Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

exploded mummy posted:

Yes, I agree that the document that was created 4 days before it was leaked does not indicate some form of an ongoing investigation.

From what's out so far it sounds like six whole people read the thing. That's not exactly an active staff. Could just as easily be one angry staffer trying to make noise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Faustian Bargain posted:

So what is the proper mechanism for leaks anyway? Seems like transcribing them would make it easy to question the validity. Or is the problem that The Intercept is stupid for posting the real documents?

The newspaper itself can have the raw document that they can refer to for verification. But they don't publish it. If you don't trust the NYT to accurately report a document in their possession you're not going to trust the copy of it they publish either.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Please God.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what's out so far it sounds like six whole people read the thing. That's not exactly an active staff. Could just as easily be one angry staffer trying to make noise.

Six people printed it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, the basic rule seems to be "if you can get a copy in a way that doesn't stand out or isn't noticeable to the higher ups, secure drop it to WaPo or NYT or just dump it into the mail."

She did drop it in the mail

The intercept told their confirmation source where it was postmarked from and what subcontractor they thought their source worked for

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Again, so do zoning laws.

I feel like maybe I'm not explaining myself well here.

If my city council makes a decision about zoning law, that's a legal decision, but not a moral one, not necessarily. If they zone an area for a charity hospital or public park, that might be a positive moral choice, but only because building a park or a hospital might be moral, not because zoning law is moral.

Similarly, the decision to classify a given document does not give it holy imprimatur. If a document needs to be classified for legit national security reasons, then it's classification is moral because of those national security reasons, not because of the fact of classification by itself.

Here specifically, if there's a document that explains how Russia hacked the election and that therefore shows Trump's election may have been suspect, Trump has a sinister motive to keep such evidence secret; basically, there is an inherent conflict of interest, because Trump, and anyone who holds office by his authority or appointment, have a personal incentive to keep such evidence hidden and secret, because it could lead to the loss of their jobs.

A lot of people who work with classified documents seem to believe that classification itself is a moral good, worthy of respect in the abstract, regardless of content or motive for the classification. That viewpoint is morally bankrupt.

The fact that you're having to break this down in such simple terms -- to wit, "this is what a conflict of interest can look like" -- summarizes for me the last year of US history.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/872128853380038657

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Meanwhile, Mike Pence is tweeting about bees.

Not that it's newsworthy or anything, and bee hives are cool. I just can't actually picture him having any plans involving bees that aren't utterly sinister.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

Few pages back

You know, I'd say the same if it weren't for the fact both the major third parties sported morons who knew less about government than Trump does.

that's the definition of a third party candidate

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The Glumslinger posted:

She did drop it in the mail

The intercept told their confirmation source where it was postmarked from and what subcontractor they thought their source worked for

Dump it into the mail to NYT or WaPo, I mean.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am still waiting for him to shoot someone on the street. Shooting at his own feet while shouting "Dance boy! dance!" will do for now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Glumslinger posted:

She did drop it in the mail

The intercept told their confirmation source where it was postmarked from and what subcontractor they thought their source worked for

Wait, what? Source?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im amazed that there are people left who dont realize or are still shocked that the presidency to him was just a huge cash grab.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

So even though this person broke federal law "Prosecution of the executive was declined"

quote:

Lastly, the OIG found that the executive lacked candor and provided false statements to the
OIG in relation to the executivefs conduct in the above]described matters, in violation of federal
statute and regulation. Prosecution of the executive was declined.

What the gently caress?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eviltastic posted:

Meanwhile, Mike Pence is tweeting about bees.

Not that it's newsworthy or anything, and bee hives are cool. I just can't actually picture him having any plans involving bees that aren't utterly sinister.

Let me guess, he's not talking about how the Trump EPA will kill more bees.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spun Dog posted:

So even though this person broke federal law "Prosecution of the executive was declined"

What the gently caress?

Can people not write articles any more

Must everything be tweets and image based PDF files

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

My worry is that, despite all the hype, the Comey interview will just be like, "I don't want to interfere with an ongoing investigation" and "Mueller has all the documents that I had available" and a bunch of non-answers. It's my worry, and also probably the most realistic outcome.

My hope, though, is that he says something to the effect of, "we have verifiable and undeniable proof that Russia has blackmail material on Trump, he and key members of his Administration have been actively colluding with Russia for years, he fired me to purposefully obstruct justice, and Trump is hosed forever."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Awesome

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/872137887931711488

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wait, what? Source?

It's in the sworn affidavit attached to the arrest warrant

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what's out so far it sounds like six whole people read the thing. That's not exactly an active staff. Could just as easily be one angry staffer trying to make noise.

6 people printed a hard copy of a classified document.

You uh, realize that there are secured air gapped viewing rooms where you can go and look at stuff these days without getting a hard copy right.

You don't even need to dangle from the ceiling to do so.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/872137319456935938

I loving love when people see the bed they made.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wait, what? Source?

quote:

On or about May 24, 2017, a reporter for the News Outlet (the “Reporter”) contacted another U.S. Government Agency affiliate with whom he has a prior relationship. This individual works for a contractor for the U.S. Government (the “Contractor”). The Reporter contacted the Contractor via text message and asked him to review certain documents. The Reporter told the Contractor that the Reporter had received the documents through the mail, and they were postmarked “Augusta. Georgia.” WINNER resides in Augusta, Georgia. The Reporter believed that the documents were sent to him from someone working at the location where WINNER works. The Reporter took pictures of the documents and sent them to the Contractor. The Reporter asked the Contractor to determine the veracity of the documents. The Contractor informed the Reporter that he thought that the documents were fake. Nonetheless, the Contractor contacted the U.S. Government Agency on or about June 1, 2017, to inform the U.S. Government Agency of his interaction with the Reporter. Also on June 1, 2017, the Reporter texted the Contractor and said that a U.S Government Agency official had verified that the document was real.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2017/06/06/did-the-intercept-bungle-nsa-leak/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.4d42d8802766

Its a quote directly from the search warrant

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Spun Dog posted:

So even though this person broke federal law "Prosecution of the executive was declined"

What the gently caress?

They're literally above the law. They can break federal law on more than a dozen occasions, blatantly lie to the investigator, retaliate against anyone who refused to also break federal law, and all they get will be a referral back to the same agency this dude is an executive in, and a mention to the Special Counsel's office that has a lot bigger fish to fry. This isn't even the slap-on-the-wrist-for-appearances-sake. There's no longer any oversight anywhere.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Has there been any Trump weed stories we can post on this, the four hundred and twentieth page of Trump Thread Mk. 2?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can people not write articles any more

Must everything be tweets and image based PDF files

A lot of the big deal stuff that Snowden leaked had been leaked by other whistleblowers before, but the media refused to believe the truth without the power point slides.

People still don't know about room 641A.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crows Turn Off posted:

My worry is that, despite all the hype, the Comey interview will just be like, "I don't want to interfere with an ongoing investigation" and "Mueller has all the documents that I had available" and a bunch of non-answers. It's my worry, and also probably the most realistic outcome.

My hope, though, is that he says something to the effect of, "we have verifiable and undeniable proof that Russia has blackmail material on Trump, he and key members of his Administration have been actively colluding with Russia for years, he fired me to purposefully obstruct justice, and Trump is hosed forever."

He wouldn't have pushed for a public hearing if he wasn't gonna say anything in public

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I've resigned myself to the fact that I will get no work done Thursday morning.

I'm hyped.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

A lot of the big deal stuff that Snowden leaked had been leaked by other whistleblowers before, but the media refused to believe the truth without the power point slides.

People still don't know about room 641A.

Thats also why he fled before leaking. He knew they'd quickly figure out it was him.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Uh. Is it, like ... okay for him to be saying that? Or does it not matter now that the original document's out in the open?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jesus christ. She was a terrible leaker and would have gotten caught anyway but the Intercept should just fold right now while they still have a shred of dignity left because nobody in their right mind will ever pass them information ever again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

dont even fink about it posted:

NYT reports that Sessions is in Trump's doghouse because he recused himself, thereby causing all these legal problems in Trump's mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/...v=top-news&_r=0

(Trump's mind almost certainly being poisoned by staffers who don't like Sessions)

I pretty clearly remember some reporting on Trump being torqued about Sessions recusing himself right after it happened, I don't think this is smoke and I don't think it's a new thing either.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

My worry is that, despite all the hype, the Comey interview will just be like, "I don't want to interfere with an ongoing investigation" and "Mueller has all the documents that I had available" and a bunch of non-answers. It's my worry, and also probably the most realistic outcome.

My hope, though, is that he says something to the effect of, "we have verifiable and undeniable proof that Russia has blackmail material on Trump, he and key members of his Administration have been actively colluding with Russia for years, he fired me to purposefully obstruct justice, and Trump is hosed forever."

He refused to attend unless the hearing was public.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/872137319456935938

I loving love when people see the bed they made.

Sounds like he's deeply concerned and this is all very troubling

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

He refused to attend unless the hearing was public.

You know how he likes to grandstand.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Alex_Panetta/status/872139739893248000

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So just what would happen if trump followed through on his election promise of shooting someone on 5th avenue in broad daylight? I know republicans would back him and all but like, do the police arrest him? Can they even do that without impeachment first?

I mean, I'm obviously using this as a proxy for when he incriminate himself numerous time and nothing comes of it, but I'm, I guess, a tiny bit serious. Sorta.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope everyone in the Trump Administration gets metaphorically sodomized from here on. Of course, I can only hope. :arghfist::(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spun Dog posted:

So even though this person broke federal law "Prosecution of the executive was declined"

What the gently caress?

He also retaliated against subordinates who didn't hire hid friends. I don't know why that was in a PS paragraph.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can people not write articles any more

Must everything be tweets and image based PDF files

Here's the text

quote:

INVESTIGATIVE SUMMARY
Findings Concerning Improper Hiring Practices, Inappropriate Interactions with Subordinates
and a Contractor, and False Statements by a Senior Executive with the
Executive Office for Immigration Review

The Department of Justice (DOJ) Office of the Inspector General (OIG) initiated an investigation
of a senior executive with the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) based on
information it received from DOJ that the official engaged in inappropriate hiring practices,
used non]public information to benefit friends, solicited and accepted gifts from subordinates,
maintained inappropriate relationships with subordinates, and participated in an inappropriate
quid pro quo scheme with a contract company.

The OIG found that the executive engaged in improper hiring practices when, on seven
separate occasions, the executive disregarded merit system principles to hire close friends and
associates as DOJ employees or DOJ contract personnel over applicants with superior
qualifications for the positions.
The OIG also found that the executive initiated and approved
the promotion of a friend before the individual was eligible for promotion, nominated a friend
for a monetary award without sufficient justification, and promoted a friend who lacked
qualifications for the position. The
OIG further found that the executive disclosed to friends
and acquaintances non]public information about job opportunities on a pending DOJ contract,
and advocated for increasing contractor salaries in support of friends
. The OIG found that this
conduct violated federal statutes, federal regulations, and DOJ policy.

In addition, the OIG found that the executive maintained an inappropriate personal relationship
with a subordinate, and solicited and accepted gifts and donations from subordinates, in
violation of federal statutes and regulations, and DOJ policy
. The OIG investigation further
concluded that the executive engaged in an inappropriate scheme with a DOJ contractor in
which the executive sought employment and training from the contractor for personal friends
in exchange for the executive actively participating in the creation and awarding of a purchase
agreement of substantial monetary value to the contractor, in violation of federal statutes and
regulations.

2
Lastly, the OIG found that the executive lacked candor and provided false statements to the
OIG in relation to the executivefs conduct in the above]described matters, in violation of federal
statute and regulation. Prosecution of the executive was declined.

The OIG has completed its investigation and provided this report to EOIR for appropriate action.

The OIG also referred to the U.S. Office of Special Counsel its findings that the executive
retaliated against employees who refused to hire the executivefs friends.

Posted to oig.justice.gov on June 6, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JoelJoel posted:

So just what would happen if trump followed through on his election promise of shooting someone on 5th avenue in broad daylight? I know republicans would back him and all but like, do the police arrest him? Can they even do that without impeachment first?

I mean, I'm obviously using this as a proxy for when he incriminate himself numerous time and nothing comes of it, but I'm, I guess, a tiny bit serious. Sorta.

What color is the person

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Glumslinger posted:

He wouldn't have pushed for a public hearing if he wasn't gonna say anything in public

For all we know, it's because he wants to reassure the public that nothing concerning the public took place. Certainly nothing that would place his beloved Republican party in a bad light.

  • Locked thread