime" and he was going but why is there not enough attention that the leaks are the real crime!?!?!?!?! there couldn't be more attention on it unless democrats also agreed that the leaks are the real crime

it wasn't willful misinterpretation, it was correct interpretation he backed down from but he's done before, merely days before that one

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/868173530923495424

:qq: why are the democrats being in favor of these dangerous dangerous nsa leaks :qq:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

theflyingorc posted:

I could honestly probably come up with 20, but I like "Vice President Bernie Sanders" because it's the simplest way I can think of to have actually had a united left. BUT OH WELL

Yeah, nominate someone who should be a powerful force in the Senate to be put in a powerless position where all he's good for is being a tiebreaking vote and waiting for the president to die.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Just to clarify, Trump is actively encouraging Saudi aggression towards Qatar, a US ally and home to a US airbase.

Over Twitter.

And with no formal statement on the situation by the White House.

This is insane, right?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Just to clarify, Trump is actively encouraging Saudi aggression towards Qatar, a US ally and home to a US airbase.

Over Twitter.

And with no formal statement on the situation by the White House.

This is insane, right?

American history on this entire period is just going to be a massive picture of someone screaming.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/872106242113720320

obvious coverup incoming

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

I'm a mid 30s white dude. Trump is not coming after me.

1). Gross
2). Unless you're defining rights in some brain dead libertarian way, Trump is absolutely a threat to your right to live in a clean environment, a representative democracy, and a world at peace.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

American history on this entire period is just going to be a massive picture of someone screaming.

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream?lang=en

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Star Man posted:

Yeah, nominate someone who should be a powerful force in the Senate to be put in a powerless position where all he's good for is being a tiebreaking vote and waiting for the president to die.

In exchange for the presidency, yes

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

evilweasel posted:

a nonsense idea considering that the entire republican party has coalesced around the idea that "the leaks are the real crime" and he was going but why is there not enough attention that the leaks are the real crime!?!?!?!?! there couldn't be more attention on it unless democrats also agreed that the leaks are the real crime

it wasn't willful misinterpretation, it was correct interpretation he backed down from but he's done before, merely days before that one

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/868173530923495424

:qq: why are the democrats being in favor of these dangerous dangerous nsa leaks :qq:

It's quite likely that leaks becoming a "thing" in the beltway will come and bite Dems in the rear end once they regain power, though? That seems pretty dangerous to me, though I still think it's the right move at the moment. It's certainly fascinating.

It seems your issue with Greenwald is that his phrasing isn't just straight Democrat propaganda, which would be pretty silly for an independent journalist anyway, right? I might criticize a Trump surrogate for these slights but it just seems reasonable, especially assuming everyone knows his principles.

:f5:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

androo posted:

It's quite likely that leaks becoming a "thing" in the beltway will come and bite Dems in the rear end once they regain power, though?

not unless you think that Snowden bit Obama in the rear end

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/872107056026857473

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boon posted:

The public doesn't have an absolute right to all information of the government at any time

it should.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

How could he have anyone from watergate, wouldn't they be ancient/retired/passed away?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JeffersonClay posted:

1). Gross
2). Unless you're defining rights in some brain dead libertarian way, Trump is absolutely a threat to your right to live in a clean environment, a representative democracy, and a world at peace.

Joe Manchin is a clear and present danger to McMagic, but he doesn't give a gently caress about Trump

Is Joe Manchin an enemy of Rutgers Athletics or something?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JeffersonClay posted:

1). Gross

Yes. He's a threat. So are domestic spying and over-classification. FYI the people who are leaking this stuff are also part of the IC...

The Glumslinger posted:

Joe Manchin is a clear and present danger to McMagic, but he doesn't give a gently caress about Trump

I assure you, I give a gently caress about Trump.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hanales posted:

How could he have anyone from watergate, wouldn't they be ancient/retired/passed away?

They'd be about Hillary's age, she worked on the investigation committee

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

no, that's real stupid

im not going as far as boon, and there's lots of things kept secret that shouldn't be, but perfectly open information would do nothing but undermine our interests as a country and it's insane to think otherwise

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

The Glumslinger posted:

Manchin correctly identified Flip Jace as being good and Narset as bad. This drove mcmagic up the wall.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

hanales posted:

BAH GAWD THAT'S HILLARY'S MUSIC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

no, that's real stupid

im not going as far as boon, and there's lots of things kept secret that shouldn't be, but perfectly open information would do nothing but undermine our interests as a country and it's insane to think otherwise

unless it's something like d day we should know.

• Locked thread