Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

You have probably seen this being shilled on MassivelyOP for the past year. It's looking pretty fun so I guess it's time to start shilling this myself.

quote:

Overview

Ashes of Creation is an upcoming Unreal Engine 4-based MMORPG by Intrepid Studios set in a high fantasy open world. We believe in choice, organic events, player narratives and massive communities. All of these come together in what we call our “Reactive World.” Players will shape the world we create through dynamic quests, castle sieges, our Node system, an economy that goes well beyond the auction house, and player housing (among many other systems). We’ll set up the initial state, you decide where it goes from there.

Player driven world | Ashes of Creation’s node system will offer players the unique experience of building the world up around them, but not everyone shares a common view. Every node in Ashes of Creation can be built up or destroyed by player actions. Will you take up arms to defend your home or exact your vengeance on those who dared challenge you?

A reactive experience | Discover unique story arcs as the world unfolds around you - the world grows with the players. The narrative in Ashes of Creation will be an entirely different experience, as storylines will either blossom or wither based on player activity.

Castle Sieges | Heavy lies the crown. Muster your guild and recruit allies to partake in Ashes of Creation’s massive open world castle siege warfare. Does your guild have what it takes to seize control, can your dynasty stand the test of time?

quote:

Videos

Gameplay video "Ashes of Creation - It's Dangerous To Go Alone (Dungeon Gameplay Test - Pre Alpha Footage)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iNpeHv7l1Y

10 minutes of gameplay compilation (lots of outdated UI elements and stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3WKcb18PA

Seasonal weather first look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RK4z8tQwHU

Christmas 2016 teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfuTzaEiEWo

quote:

Screenshots

quote:

Player vs Environment

The environment in Ashes of Creation is a visually stunning realm, with fantastical beasts and creations designed to both inspire awe and instill fear. The world is harsh and unforgiving, presenting a clear and present danger to the players. Dungeons, demons and dragons, oh MY!
Our unique and adaptive AI means that an encounter with similar creatures will yield a completely different experience to adapt to as a player. Keeping you on your toes for constantly changing responses from your adversary. The world awaits its heroes.

Player vs Player

Player combat in Ashes of Creation is both vast and intimate. It spans many aspects of the game itself. From great political battles held on the fields of massive castles, to open world conflicts fought for the pride of Guild Leaders. A player can choose to participate in the fate of the world by swaying the tide of battle with his or her combat prowess.
Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest; fight for control over cities, castles, caravans, or hunting grounds. Our PvP is designed to offer the players a well-balanced and fair world to shape through the pen, or sword should they choose.

quote:

Nodes

Ashes of Creation is a unique take on the MMO experience. Our world structure is dynamic and built to react to the actions of our players. Cities will rise and fall, their populations based on the history of the world as the players create it. Quests will unlock as these populations gather, their needs grow, and secrets are unlocked.
As the world’s NPC structure is established in real time, players will have the ability to destroy what they’ve created, paving the way for new development, new populations, and real change. Political strife and intrigue will play a very real role in the structure of your world.
Gone are the days of static worlds, change is always happening.

Node system demonstration part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg

Node system demonstration part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk

Trade

We want our players to have a reason to explore the wilderness, to travel with purpose, and much of that will be driven by our resource system. Transporting these goods might just be more difficult than gathering them. Our regional market system allows players to participate in creating pocket economies that will reinforce the stability of goods in particular regions.
Players will be able to move resources and set up shop in other areas to take advantage of the varied markets. With resources spawning dynamically, certain regions will naturally become important trading hubs for the transportation of goods throughout the world.

Crafting and gathering

Crafting and gathering is a very important component of the economy that players will have direct control over. Whether you wish to build a sprawling plantation around your house, or wish to travel the vast wilderness in search of treasure and resources. There are many tools available to the crafters of our world.
Regardless of how you gather your resources, we believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator. As such, there will be extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses.

Caravans

Our caravan system in Ashes of Creation revolves around opportunity and risk. Caravans facilitate the transfer of goods for players wishing to turn a profit. Initiating a caravan from one city to another will create a caravan that players will need to defend while it moves along its route to the selected destination.
These caravans create a static PvP zone around them, allowing players to engage in PvP with the defenders and attempt to destroy the caravans in order to loot the content. These caravans will be integral in city development.

Housing

Players will have the ability to survey and develop land anywhere in the world. Be a pioneer deep in the wilderness, build the home of your dreams, and work the land to cultivate resources and supplies. Alternatively, stick with civilization and safety in numbers – purchase a home within the confines of a village and watch your investment grow as that village turns into a city.
Homeowners in our game will have the ability to develop their plot of land as they see fit. Focus on farming, animal husbandry, or own your very own smithy. You’ll be able to specialize your land to maximize your profits or your comfort – be sure to choose wisely.

Sieges

Throughout Ashes of Creation, the player has an opportunity to participate in massively multiplayer siege warfare. Since castles are likely the world’s most limited resource, it will be a task to secure and hold them. Involving hundreds of players on a single battlefield, our sieges will employ many moving parts and intricate design features. Because of the difficult nature of taking and keeping a castle there are great rewards available to the players for their efforts. Castles will allow players to exert control over nearby lands and allow for the development of unique buildings in the nearby towns.

quote:

Frequently asked questions

Are there factions?
No. This is a non-faction based game. Players are open to interact with anyone and everyone.

How does the class system work?
We have a unique and detailed class system, which we will discuss further in a developer’s blog. For now, I can say that we have 8 archetypes. You will choose an archetype as your primary class that you will level from starting level to max level. Along the way, you will choose a secondary class from the 8 archetypes. That secondary class will augment your primary class’ abilities and skills. In total, our class system will have 64 distinct classes, of which there will be a wide variety of customization in skills and abilities based on the player’s choices.

Who is making this?

This started as the brainchild of Steven Sharif, who is the founder and creative director. He brought on a small team of industry vets from here in San Diego, a lot of them from SOE/Daybreak, and a few fellows from more distant pastures. We’ve got quite a bit of specifically MMO experience here: folks who have seen the ups and downs of MMOs and know what mistakes to avoid. Our team comes from many different studios and projects like; Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 1, Everquest 2, Everquest Next, Vanguard, Bioshock, Gears of War, Planetside 1 and Planetside 2, Call of Duty, X-Com.

Business model?
We’re going with a subscription-based, no box, cosmetic-focused marketplace. We want to ensure that we can continue to support and provide content for people for a long time, and a subscription model helps us to do that. We want players to have a good relationship with our marketplace, and don’t want to have to have the kind of marketplace that a F2P game would need to have in order for our long term vision to work out.

If you decide to do anything with this game or you're even interested in it, use this link to sign up. It'll really help with being able to get some guild perks. Registering also reserves your username and puts you in the weekly raffle for friends & family alpha entry and other giveaways:getin:
https://ashesofcreation.com/r/6GDZE9VHVAT1QVSU

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Was EQN also on UE?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
same

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Looks interesting. I signed up with the link.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Shy posted:

Was EQN also on UE?

EQN was going to use their in house engine that H1Z1/Planetside 2 uses but included some voxel tech to do "world layers" where there'd be underground caverns and stuff randomly generated in the world. It also included the debut of something called "storybricks" which was used to generate dynamic events and iterate on the sandbox world similar to Ashes of Creation's node mechanic.
Storybricks was used in John Smedley's new game "Hero's Song" (and it was pretty impressive tbh, it kept the game interesting long after it would've been otherwise) but that didn't get a second round of funding largely due to the art style and stigma of early access plus John Smedley. Smed and many members of his team that were working on Hero's Song got picked up by Amazon to open up a new development studio.

Amazon might have picked those guys up to work on an Everquest Next successor (they're already working on a sandbox MMO called New World) but until then, this seems like it's the closest thing to EQN and their output has been really impressive for little over a year of development.
https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/articles/13193/industry-vet-john-smedley-joins-amazon-to-head-up.html

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 29, 2017

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Lol another Kickstarter mmo.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
EQN was such a success why wouldn't you give them money?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

lalaland posted:

EQN was such a success why wouldn't you give them MORE money?

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Ok, the node system was the tipping point for me along with the other checkboxes they hit. Player housing, seasons/weather, player economy, and most of all, individualized player crafted items are the things that I've wanted more than most. That sort of crafting system costs a ton in database resources and has been practically non-existent since SWG.

I think this is worth a registration.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Perhaps Smedly is working on Amazon Games Studios new MMO 'New World', of which we know nothing about. Anywho, I signed up for this one.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jebediah posted:

Perhaps Smedly is working on Amazon Games Studios new MMO 'New World', of which we know nothing about. Anywho, I signed up for this one.

That's what's strange about all this. They started a new studio in San Diego, New World is being developed in Seattle (hired a bunch of Bellevue tech talent from places like ArenaNet and Turtle Rock).

Either they're providing support for one of the existing projects or there's a fourth game in development. They picked up the Hero's Song team that worked with/on Storybricks so whatever it is, it'll at least be interesting.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i saw this and think its interesting but it ticks off a lot of bad things(tm) checkmarks. smed has nothing to do with this game, right?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

i saw this and think its interesting but it ticks off a lot of bad things(tm) checkmarks. smed has nothing to do with this game, right?

Nope, but they're both in San Diego and I wouldn't be surprised if he's consulting as a professional courtesy to his former employees.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think its interesting but its also a kickstarter sandbox mmo and that basically means its probably DOA

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

eonwe posted:

i think its interesting but its also a kickstarter sandbox mmo and that basically means its probably DOA

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

eonwe posted:

:boom:

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Will be keeping my eye on this one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
theres a hosed up part of me thats like, I'll pledge

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

eonwe posted:

Thread was posted by ADL, probably isn't needed in that sentence

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Byolante posted:

Thread was posted by ADL, probably isn't needed in that sentence

nah man this one time there was a piece of corn in the poo poo, there's a chance this pile could be good

just give it a chance

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
has any kickstarter open world MMO actually released at this point?

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
isn't a chance in hell I don't not consider 100% wasting money on this

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Kickstarter is live
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios?ref=hero_thanks

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Tough to resist a chat emoji pack, they're even tiered too.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
According to the staff list on the KS, their studio has 5 artist/animators, 4 designers, 0 engineers.

Cool.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
You don't need engineers to create kickstarter artwork

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I know everyone does it but I really don't like the idea of cosmetics only as a cash shop being a selling point for a subscription based mmo. They have f2p games that are cosmetic only. It's always seemed greedy for me for a sub based game.

I also had backed Crowfall so that was clearly a worse decision in the things they sell in game shop.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Honestly cosmetic cash shop makes a fair amount of sense for any MMO. It gives them a reason to develop more fancy poo poo without it being game-breaking or locking mechanics behind a paywall. WoW ends up doing it for mounts and pets, Planetside 2 did it with camo and armor, etc.

That said, I have no real faith that this is going to end up going well. I'm not surprised they've raised $400k already, though i am a little surprised they're asking only $750k to try and make a super ambitious open-world MMO. I don't know necessarily that the tech is out there for their plan to work and not be half-assed even if they knew what they were doing, and I imagine this will end up as a janky, half-finished mess.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
$402,945
pledged of $750,000 goal

this is actually going to happen lol

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Pryce posted:

According to the staff list on the KS, their studio has 5 artist/animators, 4 designers, 0 engineers.

Cool.

Welcome to millennial game development.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also it's a nice touch that even with all their artists, they couldn't be asked to have the backer tier image not have the little pictures overlap the text, so you get places where the actual reward information is covered up by a horses rear end. :allears:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Can't wait to play this player driven economy kickstarter mmo that will definitely not only release but be good and fun and have no mentally ill people just like all the others before it.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
welp, another flaming wreck to watch I guess

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
This game is going to be subbed based? Lol if you pledge money to this

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Gotta put your money where your mouth is sometimes :^)

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 1, 2017

Muxik
Jan 24, 2015
As I read the post I found the game a bit too much to be believable but then I read the part about there only being 64 completely distinct, viable, flavorful player classes and realized this is an entirely feasible project and the devs are actually being really humble in expressing what they can pull off.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Muxik posted:

As I read the post I found the game a bit too much to be believable but then I read the part about there only being 64 completely distinct, viable, flavorful player classes and realized this is an entirely feasible project and the devs are actually being really humble in expressing what they can pull off.

Can't wait for the stretch goals where they add 8 more classes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pryce posted:

Can't wait for the stretch goals where they add 8 more classes.

And 50 additional genders for the character creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Gotta put your money where your mouth is sometimes :^)

whoa a lifetime subscription to a game that wont exist such value!!