Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BootStrap posted:

The best part is that he gave up his cushy, guaranteed Senate seat and Chairmanship for this buffoon.
He must be kicking the poo poo out of which ever staffer talked him into saying "yes".

AG was his dream job.

Not only is he not qualified for the position on its face, but he's a career backbencher.

Whatever committees he sits on have been attained by attrition, not merit. He was a complete known quantity in the senate and no one wanted anything to do with him.

The only person who'd be stupid enough to give him what he wanted would also be corrupt and incompetent enough to be impeached within a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

With all the buzz surrounding Comey, I keep forgetting that Mike Rogers is testifying tomorrow as well, and someone or another said they expect a bomb from that one.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

This seems like something that would make a good drinking game.
Take a shot every time Trump tweets "lies"

So goodbye to your liver.

Tweet reactions are the best part of this administration.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

dont even fink about it posted:

NYT reports that Sessions is in Trump's doghouse because he recused himself, thereby causing all these legal problems in Trump's mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/...v=top-news&_r=0

(Trump's mind almost certainly being poisoned by staffers who don't like Sessions)

Trump's mind, a vast empty cavern with a small dot in the middle that represents what might be considered a thought process

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

eviltastic posted:

By 'told MSNBC', they mean Costa said that on Morning Joe, right? Did they talk about what a terrible, terrible move it would be? Hopefully Trump saw that bit and it triggers his idiot contrarianism and makes it a sure thing. I need them tweets.

e:

Worth emphasizing that he'll literally be acting as his own lawyer, here. Always a great idea.

Trump is gonna act as his own lawyer when he's inevitably brought before Congress to testify :v:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The shortest man in the senate was replaced by the tallest!

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

In some corner of his mind he probably thinks he's somehow intimidating Comey into telling the "truth" about everything by doing this.

I may not like Comey for various reasons. However, I REALLY doubt Trump has any way at all of leveraging the man.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

RZApublican posted:

Trump is gonna act as his own lawyer when he's inevitably brought before Congress to testify :v:

Maybe Jimmy McGill could come out of retirement at that Cinnabon to help out :)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
In more AHCA will almost never be able to pass the senate news

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/872133640704196609

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am reading Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of a Nation and I enjoyed this part

quote:

Richard Nixon had tried to win his future wife Pat's favor by driving her on her dates with other men;

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

theflyingorc posted:

but i get to see puppies

Trump is the opposite of puppies, so I won't watch that

I concede that this is ironclad logic.

Apologies if this has been posted already, but even if it turns out this whole investigation is all smoke and no fire (and I definitely believe there's fire),
it will have been worth it:

quote:

President Donald Trump's legislative director is acknowledging that the ongoing investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 election are overwhelming his legislative agenda as former FBI Director James Comey is set to appear at a blockbuster Senate hearing later this week.

“There’s no doubt that keeping members focused on investigations detracts from our legislative agenda, detracts from what we’re trying to deliver for the American people,” said Marc Short, Trump’s director of legislative affairs, in a briefing with reporters on Monday night.

The more it gums up the works and makes it more difficult for Trump to take away people's healthcare, cut food stamps, etc, the better.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, just about the only legitimate reason to keep this kind of information secret right now is if it's part of an ongoing active investigation. But given the Trump White house exists and has shown no interest in investigating the election, and the fact it was leaked from (not Mueller), there's​ no particular reason to assume it *is* part of an active investigation, either. Given that someone was willing to risk their career to leak this, it seems more like this was *not* being properly followed up on.

Yes, I agree that the document that was created 4 days before it was leaked does not indicate some form of an ongoing investigation.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Lets talk more about how his 110 billion dollar weapons deal with saudi arabia was made up to make him feel important.

There are no new purchases in the deal, just a package of previously signed commitments from the obama administration and some "possible future purchases" that are in no way binding.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

cult member at airport posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/872104030457221120

I can't wait to hear them endlessly question Comey about leakers leaking leaky leaks :unsmigghh:.

Lil Marco is a groveling worm.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chilichimp posted:

Lets talk more about how his 110 billion dollar weapons deal with saudi arabia was made up to make him feel important.

There are no new purchases in the deal, just a package of previously signed commitments from the obama administration and some "possible future purchases" that are in no way binding.

im really upset that i took his statement at face value about it

For some reason, I heard Trump claim a success and didn't think "this is actually a huge lie"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol:

"Prosecution of this executive was declined"

Going through the Office's organization chart, there are only 3-4 men in director or assistant director positions right now. Must be awkward at work if they haven't gotten rid of the guy yet. They also abruptly fired the Director at the end of May for unknown reasons.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

RZApublican posted:

I'm allowing myself to daydream about the trainwreck that would be Trump Under Oath...

:peanut:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Our president, within 5 months of entering office, will live-tweet public testimony about his own obstruction of justice, presumably heckling, starkly gainsaying, and generally making GBS threads on what's being said in realtime. Testimony being given by the former director of the FBI who refused to participate in said obstruction and was fired likely because of that choice (another instance of obstruction?)...And the obstruction is aimed at a multi-faceted investigation dealing with his election campaign and transition team, and their deep ties to our nation's largest enemy and possible manipulation of our election.

If I went back in time 4 years and published a book on the above I would be rightly panned as a lovely left wing self-indulgent hack of a writer.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 6, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

scuz posted:

I'm allowing myself to daydream about the trainwreck that would be Trump Under Oath...

When he was depositioned he mostly claimed he couldn't read anything because the print was too small.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I am reading Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of a Nation and I enjoyed this part

quote:

Richard Nixon had tried to win his future wife Pat's favor by driving her on her dates with other men

This should be an encouragement to guys in the friend-zone as they married and lived happily ever after till death did them part (aside from a few minor issues with her husband's career.)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

scuz posted:

If Trump EVER goes under oath, he's done. That's the end of the Trump administration, because he'll commit perjury 30 times in an hour, if not more.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

So what is the proper mechanism for leaks anyway? Seems like transcribing them would make it easy to question the validity. Or is the problem that The Intercept is stupid for posting the real documents?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Majorian posted:

I concede that this is ironclad logic.

Apologies if this has been posted already, but even if it turns out this whole investigation is all smoke and no fire (and I definitely believe there's fire),
it will have been worth it:

The more it gums up the works and makes it more difficult for Trump to take away people's healthcare, cut food stamps, etc, the better.

Exactly right. Right now he should be whipping support for the AHCA in the senate (and the house for the inevitable amendments) and working with key leaders to flesh out his tax reform proposal.

Instead he's distracted watching cable news an angry-tweeting.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

How is this real life, it's like we're being encouraged to watch the testimony and watch Trump's twitter feed live.

This is the best marketing I've ever seen.

Edit: when is the testimony and how do I watch it live? I've got time on Thursday to make this happen.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Beautiful.

I hope he incriminates the poo poo out of himself.

Or he just has an anger stroke mid-tweet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

If Trump EVER goes under oath, he's done. That's the end of the Trump administration, because he'll commit perjury 30 times in an hour, if not more.

He could commit perjury 30 times in an hour on tape and the GOP congress would still do nothing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

So what is the proper mechanism for leaks anyway? Seems like transcribing them would make it easy to question the validity. Or is the problem that The Intercept is stupid for posting the real documents?

Stick it in the WaPo's drop box

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Faustian Bargain posted:

Oh yeah, I wanted to point out that the dumbest idiots on Facebook talking about NOBODY HAS EVER EVEN SEEN THE COMEY MEMO don't understand that it's exactly because of stuff like this. If they leaked the actual memo they'd get fired immediately. People are stupid.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's a brilliant distraction doing that during the testimony, since we do not have the technology to time-shift media and thus anyone watching him can never see the testimony ever.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mcmagic posted:

He could commit perjury 30 times in an hour on tape and the GOP congress would still do nothing.

Just so long as he doesn't talk about getting a bj in the oval office, that will not stand, good sir!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

In more AHCA will almost never be able to pass the senate news

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/872133640704196609

Hyep. It's so bad that moderates are scared, yet too good for scumsuckers like Rand Paul. It hit the perfect sweet spot of being absolutely unworkable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

exploded mummy posted:

What did you mean by this

I'm not sure what sort of gotcha you're aiming for here

https://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2017/02/07/house-committee-votes-terminate-agency-protects-voting-machines-hacking

The Republicans are not interested in stopping Russian interference with our elections

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Count down to "I ordered Comey to stop the investigation because it was all based on fake news!"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another thought, I hope when the russian elections get going, every spy agency in the world messes with it.
Russian "elections" are about as authentic as a Harlem Globetrotters game, there's nothing to mess with.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do *any* of those oversight mechanisms appear to be doing their job right now?

You keep acting like the classification system deserves respect despite the fact that it is literally entirely based on the authority and judgement of our current president, an Alzheimer's-ridden narcissistic baboon man.

Edit: who would already be criminally charged if he weren't a Republican President

it's all based, in principle, on the authority of the president but the president does not determine the classification level of individual documents. he in effect has the power to declassify documents unilaterally but in practice has no real ability to classify them. not least because he lacks the patience and reading ability to make it through two paragraphs that don't include his name. the agencies themselves decide what classification level is appropriate.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Alter Ego posted:

Beautiful.

I hope he incriminates the poo poo out of himself.

Or he just has an anger stroke mid-tweet.

Trump hungers for ratings so much that he is telegraphing his moves. Now that Comey knows generally what Trump's strategy will be, Comey can counter it. If Trump so much as makes any statement that can be construed as a threat, Comey can take the Fifth. It would also be slam dunk Obstruction of Justice.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

mcmagic posted:

Lil Marco is a groveling worm.

Marco was loving gross during the other recent FBI hearing. He just kept trying to change the subject, basically.

Faustian Bargain posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2016/news-tips/

Pretty sure NYT is ahead of the game. I know the person that set this up, and they sure as poo poo know not to post raw printouts.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, the basic rule seems to be "if you can get a copy in a way that doesn't stand out or isn't noticeable to the higher ups, secure drop it to WaPo or NYT or just dump it into the mail."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Xae posted:

Count down to "I ordered Comey to stop the investigation because it was all based on fake news!"

Oh please. Please, let him say this. It would be the torch to the kindling. I want Comey's every word to enrage him further and further until he literally punches through his phone's screen with his thumbs.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

looking forward to a democratic senator asking comey about a trump tweet from the hearing itself

• Locked thread