Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

maskenfreiheit posted:

also, cheating isn't abuse, just bad behavior. despite what you were told after they passed out the participation trophies, not everything bad your partner does is abusive

Don't you have somewhere else you can complain about kids these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

People who hire PIs are trash just break up you limp dick idiot

Gotta agree with this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

People who hire PIs are trash just break up you limp dick idiot

Sometimes it's to have evidence to take to court which makes sense actually

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Those people are already broken up, the PI isn't for that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Or you have obscene wealth. Gal I know got cheated on, hired a PI to take photos and then mailed the package to the guys whole family, friend circle, and professional circle then worked to have him kicked out of the US and removed from his college program.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Those people are already broken up, the PI isn't for that.

Fair

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Or you have obscene wealth. Gal I know got cheated on, hired a PI to take photos and then mailed the package to the guys whole family, friend circle, and professional circle then worked to have him kicked out of the US and removed from his college program.

What if it's part of an elaborate cuckold thing

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Blue Train posted:

Gotta agree with this

lol cause they catch you cause you are a cheating shithead

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

maskenfreiheit posted:

i qualified it with "low grade" because it's not as bad as cheating, but it is a form of abuse

also, cheating isn't abuse, just bad behavior. despite what you were told after they passed out the participation trophies, not everything bad your partner does is abusive

Monitoring and controlling all of a romantic partner's communications could be considered abuse. If you have strong reason for suspicion and have reason to believe that you will have certainty after looking at an email account or text history and check once, it is really stretching it to call that abuse.

Watering down the definition of abuse is harmful because it makes actual abuse harder for people who are seeing or experiencing abuse to identify it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
installed a app in case my phone got stolen, come to find out that my GF[23] has been snooping on my phone for a while now!

quote:

[I'm 25 and in Pharmacy School] Ok, I've read a bunch of "SO snooped on me" in this great reddit. My questions is what do I do? I caught her a while back (about a year), snooping when she brought up a conversation I has with a girl classmate over a class assignment. She said she would never do it again.

About a month ago I installed GotchYa, in case my phone got stolen. It takes pictures of the person trying to unlock the phone plus GPS locating. Well its been a month since i've installed it and 5 pictures have been recorded of her accessing my phone... Looking at the time stamps on the photos, they are all when I am sleeping (I have a very set sleeping schedule). I even went so far to make a distinct clean patter with the oil on the smartphone screen before I go to bed, and in the morning you can see all kinds of swipe marks on it.

We/ve been together for two years now, and live together... Our fights have always come down to her not trusting me. I'm the nice guy that always seems to finish last!!! I never cheated on anyone and I never will. What do I do? I'm sick of her not trusting me, and I constantly feel like i'm under investigation by her... The things that is the hard part is we have a lease together for about 8 more months :/

EDIT 1* : Oh and I have been letting it got for a month now, too gather evidence, and see how much she actually has been doing it...

tl;dr. Accidentally caught GF with smartphone app snooping through phone after she swore she wouldn't when I caught her a year ago doing it. What do I do?

I like that he avoiding burning his source for as long as possible. Good work McNulty.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

*people who cheat on their partners, callously violating someone's trust and potentially opening them up to an unknowing transmission of an STD*

"snooping is real bad and people that do it are bad and should be ashamed of themselves"

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

therobit posted:

Monitoring and controlling all of a romantic partner's communications could be considered abuse. If you have strong reason for suspicion and have reason to believe that you will have certainty after looking at an email account or text history and check once, it is really stretching it to call that abuse.

Watering down the definition of abuse is harmful because it makes actual abuse harder for people who are seeing or experiencing abuse to identify it.

http://www.loveisrespect.org/is-this-abuse/types-of-abuse/#tab-id-5

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

*people who cheat on their partners, callously violating someone's trust and potentially opening them up to an unknowing transmission of an STD*

"snooping is real bad and people that do it are bad and should be ashamed of themselves"

Agreed

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

maskenfreiheit posted:

i qualified it with "low grade" because it's not as bad as cheating, but it is a form of abuse

Just had to get that sick rear end participation trophy burn off, good one CBS

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

To be fair I am not cheating on my partners, my partners are cheating on theirs. Also I actually do wear condoms hth

Also I argued in favor of snooping but hiring a pi is stalking

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Blue Train posted:

To be fair I am not cheating on my partners, my partners are cheating on theirs. Also I actually do wear condoms hth

Also I argued in favor of snooping but hiring a pi is stalking

it's my right as an american to hire a gumshoe to track my dame

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Blue Train posted:

Hmm my best friend's car is in my driveway and I hear r&b playing, smell incense, and hear my girlfriend moaning. Better not check it out, wouldn't wanna snoop

looking at them when they're parked in your driveway not the same as monitoring their communications and reading their mail hth

cheating is also bad

if trust in your relationship has been eroded so far that you're going to hire a private eye or go through their mail and phone then THE TRUST HAS ALREADY ERODED, JUST loving LEAVE

it's not complicated, it's not a far-out idea, y'all just like to argue

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Girlfriend (21F) says "it's normal for girlfriends to snoop through their SO's facebook, all girls do it". Is it?`

quote:

TL;DR 22F GF says it is normal to look through private messages. Is it? Is it unreasonable for me to be annoyed by this?

Background: I am 22M. We met in school and were friends for 3 years then we started dating. (E: I've known her since 2006 and have been dating 4 years now) We were together for six months before moving to separate unis and continuing the relationship long distance. It was not without challenges but neither of us was unfaithful. She has always been quite jealous and this is not the first time that I have caught her going through my private messages/texts. (edit: The last time was about 2 years ago and her jealousy issues have improved a lot since then). She now works in our hometown while I am doing my masters' year in a town 2 hours away.

She came to visit last weekend and we were having a great time until I went out for a cycle and came back to find her flustered and closing tabs. I reopened them and found she had been in the history, deleting it. She had a post it note with a seemingly arbitrary time and date on it.

I asked her what she had been looking for but she would not tell me, and any time I tried to investigate she would not let me. I ended up physically lifting her out of the room and locking her out so I could see what she was looking at, since to my knowledge, there was really nothing I had to hide.

I found the post-it corresponded to some messages to some male friends. All the 5 minutes I was looking she was yelling for me to let her back in, which I ignored. I eventually let her back in and got her to calm down as she wanted to leave.

When I got her to talk about it, she claimed that the time corresponded to messages between us, she sent me a song, I sent her "sex bomb" by tom jones as a joke and she alleges that in between those messages I was looking at my ex gf's profile. This had actually happened at a different time a day later and it was evident she had copied it down wrong.

Edit: Can't believe I missed this out - I had not looked at anything to do with the ex-gf since december when history indicates i looked at some pics. GF thinks she might have accidentally deleted this but I see no way this would happen and I certainly have no recollection of it.

While I have nothing to hide I was quite upset about her seeming lack of trust and breach of my privacy. Even if the "you've nothing to hide you should let me search" was valid, it is clear that mistakes can be made (and they were here!) as we are only human. She insisted that most girlfriends do this and that it was entirely forgiveable, even though I made it very clear last time that my private messages are private.

Is it normal for SO's to look through messages and browsing history? I've never looked through hers.

Am I wrong to be upset by this? Is it unreasonable want to keep my messages private, whether or not I have something to hide?

Thanks everyone, I genuinely read every reply and have some good food for thought. I will have to have a good talk about it, which will be kinda hard because we've moved on from it now although you can see it's on my mind

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont hire a private investigator unless youre sure its just cheating because otherwise youll wind up dead as a sinister conspiracy closes in on the investigator who decides to finish your case pro bono because despite being a jaded man, deep down in there hes got a golden ticker.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

Girlfriend (21F) says "it's normal for girlfriends to snoop through their SO's facebook, all girls do it". Is it?`

He should have a password set and she shouldn't know it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Prank went wrong and my cousin was arrested (Florida)

quote:

My cousin and me both go to the same college. With some of our friends we sometimes get together on campus and play jokes or pranks on people on campus that we sometimes put on YouTube. It's always small, harmless stuff.
My cousin had the idea that we should go downtown and jump into random back seats of cars that we find unlocked and pretend we think the people were Uber drivers. It went wrong though.

That nighy my cousin jumped into this girls car and started telling her to drive and hurry up because he was late. The girl was yelling at him but then she accelerated the car into traffic and sped up. She hit a mailbox and a cop saw and she got out and was screaming that some guy jumped in her car and tried to hijack her. My cousin gor arrested at gunpoint.

We all tried to explain to the cops at the station but they thought we were just trying to cover for him and they kicked us out because we have never done something like this, our normal stuff is different and on campus. His parents are working on getting him a lawyer I think but he has to stay in jail until he goes to court.

We also found out that the girl goes to our school but we didn't know that and she said someone was stalking her or being creepy on campus to her. My cousin doesn't know her and this was just an accident and a prank gone wrong. They are blaming him for the crash. He has never been on trouble before except that he got caught with weed once and is on probation. What is the worst that could happen to him from this?

(Virginia) My cousin is an absolute idiot. He played dead as a prank on emergency personnel. What kind of charges could he be facing?

quote:

Basically, my cousin (16) decided it would be funny to play dead. He put some foam around his mouth and laid on the ground until his mother found him. She called 911 in a frenzy, an ambulance and the fire dept responded. My cousin continued to play dead as they started to work the code. He only gave up the game by laughing when they put some kind of breathing mask on him, I guess?

He figured it would be funny like an episode of Punk'd or something, but you can imagine how the firefighters reacted. They contacted the police and an officer came to deal with my cousin. He wasn't arrested right there, but the officer said that charges may come down in the near future.

How much trouble is my idiot cousin in?

[CA] Prank Went Wrong and I Punched Someone

quote:

At 4 in the morning, when going to the toilet, my 2 drunk flatmates decided it would be funny to hide (we have this perfectly places hole sort of thing, hard to describe) and leap out at my. I reacted fairly instinctively and may have broken her jaw slightly. Is the fact that I was acting on instinct and not malice a defence here? The victim doesn't want to involve the police and blames herself, but paramedics had to be called so a report was filed and she may not have a say in this.
I can't afford a lawyer so would have to wait to be charged to get a PD, until then I'm guessing it's be silent. What sort of trouble could I be in here?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
pranking is an affirmative defense

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

From TX, is it legal to continuosuly make prank calls in which I tell people to suck my dick and give my loving money back legal ?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lol at the comments on the first one

quote:

For his next prank, he should run into a jail cell, lock the door behind him, and then sit there for one to three years.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

fruit on the bottom posted:

Lol at the comments on the first one

lol glorious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Is releasing 72,000 ladybugs in my school as a senior prank considered vandalism?

quote:

Edit: forgot to put my location, it's in Wisconsin. I'm not gonna put the town however unless I have to because whether it's legal or not I do not want to be caught.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Prank went wrong and my cousin was arrested (Florida)

(Virginia) My cousin is an absolute idiot. He played dead as a prank on emergency personnel. What kind of charges could he be facing?

[CA] Prank Went Wrong and I Punched Someone

i'm baffled every time these sort of posts show up in this thread. is it a generational thing? should i blame a youtube celebrity? i need to get to the rotten core of this prankwave!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
In the olden days before social media, the prankster would just be murdered and the town would agree to speak no more of them

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My [28 F] husband [34 M] of 5+ years constantly lies to me about his buying/selling of electronics; just found out he sold my tablet and pocketed the cash

quote:

I'm at a loss right now and I have no one to turn to.

My husband of 5+ years (8ish years together) has a problem with lying to me. This has been a reoccurring theme in our relationship. The biggest symptom of the problem is his buying/selling of electronics - namely - keeping said transactions a secret and hiding accounts and funds from me. We are on a strict budget to put together an emergency fund and undertake some home improvement projects. He has lied to me repeatedly about these transactions, and he has admitted he has a problem.

I feel as if we're stuck in a toxic cycle that repeats every few months: he exhibits some sort of behavior I feel is suspect; I e-snoop (on my machine, looking at public accounts - still not proud of this); I find incriminating evidence; I confront him; he apologizes profusely and swears he'll change / work on it / etc; we go on for a few months as normal; cycle repeats.

Last night, my suspicions were raised. I googled his most frequently used account handle and clicked on Images. On the first page was a picture from a selling site of my iPad.
The iPad that I've been looking for for the last few months. The iPad that I mentioned not two nights prior and asked "do you think it's possible it was lost or stolen somewhere along the way?" to which he replied "who would steal it?" My jaw dropped and my heart started pounding. I clicked on the link and learned that he had sold my iPad a year ago for some insignificant amount.

I confronted him last night and he seemed genuinely remorseful. Or upset that he had been caught yet again. I feel completely and utterly betrayed. I don't know what to do or how to feel. Part of me wants to brush everything off and gloss over it. I don't want to leave. We have two small children. But I don't know how to move past all of the lies. He clearly has no issue lying to me. And it's likely what I've found is only the tip of the iceberg. I'm just not that good of a detective.

I'm at the point where I can't believe a single thing he says. Nothing would shock me at this point. I feel like I don't even know who this person is.

The idea of therapy has been thrown around every time one of these 'cycles' occurs. He was supposed to book a session last time this happened, but didn't. I gave him the name of two therapists last night and told him to make an appointment today, which he did. I'm scared of going to therapy, and I wonder if it can help us.

He's a redditor. If you stumble across this and you feel as if this has violated your privacy - I'm sorry. I wouldn't want to share this with anyone close to us, but I feel like I'm drowning.

tl;dr: Husband of 5+ years has a long history of lying to me. My trust in him is repeatedly broken and I'm wondering if our relationship can be saved.

The wife apologizing to her Redditor husband for invading his privacy by checking Ebay to see which of her belongings he's pawning hit me in the feels :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

i'm baffled every time these sort of posts show up in this thread. is it a generational thing? should i blame a youtube celebrity? i need to get to the rotten core of this prankwave!!!

There are more people living in environments where you could prank someone and they heydey of privilege passed so these people go to jail instead of getting off with warnings.

Also loving morons who watch prank videos on YouTube and think they are real life and not staged.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [28 F] husband [34 M] of 5+ years constantly lies to me about his buying/selling of electronics; just found out he sold my tablet and pocketed the cash

The wife apologizing to her Redditor husband for invading his privacy by checking Ebay to see which of her belongings he's pawning hit me in the feels :smith:

She needs to be figuring out how much half of his belongings is.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

In the olden days before social media, the prankster would just be murdered and the town would agree to speak no more of them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
So weird that no one saw anything. Spooky!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sisal Two-Step posted:

dumbfuck never changes

[Emergency!] (Ontario, Canada) Cops showed up at my friend's door. His parents aren't home, he's slightly panicked. What should he do?

quote:

Basically, his cousin, whom he was in a skype call with, prank called someone and they decided to contact the police. His cousin and him both know the person in real life. My friend did not partake in the prank call and was simply there when it happened but is still assumed to be involved. (There are multiple friends in my friend group that can say that he was not involved, just for the record.)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I support this treatment for all people who pull "pranks"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The guy (28/M) I've (25/F) recently been dating has told me that he's only ever had sex with women whose time he has paid for.

We met two months ago, on a dating app. I'm fairly new to the world of Tinder and OKC. He was the second guy I had met through a dating app. The first one didn't go so well, but when I met him, I felt comfortable and at ease as if we had known each other for years. We spent hours together on our first date. It was just supposed to be coffee, but we ended up grabbing food after and then going out for drinks.

Because of my work schedule, I don't have a lot of time to go on dates and stuff, so we mostly text. We've only gone out a handful of times. Every time, we learn more about each other. I've opened up to him about my relationship history (the fact that I was engaged a year and a half ago and that my ex had cheated on me, thus breaking it off) and that I've had a few casual encounters since but that I'm ready to start dating again.

He told me that he's only had one serious relationship, in his early 20's, and that it lasted a year. We've also had some very open discussions about sex, and he said he's had about twenty partners. I didn't really think much of it at the time. Although I've only had five sexual partners, I have friends who are in the fifties. It doesn't matter to me. As long as he's clean, it's not that big of a deal.

That said, the last time we saw each other (two nights ago) things got kind of heated between us at my place. We only stopped because my roommate came home and we were in the living room. The moment we relocated to my bedroom, I noticed that he was really nervous. Every step he took, he seemed to be overthinking it, and he overall just didn't seem to know how to go about it fluidly. It got to the point that I stopped him midway through taking my clothes off and asked if he had ever done this before. This being sex.

He told me he had, but that there was something he had been hiding from me. After a few seconds of silence, he told me that he lied to me about his ex. Apparently they had dated only a year prior, and apparently he was a virgin when he met her. As some people do, he went through most of his 20's trying and failing to have sex. I already knew he was on the more introverted side, but I had no idea how much he had struggled socially until then.
Although I was disappointed that he had lied to me, I did understand why he did it. He was embarrassed. He had no idea if we'd last. He had no idea he'd end up liking me and talking to me for as long as he has.

Because he had lied about his ex, I figured he had also lied about the number of women he had been with. When I asked about that, he very quickly told me that he hadn't lied about that part. The adamance with which he had said it, had left me wondering. I asked him if he had really had sex with twenty different women in the space of one year, and he told me that he had, and that as much as he had tried to have sex with his ex, he couldn't stay erect with her (probably due to watching too much porn and desensitizing himself by the time he had a real person in front of him) so when they broke up, he decided to try it with an escort.
Apparently he had no problems with the escort, so he kept at it ... and every partner he's had since has been someone whose time he's paid for.
In short, he has never had sex any other way.
I was in shock.

I could tell that it was really hard for him to tell me. I tried my best to remain calm, but I really couldn't digest it with him there, so I asked him if he could leave. He did. On his way out he apologized for lying to me and he said that he would understand if I never want to speak to him again.
It's been two days. I haven't contacted him since.

Honestly I liked him a lot before he told me all of that. He was awkward, but in a way that was almost endearing. At most I figured he was just shy. I'd like to be open minded, but don't know if I can date someone with his history. And honestly I feel kind of embarrassed now, but I can't figure out why that is. I'm not the one who lied.
The crazy part is that I still like and miss talking to him.
He texted me early this morning asking, "Have I ruined everything?"
I don't know what to say.
How would you feel about something like this?

tl;dr He originally lied to me to cover up the truth regarding his sexual history. I get why he did it. But I still feel really stupid and embarrassed now that I know the truth. And I like him too much at this point to just brush him off. What should I do?

UPDATE I haven't replied to his first text, and he's just now sent me another saying, "I guess it's over then," with a photo attached to it. He printed off one of the photos that I have on OKC, and, going by the stains on the paper, jerked off to and onto it. I might just vomit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So weird that no one saw anything. Spooky!

Shiva personally descended the heavens to kill that man, and you cant convince me otherwise.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol the update makes it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gently caress she might not be fully disgusted in me, EMERGENCY MEASURES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The argument about cheating as abuse makes me want to reshare this anecdote I posted earlier

Tender Bender posted:

My ex installed spy software on my PC because she didn't trust me. She found out I would sometimes say I was going to bed but actually play video games for an hour and then go to bed :geno: