Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is the actual list, something like this? Probably not the TBs since no one takes those.

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Trade the tractor beams for thread tracers and chips on the Zs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is the actual list, something like this? Probably not the TBs since no one takes those.

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

Yeah, the tractor beams aren't worth giving up the b-wing damage. The most popular version (thanks Blair Bunke) has thread tracers and chips on the bandits with those two points.

Also, to the other conversation, a skilled Miranda player can solo a TIE Swarm. It takes a while, but it can and will happen.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Imperials have the tech to take down Miranda, but far less of it than Scum or Rebel. Ion completely shuts her down but the only real access is TieD (too expensive) for cannons, or ion pulse on Inquisitor/SF Ace(probably the best choice). Stress, you're basically limited to Rebel captive, which is still a great card, and a rebel captive deci will chew up Miranda.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
If Sabine was " once per round when using a (bomb) upgrade, roll 1 attack die and apply the result in addition to any damage caused by the (bomb)" would it be better?

On one hand, not an auto damage. On the other hand it could result in a critical.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If Sabine didn't offer another bomb slot and Extra Munitions didn't give tokens to bombs she might be fine as is. However, we live in a world where Miranda can carry four Cluster mines and two Connor Nets with Sabine for ~17 points and use them to delete five or six ships without even touching her guns except to regen. Advanced SLAM without allowing bombs to be dropped as the free action, or Sabine not giving an extra bomb slot would all make Miranda significantly less awesome but still be really good.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The easiest fix is change wording on Advanced SLAM to include "action bar".

But my impression from his world's commentary is that Davies is really hype on bombs, that's why the next wave is including a whole bunch more bomb stuff.

And a system upgrade that regens bombs to make Deathrain great again.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sabine should really just work if the bomb actually hits you. Like her whole thing in the show is that shes an explosive expert or something and her bombs are more potent? But if the bomb doesn't actually hit you why is it doing extra damage?

I dunno im struggling to think or reasons why rebels should be punished even more in a world of JM5Ks. I guess I could muster up the enthusiasm to get mad at bombs if the faction had any type of ace that didnt clock in at 43+ points with poo poo greens.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

banned from Starbucks posted:

Sabine should really just work if the bomb actually hits you. Like her whole thing in the show is that shes an explosive expert or something and her bombs are more potent? But if the bomb doesn't actually hit you why is it doing extra damage?

Secondary explosions!

In practice though, I feel like 80% of the time when Sabine is triggering off of a mine, it's hitting the same ship that triggered it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Wow you guys were not kidding about TTS. The new version of X-Wing is so much better. Wish the Vassal community would dump that pile of poop and move to this.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

Thread Tracers on the Bandits IIRC.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

If Sabine was " once per round when using a (bomb) upgrade, roll 1 attack die and apply the result in addition to any damage caused by the (bomb)" would it be better?

On one hand, not an auto damage. On the other hand it could result in a critical.

Rolling would be utter poo poo, that's for sure.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Vassal is still better than TTS, 'pile of poop', lol.

Windows are better than a stupid 3d board. "i can't handle the vassal interface" sounds like pure stupidity. It's not that hard!

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
I am becoming more and more of a bombing Miranda fan.
I still think it takes skill to be able to fly Miranda to make successful bombing runs. I have been totally out flown by better players that I was lucky to get one bomb off of them.

Before I played Miranda, she wasn't that difficult to take her down if you were smart about it. If she had TLT, I was able to dance in front of her at range 1 (using Dash, Norra, etc..) and burn her down quick.

Bombs/Miranda/Sabine are fine where they are. I think it tends to make fun matches when flying against her because it takes some creative/skilled flying (what I like about X-wing) to go toe to toe with her.

People are just butt hurt because they cant just joust straight in and throw 5 to 6 dice without paying a price for it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I am hurt in the butt that cluster mines are better than prox mines. :saddowns:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

I am becoming more and more of a bombing Miranda fan.
I still think it takes skill to be able to fly Miranda to make successful bombing runs. I have been totally out flown by better players that I was lucky to get one bomb off of them.

Before I played Miranda, she wasn't that difficult to take her down if you were smart about it. If she had TLT, I was able to dance in front of her at range 1 (using Dash, Norra, etc..) and burn her down quick.

Bombs/Miranda/Sabine are fine where they are. I think it tends to make fun matches when flying against her because it takes some creative/skilled flying (what I like about X-wing) to go toe to toe with her.

People are just butt hurt because they cant just joust straight in and throw 5 to 6 dice without paying a price for it.

Miranda can do an average of 3 (2 mines + sabine) damage to any ship in her firing arc as an action. That just clowns on aces. That's the problem.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Miranda can do an average of 3 (2 mines + sabine) damage to any ship in her firing arc as an action. That just clowns on aces. That's the problem.

It can if you have your ace just plow through mines, which means your ace isn't flying that good. It's pretty obvious when a Miranda player wants/is going to drop bombs, and with higher pilot skill ships, its pretty rewarding to get the Miranda player to waste the bombs. It can make the game take longer, and can make the first part of the match drag, but is still pretty rewarding.

I do still hate the auto-damage from Sabine, where she has zero drawback (Vader and Feedback array do auto-damage, but have a drawback, and Sabine has no range restriction, and adds a bomb slot), and there is literally no dice involved in a game where dice are used to decide damage.

I don't think Miranda/Sabine are ruining the game or anything, but I do expect them to be in the next FAQ. And then some other ship/combo can be bitched about, unless we all decide to keep hating the Jumpmaster.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I'm still frustrated that K-wings haven't been in stock since last year.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If you have higher pilot skill ships, it's actually easier for Miranda to drop bombs on you because she can drop them right on the path that you are going to take. This is especially true with advanced SLAM, that makes Miranda usually faster than most other small ship aces. And you only really need to misjudge the distances of a SLAM once and your Soontir either dies or, if you are lucky, takes at least 1 damage.

I've actually found it easier to deal with miranda with aces that have lower PS than her: you can force the bump, which means that you only need to worry about drop bombs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Miranda would probably be less bullshit if you actually had to land on a mine to detonate it. Against higher PS she just drops them right on your head and they go off before you even get a chance to move. :shrug:

What Miranda players are you guys seeing that rely on guessing maneuvers correctly? All mine just seem to skip that whole step.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Strobe posted:

Miranda would probably be less bullshit if you actually had to land on a mine to detonate it. Against higher PS she just drops them right on your head and they go off before you even get a chance to move. :shrug:

What Miranda players are you guys seeing that rely on guessing maneuvers correctly? All mine just seem to skip that whole step.
That's been my experience as well. Most Miranda's I've faced drop bombs right on top of you or just in front of you so that they are essentially unavoidable. The only way to not get bombed is to run away your ace from Miranda until she's dead.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

That's been my experience as well. Most Miranda's I've faced drop bombs right on top of you or just in front of you so that they are essentially unavoidable. The only way to not get bombed is to run away your ace from Miranda until she's dead.

Precisely. It wouldn't be a problem if the bombs were just kinda out there in the lanes.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Precisely. It wouldn't be a problem if the bombs were just kinda out there in the lanes.

If there wasn't an arms race for ships throwing 4, 5, 6 dice, I don't think bombs would be as much an issue.

Throwing that many dice are the strengths of pilots like Fenn Rau, The Ghost, Whisper, etc..

Dropping bombs is the stength of Miranda/K-wings.

Looking though the lists that are winning in tournaments, I am just not seeing the crazy inflation of Miranda bombers winning. You have a couple here and there, which leads me to believe that although it is really good, requires a certain way of flying.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Strobe posted:

I am a new Miranda player, and the way I play it is I look at the ship I want to try and nuke. I look at all their possible ways they could go and try to determine which makes sense. If I can pull off a move that drops a bomb in the path that I think they will go, I go for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

That said, if I am set up to drop a load on their face, I totally will and like it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Miranda was in both lists at EU finals and the final table of Worlds. There is no skilled way to fly it, it is one of the easiest and most consistent ways to do damage in the game.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 6, 2017

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Slandible posted:

Miranda was in both lists at EU finals and the final table of Worlds. There is no skilled way to fly it, it is one of the easiest and consistent ways to do damage in the game.

There really isn't any validity to this statement. I have seen players that have played Miranda for some time get destroyed by other lists. It just takes a certain skill to beat it.

I guess when another list gets on the tables at another final we can jump on that.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

And Ive seen terrible sloppy players beat out some of the best players in the area while playing lists they've used for years, so I do believe its valid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Slandible posted:

Miranda was in both lists at EU finals and the final table of Worlds. There is no skilled way to fly it, it is one of the easiest and most consistent ways to do damage in the game.

Which list won worlds and dominated the top 16?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Slandible posted:

And Ive seen terrible sloppy players beat out some of the best players in the area while playing lists they've used for years, so I do believe its valid.

But enough about triple Defenders

I hate [list] because [ship] and [upgrade card] is too powerful and unbalanced, it allowed [action/damage] without any skill, and has completely removed [other ship type from previous meta] from the game. I believe [ship] and/or [upgrade card] is ruining x-wing. They should [untested and poorly thought out nerf] the [ship] and [upgrade card] combo.

Use this template and it describes X-Wing since wave 3 or so.

I'm not saying the Miranda/Sabine combo isn't unbalanced, because it is, to a certain degree, but there WILL ALWAYS be a ship or combo that will be unbalanced and FFG will address it once it becomes a problem.Sure, there is a lag period between the time people start to moan and when it is addressed, but Cheese and Crackers, what do people really expect? Of course, now that the [ship] and [upgrade card] combo has won [prestigious tournament], it just means that more and more people will flock to [list], which means more and more people will complain about it, which means this cycle goes on until the Earth's eventual end by [cataclysmic event]. I mean, if you've played X-Wing for any amount of time and not seen or adjusted your mindset to this pattern, then maybe this isn't the game for you.

Yeah, FFG could do a better job at play testing (and their technical writers sssuuuuccckkkkk), but i'll always say this is the jankiest and most bloated game that I actual love.

I'd go so far as to say that FFG is aware of any issues, and will address them in the next FAQ or something.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 6, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Also, since we have switched to talking about Miranda/Sabine, does this mean the Jumpmaster is not ruining X-Wing anymore? Because I want to be old school and complain about 4 TLT Y-Wings.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Bombs keep aces off tables, aces beat Jumps. People see Jumps winning a lot and complain about it, not realizing they're complaining about a symptom and not the disease.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Paper beats rock beats scissor until what makes up paper, rock, and scissor changes, then its anarchy.

This isn't meant to be as snarky as it sounds, its just how the game works.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Believe me I know people complain about one ship or list all the time. The game has balancing issues that FFG is slow to get to. Ive played against most of the lists that people have complained about the past year, but in those games I feel like I've taken away something from the loss. Miranda to me is just completely unfun to go up against.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

Bombs keep aces off tables, aces beat Jumps. People see Jumps winning a lot and complain about it, not realizing they're complaining about a symptom and not the disease.

are people making this argument also OK with mindlink and the massive undercost of the jumpmaster, which has an interceptor dial, a turret, and access to every upgrade at way under 30 points

because it's cool to think both are bad but just ignoring scum cancer is, well, not bright

edit: like I would love for JM to get fixed just so I didn't have to bring Biggs in every competitive squad, that would own

alg fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 6, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys are talking like you know what to expect in the next FAQ when I'm fairly certain the only thing that will happen when the next FAQ comes out is how disappointed you are with FFG that (insert fix you expected) didn't get added to it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Slandible posted:

Believe me I know people complain about one ship or list all the time. The game has balancing issues that FFG is slow to get to. Ive played against most of the lists that people have complained about the past year, but in those games I feel like I've taken away something from the loss. Miranda to me is just completely unfun to go up against.

Something unfun to fly against I totally get. Maybe I've been lucky (my area isn't overrun with it), but I haven't found Miranda and Sabine and less fun to fly against then any other competitive build. The matches tend to be longer because I try really hard to play keep away with the bombs, but its not less fun to me at least. Also, if Miranda/Sabine keeps Rebel regen and Rebel stress builds off the table, I'm all for it because THOSE are unfun to fly against.

Any list that wants to be competitive tries like gently caress to remove uncertainty from the game in the owners favor, which makes sense. The Miranda/Sabine combo does that, it just may do it a little too much.

alg posted:

...scum cancer...

...Seriously?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

IronSaber posted:

I'm still frustrated that K-wings haven't been in stock since last year.

Are you in the US? An X Wing playing family member just moved to Madrid and I guess they have a bunch of K Wings available, but oddly enough have very little product from waves 1-4.
He just brought over a ton of stuff from the US to sell to the Madrid community, and he has offered to ship me K Wings en Espanol. If you want one I can ship one along to you.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

AndyElusive posted:

You guys are talking like you know what to expect in the next FAQ when I'm fairly certain the only thing that will happen when the next FAQ comes out is how disappointed you are with FFG that (insert fix you expected) didn't get added to it.

I think it would be funny of the next FAQ dropped just in time to be legal for the North American deal at Gencon, and it was a bigger deal than the last one that nerfed Defenders and Palp. I mean, it won't happen, but I'd love to watch the meltdown online.

That's why I only fly Quadjumpers and HWKs because those are FAQ proof (because they are not that good, you see).

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 6, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

are people making this argument also OK with mindlink and the massive undercost of the jumpmaster, which has an interceptor dial, a turret, and access to every upgrade at way under 30 points

because it's cool to think both are bad but just ignoring scum cancer is, well, not bright

edit: like I would love for JM to get fixed just so I didn't have to bring Biggs in every competitive squad, that would own

Honestly I hate Jumpmasters almost as much but I know that treating a case of the sniffles doesn't make the flu go away. :shrug:

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

canyoneer posted:

Are you in the US? An X Wing playing family member just moved to Madrid and I guess they have a bunch of K Wings available, but oddly enough have very little product from waves 1-4.
He just brought over a ton of stuff from the US to sell to the Madrid community, and he has offered to ship me K Wings en Espanol. If you want one I can ship one along to you.

please hit me up, username @ gmail I would love to get my hands on a K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

jubelio posted:

please hit me up, username @ gmail I would love to get my hands on a K

Ok, I'll see how many he can send me and let you know

• Locked thread