Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

qatar sucks super bad, but siding with the sauds who suck at least as bad and don't let us keep 10,000 of are troops there is a lol

well the Sauds projected Trumps face onto a hotel, gave him a medal, and let him touch the orb so he'll back them bigly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Reminder again that 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudis

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, it's in the 25th Amendment. You just have to get republicans convinced that Trump is hurting their chances for reelection.

This might help:

https://twitter.com/UpshotNYT/status/872144115672244224

I'm really glad they came out with this. I've been going to RCP's sitefor this and it just wasn't doing it for me.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Where I work, we have a feature we can implement for our customers where certain people's emails or emails with certain keywords in them get routed through us automatically and get stopped in a queue. A reviewer at their company has to regularly check these queues and approve or cancel the sending of those messages. The sender has no control over this themselves.

We can set this up for little mom 'n pop businesses. Why hasn't the government of the United States of America set up a similar mechanism for Trump's tweets? Don't even tell him about it. When the same alarming tweet gets sent out over and over and never makes it to the account page, just tell him Twitter is unreliable or currently down or something until he moves on to a new topic. That would kill this thread, sure, but it also might save us from being turned to hunks of charred carbon when the nukes drop.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow0 posted:

I can't begin to imagine how the electronic system isn't better, faster, safer, and more reliable. It's like the most basic program you can possibly write and should never need any kind up updating except a new list of names every so often. Maybe it's in the transmission of the data? But even then, how can we have secure credit card transactions all the time, but can't handle this? If you're really worried, you can physically hand over the data or something.

Get this: a goddamn box you put the name in, people watch to make sure you don't pour gasoline inside

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

unpacked robinhood posted:

Get this: a goddamn box you put the name in, people watch to make sure you don't pour gasoline inside

During the early 1900s the US actually used a pretty sophisticated and highly automated system of punch card machines for processing immigrants at Ellis Island. I don't know why we don't just use mechanical vote tabulators.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the US has all sorts of wacky voting systems. in the UK you put a mark in the box of the person you want to vote for on a sheet of paper and stick that in a box

or you do the same thing but post it

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

turn off the TV posted:

During the early 1900s the US actually used a pretty sophisticated and highly automated system of punch card machines for processing immigrants at Ellis Island. I don't know why we don't just use mechanical vote tabulators.

Because that would go against the GOP's thirty year war against voting rights in this country.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

Caligula or Commodus, I can't decide.

I've been going with the Caligula comparisons mainly because "Tiny Boots" to "Tiny Hands".

turn off the TV posted:

https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/872126492578283525

Wow all of the advertisers left alongside the bot traffic.

Well, sure. Russia doesn't have to buy advertisements any more to prop up the site. :v:

turn off the TV posted:

(I had a history of the modern US course last year and when we got to the 2000 election, I had to explain the voting mechanisms in Florida because everyone else was too young to remember the media reports and I voted in Florida in that election. "Hanging chad" was in the textbook, but absolutely no context for it.)

Anyhoo, I really hope that the UK doesn't block Trump's visit later this week. Think about it, Trump will be out of the country while the news media is covering the fallout of Comey's testimony. There will be no Fox filter on it for him. His meltdown will be spectacular.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Jose posted:

we're going to all die in nuclear fire and find out when trump tweets he launched the nukes lol

Don't worry, he will find a way to blame Obama and/or Hillary for it

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

the US has all sorts of wacky voting systems. in the UK you put a mark in the box of the person you want to vote for on a sheet of paper and stick that in a box

or you do the same thing but post it

Yeah, but then people have to count those, and people make mistakes.
The only advantage I can see is if you have multiple people counting, which is almost certainly what happens, but still.
Why are people so anti-computer suddenly?
I don't get it.

If you can mail your vote, then you can also just do it online.
Which would solve a ton of other problems too.

Also, Sean Spicer is speaking soon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is mostly a uk lol but

https://twitter.com/Yuckband/status/871385342401708034

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Random Stranger posted:

(I had a history of the modern US course last year and when we got to the 2000 election, I had to explain the voting mechanisms in Florida because everyone else was too young to remember the media reports and I voted in Florida in that election. "Hanging chad" was in the textbook, but absolutely no context for it.)

Ah, 2000, the year elderly lifelong Democrat retirees with eyesight problems reversed course and came out in force for Pat Buchanan and the Reform Party.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

The hanging chads... the hanging chads... :negative:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, actual hole punches would probably not be great, but I was thinking more along the lines of optical mark recognition machines.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Ah, 2000, the year elderly lifelong Democrat retirees with eyesight problems reversed course and came out in force for Pat Buchanan and the Reform Party.

The Bush elections were the most absurd and sleazy national elections I've ever witnessed. Sadly, his family had the media in their pockets and they told all dissent to shut up. Smdh.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Don't forget Jeb! everyone

plz clap

plz

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Are you guys watching this press briefing?

They're piping in softball questions via satellite from conservative radio announcers now lmfao

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 6, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

https://twitter.com/carrierobinson_/status/871755411808018437

Imagine our obese president who eschews any form of exercise to preserve his precious bodily fluids doing this.

This makes me sad

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Ppppghgfdddddf lmao

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/872059997429022722

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/872068407688146944

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Ah, 2000, the year elderly lifelong Democrat retirees with eyesight problems reversed course came out in force for Pat Buchanan and the Reform Party.

I had written up a nice post explaining some of the weird things that happened due to the difference being within the margin of error for counting, how mistakes on all sides led to it, and how fixing things may have made things better in a worse way. The post wasn't very lol, though.

So I'll just say that if Russia did hack voting machines (which I'm not convinced of, but I'd definitely want a full audit of the system), then Donald Trump will be the first president with an asterisk next to his name.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Random Stranger posted:

So I'll just say that if Russia did hack voting machines (which I'm not convinced of, but I'd definitely want a full audit of the system), then Donald Trump will be the first president with an asterisk next to his name.

You wouldn't put one next to Bush II's name? Or do you mean that you'd put two there instead of one?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/872082526134816768

:hmbol:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
*hacked by russia
*piss

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
https://www.wesearchr.com/bounties/support-katie-mchugh-fired-from-breitbart-for-telling-the-tr

read the reason that she needs the money for ultimate :ironicat:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

phasmid posted:

You wouldn't put one next to Bush II's name? Or do you mean that you'd put two there instead of one?

No, when the final tally was done months into his presidency, he still won, free and clear. Even the butterfly ballot wouldn't have changed that (though it would have changed the result when they submitted the vote tally for the electoral college).

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, but then people have to count those, and people make mistakes.
The only advantage I can see is if you have multiple people counting, which is almost certainly what happens, but still.
Why are people so anti-computer suddenly?
I don't get it.

If you can mail your vote, then you can also just do it online.
Which would solve a ton of other problems too.

Also, Sean Spicer is speaking soon.

The 2020 census is going to be online.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wouldn't donate, would hate-smash

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Trump gonna dine with the people who will question Comey on Thursday

What are the chances that eventually it comes out that Trump asked Rubio and Cotton to sabotage the hearing?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

No, when the final tally was done months into his presidency, he still won, free and clear. Even the butterfly ballot wouldn't have changed that (though it would have changed the result when they submitted the vote tally for the electoral college).

Also, it's not really Bush's fault baby boomers are dumb as gently caress

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

"Essential medical bills"? Is there a racist-conversion-therapy treatment now?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scyantific posted:

What are the chances that eventually it comes out that Trump asked Rubio and Cotton to sabotage the hearing?

He's got the audio recorders so primed.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

mono posted:

"Essential medical bills"? Is there a racist-conversion-therapy treatment now?

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/871831439435845635

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Scyantific posted:

remember when rubio briefly grew a spine over tillersons confirmation only to vote him in anyway lol

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jose posted:

remember when rubio briefly grew a spine over tillersons confirmation only to vote him in anyway lol

Yeah he is totally gonna sabotage the hearing lmao

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, actual hole punches would probably not be great, but I was thinking more along the lines of optical mark recognition machines.

We use the optical mark recognition machines in Illinois.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Jose posted:

How are republicans not making GBS threads their pants daily over the approval ratings for EVERY action the administration is taking?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bag em and tag em posted:

How are republicans not making GBS threads their pants daily over the approval ratings for EVERY action the administration is taking?

despite watching what clinton did to the downticket vote they believe they're immune. also because midterms mean only their hardcore supporters vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bacon Taco posted:

LOL! Probably most of you are too young to remember the 60s and 70s when there were dozens of terrorist groups ranging from the mack daddy IRA who actually killed a lot of people, down to the Symbionese Liberation Army and a bunch of wannabe assholes. Every time someone did a car bombing or a bank robbery a dozen different groups would call in to "claim responsibility" and up their street cred. Now, ISIS doesn't even have to call in - Doland Jumanji Trump screams from the rooftops that "ISIS DID IT" every time anything bad happens anywhere. Sad!

Time did and article about it. 18 months between '71 and '72, 2,700 bombings in the US. http://time.com/4501670/bombings-of-america-burrough/