Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
One minor disadvantage of Skarbrand is that daemons (with an icon) gain back d6 models if either of the dice you roll for morale comes up with a 1, and Skarbrand makes you ignore morale. If you're taking Skarbrand, the Icons won't work at all so there's another 50 points for hounds right there.

I see him being fantastic against gunline armes, a little worse against other CC armies that wouldn't want to fall back, and the mad bastard gains attacks as he gets hurt rather than lose them.

Despite all that, that list is exactly the dang list I was planning on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
So, you can get a full imperium brigade detachment for 480pts if you really want to

HQ
Three Company commanders 90pts

TROOPS
Six 10 man infantry platoons 240pts

ELITES
Three 1 man acolytes 24pts

FAST ATTACKS
Three 1 dog cyberwolfs 45pts

HEAVY SUPPORTS
Three mortar heavy weapon squads 81pts

Just a thought :shobon:

Also Acolytes seem pretty bonkers for their cost? 10pts will get you a 3 wound guardsmen with 2 attacks, a bolt pistol and stormbolter that gets to reroll all hits and wounds vs chaosy things or 1s vs xenos.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So how would you guys deal with a trygon prime + genestealers? I've been looking at battle reports and that seems to be an incredibly common combo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So, thing I just saw from BOLS :

That last sentence looks a lot like it's suggesting Emps finally died....

Probably bullshit, but he idea is really fun.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

So, thing I just saw from [url=http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/06/40k-new-rulebook-lore-shockers.html]BOLS[url] :

That image originated on 4chan...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TKIY posted:

That image originated on 4chan...

Figures. That'd be too interesting for GW to sack up and do it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

So how would you guys deal with a trygon prime + genestealers? I've been looking at battle reports and that seems to be an incredibly common combo.

Weapons that auto hit on overwatch. Flamers are the obvious choice but if you can get Frag Cannons they are the God-Emperor's gift to the galaxy.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
'those who would see the Master of Mankind dead'?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Liquid Communism posted:

So, thing I just saw from BOLS :

Probably bullshit, but he idea is really fun.

It's in the main rulebook.

Obvious red herring, sick of hearing nerds whining my ear off about it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Strobe posted:

Weapons that auto hit on overwatch. Flamers are the obvious choice but if you can get Frag Cannons they are the God-Emperor's gift to the galaxy.

They can charge from outside of flamer range, though. The trygon prime's adrenal glands means it's pretty likely it's getting into combat, so the trygon goes in first to eat overwatch bolter fire and has a better chance of getting in, so if the genestealers don't make it with a command reroll you're not going to be shooting at them as much. And the 5+ invuln plus Catalyst makes them hard to drop.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

chutche2 posted:

What does it do?

Nm

muggins fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 6, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They call me the Emperor and I am very much still alive

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Praise me

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Death to the false emperor.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If the Emprah dies then no one would be able to keep it a secret because the next things that would quickly follow would be the astronomicon no longer working followed by the end of mostly safe space travel and then by the complete collapse of the Imperium.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
I thought there was some fluff thing about the plot to Dogma in 40k form. God is stuck on life support in a vegetable body, and he has to die to be reborn.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cyberpope v2 posted:

I thought there was some fluff thing about the plot to Dogma in 40k form. God is stuck on life support in a vegetable body, and he has to die to be reborn.

Its one of the going in-universe theories.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Guilliman: "Father, the Imperium is failing and everything is a mess. What do I do!"
Emperor "Son, I want you to find as many young boys as possible and pump them full of your genes"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lord Twisted posted:

'those who would see the Master of Mankind dead'?

Yeah that's pretty clearly what it says but people are ignoring that the last line is missing the word "is" and just going "EMPEROR DEAD"

BULBASAUR posted:

Guilliman: "Father, the Imperium is failing and everything is a mess. What do I do!"
Emperor "Son, I want you to find as many young boys as possible and pump them full of your genes"

:golfclap:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Senjuro posted:

If the Emprah dies then no one would be able to keep it a secret because the next things that would quickly follow would be the astronomicon no longer working followed by the end of mostly safe space travel and then by the complete collapse of the Imperium.

It does go dark for a time shortly after the giant chaos rift opens and Khorne attacks Terra with 66 bloodthirsters. When it flares back on communication starts again and people find out that most chapters are teetering on complete destruction.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
emps dead, so what?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
This thread has sure slowed down after the full leaks hit. I guess it really did deflate GW's carefully crafted hype machine

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I heard new white dwarf is gonna come with a free big boi

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Without fail I read this in the electronic voice of If The Emperor Had a Text-To-Speech Device.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Moola posted:

emps dead, so what?

What if... he was dead all along?!!!

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
I am trying to build an 8th edition Grey Knights list for matched play and I'm pretty confused. The point cost for a model says "Does not include wargear". Storm Bolters cost 2 points per model. Almost every model in the army comes with a storm bolter. Do I really have to go through and add 2 points per model for gear that is not an upgrade on the data sheet? Why isn't this baked into the model cost?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Megaspam posted:

I am trying to build an 8th edition Grey Knights list for matched play and I'm pretty confused. The point cost for a model says "Does not include wargear". Storm Bolters cost 2 points per model. Almost every model in the army comes with a storm bolter. Do I really have to go through and add 2 points per model for gear that is not an upgrade on the data sheet? Why isn't this baked into the model cost?

Yes, and to make points rebalancing easier or something respectively. Yes it's sort of dumb but it's a fairly minor issue fortunately.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Megaspam posted:

I am trying to build an 8th edition Grey Knights list for matched play and I'm pretty confused. The point cost for a model says "Does not include wargear". Storm Bolters cost 2 points per model. Almost every model in the army comes with a storm bolter. Do I really have to go through and add 2 points per model for gear that is not an upgrade on the data sheet?
Yes.

Megaspam posted:

Why isn't this baked into the model cost?
Because GW huffed their own farts on Narrative play. They separated the points with the idea that they would be able to easily update points costs later, but the layout is terrible. I think they would be better served by replacing those tables with super simplified unit entries with no rules or weapons profiles, just points costs. It would take more space, but you could easily cram a bunch onto a single page. You could also avoid one-size-fits-all points costs.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well things are still positive in my neck of the woods. I've played a demo game of 8th edition and liked it, and I'm going to play a 1000 point game of nids vs Carcharadons on Thursday.

At my local club the super beardy 40k tournament players have all quit because they can't take formations that give them 800 points of free stuff anymore. I imagine they'll all crawl back with their tails between their legs at some point, but until then it isn't like there isn't tons of Bolt Action and Blood Bowl going on.

Looking forward to it here and liking what I've seen. It's making me want to paint up some of the grey plastic I have on sprues.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ayn Marx posted:

What if... he was dead all along?!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gxMiK-7AM

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Having a quick set of games tonight to try 8th, 1k points with my Nids. Going to bring two lists, Assaulty and Shooty based on what I have assembled at the moment:

Patrol Detachment - Fighty Bastards

The Swarmlord (1) - 300pts
1 Hive Tyrant: Bone sabers,Prehensile pincer tail

Tyrant Guard (3) - 105pts
3 Tyrant Guard: Rending claws,Scything talons

Tyranid Warriors (3) - 83pts
2 Tyranid Warrior: Devourer,Scything talons
1 Tyranid Warrior: Barbed strangler,Scything talons

Tyranid Warriors (3) - 83pts
2 Tyranid Warrior: Devourer,Scything talons

Raveners (3) - 75pts
3 Ravener: Rending claws,Scything talons

Raveners (3) - 75pts

Raveners (3) - 75pts

Carnifexes (1) - 103pts
1 Carnifex: Two pairs of monstrous scything talons,Thresher scythe,Bio Plasma

Carnifexes (1) - 103pts
1 Carnifex: Two pairs of monstrous scything talons,Thresher scythe,Bio Plasma

or

Patrol Detachment - Shooty Bastards

Hive Tyrant with wings (1) - 211pts
1 Hive Tyrant: 2 Two deathspitter with slimer maggotss,Prehensile pincer tail

Tyranid Warriors (3) - 94pts
1 Tyranid Warrior: Deathspitter,Scything talons,Flesh hooks,Adrenal glands
1 Tyranid Warrior: Deathspitter,Scything talons

Tyranid Warriors (3) - 91pts
2 Tyranid Warrior: Deathspitter,Scything talons

Hive Guard (3) - 144pts
3 Hive Guard: Impaler cannon

Exocrine (1) - 228pts
1 Exocrine: Bio plasmic cannon,Powerful limbs

Exocrine (1) - 228pts
1 Exocrine: Bio plasmic cannon,Powerful limbs

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Thundercloud posted:

At my local club the super beardy 40k tournament players have all quit because they can't take formations that give them 800 points of free stuff anymore.

Wait, there are people who actually *liked* formations? I was largely out of 40k during 7th and a lot of 6th when they were a thing but I always thought they were a really lovely annoying way of doing things.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah basically Space Marines that received a free dedicated transport for every unit that could take one and AdMech who got free unit upgrades for everyone.

Loss of formations does sting a little as a GSC since it means I have to leave out two of my HQs since I don't have enough models to form a second detachment yet for my Primus and Iconward.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I know one guy who is very upset he can't run his 5 knight detachment anymore.

Mostly it's that people have put lots of money and effort into building and painting an army that they can't use anymore.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Master Twig posted:

Mostly it's that people have put lots of money and effort into building and painting an army that they can't use anymore.
He can though? There's literally a 3-5 Lords of War detachment. Just now anyone could theoretically do it.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Master Twig posted:

But... he can! There's a detachment for it and everything!

The rules are different (and the relics are gone) but you can still take a five Knight detachment 100% within 8th.

edit : 2 slow 2 furious

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

my kinda ape posted:

Wait, there are people who actually *liked* formations? I was largely out of 40k during 7th and a lot of 6th when they were a thing but I always thought they were a really lovely annoying way of doing things.

I liked them in theory--I thought that formation detachments were a potentially good, interesting way to reward building your army a certain, ideally fluffy way, and also provide clear guidelines for building an army. E.g. you could build your core formation, then start thinking about which Auxiliary formation to build/paint next. That's basically how I built my Khorne Daemonkin, and it was a lot of fun.

**HOWEVER**

I *wasn't* a fan of using formations outside of the detachments, nor having multiple bonuses for each formation in a formation detachment (I could be OK with like, 1 or 2, but they'd have to be simple and used sparingly), and if you are using those bonuses, you sure as poo poo better not allow the same unit to show up in multiple bonused formations within the same detachment, which did happen and was awful. And Formation Detachments needed to be on par with a CAD, which would have been much more flexible.

Basically, some of it was OK but most of it was bad and there were too many formations and the execution was bad

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also run a Baneblade squadron as a detachment! It's pretty amazing.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

RagnarokAngel posted:

He can though? There's literally a 3-5 Lords of War detachment. Just now anyone could theoretically do it.

They're too expensive now. You can fit 5 knights into a 2k list, but 4 of them have to be Gallants to fit. If you want guns you're looking at 4 Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're too expensive now. You can fit 5 knights into a 2k list, but 4 of them have to be Gallants to fit. If you want guns you're looking at 4 Knights.

Pretty dumb reason to quit a game you have hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in regardless.

• Locked thread