Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Here specifically, if there's a document that explains how Russia hacked the election and that therefore shows Trump's election may have been suspect, Trump has a sinister motive to keep such evidence secret; basically, there is an inherent conflict of interest, because Trump, and anyone who holds office by his authority or appointment, have a personal incentive to keep such evidence hidden and secret, because it could lead to the loss of their jobs.

A lot of people who work with classified documents seem to believe that classification itself is a moral good, worthy of respect in the abstract, regardless of content or motive for the classification. That viewpoint is morally bankrupt.

I think I'm with you but I disagree on this section because this assumes that there is a cover-up by the NSA or that Trump has a direct hand in their actions and the leaker is a whistleblower. That doesn't at all appear to be the case and given credence that there isn't anything significant to the leak that the IC hasn't already stated and been forthcoming about.

Further, if Intel becomes categorized as evidence, how does that change your thoughts on the classification concern?

Again, what we're your thoughts on the Manchester leak?

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No one watches the Puppy Bowl, Donnie.

This is going to have a huge Streisand Effect.

Edit: yuuuge Streisand Effect. Bigly

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

i do, it's on during halftime

We're hosed!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spaced God posted:

I saw some discussion that this is just some chaff because it's very clear that both Sessions and Nunez didn't actually recuse themselves and are still very much involved in the investigation.

Rosentstein wouldn't have been able to appoint Mueller if Sessions had still been fully involved. He hasn't fully recused himself, but it's definitely affected things a lot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spaced God posted:

Yeah but I turned it into a factual thing. My bad!

fake edit:

I saw some discussion that this is just some chaff because it's very clear that both Sessions and Nunez didn't actually recuse themselves and are still very much involved in the investigation.

Sessions' 'fake' recusal directly gave Rosenstein the cover to get pissed off at the DoJ and appoint Mueller. It is entirely Sessions' 'Well I sure didn't talk with no Russians!' answer to a mostly unrelated question by Franken that caused a special counsel.

Sessions is still trying to interfere but boy howdy did he gently caress up.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

theflyingorc posted:

This is increasingly stupid

"Unless I know literally everything our government is doing, I can't even begin to guess how I should vote!"

Lol, here's a hint; Don't vote for the party actively and openly trying to curtail rights, poo poo on the world, and support violent actions against those they disagree with

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/872104030457221120

I can't wait to hear them endlessly question Comey about leakers leaking leaky leaks :unsmigghh:.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

No there aren't. They killed literally hundreds of civilians.

Sinteres posted:

Are you Peter King?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The IRA considered itself a terrorist/armed resistance group.

That's why Sinn Fein exists.
Settle down kids.

The argument to be made is that the PIRA conducted a campaign against military targets and many of its bombings in civilian areas were preceded by attempts to minimize civilian deaths. On a comparative basis it is hard to look at the totality of the Troubles and see them as terrorists rather than a militant insurrection participating in a low level conflict against a state actor. I would still call them "terrorists" myself but it is frustrating to be put in that position because they are qualitatively different from a group that maximizes civilian deaths to maximize the coercive potential.

Rather than calling themselves terrorists they also characterized themselves as being in the middle of a "war" and that is a fair claim, although they committed atrocities in the course of that war. For instance, after the assassination of Lord Mountbatten Gerry Adams remarked

quote:

with his war record I don't think he could have objected to dying in what was clearly a war situation.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Again, so do zoning laws.

I feel like maybe I'm not explaining myself well here.

If my city council makes a decision about zoning law, that's a legal decision, but not a moral one, not necessarily. If they zone an area for a charity hospital or public park, that might be a positive moral choice, but only because building a park or a hospital might be moral, not because zoning law is moral.

Similarly, the decision to classify a given document does not give it holy imprimatur. If a document needs to be classified for legit national security reasons, then it's classification is moral because of those national security reasons, not because of the fact of classification by itself.

Here specifically, if there's a document that explains how Russia hacked the election and that therefore shows Trump's election may have been suspect, Trump has a sinister motive to keep such evidence secret; basically, there is an inherent conflict of interest, because Trump, and anyone who holds office by his authority or appointment, have a personal incentive to keep such evidence hidden and secret, because it could lead to the loss of their jobs.

A lot of people who work with classified documents seem to believe that classification itself is a moral good, worthy of respect in the abstract, regardless of content or motive for the classification. That viewpoint is morally bankrupt.

Weren't you complaing yesterday about arresting Winner and ignoring the crime of investigating Russian influence on the elections

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What the gently caress is going on. Every. Week.

EVERY WEEK

It gets crazier.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

i do, it's on during halftime

But if you do that, you miss Chris Martin embarrassing himself on-stage with Beyonce and Bruno Mars.

(yes I'm aware that was two Superbowls ago)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

But if you do that, you miss Chris Martin embarrassing himself on-stage with Beyonce and Bruno Mars.

(yes I'm aware that was two Superbowls ago)

but i get to see puppies

Trump is the opposite of puppies, so I won't watch that

edit: someone in the thread should jump on that grenade and let us know what Trump says during the comey testimony

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Our government, yet again prosecuting the person reporting the crime and ignoring the crime

What did you mean by this

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The printer steg is a thing for all color laser printers, not just gov't/NSA printers. It's a relatively well known feature-- something that you absolutely should know if you're in the business of protecting sources.

It has a loving Wikipedia page, for chrissakes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like there is something truly incredible about Sessions being asked a question about if he could take a principled stand against the president as AG (we all know he couldn't but Franken wanted him on record) and going 'OH poo poo AM I MADE? I'M NOT MADE AM I'

The best part was that coming out like, 2 days after Trump Became President with the State of the Union and loving the whole thing up, lol.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This guy sounds like a hell of a boss.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/872130524244062208

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Spaced God posted:

I dunno about chaff. It would be just like Trump to make it harder for them to meddle by not seeing it and getting pissed that Sessions isn't overtly spiking the investigation.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

If revealing that document to the public exposes methods and compromises an ongoing investigation, that's bad, even if in this case keeping it secret also (at least temporarily) protected Trump. There's a right time, sometimes. This was not the right time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

A reminder that Reince Priebus, mischievous and villainous elf that plagues us from an ancient puzzle box, only still has his job because no-one else wants it and he's trapped.

Apparently the reason he had to go with his usual attorney for the Russia probe is because the White House approached a number of first rank legal firms and they all basically went "Nope. Trump won't listen to our advice, he won't pay us his bills, and he'll look toxic on our client list." The last being the biggest concern.

The leader of the free world, too toxic to take on as a client. :stonk:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

eviltastic posted:

I dunno about chaff. It would be just like Trump to make it harder for them to meddle by not seeing it and getting pissed that Sessions isn't overtly spiking the investigation.

Yeah, this is why he was so furious when Sessions first offered to recuse himself. He knew there was poo poo, knew Sessions had promised to take care of it, and he has no sense for 'Recuse yourself then spike the investigation from the shadows' subterfuge.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Like there is something truly incredible about Sessions being asked a question about if he could take a principled stand against the president as AG (we all know he couldn't but Franken wanted him on record) and going 'OH poo poo AM I MADE? I'M NOT MADE AM I'

The best part was that coming out like, 2 days after Trump Became President with the State of the Union and loving the whole thing up, lol.

I really think we would be hosed if he'd realized at the time that appearances no longer matter. He could have easily shrugged and ignored it, but he was still operating as if normal political mores applied.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What if Comey swerves everybody and uses this testimony to say "my memos weren't real he never asked me to interfere" :ohdear:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The printer steg thing they used to identify the Intercept source is basically invisible unless you know it's already there, right? It's a colossal fuckup on their part to not know about it already, but accidentally overlooking an identification code printed in tiny yellow dots seems like a much more plausible theory than Greenwald intentionally destroying the credibility of his own news organization because Russia paid him off or whatever.

It is difficult to see but every now and then you'll run into someone complaining about their "defective" printer leaving yellow dust all over the page. It is most visible on text and certain photos. News orgs should know about them though.

oohhboy posted:

LOL at the guy who thinks he would get paid.

There's always the option of making him pay in advance.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

This seems like something that would make a good drinking game.
Take a shot every time Trump tweets "lies"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol:

"Prosecution of this executive was declined"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

I think I'm with you but I disagree on this section because this assumes that there is a cover-up by the NSA or that Trump has a direct hand in their actions and the leaker is a whistleblower. That doesn't at all appear to be the case and given credence that there isn't anything significant to the leak that the IC hasn't already stated and been forthcoming about.

Further, if Intel becomes categorized as evidence, how does that change your thoughts on the classification concern?

Again, what we're your thoughts on the Manchester leak?

Yeah, just about the only legitimate reason to keep this kind of information secret right now is if it's part of an ongoing active investigation. But given the Trump White house exists and has shown no interest in investigating the election, and the fact it was leaked from (not Mueller), there's​ no particular reason to assume it *is* part of an active investigation, either. Given that someone was willing to risk their career to leak this, it seems more like this was *not* being properly followed up on.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

This seems like something that would make a good drinking game.
Take a shot every time Trump tweets "lies"

The forums are already dead enough

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Shifty Pony posted:

There's always the option of making him pay in advance.

Isn't that why retainers exist?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vintersorg posted:

What the gently caress is going on. Every. Week.

EVERY WEEK

It gets crazier.

As always.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hobo Clown posted:

What if Comey swerves everybody and uses this testimony to say "my memos weren't real he never asked me to interfere" :ohdear:

If he was planning to do this, don't you think he'd have corrected the memo stories (which most probably he originated, by the way) before now?

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Night10194 posted:

The best part is that he gave up his cushy, guaranteed Senate seat and Chairmanship for this buffoon.
He must be kicking the poo poo out of which ever staffer talked him into saying "yes".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really think we would be hosed if he'd realized at the time that appearances no longer matter. He could have easily shrugged and ignored it, but he was still operating as if normal political mores applied.

I dunno about that, the public pretty clearly doesn't like a lot of the 'lol we have total power fite me nerd' stuff the GOP is pulling and any time they get really serious about spiking investigations, the leaks become a torrent again. I think he had to do something, and figured he could still damage the probe/interfere more quietly.

Just Trump is a massive loving idiot and fired Comey, etc.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

cult member at airport posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/872104030457221120

I can't wait to hear them endlessly question Comey about leakers leaking leaky leaks :unsmigghh:.

Remember when Bill Clinton met Loretta Lynch on the tarmac? me neither

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, just about the only legitimate reason to keep this kind of information secret right now is if it's part of an ongoing active investigation. But given the Trump White house exists and has shown no interest in investigating the election, and the fact it was leaked from (not Mueller), there's​ no particular reason to assume it *is* part of an active investigation, either. Given that someone was willing to risk their career to leak this, it seems more like this was *not* being properly followed up on.

I think we understand each other but let me be clear that this quote is all entirely speculation assuming the worst of all involved and a level of involvement by the Trump administration which is unlikely at best. I fundamentally disagree when it happens in this thread and it is the basis of my pushback. Especially because I have experience here.

For one thing, the NSA is a DoD organization. For two, it was leaked by a contractor in Georgia who may be able to access the document but likely has zero visibility on anything surrounding the decision process around it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 6, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BootStrap posted:

The best part is that he gave up his cushy, guaranteed Senate seat and Chairmanship for this buffoon.
He must be kicking the poo poo out of which ever staffer talked him into saying "yes".

The Tragic Tale of Session's the Racist Elf, a modern day fable by Tom Stoppard. Coming this Winter.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wouldn't it be amazing if Trump had to defend himself in court and he had to speak for 5 minutes without contradicting or incriminating himself?

On another thought, I hope when the russian elections get going, every spy agency in the world messes with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The FAKE MSM doesn't realize I asked Comey to drop Russia because its FAKE NEWS. Comey should be loyal and nothing wrong with asking him 2 b

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattlaslo/status/872130756063186944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I dunno about that, the public pretty clearly doesn't like a lot of the 'lol we have total power fite me nerd' stuff the GOP is pulling and any time they get really serious about spiking investigations, the leaks become a torrent again. I think he had to do something, and figured he could still damage the probe/interfere more quietly.

Just Trump is a massive loving idiot and fired Comey, etc.

The info in the leaks pisses us off, sure, but it's up to the investigative bodies to do something about it. Congress is ignoring, and even burying, everything. The DoJ would be doing the same if Sessions still had the authority to ignore calls for an independent counsel.

• Locked thread