Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Shouldn't they like, knock on doors first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I mean it's a makeup counter and they haven't installed the mirror yet. I'm hoping?

Those uneven counters would drive me loving nuts though.

Internet Google posted:

Standard bath vanity height is 30-34 inches, but 26-29 inches is more common for sit-down vanities.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CJacobs posted:

I just can't get enough of standing in my own pee. But then again, it is too bad there isn't some kind of receptacle where I could put my pee where I wouldn't have to stand in it. Hmm.

If you end up standing in your pee you got yourself a drainage problem.

Snake that shower drain.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CJacobs posted:

I just can't get enough of standing in my own pee.

Frank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNigBNUWOs

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I just can't get enough of standing in my own pee. But then again, it is too bad there isn't some kind of receptacle where I could put my pee where I wouldn't have to stand in it. Hmm.

Are you literally a horse because it'd take a hell of a lot of flow

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bunch of loving slumlords in that part of Atlanta.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shower and sink drains are sometimes connected to greywater outflow such as a storm drain, while toilets are connected to sewer lines that go to a treatment plant. Pee is fairly benign but even so, we treat human waste differently from merely "dirty water" for a reason.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Safety Dance posted:

Bunch of loving slumlords in that part of Atlanta.

"Do you have stairs in your house?"
"I used to..."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Strange that some resident got letters warning about the stairs removal and some of them didn't.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HardDiskD posted:

Strange that some resident got letters warning about the stairs removal and some of them didn't.

"we're going to replace the stairs, and we'll pay for a hotel room and give you rent credit for the time your apartment is inaccessible"

Honestly, this is more one for the Schadenfreude thread.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

"we're going to replace the stairs, and we'll pay for a hotel room and give you rent credit for the time your apartment is inaccessible"

Apparently only some residents got the warning, and even if you all had you should check to make sure the apartments are vacated before removing access to them. What if someone had run back for something, or over slept, or couldn't read the notice?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
A lot of apartments are lazy as gently caress when it comes to notices too. Mine has literally taped a notice at the staircase and called it good on multiple occasions (one reason I'm in the process of moving)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of apartments are lazy as gently caress when it comes to notices too. Mine has literally taped a notice at the staircase and called it good on multiple occasions (one reason I'm in the process of moving)

"Hi, apartment dwellers! We (city public works) are going to turn off the water today while we work!" - posted after 8 AM the day of. So, I don't find out about it until I get home for lunch at noon...

Of course, last summer's street repaving and changing around fuckuping had the water getting shut off on multiple days at random, no notice whatsoever. :iiam:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Still, they started demolition without checking first if anyone was still home.

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a rule when it comes to letters thanks to advertisers. If a letter is marked "important", it never is.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's all pipes!
This is why I just pee in my internet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was going through some old pictures today and found this one I'd been meaning to post for a while. Probably even mentioned it here and there. It's not quite "the fire department had to come and get us out with a ladder" or "the landlord stole a platform from the Home Depot parking lot to replace the stairs", but it's something.

Context: that entrance door used to be ground level until they dug up the entire lot to build another house. They put up those wooden stairs and left them up for I'm gonna say 18 months to 2 years in, as you can see, any weather. By the end they were falling apart pretty badly. People would step outside on the top platform to smoke and all, and if you got more than two persons standing there, things definitely got moving.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mllaneza posted:

Not exactly.

quote:

The letter offered to pay for hotel rooms for residents who had to move out.

"Rent credit will be given for you to stay in a hotel tonight and rent will not be charged for the amount of days it takes to get it repaired. You can have the option of being released from your lease without any penalty," the letter read.

Tiller said she and her neighbors decided to stay in the apartments after management used wood beams to support the staircase.

Rent credit isn't the same as cash in hand. Some people may not be able to afford to pay for hotel rooms up front even if it's going to be taken off next month's rent.

It isn't clear, but the way it is phrased also makes it sound like they are only paying for one night at a hotel, plus 1/30th of your rent for each additional day the building is uninhabitable. Maybe the entire letter spelled it out better.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slugworth posted:

This is why I just pee in my internet.

Pee over IP

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
IT hertz WAN IP

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

IT hertz WAN IP

use wireshark or consult a physician

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not exactly.

Rent credit isn't the same as cash in hand. Some people may not be able to afford to pay for hotel rooms up front even if it's going to be taken off next month's rent.

It isn't clear, but the way it is phrased also makes it sound like they are only paying for one night at a hotel, plus 1/30th of your rent for each additional day the building is uninhabitable. Maybe the entire letter spelled it out better.

You missed the best part there!

quote:

You can have the option of being released from your lease without any penalty," the letter read.

Good luck moving all of your possessions down the broken/removed stairs!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Let's be fair: they weren't pulling the stairs down for shits and giggles; they were replacing them because they were dangerously falling apart

i think they deserve some credit for not just nailing a few 2x4s across them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't understand how they only had one set of stairs to exit their domicile

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"Hi, apartment dwellers! We (city public works) are going to turn off the water today while we work!" - posted after 8 AM the day of. So, I don't find out about it until I get home for lunch at noon...

Of course, last summer's street repaving and changing around fuckuping had the water getting shut off on multiple days at random, no notice whatsoever. :iiam:

I didn't get pictures of it, but there's a residential street near my home that just got repaved, and I think there's a few people that didn't get the memo; there are about 6 cars stranded on their driveways now.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

moist turtleneck posted:

Most apartments in converted houses (ie most of the older apartments in my city) have only one set of stairs. My weird L-shaped 25-apartment building has two, but the two second-floor hallways (one of which is technically a 3rd-floor hallway because the building is on a slope) each access two different stairwells and the halls are not connected to each other except through my apartment. My "back door" goes directly from my bathroom to the other hallway. There are also a set of basement-level apartments which have another set of stairs specifically for them. This is what happens when you renovate a building from 1817.

There's a joke here about stairs in my house/protection but I can't think of it right now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't think that Atlanta/GA requires two exits for a second-floor unit; at least, none of the places I lived in while I was in GA (most of which were second floor) had more one set of stairs.

Also possible that it's against code and no one does anything about it, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

moist turtleneck posted:

There are generally things in the code that allow for a single stair to service a building based on a certain maximum floor area, specially if there are windows connected some sort of exterior fire escape system. These codes have gotten tighter and tighter over the last 50 years to the point that exterior fire escapes and lovely ladders don't really count for poo poo anymore outside of old heritage houses. I've done work on quite a few renos where a big old house was cut up into maybe 8 suites, 3 on the ground, 3 on the 2nd, and 2 in the 3rd/attic and the upper suites are only served by a single stair, but there's emergency fire exit ladders at designated windows.

I also did some work on a huge old mansion turned into apartments where on the upper floors there were only 2 old school exterior fire escapes, but about 6 units. I noticed the 2 units with the fire escapes had glass doors, painted to be solid and I asked about it. In case of fire everyone on that floor are to smash the glass of one of the 2 apartments with fire exits and use those. So if there's a fire, break into your neighbour's apartment.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baronjutter posted:

So if there's a fire, break into your neighbour's apartment.

a dude in my old lovely building used to pull the fire alarm and then try to rob people's apartments who didn't lock them. needless to say this criminal mastermind was eventually apprehended considering the response time for the FD was like six minutes usually

also they eventually worked out he was the only person not standing outside during the fire alarm

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SoundMonkey posted:

a dude in my old lovely building used to pull the fire alarm and then try to rob people's apartments who didn't lock them. needless to say this criminal mastermind was eventually apprehended considering the response time for the FD was like six minutes usually

also they eventually worked out he was the only person not standing outside during the fire alarm

Who actually pays attention during a fire alarm?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

People who didn't live in college dorms, I guess.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just went to switch the switch in the laundry room with a nice motion sensor. Three wires, thought it would go nice and easy.

Figure out which is which, wire it all up. Nothing. Pull out the meter, check some things, everything seems ok. Pull the light fixture off to see WTF:

* Wirenuts? What are those? We'll just twist and electrical tape it.
* They used 14/3, and cut off the ends of the red wire (on the run to the switch)
* Why switch the hot when you can switch the neutral!

Redid all the wiring, it works fine now.

The best part is our old washing machine which dimmed all the lights whenever it spun up the motor used to be running off this junction.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Who actually pays attention during a fire alarm?

this place had pipes explode every week and all the 80-ish suites still had screw-in fuses (and not the good kind, the smaller kind that are impossible to get.) so to answer your question, loving everyone.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SoundMonkey posted:

this place had pipes explode every week and all the 80-ish suites still had screw-in fuses (and not the good kind, the smaller kind that are impossible to get.) so to answer your question, loving everyone.

What a bunch of wimps.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

There are generally things in the code that allow for a single stair to service a building based on a certain maximum floor area, specially if there are windows connected some sort of exterior fire escape system. These codes have gotten tighter and tighter over the last 50 years to the point that exterior fire escapes and lovely ladders don't really count for poo poo anymore outside of old heritage houses. I've done work on quite a few renos where a big old house was cut up into maybe 8 suites, 3 on the ground, 3 on the 2nd, and 2 in the 3rd/attic and the upper suites are only served by a single stair, but there's emergency fire exit ladders at designated windows.

I also did some work on a huge old mansion turned into apartments where on the upper floors there were only 2 old school exterior fire escapes, but about 6 units. I noticed the 2 units with the fire escapes had glass doors, painted to be solid and I asked about it. In case of fire everyone on that floor are to smash the glass of one of the 2 apartments with fire exits and use those. So if there's a fire, break into your neighbour's apartment.

Maybe in your part of the world, but every lovely apartment complex I've every been in in ATL has a single set of external stairs leading to the second floor. I don't think I've every seen a fire escape on any building.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to die

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're going to die and the fish will be laughing at your crumpled body.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

It's ok, there's a stool there to catch you

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Bottom step needs to be the same color as that rug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Buff Skeleton posted:

It's ok, there's a stool there to catch you

As you end up dying Dead-Like-Me-style by getting your eye/brain pecked out by a dead pheasant.