Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

junior engineer would be fine if they treated it like an actual entry level position but i think it's just for people with zero confidence. looking at the junior jobs they still want like 5 years experience with whatever languages and tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

Question for the elderly: how far can you stretch "experience" for job requirements? I still work at the same company I interned at for 2 years and there's not really any room for growth as a computer toucher here. A lot of job postings ask for 3+ years of "professional experience" which I'm guessing is their way of saying "internships don't count".

If they say 3 years then in general they mean 3 years. You can try sending in a resume anyway, but you should use your cover letter to really highlight any skills you have that can fill in for that lack of experience. If your applications doesn't really stand out though then you prob don't have a shot, but there's no harm in trying anyway.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hifi posted:

junior engineer would be fine if they treated it like an actual entry level position but i think it's just for people with zero confidence. looking at the junior jobs they still want like 5 years experience with whatever languages and tools

ya this is what I noticed. unless the person is a real idiot, there's no way you're going to get a multiple year experienced dev to accept having Junior at the top of their resume.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Xarn posted:

Supernaive question incoming:

We know its bullshit.
They gotta know its bullshit.
Why does everyone still bother?

these questions are asking 'are you acculturated or are you a sperging stemlord who can't follow the forms?'

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

My resume right now is my work experience which is a little over 2 years, my known technologies which is basically everything I learned in school plus a few things I taught myself, and my education which is a BS in Software Engineering w/ a minor in Mathematics. Is it worth putting my GPA on there or is the combination of work experience/skills/education, however small, enough?

e:

I guess that's kind of a vague question without actually seeing my resume so I guess what I really mean is: If you've got even the slightest hint of job experience will that eclipse any information about how you did in school?

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 6, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

My resume right now is my work experience which is a little over 2 years, my known technologies which is basically everything I learned in school plus a few things I taught myself, and my education which is a BS in Software Engineering w/ a minor in Mathematics. Is it worth putting my GPA on there or is the combination of work experience/skills/education, however small, enough?

i mean, this is basically me except my degree is in poetry composition and look where i'm at. you just need to phrase your resume to emphasize projects and the skills you developed on them instead of your years in the industry. a good cover letter helps too.

don't put your gpa on there unless you got a 4.0. if you have education relevant to the position, put it in a bullet list at the bottom of the resume with a little explanation of how it's relevant. but do not make your resume longer than a page.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ThePeavstenator posted:

the combination of work experience/skills/education is enough

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

wrt gpa it depends on the sort of workplace you're shooting for, some corps and environments might care, tho tbf i wouldn't want to work somewhere that explicitly asks for it or transcripts as the basis of a decision beyond proving that you did indeed finish school. if it's good and something you're proud of sure whatever but i wouldn't leave it on for all applications

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

IMO don't bother with bullshit GPA unless they specifically ask for in in the job description, noone cares at all. if you've properly described (concisely) what you did in your current job then that's enough. as for resume ony being a page long, absolutely in your case, but in general i don't think there's anything wrong with a 2 page resume if you've got tons of experience (like 8-10 years in multiple companies).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

IMO don't bother with bullshit GPA unless they specifically ask for in in the job description, noone cares at all. if you've properly described (concisely) what you did in your current job then that's enough. as for resume ony being a page long, absolutely in your case, but in general i don't think there's anything wrong with a 2 page resume if you've got tons of experience (like 8-10 years in multiple companies).

in specific scenarios sure, but in general if you have to ask then you probably don't need two pages basically. often a lot of your early job history can just be line items with dates unless the things you did there are super relevant to the current job opportunity.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah no one at all cares about your gpa. even for your first job out of school no one cares

got a resume a while back where someone had put their sat scores. i lolled, then placed it on the reject pile

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

I poo poo you not I once had a company outright ask me in an interview "If you got an offer from amazon or MS etc, would you leave our company for it?"

Uh, maybe, in fact, now that you ask, yes.

lol

they're shook

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

in specific scenarios sure, but in general if you have to ask then you probably don't need two pages basically. often a lot of your early job history can just be line items with dates unless the things you did there are super relevant to the current job opportunity.

:agreed:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

i mean, this is basically me except my degree is in poetry composition and look where i'm at. you just need to phrase your resume to emphasize projects and the skills you developed on them instead of your years in the industry. a good cover letter helps too.

don't put your gpa on there unless you got a 4.0. if you have education relevant to the position, put it in a bullet list at the bottom of the resume with a little explanation of how it's relevant. but do not make your resume longer than a page.

The GPA thing is kind of weird because I was diagnosed with ADHD halfway through college when I almost got kicked out for doing so shittily. As soon as I got medicated my GPA was basically up there but I don't want to explain that my 3.0 is actually a 4.0 if you ignore half of my grades and also my brain doesn't do work too well without taking speed first.

e: should've refreshed first

qhat posted:

yeah that's kind of what I was thinking

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Xarn posted:

We know its bullshit.

People gently caress up these questions. Even easy one's like, "so why are you looking for a new job?". I didn't believe it either till I started interviewing.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

yeah no one at all cares about your gpa. even for your first job out of school no one cares

got a resume a while back where someone had put their sat scores. i lolled, then placed it on the reject pile

a lot of people list their international qualifications too, as if anyone in this country is supposed to have any clue what they are talking about

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

The GPA thing is kind of weird because I was diagnosed with ADHD halfway through college when I almost got kicked out for doing so shittily. As soon as I got medicated my GPA was basically up there but I don't want to explain that my 3.0 is actually a 4.0 if you ignore half of my grades and also my brain doesn't do work too well without taking speed first.

e: should've refreshed first

yeah that's kind of what I was thinking

Here's a tip. If you don't want to have to explain something dumb, don't put it on your resume.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i'm not 100% sure but for some sectors like government and academia that in itself could be an advantage to you by qualifying as a disability, some applications i've seen have checkboxes if you identify as such so no need to prematurely disclose anything

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jre posted:

People gently caress up these questions. Even easy one's like, "so why are you looking for a new job?". I didn't believe it either till I started interviewing.

I used to feel embarrassed about asking experienced developers to reverse a string on the whiteboard. but so many people are so bad at coding that asking something ridiculously easy is a very useful filter. you don't want to ask them something harder and then sit through that train wreck if they couldn't have even reverse a string.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My university career services is still accessible by alumni and the advice they give you sounds like terrible boiler-plate poo poo from the mid-90s but I try to avoid pulling a Dunning-Kruger move thinking I know more than them about the job market. They told me to put an Objective on my resume which has made me doubt 99% of the other advice they've given me including putting my GPA on there.

I think the only reason job placement from my school is so high is because they accept basically everyone and whoever survives the 4 years ends up with good technical skills and gets hired by one of the companies that basically uses it as a free recruitment system.

So basically thanks for the actually useful advice YOSPOS.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

I used to feel embarrassed about asking experienced developers to reverse a string on the whiteboard. but so many people are so bad at coding that asking something ridiculously easy is a very useful filter. you don't want to ask them something harder and then sit through that train wreck if they couldn't have even reverse a string.

people keep mentioning this one and i think i'd gently caress it up purely because i'd probably spend the whole time trying to think of something smarter than the o(n) solution even though that's not possible (i dont think).

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

truth be told i've hosed up really basic technical questions like that cos I was ill at the time or something, but still managed to get through because instead of staring at a monitor the whole time like an autist, i'd actually do poo poo like draw things out on paper or explain what i was having trouble with etc. i've also seen lots of reviews on glassdoor of people who are like "I passed all the test cases but I still failed, what do they want then????". at the end of the day 90% of interviewers are looking for you to have a correct process rather than being a nerd lord who memorised a bunch of different algorithms online.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Xarn posted:

We know its bullshit.

ritual supplication to affirm right from the outset who the bitch is in the employment relationship

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think anybody over the course of the 18 months I spent looking for a not soul crushing job ever read my cover letter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I interviewed at exactly one place that I wrote a cover letter for and like 10 that I didn't

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
If you don't put your gpa on your resume I'm never going to ask you what it was, but if you put it on the resume and it's below a 3.5 I will actively hold that against you

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

qirex posted:

it depends who you're talking to, they might not be a technical wizard who cares about your tree-balancing skills and is merely trying to figure out if you're someone they want to work with

actually I'm curious: do you have interviews where you only talk to other tech people? that would be bizarre to me

No, but I am fairly confident that the managers/HR who talk with me are smart enough to realize that unless they are solving world hunger and curing AIDS at the same time, if I go "I am super excited about Jabberwocky, it is going to revolutionize how we do business", I am bullshitting and do not actually care.

As far as the social interaction parts go, there has to be better way to judge that than to see if the candidate sucks up properly :shrug:

---edit---
Maybe I should also note that I am not from USA, and the culture here tends to look at fake enthusiasm with disdain.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just say you think the company is somewhere that you can really grow as an engineer and you'll pass.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Xarn posted:

No, but I am fairly confident that the managers/HR who talk with me are smart enough to realize that unless they are solving world hunger and curing AIDS at the same time, if I go "I am super excited about Jabberwocky, it is going to revolutionize how we do business", I am bullshitting and do not actually care.

As far as the social interaction parts go, there has to be better way to judge that than to see if the candidate sucks up properly :shrug:

reminder: people gently caress up this incredibly easy question. It's a good filter for turbo autists

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Just say you think the company is somewhere that you can really grow as an engineer and you'll pass.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qhat posted:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qhat posted:

if you are getting really upset about answering the boilerplate interview questions with the standard answers that everyone expects then you are the impossible to work with person these question are designed to filter out.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I usually am able to handle the standard boilerplate bobblehead interview questions but sometimes my ritalin will kick in while answering them and I'll go completely manic, rip off the suit I borrowed from my dad that's 3 sizes too big, revealing my arm tattoos of Nirvana lyrics along with my Che Guevara t-shirt on underneath, jump up on the interviewer's desk, and start screaming "THERE'S NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION UNDER A CAPITALIST SYSTEM, FULL COMMUNISM NOW!" until I'm dragged out by security.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, apparently they stealth updated the employee manual at some point to require a month's notice from devs when they are resigning. afaict the only consequence is that they won't pay out your vacation (i used all mine anyway), but epic is so clownshoe im worried they'd try to gently caress with me in other ways. the recruiter seemed real dead set on a 4 week turnaround after accept. guess i'll have to talk that out with him today.

epic is clown shoes.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

I usually am able to handle the standard boilerplate bobblehead interview questions but sometimes my ritalin will kick in while answering them and I'll go completely manic, rip off the suit I borrowed from my dad that's 3 sizes too big, revealing my arm tattoos of Nirvana lyrics along with my Che Guevara t-shirt on underneath, jump up on the interviewer's desk, and start screaming "THERE'S NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION UNDER A CAPITALIST SYSTEM, FULL COMMUNISM NOW!" until I'm dragged out by security.

It's definitely important to assert your dominance in an interview.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

lol, apparently they stealth updated the employee manual at some point to require a month's notice from devs when they are resigning. afaict the only consequence is that they won't pay out your vacation (i used all mine anyway), but epic is so clownshoe im worried they'd try to gently caress with me in other ways. the recruiter seemed real dead set on a 4 week turnaround after accept. guess i'll have to talk that out with him today.

epic is clown shoes.

lol

just resign without notice if theyre gonna treat you like poo poo

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

"what attracted you to the opportunity here at [company]?"

"Wait what? I'm sorry I'm not used to justifying my decisions to low level employees."

ez

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

It's definitely important to assert your dominance in an interview.
remember: Slamming Boss Against Wall, Shouting ‘I Need More Cash!’ Still Leading Tactic For Securing Raise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwOYMFtw1k

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jre posted:

reminder: people gently caress up this incredibly easy question. It's a good filter for turbo autists

be forewarned: i somehow did too well on that question and now my desk is in sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

epic is clown shoes.

just no notice them ffs

i no-noticed a job once. it was worth it. even on my deathbed ill be able to call up the memory of that phone call (when they called me on day 2) "yeah, i'm not coming in today... or ever again" :fap:

• Locked thread