Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you guys at the Expo.

I got Century Spice Road, The Cousins War, two Star Wars Destiny decks (any good?) and Tyranny of the Underdark. I also bought a used copy of After The Flood by Martin Wallace. I had previously gotten Magic Maze which we will be starting in a few minutes.

Because of my hearing issues I couldn't demo anything but I did watch a lot of games being played. I enjoyed myself but because of the expense it'll be a couple of years I think before I get back.

I talked with the non-Quinn guy from SUSD, stayed with Richard Breese who lives near Birmingham, and ran into Vasel and his crowd. Zee is ultra cool, love that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
I just saw that CSI has Pandemic: Legacy for sale at $30. I finally picked it up so my fiancee and I can play it before Gloomhaven arrives later this year. I've heard that it's totally fine at two players, right? Is there any option to add an additional player or two in for a few of the months, or is it just the starting team that can play through every round?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
You can very easily add or remove players as the game goes, the only downside is having to explain to them what happened in previous months, but it's not as bad as you might expect that to be, really.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

dropkickpikachu posted:

You can very easily add or remove players as the game goes, the only downside is having to explain to them what happened in previous months, but it's not as bad as you might expect that to be, really.

Awesome, good to know!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
In fact there are legitimate mechanical reasons why you might be very happy to have a new character hop in part way through the campaign. Also it plays excellently with two players, even if you're both controlling only one character (maybe a bit easy that way tbh, but whatever is fun for you and your gaming partner is best, so go nuts).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Edit- wrong thread

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Lorini posted:

I got Century Spice Road, The Cousins War, two Star Wars Destiny decks (any good?) and Tyranny of the Underdark. I also bought a used copy of After The Flood by Martin Wallace. I had previously gotten Magic Maze which we will be starting in a few minutes.

Because of my hearing issues I couldn't demo anything but I did watch a lot of games being played. I enjoyed myself but because of the expense it'll be a couple of years I think before I get back.

I talked with the non-Quinn guy from SUSD, stayed with Richard Breese who lives near Birmingham, and ran into Vasel and his crowd. Zee is ultra cool, love that guy.

Star wars destiny sounds awesome, but the CCG aspect really kills it for me personally

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Sorry I didn't get to meet you too. Half my regular group were down there for a stag night/excuse to play games, but I couldn't get another day's leave with us doing user acceptance testing on the new M&T system at work and me being off from Thursday lunch for election duties. :(

You have already played Magic Maze by now, so tell us what you think. Got my copy out for the first time at my Sunday group and everyone had a laugh riot across four or five rounds with 5-8 people. We did have to house rule that shouting "gently caress!" didn't count as communication so long as you weren't trying to signal with it, though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It was great seeing those of you I did at the Expo.

I managed to demo a few games I wanted to

Kitchen Rush Believe the Hype it is really THAT good I had been trying to get a space in the game all weekend and finally managed to Sunday afternoon. We managed to win handily though winning never felt certain since it was relatively easy to mix up orders, especially if, like me, you had couple of two plate meals on go.

Nine Worlds This was a nice looking abstract-ish area control game that was unfortunately ruined by the demonstrator getting confused about the rules (this was lunchtime on the second day) and admitting that the rulebook was very unclear.

Century : Spice Road This is basically Splendor but replacing the tactile nature of the chips with more decisions and Concordia style card play. You start with two basic action cards (take two cheap spices and upgrade two spices) and it cost a turn to pick them back up. You could also take new actions from a market row placing spice on a card to skip it. I didn't feel to need to get it right away but a friend of mine did buy a copy.

Adrenaline I went into this basically just to kill time waiting for friends to arrive do we could try codenames duet (which I never got time to try; the big disappointment with the weekend) but I was pleasantly surprised. We did only play a shortened version of course so I don't know if a full game will outstay its welcome.

I also tried out Costa Rica which was OK and little game system built around those cognitive tests where the name of a colour is written in a different colour.

I ended up buying Space Alert, two boxes of Warhammer Diskwars, Keyflower merchants, Mystic Vale, a bunch of bargain bin Summoner wars stuff, Dominion Hinterlands, a copy of Fiasco, a neat looking realtime tile layer called 4Gods and of course 1830

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magic Maze was pretty funny, even with two. Was thinking of getting a small water gun for those desperate times :). I'm really looking forward to playing with more!

We played Star Wars Destiny as well, even though the FFG rules were horrible as usual. Not sure about it....ruminating on it or Runewars Miniatures.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh man were they demoing Magic Maze at the UKGE? Also feel bad I didn't manage to talk to all the goons that went, would have been nice to meet more people.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tekopo posted:

Oh man were they demoing Magic Maze at the UKGE? Also feel bad I didn't manage to talk to all the goons that went, would have been nice to meet more people.

I do remember seeing some copies around but I can quite remember if that was on the show floor or in open​ gaming...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So Magic Maze vs. Burgle Bros? MM seems like it's getting the popularity, but I think there was a post upthread that said they liked BB more?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Nope, I shouldn't have implied that. I got Magic Maze from boardgamebliss last week just as I was leaving for the UK.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

So Magic Maze vs. Burgle Bros? MM seems like it's getting the popularity, but I think there was a post upthread that said they liked BB more?

I've not played Burgle Bros sorry.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Is Burgle Bros real time?

Wouldn't it be more like Kitchen Rush vs. Magic Maze?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Burgle Bros is not real time, no.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Huh, I guess I was under a wrong assumption. For some reason I had it in my head that it was real time burglary too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rumda posted:

I do remember seeing some copies around but I can quite remember if that was on the show floor or in open​ gaming...

I got my copy from my local shop in the UK last week.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit posted:

I got my copy from my local shop in the UK last week.
What are your thoughts about it? Worth the purchase?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lorini posted:

We bumped into Zee walking up from the hotel on Sunday and chatted for a while. That was pretty cool. Cheap expo for me as I only bought The Lost Expedition. Everything else was interested in was a bit expensive on the floor compared to online so I saved my cash for now.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Put four hours into 3p intro game of new Through the Ages. Seemed really rad and something I can't wait to get on the table with the wars and aggressions in the mix, and with the third age, now that basics shouldn't take so long. Also something I doubt I'll open up for four ever unless it is weekend and beer is involved.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I was at the expo on Saturday with a couple of friends. There wasn't a huge amount I managed to see or demo, but we were around for the big demo of City of Kings which looked a lot like Mage Knight except I didn't hate it. We walked past the Kitchen Rush booth a bunch of times and it was always full, which seems to bode well although I didn't get to try it.

I picked up Feast for Odin and Eminent Domain with the expansions, which Seth Jaffe very kindly signed for me.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Lunsku posted:

Put four hours into 3p intro game of new Through the Ages. Seemed really rad and something I can't wait to get on the table with the wars and aggressions in the mix, and with the third age, now that basics shouldn't take so long. Also something I doubt I'll open up for four ever unless it is weekend and beer is involved.

Our copy arrived Friday or Saturday (forgot) and we've hammered it hard. Usually taken a 30 min break around Age II to put some meat on the BBQ or jump in the pool. It's a solid game and the way the cards move down makes each game different. Cost £35 ($40) and it is really good value for money. Recommend it to every goon. Only downside is that I can see it dragging a bit for 4 players. I'd say it's in its prime at 3 player but 2 player is excellent too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

What are your thoughts about it? Worth the purchase?

I gave my thoughts earlier.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Is there anyone who has played both Kitchen Rush and Magic Maze? The mechanics seem different enough outside of the RT aspect, but I was still curious as to how to they compared.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone know anything about this hot new kickstarter for Lord of Hellas? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/lords-of-hellas

I know some great games come out of kickstarter, but I just don't think I'm the type of consumer that wants to buy things this way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone know anything about this hot new kickstarter for Lord of Hellas? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/lords-of-hellas

I know some great games come out of kickstarter, but I just don't think I'm the type of consumer that wants to buy things this way.
Why not? There's a lot more consumer protection in KS than there used to be.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sometimes you just don't wanna to be the first one out of the foxhole.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

I've backed 46 projects over five years and all but 7 have come in; three of those seven are recent pledges, two will be in soon (Ben Robbins' Follow and Blades in the Dark POD), one is a video game (Bard's Tale), and one is Alas Vegas, which ... probably will come in eventually. Not all 46 have been or will be in retail -- they hit enough of their market with the KS, or were pretty niche things.

My experience with Kickstarter has been good throughout, but it got significantly better once I learned to recognize a good game when I saw it. That usually means finished rules that I can see while it is being Kickstarted, and/or a proven designer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you make sure to stick with a "no rules, no pledge" philosophy when picking KSes, you should do fine.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

If you make sure to stick with a "no rules, no pledge" philosophy when picking KSes, you should do fine.

No rules, no pledge
Know rules, know pledge

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm not concerned about the game not finishing, I just don't know if the game is going to be any good. Video gamers know not to pre-order games and these KS games are even more expensive.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

My Kickstarter Senses say that this game will be garbage.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

homullus posted:

No rules, no pledge
Know rules, know pledge

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

We discussed this in the TG Kickstarter thread. General consensus was it looked mediocre and overpriced, and it had titty minis. There's a Day 1 pledge exclusive that is leading a lot of people to hop on (so more bullshit), but from comments about a fair few of them are planning to hop right off again if they don't see a rulebook and demo.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Miniatures renders in KS games are like those photo jobs of fast food where they're all like "we'd love to sell you this" (picture of juicy burger straight from an ad) "but you're getting this" (picture of limp pale excuse of actual sandwich from over the counter)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Concept mini's. Buyer beware.

Also a game worth its salt will be available to buy shortly after backers get it mailed to them, sometimes for a bit more, but $10 is usually worth it to not gamble on an unproven product. I will KS stuff like gloomhaven the second time, where its a glorified reprint preorder of a known good. Or something that explodes insanely like the last Sentinels expansion where its just a ridiculous amount of stretch goals in and little bonus things in a game where that stuff is actually useful.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Jedit posted:

We discussed this in the TG Kickstarter thread. General consensus was it looked mediocre and overpriced, and it had titty minis. There's a Day 1 pledge exclusive that is leading a lot of people to hop on (so more bullshit), but from comments about a fair few of them are planning to hop right off again if they don't see a rulebook and demo.

Is that the right link? I can't tell what I'm looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

Is that the right link? I can't tell what I'm looking at.

Haha, no. He linked a random thread in FYAD for some reason. Posts in question start here.