Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have done this new season then? It's pretty lovely to take in all that money and then rush out a mediocre product because of time constraints. Do it right or don't do it at all.

I guess that depends on whether you believe the show's return was 100% funded by their Kickstarter; or, that the Kickstarter was just a way to show potential investors and networks (like Netflix) that there was definite interest in a revival of the show, and that said investors provided additional funding to get things done, and that they might then start pressuring Joel and company to do things ASAP for a quick turnaround on their investment. I know which one of the two possibilities I'd say is the more likely to have happened.

Or I dunno, maybe you're fine with production budgets just ballooning out of control, in which case I can only say that I haven't seen "Heaven's Gate" yet, Mr. Cimino. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Tenzarin posted:

I really wonder if they had to pay to license all the pop songs they sang. Does having a car on the screen warrant fair use of lowrider?

I haven't gotten to that one yet, but if it's just a line or two, it's fair use.

Also, apparently you've forgotten they did stuff like that all the time on the old show. Tom replying "Where you going with that gun in your hand?" when a character says "Hey Joe," Mike singing a few bars of "Isn't She Lovely" when a character is waving his head back and forth kinda like Stevie Wonder, Tom singing "Broken Glass" along with the credits music to "Time Chasers"... I mean, if you didn't like it then either, fine, but it's nothing new.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even if they had to pay to sing a song (they don't unless they sing a preponderance of the entire song), it's WAY cheaper than licensing the actual song so it wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Source: I'm a musician.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

like a cigarette should posted:

MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA KNOCKED ME DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN.................................................................................................

AGAIN

That's my all-time favorite host segment.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I liked this season and it's ok to not like it. When people think fondly on older episodes, they generally have a few favourites and maybe a dozen or so other episodes they think of as a whole. Out of 200.

I didn't really notice "pop songs" being overused. In fact I can't even think of one from this season, but I'm sure there were some if it bugs that guy that much.

I'd love another season of this as is. They're only going to get better as time goes on and it was pretty good already.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I recognize a lot of the pop songs used in this season and they never annoyed me because it's used every other episode.

I remember a TLC song and Baby Got Back being used in a Mike episodes so pop song references aren't a new terrible thing.

Don't go chasing waterfalls!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, why the gently caress does this Cry Wilderness kid look so familiar? I checked his IMDB, and I don't think I've seen any of his other films...but something about him keeps reminding me of something.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, why the gently caress does this Cry Wilderness kid look so familiar? I checked his IMDB, and I don't think I've seen any of his other films...but something about him keeps reminding me of something.

That's probably one of those glitches in your matrix that the kids talk about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Compendium posted:

I recognize a lot of the pop songs used in this season and they never annoyed me because it's used every other episode.

I remember a TLC song and Baby Got Back being used in a Mike episodes so pop song references aren't a new terrible thing.

Don't go chasing waterfalls!
I saw that one when I was young, so it's cool and new and exciting and hilarious.

I did not see this season, and now I am middle aged and cynical. Strangely enough, I feel it sucks and was trying too hard.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Are people forgetting the "SESSIONS PRESENTS..." running gag from Tormented?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
The "It's Tricky" riff from Cry Wilderness will remain one of my favorites for all time.

I'm just glad that there's no "Castle of Fu Manchu", "Monster a-go-go" or "Hamlet" this season.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Yo where's the renewal, Netflix?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Update from botbuilders - We have IDed most of Waverlys parts, moving to Growler.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nessus posted:

I saw that one when I was young, so it's cool and new and exciting and hilarious.

I did not see this season, and now I am middle aged and cynical. Strangely enough, I feel it sucks and was trying too hard.

Wait, you didn't watch this season and still think it was trying too hard or you think the old episodes you saw were trying too hard?? I don't get it.

Also Agent from H.A.R.M. was all about the Prince jokes too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommaToes posted:

I'd love another season of this as is. They're only going to get better as time goes on and it was pretty good already.

Yeah, I agree. I think the new cast will gel together more, especially if they get a renewal early enough that lets them have a proper film schedule.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Compendium posted:

Wait, you didn't watch this season and still think it was trying too hard or you think the old episodes you saw were trying too hard?? I don't get it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I haven't gotten to that one yet, but if it's just a line or two, it's fair use.

Also, apparently you've forgotten they did stuff like that all the time on the old show. Tom replying "Where you going with that gun in your hand?" when a character says "Hey Joe," Mike singing a few bars of "Isn't She Lovely" when a character is waving his head back and forth kinda like Stevie Wonder, Tom singing "Broken Glass" along with the credits music to "Time Chasers"... I mean, if you didn't like it then either, fine, but it's nothing new.

I'm still shocked, all these years later, that Mike is eight times a lady

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Old MST3k: Samson and the Vampire Women. An old man gaslights his own daughter even though he knows she's right. Then he assumes the most logical course of action is to call a luchador.... :confused:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Compendium posted:

Also Agent from H.A.R.M. was all about the Prince jokes too.
I'm sardonically describe one part of the probable phenomenon of "it's new and it sucks." I also observed this about Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull which - while definitely flawed - did not have Winnie, a character who is remarkable primarily for delivering lines better in Chinese than in English, despite being white.

I can see the complaint that they were in a hurry and I think it does weaken the product, though I don't think it weakens it materially. I do think the riffs are solid and the show would stack up to any season of the old show. It's unfair to expect it to match a greatest hits lineup.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Overwined posted:

Old MST3k: Samson and the Vampire Women. An old man gaslights his own daughter even though he knows she's right. Then he assumes the most logical course of action is to call a luchador.... :confused:

"Let me just call one of my wrestling acquaintances!" :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Overwined posted:

To be fair, it was a good call. Plus if you plan on bringing in any luchador, El Santo should be at the top of your list.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I feel like the new season tried just the right amount of hard (but I do hope the next season they're given more than two weeks to film everything.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To be fair, it was a good call. Plus if you plan on bringing in any luchador, El Santo should be at the top of your list.

#GO EL SANTO! GO EL SANTO!#

(I was really happy the first time I saw that episode and Mike and the bots acknowledged that they knew it was actually Santo and Samson was just the dub's name)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
CAPSULE!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nessus posted:

I'm sardonically describe one part of the probable phenomenon of "it's new and it sucks." I also observed this about Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

:ironicat:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

btw if you've been on the fence like I have, the Cinematic Titanic box set pre-order is down to $25.95 at Amazon.

Edit:

Was also looking around and it's interesting to note that no announcement has been made for the next MST3K DVD box set (volume XXXIX). In the past Shout pretty much announces the next set on the week of the last set's release. Volume XXXIII came out in March.

Shout might be taking a bit of a breather to let the new show get all the publicity, but looking at the list of unreleased episodes, it's really getting thin.

Here's what we have left:

code:
201 - Rocketship X-M (owned by Wade Williams who apparently has said he will not license it)
213 - Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (not happening)
309 - The Amazing Colossal Man (Susan Hart)
311 - It Conquered the World (Susan Hart)
416 - Fire Maidens from Outer Space (Paramount, licensed to Olive Films until 2018)
418 - Attack of the The Eye Creatures (Susan Hart [which would be bad] or MGM [which would be good])
601 - Girls Town (Paramount)
623 - The Amazing Transparent Man (MGM, licensed un-MST'd version to Shout)
807 - Terror from the Year 5000 (Susan Hart)
809 - I was a Teenage Werewolf (Susan Hart)
905 - The Deadly Bees (Paramount, licensed to Olive Films until 2020)
906 - The Space Children (Paramount, licensed to Olive Films until 2017)
913 - Quest of the Delta Knights (?????)
1013 - Diabolik (Paramount)
That's... that's a tough list to pull four episodes from. The only one that seems an easy get is 623. If Shout can strike a deal with Paramount, that'll give us Diabolik and Girls Town, maybe the Space Children as well, depending on when Olive Film's license is up. My guess is that's the big negotiation Shout is working on now. Here's a tweet from a couple of weeks ago:

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/867499766883549186

My prediction is volume 39 will eventually be The Amazing Transparent Man, Girls Town, Diabolik, and either Space Children or Quest of the Delta Knights.

After that, unless something shakes up with the whole Susan Hart issue, we probably won't see Volume 40 any time in the near future. Kind of sad, but on the other hand holy cow look how much of the series we did get put out on DVD.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 6, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I originally ordered this from Amazon at $49.95, but cancelled it when Shout had it for $39.95.

Oh, well.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mister Kingdom posted:

I originally ordered this from Amazon at $49.95, but cancelled it when Shout had it for $39.95.

Oh, well.

I think getting it directly from Shout gets you an exclusive poster, if you want to justify keeping your order.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know I've said this before, but it's still amazing to me that people will sit on these old-rear end movie rights for whatever reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know I've said this before, but it's still amazing to me that people will sit on these old-rear end movie rights for whatever reason.

Part of the problem is even knowing who currently owns the rights (which is what held up Pumaman for so long.) Also apparently its been an issue where rights holders have tried to basically extort them for more money since they know it is for a popular TV show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's kind of messed up that basically everything post Steamboat Willie is essentially owned by a family or a company for all eternity now. Like it'd be great if some novels from, I don't know, the 1950s would start hitting the Gutenberg archives instead of lining Agatha Christie's granson's pockets or whatever.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

It's kind of messed up that basically everything post Steamboat Willie is essentially owned by a family or a company for all eternity now. Like it'd be great if some novels from, I don't know, the 1950s would start hitting the Gutenberg archives instead of lining Agatha Christie's granson's pockets or whatever.

Copyrights typically last to author's death plus 80 years. So right now they're expiring for authors who died in the 1930s.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Copyrights typically last to author's death plus 80 years. So right now they're expiring for authors who died in the 1930s.

That seems like an insanely long time to me and I would like to register a complain with the People in Charge!!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Not in the US they aren't. It'll be 2019 before anything enters the public domain from copyright expiration. Other countries aren't quite so controlled by Disney and have regularly had older stuff becoming available.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

duz posted:

Not in the US they aren't. It'll be 2019 before anything enters the public domain from copyright expiration. Other countries aren't quite so controlled by Disney and have regularly had older stuff becoming available.

Did some looking up and it's actually life plus 70 years for works with authors, so the books of authors who died in the 40s are expiring now. Work-for-hire creations like studio movies have copyrights that last 95 years.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I'm still on the fence. I love both MST3K and RiffTrax, I went to Frank and Trace show and enjoyed it a lot, and their podcast is very good, too. But I have never seen anything from Cinematic Titanic. How good is it?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ringu0 posted:

I'm still on the fence. I love both MST3K and RiffTrax, I went to Frank and Trace show and enjoyed it a lot, and their podcast is very good, too. But I have never seen anything from Cinematic Titanic. How good is it?

On par with MST3K and Rifftrax. The live shows are great.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, I was already sold at the original price. This seems like too good of a deal?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just went and bought this before I even finished reading your post. Never seen a single CT thing, but I have faith in the crew and can't pass that price up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this! posted:

Part of the problem is even knowing who currently owns the rights (which is what held up Pumaman for so long.) Also apparently its been an issue where rights holders have tried to basically extort them for more money since they know it is for a popular TV show.

Anybody know how much the rights are for any given movie? Is it a flat rate or a percentage of sales?