Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Efexeye posted:

i like odd numbers of walls so i can center the doors :)

Correct. And triple-wide hallways so lights can go in the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

every single colony i've lost in this release has been due to an animal attack of some kind (playing vanilla)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
But if you build 6x6 rooms, you can give everyone double beds and center them in the room :v:

Speaking of double beds, is there some way to prevent pawns from looking at bed art, because whenever someone's looking at the art, whoever owns the bed will see their bed is in use, and just sleep in the freezer. I think that's the cause anyway :mad:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Efexeye posted:

i like odd numbers of walls so i can center the doors :)
:spergin::hf::spergin:

Danaru posted:

But if you build 6x6 rooms, you can give everyone double beds and center them in the room :v:
That's just weird.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Splicer posted:

:spergin::hf::spergin:
That's just weird.
I always use double beds because it really cuts down the annoyance when people inevitably shack up and wanna get some.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BitBasher posted:

I always use double beds because it really cuts down the annoyance when people inevitably shack up and wanna get some.
I mean putting them in the middle of the room is weird. Who has a double bed in the middle of a room? He says while building elaborate death corridors filled with fire.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Splicer posted:

I mean putting them in the middle of the room is weird. Who has a double bed in the middle of a room? He says while building elaborate death corridors filled with fire.

That's how people like to use them in real life, because it means you can both get in and out without clambering over someone.

edit: lol someone who's never shared a bed spotted

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I think he means the exact middle. Like from all four walls.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nope, only in the middle of the room on one plane, then against the wall on the other. They look weird and off-center in odd tiled rooms :saddowns:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slung Blade posted:

I think he means the exact middle. Like from all four walls.

Danaru posted:

Nope, only in the middle of the room on one plane, then against the wall on the other. They look weird and off-center in odd tiled rooms :saddowns:
Yeah I was picturing some kind of weird bed island with a giant gap between the headboard and the wall and I was very confused.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Is 6x6 the room size you need to not get workshop penalties and things to?

Better yet has anyone gone full :effort: post on some of the best quick blueprints to get up and running? I'm getting to the point where I get five colonists pretty reliably but then food or mood screw me over. Sometimes both.

I did tame my first boar, which promptly got itself eaten by a wolf :smith:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my opening game routine is this:

1. pick a spot that is hopefully defensible at least on one side
2. lay out a roofed storage zone that can accommodate everything (6*6 is usually good, with a separate zone for raw materials, chunks and stone blocks since they don't need to be roofed)
3. set all pawns to do nothing but priority 1 haul until they can get the food and meds into the shade
4. build pawns+1 number of beds
5. plant a 10*10 potato field ASAP
6. dig out and power an 11*11 fridge
7. set up a kitchen connected to the fridge
8. set up a dining room/rec room connected to the kitchen (two entrances, one only from the kitchen, and a zone for Just Meals ensures your filthy pawns don't track in mud to the whole fridge)
9. get pawns individual bedrooms
10. dig out and fit a crafting/research room

...all the while working on a 2x wide stone border wall

edit: here is my current setup as an example:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 6, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I screen for mountainous or large hills (and now river/coast + road), and then I screen a rock outcropping near the drop zone. If there's a ruin I can build off for the initial shelter, I might favor that. If there's no nearby suitable rocky areas, or handy ruins, I restart. I play on the upper difficulties and I find that generally if I can't get a base that's got shelter beds by the first night that I get ate the gently caress up pretty quickly.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I give my pawns 5x6 bedrooms, centered doors AND double beds for everyone.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

I put the double bed in the center of the room because I read at some point the pawns get the maximum benefit of spaciousness if you do. It also frees up the walls to put masses of statues, chairs, and spare fermenting barrels.

My starting strategy is to build a wood 8x8 shelter with beds, kitchen, storage, and stone cutting workbench which I use to expand that to 15x15 stone walls turning new space into workshops and freezer. Once I'm at that stage I build a seperate 15x15 building 3 spaces away with a dining room (doors near the fridge) and spacious rooms, then another with more rooms and a bigger workshop (and transform the starting shelter entirely into a freezer with double walls), then another that's entirely storage with a orbital beacon in the middle. After that it's just expanding living space, devilstrand silos, and border walls last unless there's some immediate threat to my garden (like a large heard of elephants). The garden strategy is 3x3 5x5s one-of-each and fits into my 15x15 grid very well. Placing turrets at the ends of the alleys between buildings and on the corners allows them to cover each other, and the grid system makes it great for urban-style hit-and-run combat that has been very successful for me in most cases.

Mindless fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 6, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Some objects take up clearance so you want a little buffer past the minimums and you want pawns close to the center of rooms. I've been building my rooms 6x8, but square is probably better.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Clearance

e: after reading I'm seeing that I was targeting the rather spacious room space stat which influences impressive room ownership moods and it's just roomsize*1.4, which is different from the uncramped mood buff that requires 49 visible&walkable tiles.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 7, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

enraged_camel posted:

There is a clothing repair of that removes it

Oh sick, thanks :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mindless posted:

I put the double bed in the center of the room because I read at some point the pawns get the maximum benefit of spaciousness if you do.

This is no longer true.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh sick, thanks :)

Sorry, made a typo. I meant there is a clothing repair mod that lets you remove it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735241569

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Day 5. The farm is taking shape and the refrigeration room is almost complete. We may survive this yet. Our medic just came back from a supply run and said a large band of natives is approaching. They seem friendly, but are heavily armed.

This might be just the solution to our engineer's conundrum about that strange, half buried ruin in the shadow of the nearby mountain. We've heard strange sounds from within but the rubble surrounding the building suggests there might be tech inside. If I set things up right, I can route the strangers past the section of wall we've almost breached. I can even make it look like the last of the wall collapsing was an accident. Certainly these outlanders can handle whatever may be inside...

They couldn't handle it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

do ancient ruins ever justify themselves? The last one I opened, i had to kill 3 megaspiders. I lost a guy, a bonded pet, and another really useful guy lost an arm and a leg. For my troubles I got a stack of 10 gold, a flamethrower or some thing like that, and a cryopod with a hostile lady in it who proceeded to maim another guy before she was killed in the fight.

That so very much was not worth it, that i opted to reload on an autosave and ignore it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Randy on Intense does not gently caress around in the latest release. I think I got 3 raids in a 2 day period, less than midway through my first year.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Melee sucks rear end in this game. Way too much exposure to injury, especially early-mid game when you don't have power armor and shield belt. Unless you can make clever use of terrain or buildings in order to get the jump on the enemy, you're much better off trying to kill things before they get to you, which means giving everyone ranged weapons and hiding behind turrets/sandbags as much as possible.

Tynan should just remove melee completely and focus on shooting.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

basic hitler posted:

do ancient ruins ever justify themselves? The last one I opened, i had to kill 3 megaspiders. I lost a guy, a bonded pet, and another really useful guy lost an arm and a leg. For my troubles I got a stack of 10 gold, a flamethrower or some thing like that, and a cryopod with a hostile lady in it who proceeded to maim another guy before she was killed in the fight.

That so very much was not worth it, that i opted to reload on an autosave and ignore it

IMO yes, but only mid to late game. They usually have some Luciferium and psychic artifacts in them. Also the people in the cryopods usually have some pretty good stuff on them.

And... if you're raiding a bandit camp with a ancient ruin in it, any inhabitants can be a useful bandit killer. Of course you need to deal with them afterwards, which can be a pretty big problem.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

enraged_camel posted:

Melee sucks rear end in this game. Way too much exposure to injury, especially early-mid game when you don't have power armor and shield belt. Unless you can make clever use of terrain or buildings in order to get the jump on the enemy, you're much better off trying to kill things before they get to you, which means giving everyone ranged weapons and hiding behind turrets/sandbags as much as possible.

Ranged is for killing, melee is for capturing. Blades are pointless (hurr). That "hold two weapons" mod should be core.

If you had to craft ammo then melee for murdering would be more useful but oh god no.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

enraged_camel posted:

Shooting also exposes you to a lot of injury, use turrets basically

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I structure my colonies based on feng shui principles. Face to river, back to mountain.

And everyone stoned on smokeleaf.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone have a good alternative to Redistheat? Looks like it'll still be a while before the modder has a chance to get back to it :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Danaru posted:

You can give the bedrooms double doors too :spergin:

enraged_camel posted:

In vanilla it's kind of terrible, but try the Medieval Times mod. More interesting if you start out with Tribal instead of Crashlanders.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732569232

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 7, 2017

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Oh god. Just had one of those moments.

My tamer turned a pack of local elephants manhunter in a vain attempt to tame one. they bludgeoned her almost to death and took her eye before hunting down the rest of my colony. I'm poo poo at microing so, after a short kite, two of my 3 combat-capable colonists that remained were also down. Then came Addy. She survived the bloodbath and I made her go hide in a bedroom. The elephants break the door down and I figured I was done.

Then Addy punched an elephant unconscious. The other two had drifted off to hunt for my pacifist farmer, so I made her give chase. She got to the doorway, took a potshot with her rifle and they both turned on her again. Fleeing inside, her faithful labrador Lulu blocks the elephant in the entrance and picks a fight, allowing Addy to shoot the elephant to death just after Lulu went down. The other elephant was out in the open and she finished that one off too.

That was incredible.

tl;dr My colonist with a melee skill of 3 just won a fist fight with an injured elephant, killed two more and saved every life in her colony. Except the dog, who I forgot about :smith:

Game owns.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Simple Sidearms mod is really good and doesn't do anything crazy balance-wise, check it out:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256

There's a non-default option to have pawns just switch weapons from ranged to melee when engaged, the default behavior is they drop their bow/gun. Be sure to set that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Flesh Forge posted:

The Simple Sidearms mod is really good and doesn't do anything crazy balance-wise, check it out:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256

There's a non-default option to have pawns just switch weapons from ranged to melee when engaged, the default behavior is they drop their bow/gun. Be sure to set that.

I've been wondering why they keep dropping their rifles :mad: nice to know it's optional though

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's pretty smart, if they get downed and drop their weapon they will automatically go and pick the same weapon back up when they recover. Pawns also automatically arm themselves with SOMETHING when first recruited, although not necessarily the smartest choice.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Someone had mentioned infinity pages back wanting to build floors to keep trees/bushes away so raids didn't have cover, but didn't want concrete since they wanted the raiders to be slower. Burnt wood/carpet floors are still floors thus no growing vegetation, but have 59% move speed. so build wood floors and burn them.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Things I have learned that should have been obvious in retrospect: When 5/7 of your colony is out on a caravan, now is NOT the best time to hunt down that cougar that ate one of your boars. Cougars run a LOT faster than pawns, even with the head-start a rifle gives you.

Set a no-roof area BEFORE dismantling a building or the roof will fall on your guys. They are not very smart.

Always bring medicine and extra food on caravans in case of bandit attacks or sudden cases of the flu or malaria.

Also one non-obvious thing - apparently approaching poison ship parts will trigger the mechanoids inside. I had a colonist attempt to build IEDs around a poison ship and she got shot a bunch. Fortunately her smokepop belt saved her life and she made it back to the hospital with ~2 hours to live. Of course while I got her tended to, another colonist went out to grab the mortar shell she dropped and got shot too. And then another before I just said "gently caress it" and drafted everyone. I thought you had to damage a ship to trigger the spawns though, I definitely remember surrounding a ship with ieds and popping it with a sniper rifle.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I wish diseases weren't random, but were caused by actual factors. For instance having a bunch of dead bodies in a storage area your pawns walk through regularly should cause plague. Hanging out near ponds/mud with short sleeves should cause malaria (mosquitos), etc.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine that eventually there will be more depth to disease than: Take your disease pills or risk disease. It's probably something complex enough that an update would need to be centered on it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I'm just hoping Tynan's mindset doesn't become "well, someone can mod that in."

Which is a real risk with moddable games: developers becoming complacent and putting the burden of new/improved features on modders.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I wish diseases weren't random, but were caused by actual factors. For instance having a bunch of dead bodies in a storage area your pawns walk through regularly should cause plague. Hanging out near ponds/mud with short sleeves should cause malaria (mosquitos), etc.

This might be anecdotal and useless, but I've never had malaria in an arid shrubland, though I do play on Randy, Some Challenge. I used to get it all the time in temperate forests. I've only gotten the flu and plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Moose posted:

This might be anecdotal and useless, but I've never had malaria in an arid shrubland, though I do play on Randy, Some Challenge. I used to get it all the time in temperate forests. I've only gotten the flu and plague

I'm on arid right now, and three out of my five tribespeople got the plague, and one of those was the doctor. It was OK at first, but as the doctor's own plague progressed, the 20% penalty to his manipulation prevented him from applying high enough quality treatments to the others. And he had to self-tend, which has a penalty on its own.

All three died due to basically a random stroke of luck and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.