Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I found a place nearby that was selling boxes of Masters sets for sub-$200 CAD. As far as I know that's an insane steal, but what should I do with it? These things appreciate pretty well, right? Should I hold onto the box for a couple years and turn a profit?

Draft it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Snacksmaniac posted:

The front half of therapy seems ok for a reprint. The flashback is a bit strong.

The flashback is entirely the point of the card. You can trade a creature + therapy for a card in their hand (1 for 2) and if you're good and hit on the front side, it's a 2 for 2.

Honestly it's probably not even very powerful most of the time in standard where sacrificing a creature probably means a real card w/ real text on it vs a pyro token

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 6, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

xmage users:
1) what server should I use?
2) how do I add a stop on the fly, like I do on MODO when I want to cast something in opponents upkeep/draw or something and don't have a full-time stop set?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bristling Hydra would be one of the best 2-3 cards in standard if Marvel didn't exist.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Rip all those that wanted to play living end but didn't buy into yet. Playable time spiral rares being cheap never makes sense these days.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Eh. If you miss then you at least know that they don't have the card you didn't want them to have. That's not nothing, even if you obviously didn't want to pay B and a card for it.

The flip experience is also a thing, if you're bad and don't play it and your opponent keeps hitting it's also feelbads. As far as I'm aware WotC doesn't want you to know you're bad at magic if at all possible.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I think Wizards wants to avoid the situation where they print a good card in a pre-constructed deck and then grinders and grogs scoops all of those up and the newer players, for whom these decks are ostensibly designed, can't acquire them. With the exception of Commander, Wizards has been deliberately designing pre-cons and the like to be low-power so that stock is readily available for each deck. They don't want another situation like with C13 where all of the decks with True-Name Nemesis got bought out super-quick. And even then I don't think they've had a situation like that since, so they're learning a little bit.

Yeah it's almost like a company that's geared up to make money isn't interested in making money by printing enough of the things people want. MacDonalds should start limiting the amount of Big Macs they sell cos they don't sell enough Fillet'o'fish meals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Rip all those that wanted to play living end but didn't buy into yet. Playable time spiral rares being cheap never makes sense these days.

I've been playing Dredge the last few weeks at the LGS and the Living End/Dredge matchup is a hoot and a half.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

black potus posted:

As far as I'm aware WotC doesn't want you to know you're bad at magic if at all possible.

This 1000x

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

ShaneB posted:

xmage users:
2) how do I add a stop on the fly, like I do on MODO when I want to cast something in opponents upkeep/draw or something and don't have a full-time stop set?

German server? xmage.de is pretty busy.

I'm not sure about on the fly stops. I have next end step/main phase and upkeep set to go to the next one not MY next one in preferences. That works fine. F3 cancels whichever you have selected if you change your mind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AceClown posted:

Yeah it's almost like a company that's geared up to make money isn't interested in making money by printing enough of the things people want. MacDonalds should start limiting the amount of Big Macs they sell cos they don't sell enough Fillet'o'fish meals.

I mean yeah this has been a valid complaint about Wizards for quite some time but there are more important fronts on which this battle needs to be fought than pre-constructed decks.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

C-Euro posted:

I mean yeah this has been a valid complaint about Wizards for quite some time but there are more important fronts on which this battle needs to be fought than pre-constructed decks.

I think that's probably the #1 area that should be targeted. You want people who are new to show up to FNM and have a good time? Make a precon that actually can win out of the box. The sacrifice deck from BFZ was actually really good.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think that's probably the #1 area that should be targeted. You want people who are new to show up to FNM and have a good time? Make a precon that actually can win out of the box. The sacrifice deck from BFZ was actually really good.

No because then people will buy them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Cleared out my storage unit today and found a box of old Nintendo Powers and other magazines, going through it now but came across this from the 5th Dawn Fat Pack

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

bigperm posted:

No because then people will buy them.

Truly the bleakest of timelines for any manufacturer and/or retailer

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

"Magic Online is celebrating its fifteen-year anniversary!"

holy loving poo poo i can't believe that ... thing.... is a result of 15 years of development

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hahaha the Mirrodin one too

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShaneB posted:

"Magic Online is celebrating its fifteen-year anniversary!"

holy loving poo poo i can't believe that ... thing.... is a result of 15 years of development

Are they going to do anything special?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Are they going to do anything special?

"Magic Online is celebrating its fifteen-year anniversary! Be sure to check out the Daily Magic Update tomorrow for Lee Sharpe’s article celebrating fifteen years of Magic Online, as well as details surrounding the anniversary-focused events."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'd be down with that, but I think some of the current setup is Wizards not always knowing which cards are going to be good, or not knowing just how good those cards will be.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

ShaneB posted:

xmage users:

1) xmage.de seems to be a little bit more reliable than woogerworks, but not by much.
2) You can click on the phases bar at the right side of the window to open up the "set my stops" interface quickly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

....It's like $3 more than it was yesterday.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Truly the bleakest of timelines for any manufacturer and/or retailer

artificial scarcity is both cool and good

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

"Magic Online is celebrating its fifteen-year anniversary! Be sure to check out the Daily Magic Update tomorrow for Lee Sharpe’s article celebrating fifteen years of Magic Online, as well as details surrounding the anniversary-focused events."

We should commemorate this by listing some of our favorite bugs

- the time the entire Judgment spoiler got leaked
- the time Fatespinner forced your opponent to time out
- the time Spirespine forced your opponent to time out
- the very long time where only people with 3 letter usernames could not watch replays
- the time Myr Superion could be cast with land and Wizards' solution to it was "submit a replay where it is cast with land and we'll ban that guy"
- the time when Jaddi Lifestrider crashed the game forced you to pick 99 cards from your opponent's deck and your sideboard and then timed you out once you failed despite working for years
- not technically a bug, but the time when they admitted that in order to get the archetypes to work they had to change every card with first strike and so forth

Elyv fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 6, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

We should commemorate this by listing some of our favorite bugs

- the time the entire Judgment spoiler got leaked
- the time Fatespinner forced your opponent to time out
- the time Spirespine forced your opponent to time out
- the very long time where only people with 3 letter usernames could not watch replays
- the time Myr Superion could be cast with land and Wizards' solution to it was "submit a replay where it is cast with land and we'll ban that guy"
- the time when Jaddi Lifestrider crashed the game despite working for years
- not technically a bug, but the time when they admitted that in order to get the archetypes to work they had to change every card with first strike and so forth

The time that Glorious End caused you to lose every turn after you cast it on the beta, I wrote out an extensive bug report explaining the circumstances under which this happens, and they did not fix it on live. Then SaffronOlive complained about it and they fixed it the same day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

....It's like $3 more than it was yesterday.

It was a 6-7 dollar card in march on low. I didn't even notice the bump in april and now copies are running out. Only 21 non foil copies left on tcgplayer. I have a feeling its not going to stay even 20 bucks for long.

That 15$ set of 3 is probably as good as its going to get for a while.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The time when gleemox, a card notable for saying "this card is banned" on it, was legal in multiple formats

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The time putting your opponent's triggered ability on the stack while controlling their turn with Mindslaver forced you to time out. For like year and a half, until Rich complained about it on the VSL

The time Waxmane Baku could tap any number of creatures without counters. LSV still won that game, then shamed his opponent into not abusing it for the rest of the match.

The time Brainstorm put cards back in some other order (possibly alphabetical???) than what you chose.

The time Ponder shuffled randomly regardless of if you wanted it to or not.

The time the MTGO shuffler almost always gave you the card that you scryed to the bottom on your first draw step.

The time you couldn't hold priority for your opponent while controlling them with Mindslaver.

The time holding priority for yourself worked... sometimes.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 6, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Blazing Torch not being able to damage foil creature cards

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Every time that a card has worked differently/ not worked when reprinted

That time everyone was supposed to get a Gideon avatar and got the walker instead

The time death and taxes got a pretty sweet card in conspiracy and it didnt get added to mood for over a year

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

from nothing came teeth

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The time that Memory's Journey was bugged in the 3x Innistrad flashback draft and their solution was to just remove it from packs, removing the most fun deck from the format.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

That time Guerilla Tactics' discard ability triggered, even if it wasn't in your hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

That time Guerilla Tactics' discard ability triggered, even if it wasn't in your hand.

This is the first one I haven't heard of yet.

....What?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Blazing Torch not being able to damage foil creature cards

this can't be real but please be real

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
That time WotC emergency banned splinter twin and summer bloom on a Friday night because MTGO beta testers leaked the fact it was banned in the program

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Just came across the Pro Tour Paris 1997 video.

Crazy how much the game has changed, people should poo poo their pants if magic was still played like that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That time promo relic seeker was bugged but normal relic seeker wasn't
That time they couldn't ban aether vial in mirrodin block constructed because it had an æ in it
That time where if snapcaster flashed back a zenith card, it would shuffle into your library but still show up in the exile zone, and your opponent would know when you drew it because it would disappear from exile

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

That time promo relic seeker was bugged but normal relic seeker wasn't

That time that Mirrodin Blinding Beam worked, but MM Blinding Beam didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

this can't be real but please be real

It's modo, of course it can be real

The time we found out that 11 costing colorless cards sort as black

The time they asked that one dude who posts in this thread to manually delete his unneeded decks one by one because they were taking up too much storage