Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i keep getting invites to events, also lots of folks want to have conversations about my interests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are you looking

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

i used to do this whole "great lakes are different" thing and then i transitioned and found out madison has plenty of hillbillies in head to toe camo who are willing to yell "tranny" at you out of their truck or follow you to the bathroom.

Agreed, they're still downgrades from the coasts because the rednecks aren't literally 1000 miles away. I don't want to minimize what you've experienced, I'm just saying that it's better compared to flatland USA.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

are you looking
no, im less than a year in & still thrilled w/ the job, just awkward that folks who wouldn't give me the time of day when i WAS looking are so persistent

ThePeavstenator posted:

Agreed, they're still downgrades from the coasts because the rednecks aren't literally 1000 miles away. I don't want to minimize what you've experienced, I'm just saying that it's better compared to flatland USA.
idk don't downplay cali either, plenty of awful folks and the central valley isn't 1000 mi away

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

JawnV6 posted:

idk don't downplay cali either, plenty of awful folks and the central valley isn't 1000 mi away

The west coast is the only place in the US I haven't been to so I can't really comment too heavily on it. I'm just trying to avoid "yeah well there's bigots everywhere, it could be worse" because I'm a hetero white guy and it's easy for me to ignore that poo poo.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

no, im less than a year in & still thrilled w/ the job, just awkward that folks who wouldn't give me the time of day when i WAS looking are so persistent

yeah i used to thing califorina was a whole state of cool people because i had only visited san francisco and LA, and then when we went to the sequoia national park (which is beautiful) and on the way we had to drive through bakersfield.

never do a bakersfield.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Job hunting is harder than a lot of programmers think IMO. A lot of people haven't had to actually go out there and actually do it for months on end.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qhat posted:

Job hunting is harder than a lot of programmers think IMO. A lot of people haven't had to actually go out there and actually do it for months on end.

its garbage

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When I moved to Canada I struggled to even get shortlisted for the majority of places. Not rly sure why, I had PR, resume was great and often had all the skills for the job. My guess is recruiters were wary about the current unemployment or lack of Canadian experience. Got what I wanted​ in the end but it took a few months.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PokeJoe posted:

its garbage
what about interviewing?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FMguru posted:

what about interviewing?

i've heard it's also garbage

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

what about interviewing?

Easy if you don't have to explain poo poo to the interviewer who should know his poo poo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

really getting *a* job is usually pretty easy, but there are a loooooooooooot of lovely jobs in this world

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i've heard it's also garbage
shocking, if true

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

really getting *a* job is usually pretty easy, but there are a loooooooooooot of lovely jobs in this world

I interviewed and got an offer from a joint in Vancouver which described themselves as :airquote: a growing startup :airquote:. In 15 years they had amassed a totally of 6 staff. I turned that down lol.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

qhat posted:

yeah., i gave up

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qhat posted:

When I moved to Canada I struggled to even get shortlisted for the majority of places. Not rly sure why, I had PR, resume was great and often had all the skills for the job. My guess is recruiters were wary about the current unemployment or lack of Canadian experience. Got what I wanted​ in the end but it took a few months.

job hunting is so much easier when you have a job it is ridiculous.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

ya getting a job isn't impossible but getting a good job or a job you actually want is still challenging. took me a fuckin year+ to do it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I could have found a job in a few weeks but finding one that is compelling enough to leave my current job and also gives me the right figgies took several months.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i love when jobs ask? "so what do you love about PoopFactory inc?"

idfk probably because you might pay money to me to touch computers, and also im expecting *you* to convince me that I do love PoopFactory inc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i love when jobs ask? "so what do you love about PoopFactory inc?"

idfk probably because you might pay money to me to touch computers, and also im expecting *you* to convince me that I do love PoopFactory inc

to me this one is a "did you bother even briefly thinking about what we do?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the problem is when they phrase it like you should already love the company

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

the problem is when they phrase it like you should already love the company

nah, that's standard.

everyone pretends to drink the cool aid when they are talking to HR. you just use the keywords they are looking for like "exciting" and "opportunity" and mention one of their products and they check the box marked "drank the cool aid" which means "googled our product and at least spent 5 minutes thinking how to answer this boilerplate question before the interview"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

yeah thats "show us you at least skimmed our corporate website"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

protip: if you see a philanthropy/"we give back" section on their website mention that you saw it and how great it is if you talk to any senior managers

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qirex posted:

yeah, I mean I'm really good at answering it, it's a dumb question tho

I'll usually say a bunch of things that are cool about the org and product and challenges and role, and then 'and that's why i'd love to find out more about this specific team and role, so what is ... blah blah blah'

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Supernaive question incoming:

We know its bullshit.
They gotta know its bullshit.
Why does everyone still bother?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xarn posted:

We know its bullshit.

some people cannot bullshit in front of customers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xarn posted:

We know its bullshit.

it depends who you're talking to, they might not be a technical wizard who cares about your tree-balancing skills and is merely trying to figure out if you're someone they want to work with

actually I'm curious: do you have interviews where you only talk to other tech people? that would be bizarre to me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xarn posted:

We know its bullshit.
being able to smoothly conform to stupid organization rituals is actually a useful and desirable skill in an employee

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

some people cannot bullshit in front of customers

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Not quite job hunting question (although it may come to that...)

I started a "junior" dev role in January with a "pay review in 3 months". I've been with the company a while (QA => dev). I had a conversation with not-quite-my-line-manager and he straight up told me I was easily out performing the other (not junior) devs on my team.

How hard do I poke the bear for figgies?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Xarn posted:

We know its bullshit.

because some people will still screw it up and get eliminated because they don't know where they are applying.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dick traceroute posted:

Not quite job hunting question (although it may come to that...)

I started a "junior" dev role in January with a "pay review in 3 months". I've been with the company a while (QA => dev). I had a conversation with not-quite-my-line-manager and he straight up told me I was easily out performing the other (not junior) devs on my team.

How hard do I poke the bear for figgies?

get another job

realtalk its the only way to get figgies

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah hop somewhere and see if you can get jr off your title

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qirex posted:

actually I'm curious: do you have interviews where you only talk to other tech people? that would be bizarre to me

every one i've had.

most of my jobs haven't been stellar, fwiw.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've had the opposite problem a few times. candidate was very excited to tell me how much they love the product and company and I'm like I don't care dude I just care about your technical skills

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I poo poo you not I once had a company outright ask me in an interview "If you got an offer from amazon or MS etc, would you leave our company for it?"

Uh, maybe, in fact, now that you ask, yes.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah hop somewhere and see if you can get jr off your title

Amazed companies still put this crap on prospective job titles. Massive turn off, even to new grads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Question for the elderly: how far can you stretch "experience" for job requirements? I still work at the same company I interned at for 2 years and there's not really any room for growth as a computer toucher here. A lot of job postings ask for 3+ years of "professional experience" which I'm guessing is their way of saying "internships don't count".

e:

qhat posted:

Amazed companies still put this crap on prospective job titles. Massive turn off, even to new grads.

Even better is when they list experience requirements beyond 2 years and have a giant laundry list of technologies you need to know, 2 of which the position actually touches. Probably the only thing "Jr" about those dev positions is the pay.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread