Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

whydirt posted:

Manchin correctly identified Flip Jace as being good and Narset as bad. This drove mcmagic up the wall.

While you're bringing that up.... Manchin also is a piece of poo poo who supported Trump's removal from Paris. He's literally worse on climate than some republicans. He doesn't deserve any democratic votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Groovelord Neato posted:

unless it's something like d day we should know.

International diplomacy alone is something that requires a significant amount of discretion. You think the Iran deal would have had a chance of going through had it been out in the open from day one?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Update : I am currently 24 hours into Operation: Call Trump an Inbred Dogfucker on Twitter.

Thank you for doing the Lord's work.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I'm curious how these anti-MSM rants are still playing? I read a headline the other day (yesterday? time has become meaningless) that said that basically that was the Republicans' platform in 2018. It seems like that was a lot of what brought Trump into office, but I'm curious if it's become 'boy cries wolfish'.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Groovelord Neato posted:

There is information the government possesses that, if revealed, would compromise our sources and the sources of foreign allies. Any active intelligence resource should be protected, but there should time limits related to freedom of information. After a certain amount of time, everything the government has should become public knowledge.

Edit: What that time frame should be though, gently caress if I know.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

androo posted:

It's quite likely that leaks becoming a "thing" in the beltway will come and bite Dems in the rear end once they regain power, though? That seems pretty dangerous to me, though I still think it's the right move at the moment. It's certainly fascinating.

It seems your issue with Greenwald is that his phrasing isn't just straight Democrat propaganda, which would be pretty silly for an independent journalist anyway, right? I might criticize a Trump surrogate for these slights but it just seems reasonable, especially assuming everyone knows his principles.

my issue with greenwald is his russian apologism, like i said twice before.

you're going "everyone knows his principles" as a reason to ignore that he's violating those principles when previously he was all in favor of leaks and now he's suddenly all ~the leakers are the real criminals~ and ~hey im just asking questions here~, and you are busy pretending there's no such thing and then wondering why people criticize him for it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fishing with the fam posted:

There is information the government possesses that, if revealed, would compromise our sources and the sources of foreign allies. Any active intelligence resource should be protected, but there should time limits related to freedom of information. After a certain amount of time, everything the government has should become public knowledge.

Edit: What that time frame should be though, gently caress if I know.

This is generally true, documents are supposed to be declassified after 50 years or other similarly long periods.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Devos is again refusing to answer the question if schools would be allowed to discriminate based on LGBTQ or religious discrimination.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Let's face it Trump can tell the Saudis to straight up bomb a US base in Qatar and Tweet "our troops didn't receive training under Obama and so they were hit by bombs. SAD!" And nothing bad will happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

This is generally true, documents are supposed to be declassified after 50 years or other similarly long periods.

that's way too long.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Seems Hillary Clinton would be highly qualified to join Mueller's investigation. :getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's extremely great that our president is so obviously a lovely gangster that we're hiring guys who specialize in lovely-gangster busting.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/maddow/status/872110687849508865

Guess she survived the poisoning attempt after all. Good for her.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Piell posted:

Devos is again refusing to answer the question if schools would be allowed to discriminate based on LGBTQ or religious discrimination.
Do we really need her to say, "yes, they should be able to discriminate"? We already know she feels that way.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

You must make for a horrible friend and employee if you can't keep discretion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best subplot post election has been the barrage of 'RUSSIA DOESN'T MATTER NOTHING REALLY HAPPENED' being punctuated every 2 weeks by some new horrifying revelation about Russian interference or quid pro quo or Holy loving poo poo How Was Mike Flynn Ever A General.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Update : I am currently 24 hours into Operation: Call Trump an Inbred Dogfucker on Twitter.

All I've managed so far is 12 hours in the Twitter time-out corner

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

evilweasel posted:

my issue with greenwald is his russian apologism, like i said twice before.

you're going "everyone knows his principles" as a reason to ignore that he's violating those principles when previously he was all in favor of leaks and now he's suddenly all ~the leakers are the real criminals~ and ~hey im just asking questions here~, and you are busy pretending there's no such thing and then wondering why people criticize him for it

I don't know, I very much read that as an attack on democrats for being quiet on the leaks. More of a 'you guys are being pretty quiet about this when it's good for you' than leaks are bad when they're bad for Russia.

I mean I think he's wrong but I literally don't read those tweets the way you do.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

bollig posted:

I'm curious how these anti-MSM rants are still playing? I read a headline the other day (yesterday? time has become meaningless) that said that basically that was the Republicans' platform in 2018. It seems like that was a lot of what brought Trump into office, but I'm curious if it's become 'boy cries wolfish'.

Chicken little is a better analogy. At the end of the boy who cried wolf, there's a wolf. Chicken little was just complaining to complain and discredit yourself until you put your faith in the only person willing to listen but they eat you.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Greenwald's website also took literally zero steps to protect a source.

Yeah, yeah, they would have got this source anyway. The Intercept's sloppiness still contributed to a person going to prison for probably the rest of her relevant life. They went out of their way to make it easier to find her.

That combined with the Russia apologism is not a good look, especially since the information was a leak about...Russian election interference.

You know.

That thing the Intercept doesn't believe in. That thing they have made core to their political reporting, that 'discrediting Russian investigation' at every turn thing.

The thing the leaker they burned gave to them.

Which: poor Reality Winner, but drat did she pick the wrong website to go to.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm not sure he knows what those words mean. He clearly doesn't understand what a dog is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Night10194 posted:

The best subplot post election has been the barrage of 'RUSSIA DOESN'T MATTER NOTHING REALLY HAPPENED' being punctuated every 2 weeks by some new horrifying revelation about Russian interference or quid pro quo or Holy loving poo poo How Was Mike Flynn Ever A General.

I'm only worried about the Russia stuff to the extent that it hurts Trump politically because I still believe that the best way to attack Trump and Trumpism is politics. I've come around to seeing that it HAS been damaging to him so I don't mind people talking about it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

a nonsense idea considering that the entire republican party has coalesced around the idea that "the leaks are the real crime" and he was going but why is there not enough attention that the leaks are the real crime!?!?!?!?! there couldn't be more attention on it unless democrats also agreed that the leaks are the real crime

it wasn't willful misinterpretation, it was correct interpretation he backed down from but he's done before, merely days before that one

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/868173530923495424

:qq: why are the democrats being in favor of these dangerous dangerous nsa leaks :qq:

This guy is such a loving dipshit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boon posted:

You must make for a horrible friend and employee if you can't keep discretion.

this is a terrible comparison.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tiny Deer posted:

Which: poor Reality Winner, but drat did she pick the wrong website to go to.

On top of everything else, welcome to a lifetime of "least fitting name" jokes.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
This is a fun read

quote:

There have been a number of people who were identified as being in the running to get the job. And of that group, most have publicly withdrawn their names from contention.

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) withdrew from consideration May 15.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) withdrew May 16.

Former FBI official Richard McFeely withdrew May 20.

Former Connecticut senator Joseph I. Lieberman withdrew May 25.

Those four withdrawals are hardly the only ones the Trump administration has seen. Three of Trump’s picks to head the Army and Navy have withdrawn from consideration, Vincent Viola (Army), Philip Bilden (Navy) and Mark Green (Army). His first pick to run the Labor Department withdrew. His pick for deputy treasury secretary withdrew, as did his pick for deputy commerce secretary. Trump’s first pick to run the Office of Drug Control Policy, Rep. Tom Marino (R-Pa.), withdrew. Monica Crowley, his pick for National Security Council spokesperson, withdrew. A lawyer on the shortlist for solicitor general withdrew.

Yahoo News reported Tuesday that four different major law firms declined to represent Trump in the investigations into his campaign’s possible relationship with Russian actors during the 2016 campaign.

Reporter Michael Isikoff explains a key reason for the firms’ decisions:

“[A] consistent theme, the sources said, was the concern about whether the president would accept the advice of his lawyers and refrain from public statements and tweets that have consistently undercut his position.”

Another factor cited was that representing Trump would “kill recruitment” for the firms — that, in other words, an association with Trump would hurt their bottom lines.

The Trump administration has a recruiting problem

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Seems Hillary Clinton would be highly qualified to join Mueller's investigation. :getin:

Seems like joining an investigation against Trump is the good way to avoid any retaliation from Trump.

Oh, that's right...Comey...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MrNemo posted:

I don't know, I very much read that as an attack on democrats for being quiet on the leaks. More of a 'you guys are being pretty quiet about this when it's good for you' than leaks are bad when they're bad for Russia.

I mean I think he's wrong but I literally don't read those tweets the way you do.

i do too! which is why i'm castigating a guy who previously was all in favor of leaks, but once they're about russia he starts talking about how they are crimes

democrats aren't in favor of leaks generally, they are in favor of leaks that expose impeachable offenses and foreign meddling in our elections, and it is entirely consistent to be in favor of those leaks while being opposed to leaks that, arguably, hurt national security

it is not consistent to be in favor of the snowden/manning leaks yet be opposed to the russia leaks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm pretty sure Gowdy, Cornyn and Lieberman couldn't be confirmed and would've all taken the job if offered. They have all prostrated themselves before Trump before and will again.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 6, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Worlds biggest game not "Not touching the poop*".

*Replace with stove/dumpster fire to flavour.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

shrike82 posted:

lol i didn't realize scarborough and mika got engaged.

I wondered what finally got the big Z.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The problem Trump has is that all the police state apparatus in the US are selling him out TO the police instead of humoring his Mussolini cosplay.

Trump is so much stupider than even the huge Trump haters like me imagined. The idiot fucks up in huge public ways in like 50% of the time it takes the public to lose interest in the last bad Trump thing they read.

Dude is such a dumb rear end in a top hat that a shady intelligence agency that literally has used Hydra's logo looked at him and went LOLNOPE.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

androo posted:

It's quite likely that leaks becoming a "thing" in the beltway will come and bite Dems in the rear end once they regain power, though? That seems pretty dangerous to me, though I still think it's the right move at the moment. It's certainly fascinating.

Could be I'm in a echo chamber without realizing it, but I haven't seen or heard of any democratic leaks of something on par with what is coming out weekly about the trump admin and a huge list of republicans having received massive amounts of russian money and repeated visits with russian diplomats and spies.

All the democrats have to worry about is making sure everyone keeps their dicks in their pants or else we're gonna have a hundred years of darkness.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

oohhboy posted:

Worlds biggest game not "Not touching the poop*".

*Replace with stove/dumpster fire to flavour.

"Hey, we have a request from a big name client to come on board."

"Nice, who?"

"President Trump."

"NOPE!"

"But he's paying double our usual rates! "

"NOOOOOOPE! I like our reputation, the rest of our clients would run for the hills!"

"He said if we don't he'd tweet very mean things about us!"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kammat posted:

"Nice, who?"

"President Trump."

"NOPE!"

"NOOOOOOPE! I like our reputation, the rest of our clients would run for the hills!"

So... free advertising?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is a terrible comparison.

Nah, it goes to the very heart of protecting information. You feel entitled but there is no reason for you to have access, and frankly, you and the public at large are a terrible judge of what should and should not be available.

IT is however, why we have oversight, regulatory, Congress, and other mechanisms of discovery to help protect the interest of the public.

If there's a problem, it's with the latter not the former.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure Gowdy, Cornyn and Lieberman couldn't be confirmed and would've all taken the job if offered. They have all prostrated themselves before Trump before and will again.

Did you mean could be confirmed? Either way, I think the FBI directorship is a special case: Republicans may not be willing to force through a partisan hack for that one specific job but will force on through for anything else.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Could be I'm in a echo chamber without realizing it, but I haven't seen or heard of any democratic leaks of something on par with what is coming out weekly about the trump admin and a huge list of republicans having received massive amounts of russian money and repeated visits with russian diplomats and spies.

The Chelsea Manning leaks revealed some very bad behavior on the part of US troops, and general political skullduggery. But not really any shameful treacherous behaviour of powerful politicians as the Trump/Russia links (if they are what we suspect they are.)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/30/bradley-manning-wikileaks-revelations

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

All the democrats have to worry about is making sure everyone keeps their dicks in their pants or else we're gonna have a hundred years of darkness.

Introduce the Mike Pence rules of sexual conduct right now for all Democrats :)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

mcmagic posted:

The IC is a much greater threat to my rights than Russia is.

I don't agree. Russia has its own intelligence community, and it's pretty drat intent on threatening your and my rights.

Obviously being suspicious of our IC is a good impulse. But at the very least, if you assume they're a huge threat, be happy that they are enemies of Trump, not tools of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kammat posted:

"Nice, who?"

"President Trump."

"NOPE!"

He's so dumb and bad he basically breaks the concept of making lawyer jokes.

• Locked thread