Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TomR posted:

Wasn't the real problem the thickness of the glue they used causing the heat spreader to be lifted from the die a tiny amount, and that the actual TIM was fine?

Yes. Getting the cheapest Corning paste that comes in a 4 ounce tube and repasting with that but with the glue cut away still showed 10-15 degree drops. Reaching the peak of TIM will get you a couple more degrees, but in general the performance difference between the cheapest TIM and most expensive (short of those gallium based ones that have potential for detrimental chemical reactions, or really thick applications like in Intel's case) isn't worth changing whatever weird bottle of paste you might have laying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Has anyone ever damaged a core, by repasting the TIM (successfully), and then refitting it with the heatspreader?

I'm just trying to figure out if the glue used is some kind of buffer to super high mounting force sinks, or if it's just rear end.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Has anyone ever damaged a core, by repasting the TIM (successfully), and then refitting it with the heatspreader?

I'm just trying to figure out if the glue used is some kind of buffer to super high mounting force sinks, or if it's just rear end.

No

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

craig588 posted:

Yes. Getting the cheapest Corning paste that comes in a 4 ounce tube and repasting with that but with the glue cut away still showed 10-15 degree drops.
So that's a problem that could have been fixed with the new CPUs?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Linus is pretty much calling a hard pass on Sky-X (and a 'what the gently caress were they thinking' on Kaby-X): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:stare: Man, you have to have really hosed up your marketing *and* your technology if even Linus "lol i dropped my 8-drive RAID 5 of 3 TB SSDs aren't i the randomest PC nerd xD" Sebastian is going to pass on your HEDT platform.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So much for "everything's going so well we're gonna release Coffee Lake early!"

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-delayed-2018-8th-gen-kaby-lake-refresh/amp/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Now Jay has a video making GBS threads on it too lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNRtGo5IMc

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Still wondering when Purley platforms are gonna show up.

Need me some massive 3647 pin cpus.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TomR posted:

Wasn't the real problem the thickness of the glue they used causing the heat spreader to be lifted from the die a tiny amount, and that the actual TIM was fine?

Yeah, but that's not as catchy in YouTube comments as: "Intel *STILL* using lovely TIM, lols"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I corrected a bunch when kaby came out on FB, but they're jeering idiots.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'm going to do a Linux desktop with a Windows gaming VM for my next desktop so I've been paying attention to all the HEDT stuff and Intel seems to be doing its damnedest to make Skylake-X as uncompelling as possible. I don't particularly relish dropping $1000 on a CPU just for PCIe lanes when I'd rather have a higher clocked 8-core, and cutting off 4 lanes is just spiteful when partners are announcing x299 boards with 4 and 5 M.2 slots.

It's me, I'm the guy wanting to run RAID NVMe SSDs (ZFS) on my desktop, but for resiliency not (just) performance. I'm shocked none of the x399 boards announced so far have four M.2 slots though, seems like an easy win for AMD. I'd love to RAID10 smaller SSDs directly from the CPU for maximum :pcgaming: at roughly the same price.

I'm waiting for Volta so at least the skylake-x vs threadripper slap fight will be relatively settled by the time I build.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, there is a bright side to all of this. Intel's Retail Edge program is going to have a TON of surplus stock to dangle. They'll probably sell the 18C/36T for $999 to "Rock Stars" just to clear their unsold inventory in Spring 2018.

But yeah, GDDR6 isn't due until early 2018, which means we probably won't see Volta until late Spring 2018 or even early Autumn.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So much for "everything's going so well we're gonna release Coffee Lake early!"

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-delayed-2018-8th-gen-kaby-lake-refresh/amp/

Early 2018 for the consumer hexacore and 170/270 boards are not compatible, ouchies :smith:
They might be going straight up against a 200$ second generation Zen if the stars align.

eames
May 9, 2009

I wonder if the August rumor was false all along or if they did this because Coffee Lake would have eaten into SL-X sales.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

eames posted:

I wonder if the August rumor was false all along or if they did this because Coffee Lake would have eaten into SL-X sales.

Well, now there's a rumor that Intel will sit on the 6C/12T i7s until later, again, being spread by WCCF, so more than a little salt is required.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, there is a bright side to all of this. Intel's Retail Edge program is going to have a TON of surplus stock to raid dongle.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Desuwa posted:

and cutting off 4 lanes is just spiteful
Four? Try 16.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is some serious bullshit, and it does feel like stringing people like me along.

Maybe I’ll just go AMD, what a mess.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does Intel not have a backup plan for Zen performing the way it does at its respective pricepoints? :whoptc:

6C Coffee Lake delayed, Kaby Lake-X exists (?!), 14-18 core HEDT wasn't on the roadmap shown jus tdays before the launch, the Asus rep stealth-editing his posting from "we won't see 14-18 core parts until next year" to "later this year", etc.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ufarn posted:

This is some serious bullshit, and it does feel like stringing people like me along.

Maybe I’ll just go AMD, what a mess.

What're you after? What's your budget? If the answer is "heavily threaded loads" and "not a ton of money", take a peek at the fact that you can get an 8C/16T 1700X with motherboard for $340 total at Microcenter. These threads need to get merged worse than Intel needs >4 cores on a mainstream platform.

Edit: At the very least as a stopgap i5s need to pick up hyperthreading ASAP.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 6, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

eames posted:

Does Intel not have a backup plan for Zen performing the way it does at its respective pricepoints? :whoptc:

After the last three times they might have just gone "ehhh let's just assume AMD will continue to suck and not waste any man hours developing a plan for the increasingly unlikely situation that they stop sucking before going bust".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

What're you after? What's your budget? If the answer is "heavily threaded loads" and "not a ton of money", take a peek at the fact that you can get an 8C/16T 1700X with motherboard for $340 total at Microcenter. These threads need to get merged worse than Intel needs >4 cores on a mainstream platform.

Edit: At the very least as a stopgap i5s need to pick up hyperthreading ASAP.
Was gunning for a 8700K, but going to be looking at how performance picks up. Dunno if AMD will do their own minor update to their high-end line, but that’s probably more of an Intel move.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What do you mean Coffee Lake delayed? Wasn't it always 2018?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Combat Pretzel posted:

What do you mean Coffee Lake delayed? Wasn't it always 2018?

There were rumors it was being pushed forwards to 3rd/4th quarter 2017 because "oh poo poo Zen"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently the 10-core Skylake-X overclocked to 4.3GHz doesn't have any significant gain over a 10-core Broadwell-E at the same clock. At least not in Cinebench (2364 vs almost 2300).

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/06/05/intel_core_i9_skylake_e_clocks_no_higher_than_broadwell/

I guess raytracing isn't that cache sensitive for the new layout to prove itself.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently the 10-core Skylake-X overclocked to 4.3GHz doesn't have any significant gain over a 10-core Broadwell-E at the same clock. At least not in Cinebench (2364 vs almost 2300).

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/06/05/intel_core_i9_skylake_e_clocks_no_higher_than_broadwell/

I guess raytracing isn't that cache sensitive for the new layout to prove itself.

That is about what I would expect, 2%-3% is what we have been seeing for a while as far as IPC gains on Intel's CPUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Skylake-X should be more impressive under AVX-512 workloads, but lol who gives a poo poo. Intel have been shipping full-rate AVX since Haswell and it's still barely utilized outside of HPC, it's going to be at least another 5 years from now before AVX-512 starts seeing non-HPC adoption.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I was hoping for 5% but I guess I'll take 3%. If Intel can get it to OC close to 5 GHz (17% improvement over Broadwell-E's 4.3 GHz) then that would put it ~19% ahead of BW-E in total, which puts it 24-29% ahead of Ryzen in single-thread performance. Which is really close to the magic "6-core Intel matches 8-core AMD" target that would mean price-to-performance parity between the two.

(Side note but lately I've been feeling that Cinebench is an increasingly irrelevant benchmark. It seems to bear no resemblance to real x264/x265/Premiere/Blender anymore - the 1800X blows out the 6900K in the synthetic Cinebench but the 6900K wins all the real-world benchmarks. Maybe it's OK for comparing within an architectural family (eg Broadwell vs Skylake) but I don't think it's the least bit useful anymore for comparing (say) Ryzen and Broadwell.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 6, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

(Side note but lately I've been feeling that Cinebench is an increasingly irrelevant benchmark. It seems to bear no resemblance to real x264, x265, or Premiere anymore - the 1800X blows out the 6900K in the synthetic Cinebench but the 6900K wins all the real-world benchmarks. Maybe it's OK for comparing within an architectural family (eg Broadwell vs Skylake) but I don't think it's the least bit useful anymore for comparing (say) Ryzen and Broadwell.)

Technically Cinebench isn't a synthetic benchmark, it's just a standalone/crippled version of Cinema 4Ds internal renderer. Although I'll grant you that (1) it usually lags several versions behind C4D proper and (2) from my experience it seems like nobody actually uses C4D internal anymore. Nearly all of the C4D artists I encounter have moved on to third party GPU renderers like Redshift and Octane.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

(Side note but lately I've been feeling that Cinebench is an increasingly irrelevant benchmark. It seems to bear no resemblance to real x264, x265, or Premiere anymore

Uhh, Cinebench is offline 3D renderer from Cinema 4D that uses either ray or path-tracing, not sure which. Video rendering/encoding never had any resemblance to 3D rendering.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SinineSiil posted:

Uhh, Cinebench is offline 3D renderer from Cinema 4D that uses either ray or path-tracing, not sure which. Video rendering/encoding never had any resemblance to 3D rendering.

It doesn't match up to Blender's performance either. The 6900K is ahead by 14% and 10% in the two standard benchmarks, while the 1800X is ahead by 9% in Cinebench R15 MT.

So that means Cinebench is skewed ~20-25% from real-world benchmarks.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

It doesn't match up to Blender's performance either. The 6900K is ahead by 14% and 10% in the two standard benchmarks, while the 1800X is ahead by 9% in Cinebench R15 MT.

So that means Cinebench is skewed ~20-25% from real-world benchmarks.

I misunderstood what you were saying there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SinineSiil posted:

I misunderstood what you were saying there.

I thought Cinebench did include some video encoding too but I guess not. (but I would expect it to correlate fairly well to other multithread-friendly media workloads like video encoding anyway)

But like I said, it doesn't match other rendering benchmarks either, so it doesn't seem to correlate well to anything anymore.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I was hoping for 5% but I guess I'll take 3%. If Intel can get it to OC close to 5 GHz (17% improvement over Broadwell-E's 4.3 GHz) then that would put it ~19% ahead of BW-E in total, which puts it 24-29% ahead of Ryzen in single-thread performance. Which is really close to the magic "6-core Intel matches 8-core AMD" target that would mean price-to-performance parity between the two.

(Side note but lately I've been feeling that Cinebench is an increasingly irrelevant benchmark. It seems to bear no resemblance to real x264/x265/Premiere/Blender anymore - the 1800X blows out the 6900K in the synthetic Cinebench but the 6900K wins all the real-world benchmarks. Maybe it's OK for comparing within an architectural family (eg Broadwell vs Skylake) but I don't think it's the least bit useful anymore for comparing (say) Ryzen and Broadwell.)
The TechArp x264 benchmark isn't a real world benchmark, though. It uses an x264 version from 2012. If I manually update x264 my 5820k gets 50% faster in the first pass and ~15% in second (very brief test). Who knows what it does to Ryzen

e: Also I don't know why they even bother with TechArp's x264 benchmark when they're already testing using HandBrake (where Ryzen wins)

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 6, 2017

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
I think people claiming Ryzen has similar IPC to Intel are looking at cherry-picked benchmarks, or things that don't fully scale with CPU speed (ie games).

Looking at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1853?vs=1729
It seems like the 6900k and 1800x are basically tied at stock clocks. Except the former is clocked 400mhz lower, which means Broadwell-E​ has about a 15% IPC advantage. Looking at the same benchmarks using the 1700x indicates that these scores roughly scale with frequency.

Ryzen will reliably OC to 4ghz (+11%) versus broadwell E at 4.3ghz (+34%). So at max OC Intel is about 20% faster.

If skylake-x gets a 5% avg IPC gain over Broadwell-E, and clocks at 4.5ghz it will be 35% faster than Ryzen. That makes the Skylake 6 core ($390) competitive against the 1700 non-X ($330). Especially when you consider that if total speed is equal then lower core count CPUs are strictly superior for single threaded applications. X299 boards cost more than Ryzen ones, but the former has HEDT features; Ryzen is a mainstream platform.

I don't really get the rips on the 7740k and the NVMe raid stuff. They're lame but...they are extras; if they didn't exist at all what complaint would you have? Just ignore them.

Like, Ryzen is cool, I think stitching dies together is cool and novel, and I'm super glad AMD has forced Intel to lower prices, but I don't see a reason to declare Intel dead because their competitor finally released a product that would have been state of the art in the year 2012.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eyes Only posted:

If skylake-x gets a 5% avg IPC gain over Broadwell-E, and clocks at 4.5ghz it will be 35% faster than Ryzen. That makes the Skylake 6 core ($390) competitive against the 1700 non-X ($330). Especially when you consider that if total speed is equal then lower core count CPUs are strictly superior for single threaded applications. X299 boards cost more than Ryzen ones, but the former has HEDT features; Ryzen is a mainstream platform.

This is my basic argument as well. I think your numbers may be a little optimistic here, I'm still expecting the 6C SKL-X to land slightly behind the 8C R7s (~5%), but Intel's goal here is to put a 6C up against the 8C with roughly equivalent multi-threaded performance (i.e. a 25%+ lead in single-threaded performance).

My rule of thumb (guesstimate) is that the HEDT chips are ~100 MHz slower than the equivalent "Small" version of the architecture. For example, Small Haswell reliably goes to 4.7 GHz with extra voltage, Haswell-E reliably goes to 4.6 GHz (with extra voltage). Small Broadwell goes to 4.4 GHz, Broadwell-E goes to 4.3 GHz.

Since a 6700K reliably goes to 4.7, I really think Skylake-X is going to land at no less than 4.6 GHz max overclock. Less than 4.5 would be abysmal. The other train of thought is that Kaby Lake is basically just Skylake on a revised process (plus iGPU stuff that won't be in the -E chips), so if Intel runs Skylake-X on the new Kaby Lake process then we could be looking at closer to 5 GHz right out of the gate. This is supported by the 4.5 GHz single-core turbo speeds on some of the 10C SKUs. Even cherrypicking the best core on the chip (Turbo Boost 3.0), if they can hit 4.5 GHz at stock-ish voltage then 5 GHz should be doable with extra voltage.

(myself, if I could get 4.5 GHz all-core at near stock voltages, that would be plenty for me)

quote:

I don't really get the rips on the 7740k and the NVMe raid stuff. They're lame but...they are extras; if they didn't exist at all what complaint would you have? Just ignore them.

Yeah, I mean, the 4C4T and 4C8T are dumb SKUs that nobody is going to buy. Who cares?

The Intel RAID thing only really matters if you want a bootable RAID array, or soft-RAID is just too slow for you. Anyone in this use-case is already dropping tens of thousands of dollars on NVMe drives anyway, so another $100 for hardware RAID support is no big deal. Someone else suggested that this is really going after Dell's side business in hardware RAID controllers more than anything.

The PCIe lanes thing is actually kinda dumb, I was hoping that Intel would put 44 lanes on all the HEDT chips (except the 4C models) just as a differentiator from Ryzen, but it's not the end of the world either.

The TIM is definitely the dickpunch in this launch.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gonna lol if they also TIM the xeons

$4000 processors using goop with poor application tolerances for heat transfer

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, I mean, the 4C4T and 4C8T are dumb SKUs that nobody is going to buy. Who cares?

The Intel RAID thing only really matters if you want a bootable RAID array, or soft-RAID is just too slow for you. Anyone in this use-case is already dropping tens of thousands of dollars on NVMe drives anyway, so another $100 for hardware RAID support is no big deal. Someone else suggested that this is really going after Dell's side business in hardware RAID controllers more than anything.

The PCIe lanes thing is actually kinda dumb, I was hoping that Intel would put 44 lanes on all the HEDT chips (except the 4C models) just as a differentiator from Ryzen, but it's not the end of the world either.

The TIM is definitely the dickpunch in this launch.

I agree with all of this. But I do wonder about the TIM thing. It's been established that the problem is not the TIM specifically, but more the spacing because of the glue, right? Is there any chance that that has been corrected or will be better on these chips than it has been in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is there any chance that that has been corrected or will be better on these chips than it has been in the past?

Maybe, but they could have improved it at any point after Ivy, and they didn't.