Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Some Numbers posted:

I double checked and the bleacher seats, which are usually $17 are $32 for the Jays series.

The Brewers do the same thing for marquee Cubs games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I actually really enjoy the drill stuff in RttS, does that make me a psychopath?

I like to play The Show before I have a game because I honestly think the batting practice mini game helps me IRL with pitch recognition.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009

ihatepants posted:

I noticed that there are always a ton of Blue Jays fans here when they are playing the Mariners. Does all of Canada support them because they're the only Canadian team left, do they make the trip from Toronto, or are there just a ton of transplants from Toronto?

I grew up in Vancouver (3 hours or so north of seattle) watching the good Mariner teams of the late 90's/early 00's, and before Root took over broadcasting rights, we would routinely get Mariner games on basic cable. Then the long suck started, and Rogers marketed the poo poo out the Jays, who finally got decent.

You see a ton of Jays hats in Vancouver, and the majority of the folks you see in jays gear at Mariner games are British Columbians.

However, many of those people don't know anything/care about baseball, and only started rooting for the Jays when they made the playoffs.

It's incredibly demoralizing watching/hearing the broadcasts talk about how much BC and Canada love the Jays, because I sure as hell don't. loving Toronto.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was in seattle a couple years ago and it's a ton of fun when the Jays are in town. I had no idea, and it was crazy to be 3000 km from home and see a sea of hometown hats by the waterfront.

Getting across the border that day was brutal, though. four hours. gently caress.

by and large though it's not just Seattle, the Jays probably have the best 'all over' fans in the league, next to probably the yankees. everywhere they go there's a lot of blue behind the visitors dugout. hell, last night against the As the 'jose jose jose jose' and 'clap clap clap clap TU-LO' chants were the loudest thing in the building

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mike Schmidt said that Odubel Herrera can't be a guy that the Phillies can build around. This is possibly okay except that it's...

"because of a couple of things. First of all, it’s a language barrier. Because of that, I think he can’t be a guy that would sort of sit in a circle with four, five American players and talk about the game. Or try and learn about the game or discuss the inner workings of the game. Or come over to a guy and say, 'Man, you gotta run that ball out.' Just can’t be — because of the language barrier — that kind of a player."

:stare: Oh he kept going great

“He’s more of a sort of, play the game, allow his exuberance for the game to kind of spread around the team. I think the fans love him. He’s not afraid to do things that sort of irk the other team if you will, and you know what that is. I probably would hate him if I played against him because of his antics on the field, but he’s not afraid. He’s not afraid to do that. He’s learning to play a really good centerfield. They haven’t figured out where he needs to hit in the batting order yet. To answer your question, those are the reasons that I don’t think you can build a team around him. Now, I truly think he can hit second or first on a championship team. There’s no question about that.”

Ah yes, language barrier and antics on the field. good reasons mike schmidt

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I like to play The Show before I have a game because I honestly think the batting practice mini game helps me IRL with pitch recognition.

I always use the "guess pitch" function for change ups down or sliders away because god help me, I can't pick up on them on my own and will swing at pitches even Javy would leave alone.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I assumed that all teams raised their prices depending on the demand for tickets. The Angels have "dynamic pricing" where games vs the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers are more expensive (plus Cubs/Cards when they see each other, which is pretty rare).

I went to a Jays game this year but didn't pay for the tickets, I'm not sure if they were more expensive or not.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Poque posted:

Mike Schmidt said that Odubel Herrera can't be a guy that the Phillies can build around. This is possibly okay except that it's...

"because of a couple of things. First of all, it’s a language barrier. Because of that, I think he can’t be a guy that would sort of sit in a circle with four, five American players and talk about the game. Or try and learn about the game or discuss the inner workings of the game. Or come over to a guy and say, 'Man, you gotta run that ball out.' Just can’t be — because of the language barrier — that kind of a player."

:stare: Oh he kept going great

“He’s more of a sort of, play the game, allow his exuberance for the game to kind of spread around the team. I think the fans love him. He’s not afraid to do things that sort of irk the other team if you will, and you know what that is. I probably would hate him if I played against him because of his antics on the field, but he’s not afraid. He’s not afraid to do that. He’s learning to play a really good centerfield. They haven’t figured out where he needs to hit in the batting order yet. To answer your question, those are the reasons that I don’t think you can build a team around him. Now, I truly think he can hit second or first on a championship team. There’s no question about that.”

Ah yes, language barrier and antics on the field. good reasons mike schmidt

Good thing Ichiro can speak fluent English or else he would have sucked in MLB.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you sure you're not just looking at the price in CAD

It's real: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mlb/seattle-mariners/mariners-insider-blog/article154557519.html#storylink=hpdigest

quote:

When the Blue Jays arrive Friday for the weekend, the price range jumps to $66-175. The range then recedes for upcoming games against Detroit (June 20-22) to $29-72, and first-place Houston (June 23-25) to $33-90.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrMidnight posted:

He knows how to say the important things.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Also it's a good thing the Hispanic players don't require any American team leaders talking to them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
One of my favorite Ichiro moments was when he was chatting with... don't remember who, then realized the player was mic'd up and quickly got away from him because he liked to pretend he couldn't speak english to avoid interviews

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One thing about Mariner fans is that we pick fights with random fan bases on any given year when their fans invade safeco. For awhile it was Yankee fans, then it was "Red Sox fans from Bellevue", then it was Blue Jays fans. If we played the Cubs on a regular basis at home I'm sure we would do the same to them too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Good Dog posted:

I assumed that all teams raised their prices depending on the demand for tickets. The Angels have "dynamic pricing" where games vs the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers are more expensive (plus Cubs/Cards when they see each other, which is pretty rare).

I went to a Jays game this year but didn't pay for the tickets, I'm not sure if they were more expensive or not.

Yes all teams have dynamic pricing, when Castro came back to Chicago for a weekend series ticket prices where insanely high above the already absurd ticket prices for the Cubs this year.

Cubs/Dodgers/Yankees tend to raise ticket prices everywhere they go.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

One thing about Mariner fans is that we pick fights with random fan bases on any given year when their fans invade safeco. For awhile it was Yankee fans, then it was "Red Sox fans from Bellevue", then it was Blue Jays fans. If we played the Cubs on a regular basis at home I'm sure we would do the same to them too.

If I ever go to Seattle again I'll have to make sure it's while the Astros are in town so I can come decked out in orange :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

If I ever go to Seattle again I'll have to make sure it's while the Astros are in town so I can come decked out in orange :getin:

I hate the neon orange, but it definitely excels at drowning out everyone's home team fans.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The orange is the best part :colbert:

I love the orange jerseys

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

The orange is the best part :colbert:

I love the orange jerseys

They're hideous, dude. The only good uniforms they have are the Road (I know) and navy Alternates.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The orange unis are amazing

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Not one cares about the Astros at Safeco. Case in point: the lowest attended game in the history of that stadium was against the Astros.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Not one cares about the Astros at Safeco. Case in point: the lowest attended game in the history of that stadium was against the Astros.

But now the Astros are good and therefore hateable?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

But now the Astros are good and therefore hateable?

Won't matter much if Seattle can't scratch the playoffs. When Seattle has gotten close to the playoffs and missed out, it was usually the Angels or A's that screwed them over.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're hideous, dude. The only good uniforms they have are the Road (I know) and navy Alternates.

:sad:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Inspector_666 posted:

I actually really enjoy the drill stuff in RttS, does that make me a psychopath?

Not really. Part of it might be just that the game doesn't throw it down your throat and feels like it actually helps you play the game better. NBA 2K17's be a pro mode, on the other hand, feels like a chore with the amount of practices you have to do and have nothing to do with basketball.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

seiferguy posted:

e: I'm dumb

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Just had flashbacks to the start of the 2013 season when the attendance post opening night was really bad night after night, and being so bitter about the team that I was enjoying it. More than anything I just wanted Nintendo to sell. Not that Nintendo selling turned out to be the thing to get the M's back to the playoffs.

Had to go check, and was surprised to see that while I had the year right, the actual lowest attendance was the Astros coming back to town in September. It seems a Summer full of lovely baseball was even more of a turn off than cold damp April nights in Seattle.

Really wish there were pictures of this though.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK197904170.shtml

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So that's what it looks like if you use gate attendance instead of paid attendance

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

noah um are you saying you had sex with mrs met

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/872180789626195970

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

So that's what it looks like if you use gate attendance instead of paid attendance

If you're referring to the Mariner's/A's game in 1979, 653 was the paid attendance. Actual attendance was around 250.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If you're referring to the Mariner's/A's game in 1979, 653 was the paid attendance. Actual attendance was around 250.

lmao

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Oh yeah... I get to see the M's next week.... No Felix this year for sure (probably not a bad thing.) sure hope I get a Paxton start.

God drat it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I mean, she DID buy him underwear, so I'd say they're on pretty intimate terms.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bartolo Colon to the DL with the ol left side strain.

That may become a career ending injury.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bartolo Colon to the DL with the ol left side strain.

That may become a career ending injury.

Should've DL'ed him a couple weeks back. Awkward now that Bartolo bobblehead night is coming up on Friday.

Wisler will definitely be back to start in Saturday's doubleheader, other will be Lucas Sims or Sean Newcomb, though he'd need to get added to the 40-man.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Devon Travis to the 10 day DL after getting hit on the hand with a pitch . Poor kid can't catch a break. Right when he was heating up too. Blah

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

ihatepants posted:

I noticed that there are always a ton of Blue Jays fans here when they are playing the Mariners. Does all of Canada support them because they're the only Canadian team left, do they make the trip from Toronto, or are there just a ton of transplants from Toronto?

The Jays only play in Seattle once a year, so every Blue Jays fan from Regina on west who wants to see a game or two and doesn't want to go to Toronto makes the trip.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
And why not, nationwide Toronto Blue Jays fever is awesome as gently caress!!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Devon Travis to the 10 day DL after getting hit on the hand with a pitch . Poor kid can't catch a break. Right when he was heating up too. Blah

For his knee apparently though which is weird. Ugh. Would be great if the Jays could have their full starting lineup for like, a week

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/872245808518668288

why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Should've DL'ed him a couple weeks back. Awkward now that Bartolo bobblehead night is coming up on Friday.

Wisler will definitely be back to start in Saturday's doubleheader, other will be Lucas Sims or Sean Newcomb, though he'd need to get added to the 40-man.

I'm assuming that's some of the reason he's been kept active, to let him have bobblehead glory.

• Locked thread