Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Part one of the Mark Crossfield + Andy Sullivan rematch is up here so the rest should be posted later today and tomorrow.

You son of a bitch. Now I have to wait to watch instead of marathoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Farking Bastage posted:

I live on I-10 in the Florida Panhandle. I feel ya. Talk about a boring drive.

I feel you, I used to live in Tallahassee :)

Kameh posted:

He wouldn't be there until 7 pm tomorrow!

WELL WHOSE FAULT IS THAT

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Can I ask a question about wedges?

I have never had anything other than a pitching wedge, but after some time in the beach on Monday I want to get at least a SW. My clubs are lofted like Ping Karsten 1s, which as far as I have been able to gather from the internet (I have emailed Ping directly but no reply so far) gives me the following:
3 -- 21.5*
4 -- 25*
5 -- 28.5
6 -- 32*
7 -- 36*
8 -- 40
9 -- 45*
W -- 50.5*

I'm thinking I should probably get a 56* and 60* wedge?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
You don't need both a 56 and a 60, especially if both are your first lofted wedges. Maybe use a 56 or a 58 and then put in a 5 wood or a hybrid in your bag.

Edit - I'm mainly discouraging both a 56 and a 60 because you might not hit them far enough apart to need both. I'd take your W to a simulator and test out a 52, 56, and 60 alongside your W to see which club(s) eliminate(s) gaps in your yardage.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 4, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Can I ask a question about wedges?

I have never had anything other than a pitching wedge, but after some time in the beach on Monday I want to get at least a SW. My clubs are lofted like Ping Karsten 1s, which as far as I have been able to gather from the internet (I have emailed Ping directly but no reply so far) gives me the following:
3 -- 21.5*
4 -- 25*
5 -- 28.5
6 -- 32*
7 -- 36*
8 -- 40
9 -- 45*
W -- 50.5*

I'm thinking I should probably get a 56* and 60* wedge?
Yeah, a 56* sand wedge will help you a lot but you have to learn the proper technique for greenside bunker shots. It's different than a normal chip.

A 60* will also be useful later on but you probably don't need it now.

You definitely don't need to be carrying that 3 iron but since you aren't at 14 clubs anyway, I guess there's no harm.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I hadn't thought of hitting a simulator, good idea.

I hit my long irons pretty well generally, and also have a 3 and 5 wood bagged, out of habit mostly.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There are plenty of tour players who have a PW (typically like 46-48 degrees with their sets) and two other wedges, although most probably have PW plus three others. It all comes down to personal preference and technique, you won't know what lofts will suit you best until you've hit different ones and gotten an idea of your yardages with them and which ones you like to use around the green.

I picked up an Apex 3 hybrid last week and I'm very tempted to get the 4h now too. A nice easy swing with the 3h is ~195 carry and I have no problem taking 5 yards off that or hitting a harder draw that carries 210-215. I was practicing last night and didn't hit a single bad shot with it out of around a dozen swings. Usually it just flies dead straight or with a tiny fade for me, whereas every other hybrid I've hit has wanted to hook. You can tell the Apex ones are designed to counter that though with their shape and weighting. Hell, I'm even considering the 2h instead of my 4 wood.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Suprfli6 posted:

There are plenty of tour players who have a PW (typically like 46-48 degrees with their sets) and two other wedges, although most probably have PW plus three others. It all comes down to personal preference and technique, you won't know what lofts will suit you best until you've hit different ones and gotten an idea of your yardages with them and which ones you like to use around the green.

I picked up an Apex 3 hybrid last week and I'm very tempted to get the 4h now too. A nice easy swing with the 3h is ~195 carry and I have no problem taking 5 yards off that or hitting a harder draw that carries 210-215. I was practicing last night and didn't hit a single bad shot with it out of around a dozen swings. Usually it just flies dead straight or with a tiny fade for me, whereas every other hybrid I've hit has wanted to hook. You can tell the Apex ones are designed to counter that though with their shape and weighting. Hell, I'm even considering the 2h instead of my 4 wood.

Yeah, at this point I have a reasonable idea of how much to choke up/open up with the PW to make different distances, but getting that extra loft out of the bunker would be ideal. Plus, a higher drop and stop approach would be good for some greens too I expect.

So the advantage of a hybrid over a long iron is, what? Longer distance? Easier through the rough? I've been using my 5 wood for that purpose--of course, its so old it as a small enough head to practically be considered a hybrid at this point. What are the other considerations?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

So the advantage of a hybrid over a long iron is, what? Longer distance? Easier through the rough? I've been using my 5 wood for that purpose--of course, its so old it as a small enough head to practically be considered a hybrid at this point. What are the other considerations?

Pretty much this, a combination of being a bit easier to launch, cuts through the rough better than a long iron and is less prone to twisting through the thickest rough. They tend to be a little shorter shaft length then woods which can help with control as well.

Played a medal at a new course on the weekend, went pretty well and managed to take a stroke of my handicap. I did have to laugh though after posting about the "keep your head down" playing partner the other day, I ended up playing with one of those guys who's off 6 more stroke but spend the entire round telling you what you've done wrong. Wonderful examples of his advice were: "You bring your irons down too steeply, this means your giving up distance." After I hit a 7 iron pin high about 5m offline. "You need to swing your driver harder." As I said new course and a stroke round so I was dialling back a bit to play fairway finders also not really knowing the layout of the course, it's stroke not stableford or par or and ambrose, of course I'm not trying to knock the cover off it. I just did the polite smile and nod and move on with my round, but some people need to worry about their own round.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Unsolicited advice is the worst. No matter how bad someone is playing, unless they ask, ignore their mistakes and try to have fun.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
5, 4, 3 hybrids own......get them.

Although I could still get away with a 5 iron I don't bother anymore. The 4, 3 are no-brainers.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Wedge talk:
I carry a GW(50) SW(54) LW(58) in addition to the 4-PW in my set. Really the 4 iron is a punch out tool. I carry one fairway wood and a 21 degree(4) Hybrid. Many of my local courses are pretty short so the extra wedge between 110 and 80 comes in handy for me. For some reason I can hit the 4 hybrid just fine, but I have no confidence in a 2 or 3 hybrid. Just can't hit them.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Wedge talk:
I carry a GW(50) SW(54) LW(58) in addition to the 4-PW in my set. Really the 4 iron is a punch out tool. I carry one fairway wood and a 21 degree(4) Hybrid. Many of my local courses are pretty short so the extra wedge between 110 and 80 comes in handy for me. For some reason I can hit the 4 hybrid just fine, but I have no confidence in a 2 or 3 hybrid. Just can't hit them.

I made a mistake on the weekend, played a new course but didn't change my setup from my local course where I carry a 2 & 3 utility irons then a 5 iron (It does add a gap but out of 10 rounds I'd say I felt the need for the 4 iron maybe once at my local) along with the same wedge lofts you have. I should have take out the 3 utility for my 4 iron. I have no idea why but I hit my 2 utility really consistently but the 3 utility I have a real problem with an occasional snap hook. Both the same brand, Callaway X Utility from a few years ago, they are a happy medium between the more recent utility irons and a hybrid. Hybrids I can't get along with for some reason.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Summit posted:

Unsolicited advice is the worst. No matter how bad someone is playing, unless they ask, ignore their mistakes and try to have fun.

This, forever.

I usually ask them when they qualified for their teaching certification.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

This, forever.

I usually ask them when they qualified for their teaching certification.

It was a real bummer, because it's a place I'm looking at joining so I didn't want to do anything that may get around given I don't know who the guy is at the club. What I do if I know them is wait for their next bad shot and give them the same advice they gave me, no matter if it made any sense to do so. You do that once or twice and they get the point.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Keyser_Soze posted:

5, 4, 3 hybrids own......get them.

Although I could still get away with a 5 iron I don't bother anymore. The 4, 3 are no-brainers.

My 5 iron I hit just fine, and I've also spent a decent amount of time working on distance control with it for punch-outs since I can keep it low and curve it either direction. My 4 iron I have more of a love/hate relationship with, and I think a hybrid might be more consistent for me. It probably doesn't help that I bought the 4i separately from my 5-PW and it is .5" long and has a larger grip.

I really need to get an iron fitting done but there's nobody local who really seems to know what they're doing. Having a teacher/fitter tell you that only pros need to know their spin numbers and ball speed is kinda discouraging...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah, newer 5 irons are now prob. I just like the high easy bombs with the 5h. I don't have time to practice much anymore and have a janky back anyway so I don't care anymore. :corsair:

I was under several trees yesterday and usually just punch out with the 4h or even a choked down 5w. I used to keep an old 3 iron in the bag for just that occasion but the alternatives are obviously more useful for me in other places.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Keyser_Soze posted:

yeah, newer 5 irons are now prob. I just like the high easy bombs with the 5h. I don't have time to practice much anymore and have a janky back anyway so I don't care anymore. :corsair:

I was under several trees yesterday and usually just punch out with the 4h or even a choked down 5w. I used to keep an old 3 iron in the bag for just that occasion but the alternatives are obviously more useful for me in other places.

My dad put a wedge shaft on a 2 iron and could hit low punches with it beautifully. It was his rescue club and he'd hit around the green with it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

torgeaux posted:

My dad put a wedge shaft on a 2 iron and could hit low punches with it beautifully. It was his rescue club and he'd hit around the green with it.

This is a really interesting idea. I might see if I can get my club fitter to build me one for fun haha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's... really clever, yeah. That'd be fun to try out.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Damnit Bastage, stop hanging out at Edwin Watts during lunch break!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

You son of a bitch. Now I have to wait to watch instead of marathoning.

So the Andy Sullivan rematch was pretty good. He's just a really funny guy and it's great to see a side of a pro other than their typical competition demeanor. He was busting Lockey's balls pretty thoroughly but luckily Coach deals with Crossfield 24/7 so I doubt it phased him lol.

Rick Shiels and Peter Finch also just did a skins match against Carly Booth who is a euro pro they've had on their channels once or twice before, and she was pretty impressive. Her driver clubhead speed has to be near the top for female pros which I wish the women's tours would reward a bit more with yardages and layouts.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Who's the dickhead who left his 56 deg Taylor Made TP EF Grind wedge next to a green and forgot to pick it up? This guy :(

Think I'll just get a Cleveland or something cheap to replace it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Man. On the one hand, after a round and a couple of buckets of balls, I am seeing the swing tweeks have improved the straightness of my irons, and even the fairway woods off the deck are long and straight. But the driver is taking mad peels to the right, even with the slowest of swings and an extremely forward ball placement.

Golf.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Get some video of yourself and youtube it so we can laugh at it see what you're doing

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Who's the dickhead who left his 56 deg Taylor Made TP EF Grind wedge next to a green and forgot to pick it up? This guy :(

Think I'll just get a Cleveland or something cheap to replace it.

I did this with my 60 deg but it was like a $4 club from the used golf store and STILL nobody turned it in :(

Bilirubin posted:

But the driver is taking mad peels to the right, even with the slowest of swings and an extremely forward ball placement.

Open club face and closed club path. Choke up and hit a double out to right field with that bad boy, and make sure you get the face closed! :)

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

Man. On the one hand, after a round and a couple of buckets of balls, I am seeing the swing tweeks have improved the straightness of my irons, and even the fairway woods off the deck are long and straight. But the driver is taking mad peels to the right, even with the slowest of swings and an extremely forward ball placement.

Golf.

I could be wrong, but I've often felt that putting the ball too far forward in your stance can lead to open face syndrome. I feel as though I'm having to reach to get the club face to the ball , and if the ball is too far forward it's a lot tougher to turn that clubhead over when the club is already past your front foot.

But maybe your extreme placement is the same as I"m thinking.

This is also coming from a guy who had the worst round of his life with a driver last weekend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fuuuucccccccck yesssssss

RE: this year's US Open

Awful Announcing posted:

One of the best innovations to hit golf in recent years, Fox will implement shot-tracers at all 18 holes. Nine holes will have Toptracer technology so you’ll see the ball trace live over video. The other nine holes will have Trackman radar. Those holes will have ball tracing as well as enhanced data, meaning you will see a side-by-side shot of the live tee shot and a graphic representation of the hole.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

fuuuucccccccck yesssssss

RE: this year's US Open

:getin:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmW-tTvIH28

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

hahahha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man i'd been looking for this for so long, thank you :cheers:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So the guys had to cut my driver shaft an inch and a half from the tip to fix it. It's now 43 inches, and he said it's playing between extra stiff and double x. Bringing my backup driver along to see how much it changed. Practice swings feel very much like I'm swinging a steel pole.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Sooo... beginner-to-intermediate question: are hybrids generally considered easier to hit than irons? Why? Bigger sweet spot? Something else?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Sooo... beginner-to-intermediate question: are hybrids generally considered easier to hit than irons? Why? Bigger sweet spot? Something else?
Hybrids have a higher MOI so mishits are less penalized but importantly they have a lower CG so it's easier to get the ball up in the air and the wide sole is more forgiving if you have a tendency to chunk your irons, which most amateurs do.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I got an x-stiff shaft for my (backup) Nike Vapor Fly. I took the Fly and the 1.5" tipped Cobra to the course yesterday. The Cobra now has a lower ball flight, but I think it still carries roughly the same. The wind conditions were different, so I was in different spots than I normally am, but some were better, some were not as great. And aside from the ball flight being lower, there's not quite as much side spin as before, so that's cool. I did hit a couple of snap hooks, but those were my fault. I hit the Fly and Cobra side by side on a few holes, but while the Fly carried farther, there was very little roll out. Maybe it'll be a "wet conditions" driver?

Bogey free felt really good, but this round could have been something really special.
  • Had 227 in to the par 5 second, and I thinned a hybrid short-right of the green, then bladed my 3rd across the green. Made a 3 footer for par.

• Hit a neat 3/4 wedge from 77 yards on 4 and rolled in a 12 footer for birdie.

• Got up and down from 30 yards on 5.

• Hooked my drive near a cul-de-sac on 6, but I was far enough left that I had an opening to the green.

• Got up and down from a waste bunker on 7.

• Hit not one, but TWO fences on 8 lol. Snap hooked a drive, and it bounced off a fence but ricocheted into the rough. Decided to play aggressive and hit a hybrid, and I topped it into the next section of fence. It bounced to the 150 pole. I thinned a 9 through the green, got up and down for par.

• Two putted from a mile away on 11.

• I misread putts inside 10 feet on holes 12, 13, 14, and 15. I hit every putt where I wanted, and they all caught a piece of the hole, but none fell. 14 was frustrating because I had maybe 8 feet for eagle. 15 was a simple chip onto the green after a decent 3w near the front.

• I misclubbed and went long into 17, but I two putted from 60 feet. Felt good.

• Tried to be aggressive with my birdie chance on 18 (to get into the 60s), but I ran a 20 foot birdie putt 6 feet by. Drained it before I let myself get nervous over it.
Feels good man.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Nice round, bogey free 18 is something I've never managed to put together.

The Sunday forecast here is 92 and sunny and I'm playing in a scramble that is going to play as eight-somes. I think it may kill me, either via heatstroke or alcohol poisoning or suicide after playing 8 holes in 4 hours or whatever.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Jesus Christ. That sounds like my personal Hell. Easily a 7 hour round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what the gently caress course approved 8 person scrambles :psyduck:

Kameh posted:

Jesus Christ. That sounds like my personal Hell. Easily a 7 hour round.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

Nice round, bogey free 18 is something I've never managed to put together.

The Sunday forecast here is 92 and sunny and I'm playing in a scramble that is going to play as eight-somes. I think it may kill me, either via heatstroke or alcohol poisoning or suicide after playing 8 holes in 4 hours or whatever.

So 8 people tee off at every hole? Who would ever organize a tournament like this?