Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I don't think I'd ever want to be in a position where EA is my defense.

The original EA was envisioned quite differently than it has become today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Is that lethality guy on the payroll or something?

His "business success" was scamming people with MLMs and vitamin water.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

megalodong posted:

Is that lethality guy on the payroll or something?

His "business success" was scamming people with MLMs and vitamin water.

Anyone who is positive about this scam is on the take

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
With the referral system they don't even need to be directly paid right? Like if some youtube moron managed to get hundreds of people to use his link he could be making money off enough idiots paying for a month of this game.

What if they include some star citizen preorder jpeg scheme in the referral system? Hell sign me up some shilling.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Holy poo poo, its Lethality. Anyone that followed Wildstar's train wreck will probably remember this guy. He rabidly defended the game well after it was pretty clearly indefensible, then wandered off to another game(I believe it was Blade and Soul) where he behaved the exact same way. He seems to just wander from MMO to MMO behaving exactly like this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

At least Blade and Soul wasn't complete trash. So he's 1 for 3!

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Lethality isn't the only person getting excited for this game, here's the only gaming podcast going crazy for it.

https://youtu.be/90dpLS2SpIs

futile
May 18, 2009
I would rather kickstart this game than watch that podcast.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I skimmed that video and at every point it was either the top left or the bottom right guy talking while everyone else looks kind of bored. I think Ill pass.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Holy poo poo, its Lethality. Anyone that followed Wildstar's train wreck will probably remember this guy. He rabidly defended the game well after it was pretty clearly indefensible, then wandered off to another game(I believe it was Blade and Soul) where he behaved the exact same way. He seems to just wander from MMO to MMO behaving exactly like this.

Lethality is the mine canary of MMOs

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So apparently the AoC obvious pyramid scheme, I mean referral program, was in violation of kickstarter's own rules. They lied to kickstarter about it, and kickstarter's not going to do anything.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ashes-of-creation-kickstarter/

quote:

Update, 2 June: After this report was published last week, we received conflicting accounts regarding Ashes of Creation’s referral program and whether or not it included donations received through Kickstarter. As the original story states, a Kickstarter spokesperson told us that this was against their rules and that Kickstarter had informed Intrepid Studios, who had complied by removing Kickstarter pledges from the referral program. Intrepid Studios’ Steven Sharif then released this statement via MMORPG.com’s forums, asserting that our reporting was false. As Sharif’s statement directly conflicted with what Kickstarter initially told me, I followed up with Kickstarter. This was the response, which confirms our initial reporting as accurate, but also acknowledges that Intrepid Studios did not remove Kickstarter pledges from the referral program: “The information I gave you is accurate, except, as I recently learned, the part where I said that this creator had excluded Kickstarter pledges from their referral program,” Kickstarter’s director of communications, David Gallagher, told me in an email. “[Intrepid Studios] told us that Kickstarter pledges would be removed from the program, making it entirely separate from the Kickstarter project, which we saw as an acceptable solution. It appears that this did not happen. [Intrepid Studios] said this week that based on [their] communication with us, [they] believed it was fine to continue to include pledges. That was not correct.” Despite the Ashes of Creation Kickstarter being in breach of Kickstarter’s policies, Gallagher informed me that they will not be taking any action against the campaign. “Given the potential for misinterpretation, the creator's removal of the reference to pledge referrals on [their] own site, and the fact that the Kickstarter project page did not mention the referral program, our Integrity Team has decided not to take any action against this project. We'll be revisiting the way we communicate our rules around referral programs to make sure our policies are clear to creators going forward.

So I guess if you generate enough money the ethics rules don't apply to your project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86IzjXPc_0

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sarsapariller posted:

So apparently the AoC obvious pyramid scheme, I mean referral program, was in violation of kickstarter's own rules. They lied to kickstarter about it, and kickstarter's not going to do anything.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ashes-of-creation-kickstarter/

So I guess if you generate enough money the ethics rules don't apply to your project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86IzjXPc_0

I guess, but Kickstarter only gets a 5% cut so it's only worth about $163K+. It could have been just bad timing that it all came to light after funding happened. It would look messy to cancel it right after funding. But yeah, it sucks.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I guess, but Kickstarter only gets a 5% cut so it's only worth about $163K+. It could have been just bad timing that it all came to light after funding happened. It would look messy to cancel it right after funding. But yeah, it sucks.

Expecting a tech startup to act ethically or follow rules that would cost it money is laughable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The libertarian superman leading these glorious startups have no use for your rules or concepts of fair play or treating employee like human beings with value!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Byolante posted:

Expecting a tech startup to act ethically or follow rules that would cost it money is laughable.

Especially one run by a guy whose business portfolio is scamming people about their health.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Calidor posted:

The original EA was envisioned quite differently than it has become today.

Also that's from an ad campaign. not a job posting or something

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sarsapariller posted:

This has been Kickstarter's attitude since forever.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

It took a big email campaign to get kickstarter to do anything about the guy kickstarting a manual on raping women and all they did was cancel it and let him keep the money

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AlmightyBob posted:

It took a big email campaign to get kickstarter to do anything about the guy kickstarting a manual on raping women and all they did was cancel it and let him keep the money

Okay, I'll bite. What is the context of this?

I don't get how that would even be a product if it weren't monstrously horrible. Wouldn't people who aspired to rape already know how it works, given that they're, you know, motivated to rape?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Okay, I'll bite. What is the context of this?

I don't get how that would even be a product if it weren't monstrously horrible. Wouldn't people who aspired to rape already know how it works, given that they're, you know, motivated to rape?

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/we-were-wrong

It was a "seduction guide", so basically imagine the worst PUA poo poo and there you go.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

One of the stretch goals was reading a fanfiction he wrote and recording it for youtube. That may well be the greatest kickstarter of all time, in a backwards kind of way.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Pull out your cock and put her hand on it. Remember, she is letting you do this because you have established yourself as a LEADER.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
There is a broken part of me that wants a game likes this to succeed. I want it to be real.

Maybe next time :sigh:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

TwingeCrag posted:

There is a broken part of me that wants a game likes this to succeed. I want it to be real.

Maybe next time :sigh:

Same but from someone else.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
ZAM: A chat with Ashes of Creation's Steven Sharif

quote:

I spoke with Intrepid Studios' founder and Creative Director Steven Sharif, who has been playing MMORPGs for two and a half decades. "My first MMORPG was Neverwinter on AOL when I was seven years old," says Sharif. "I've always had a passion for MMORPGs -- it's my favorite genre. Intrepid Studios was born out of my frustration for the direction the MMORPG genre was going into: monetization tactics like pay-to-win and cash-grab games."

quote:

If you're not confident enough to back them on Kickstarter, Sharif is confident he'll win you over when the game is live. "I think the Golden Age of MMORPGs has yet to come," he says. "I believe Ashes of Creation will lead the genre into that Golden Age, and I can't wait to be a part of those memories that we're all going to create together."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

More power to them in that regard. If that one in ten trillion chance that they make a good game is pulled off, I'll happily give them money to come play in their golden age playground. I never feel bad about spending money on a fun game.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I love that they always lead with his super awesome qualification of playing video games for a long time.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Zaodai posted:

More power to them in that regard. If that one in ten trillion chance that they make a good game is pulled off, I'll happily give them money to come play in their golden age playground. I never feel bad about spending money on a fun game.

I hope this too of all games but

Comrayn posted:

I love that they always lead with his super awesome qualification of playing video games for a long time.

makes me lol

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Zaodai posted:

This, and I don't understand why this is looked down on these days by the elite MMO crowdfunders. No, I don't think this game will be successful, but I hold nothing against them, and if it comes out and is good, I will give them a fuckload of money.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I have this awesome idea for a game, all I need are programmers and artists to make it a reality
--every wannabe designer and the Ashes of Creation management

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Pryce posted:

This, and I don't understand why this is looked down on these days by the elite MMO crowdfunders. No, I don't think this game will be successful, but I hold nothing against them, and if it comes out and is good, I will give them a fuckload of money.

I assume everyone wants more good games but it's also funny when these guys say silly things, and it is OK to laugh at them, while also hoping their games don't suck, but anticipating they will based on history with this kind of funding.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheAgent posted:

I have this awesome idea for a game, all I need are programmers and artists to make it a reality
--every wannabe designer and the Ashes of Creation management

I think the Ashes of Creation management quote would be more like "I have this great idea for getting a bunch of money and fleeing to Uruguay. Now all I need is some concept art."

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
just so you guys know Im making a video game where the world is real and all the NPCs have real brains and think and will do quests and fight other npcs before you, also the world will have real simulated politics because I used procedural algorithims and, uh, mother fuckin science bitch. give me one million dollars

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
if you are considering pledging 5000 to 10000 dollars to this game you should considering giving me the money instead as i promise i'll make this video game where the computer monsters are so intelligent they speak to you in real time and also they'll become so smart you'll befriend them and forget youre real friends. also, there will be swords.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Space Bat posted:

just so you guys know Im making a video game where the world is real and all the NPCs have real brains and think and will do quests and fight other npcs before you, also the world will have real simulated politics because I used procedural algorithims and, uh, mother fuckin science bitch. give me one million dollars

You need these special VR glasses to play this game that cost a mere thousand bucks a pop.

*hands over a pair of regular glasses*

You'll find it's very realistic and it generates an algorithm off your actual real world location. But don't worry you can totally do whatever you want and attack whatever you want, it's all part of the game.

*slips out the side door with a messenger bag stuffed with cash*

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Space Bat posted:

This sounds real good if it works out, brb taking out another mortgage

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Space Bat posted:

if you are considering pledging 5000 to 10000 dollars to this game you should considering giving me the money instead as i promise i'll make this video game where the computer monsters are so intelligent they speak to you in real time and also they'll become so smart you'll befriend them and forget youre real friends. also, there will be swords.

What is your experience like? Have you been a gamer for 20 years? Can I refer someone to your game and keep 25% of what they spend?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Space Bat posted:

Do you accept Star Citizen jpegs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
it warms my heart to know another kickstarter mmo has fleeced idiots of way too much money and generally exists