Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Humbug posted:

I've never understood the argument that head (usually actually chest) cam is the most realistic option. I sit a similar distance between my monitor and my front windshield, only that my windshield is about 60 inches diagonally and with infinite resolution. I would argue that a top of bonnet cam is the most realistic. Your spatial awareness is sooooo much better in a real car than a sim, and reducing it further by filling half the screen with useless interior just seems dumb to me. VR and maybe crazy surround monitor setups is an exception though.

Sounds like you need to fix your bad FOV settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

The Science Goy posted:

Sounds like you need to fix your bad FOV settings

Higher FOV means you loose detail at distance that you would get in a real car. Its always a trade off that you are in front of a monitor of limited size and resolution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you drive a car in the real world with your eyes physically stuck to the middle of your hood, then yes, hood cam is most realistic.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hoodcam is for chuds

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

xzzy posted:

If you drive a car in the real world with your eyes physically stuck to the middle of your hood, then yes, hood cam is most realistic.

Do you have your monitor surgically implanted in your face?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Humbug posted:

I've never understood the argument that head (usually actually chest) cam is the most realistic option. I sit a similar distance between my monitor and my front windshield, only that my windshield is about 60 inches diagonally and with infinite resolution. I would argue that a top of bonnet cam is the most realistic. Your spatial awareness is sooooo much better in a real car than a sim, and reducing it further by filling half the screen with useless interior just seems dumb to me. VR and maybe crazy surround monitor setups is an exception though.

This is how I feel as well but was didn't want to argue anymore.

edit: lol seeing the rest of the argument now on the next page, exactly what I expected, claiming that the bonnet cam is somehow absurd but looking through a window (monitor/tv) at another window and with a steering wheel and hands right in front of your face is somehow perfectly realistic.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 6, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Way more fun to look at the needle redline than a HUD!

it also makes driving cars with the driver seat on the opposite side you're used to more fun in tight spaces

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Thief posted:

Way more fun to look at the needle redline than a HUD!

it also makes driving cars with the driver seat on the opposite side you're used to more fun in tight spaces

Thats fair enough. I also find that camera on top of dashboard on the relevant drivers side like in Dirt Rally is a good option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humbug posted:

Do you have your monitor surgically implanted in your face?

No, but the monitor is rendering a perspective, not a literal eyeball.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
You can move the driving view in iracing by adjusting the cockpit cam.

Never done it myself, so no idea what limitations there are on it though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

xzzy posted:

No, but the monitor is rendering a perspective, not a literal eyeball.

So you simulate the drivers perspective in a simulated car, instead of you being the driver in a simulated car where the monitor is a letterbox into the simulated world. That seems like an unnecessary extra step to me, but each to their own.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Humbug posted:

So you simulate the drivers perspective in a simulated car, instead of you being the driver in a simulated car where the monitor is a letterbox into the simulated world. That seems like an unnecessary extra step to me, but each to their own.

It's not some mysterious voodoo magic. A properly calculated FOV is exactly the same as a real driver's perspective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humbug posted:

Probably, but if the mission is to create "the most accurate picture" the computer rendering from the perspective of the driver's eyes is the only option that qualifies.

Everything else is just preference, and it's god that games accommodate them because I generally agree that interiors soak up too much of limited screen space.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If you don't race exactly like me you are a bad raceist

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

A new service is coming out call iSenna where if you wreck another car you're given the championship.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

A new service is coming out call iSenna where if you wreck another car you're given the championship.

Can I buy the Nelson Piquet Jr add on to help my teammate win?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Norns posted:

Its part of the Flavio Season Pass

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Largepotato posted:

You can move the driving view in iracing by adjusting the cockpit cam.

Never done it myself, so no idea what limitations there are on it though.

You can only move it within "reasonable" and "realistic" limits. Like if your driver is a bit tall or short, or is a hunchback leaning a bit forwards.

You can't move your view all the way forwards so it's as if your severed but still living head is strapped to the bonnet.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Humbug posted:

I started out wanting to see lots of cockpit and over time gradually moved the viewpoint forward and looking for ways to get my monitor closer. Now the monitor is sitting right on top of the steering wheel axle, with just enough space not to drag my sweaty nerd knuckles across the screen. That gives me a "realistic" viewpoint but still some cockpit and (the top half) of the rev meter for most cars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Same ^

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

I started out wanting to see lots of cockpit and over time gradually moved the viewpoint forward and looking for ways to get my monitor closer. Now the monitor is sitting right on top of the steering wheel axle, with just enough space not to drag my sweaty nerd knuckles across the screen. That gives me a "realistic" viewpoint but still some cockpit and (the top half) of the rev meter for most cars.

This is the best. Mine is touching the back of my wheel base, mainly because i want the monitor a bit lower vs. having it on top of my wheel base.

If your monitor is not as close to the wheel as possible then you're putting yourself at a substantial disadvantage.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is there a profile switcher or something for AC so I can switch between different graphic and car viewpoint settings? Having to redo that all the time when switching between VR and monitor is annoying. I guess I could just write a small batch file to xcopy the config folder back and forth.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Norns posted:

Doing this starts a minigame where the media thinks you're gay. #Shitpiquetsays

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Is there a profile switcher or something for AC so I can switch between different graphic and car viewpoint settings? Having to redo that all the time when switching between VR and monitor is annoying. I guess I could just write a small batch file to xcopy the config folder back and forth.

I think there is an asset manager for mods that might be able to do this?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rift chat, bought it iraced a bit and returned it, it's just not quite there imo. And not quite worth the $500 tag.

Unless I got scammed and someone returned a D2 to Best buy in a cv1 box I'll wait for it to either get better or drop to $300

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 7, 2017

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Ridt chat, bought it irace a bit and returned it, it's just not quite there imo. And not quite worth the $500 tag.

Unless I got scammed and someone returned a D2 to Best buy in a cv1 box I'll wait for it to either get better or drop to $300

Sir, this is an Applebee's.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It seems like AMS, rF2 and R3E now all leave the wheel rotation in the driver at the setting of the last car I drove. Anyone else having this issue? It happened sporadically before, but now it seems consistent every time. It's not a problem with these and other games that set rotation every time you select a car, but AC doesn't so it fucks up the steering in that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GhostDog posted:

It seems like AMS, rF2 and R3E now all leave the wheel rotation in the driver at the setting of the last car I drove. Anyone else having this issue? It happened sporadically before, but now it seems consistent every time. It's not a problem with these and other games that set rotation every time you select a car, but AC doesn't so it fucks up the steering in that.

I had this issue with my TM wheel. I don't with my DD wheel

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general

GhostDog posted:

Yup, I have a shortcut on my desktop to go directly to the Windows Game Controllers control panel so I can reset the wheel rotation in the Thrustmaster config.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that might be a Thrustmaster issue, I've never had that issue with my G27.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GhostDog posted:

Ditto. Of course, in iRacing it's pretty simple, you should just use the built in calculator under graphics settings.

For a good example of how it's supposed to look, check out Niels Heusinkveld's setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sz-tIFTK3A
(He's the guy who does the physics for Automobilista.)

---

And speaking of race videos, real world race driver, winner of the 2014 Le Mans, and all-round geek Nicki Thiim has a new video comparing the new iRacing Ferrari and Ford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIUKFnwUbw
(Warning: Be prepared to mute the intro which is way too loud.)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Proper FOV actually made me drive faster. I know guys will convince themselves that a hosed up wide FOV is better. But guaranteed you're going slower in and out of corners than your skill allows.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Norns posted:

I know guys will convince themselves that a hosed up wide FOV is better. But guaranteed you're going slower in and out of corners than your skill allows.

can confirm

i used to naturally drive wide fov's because i came from wwi ans wwii airplane sims where peripheral vision is extremely important.

with racing games this is basically the opposite, especially if you have the track memorized.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A wide FOV also gives you an illusion of speed. People often time complain that a game is too slow when they have a correct FOV. It's not slow, the previous FOV just looked deceivingly fast. You want a racing game to "look slow" because that gives you more time to react.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sounds like NASCAR Heat 2 is going to include Truck and xfinity. Not holding my breath since the first heat wasn't great.

But Dirt to Daytona sounds rad

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dirt to Daytona is the best game ever. If I could find a decent GameCube emulator or PS2 emulator I'd be playing it right now... (I have both disks)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tater_salad posted:

Dirt to Daytona is the best game ever. If I could find a decent GameCube emulator or PS2 emulator I'd be playing it right now... (I have both disks)

I played it on Dolphin and it runs pretty well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

Cool have to grab my disks next time I'm where they are stored.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

njsykora posted:

Yeah Dolphin is pretty close to perfect as far as Gamecube titles go. It's definitely the most usable of the emulators existing for recent systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

wolrah posted:

Yeah Dolphin is pretty close to perfect as far as Gamecube titles go. It's definitely the most usable of the emulators existing for recent systems.

I think PRC has a tutorial on how to get your wheel working with Dolphin, or at least points to one.