Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

just no notice them ffs

i no-noticed a job once. it was worth it. even on my deathbed ill be able to call up the memory of that phone call (when they called me on day 2) "yeah, i'm not coming in today... or ever again" :fap:

the thing keeping me from doing this is that the project i'm working on (improving care for transgender patients) is really important to me and i want to make sure it gets handed off well. gently caress the company but i care about improving trans people's lives. that said i'll probably just give the two weeks i was planning to because that's plenty of time to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

epic is clown shoes.

pretty sure withholding accrued pto is just straight illegal, might be state law though, I know in california you always get it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

the thing keeping me from doing this is that the project i'm working on (improving care for transgender patients) is really important to me and i want to make sure it gets handed off well. gently caress the company but i care about improving trans people's lives. that said i'll probably just give the two weeks i was planning to because that's plenty of time to do that.

do they actually let you work those 2 weeks?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

pretty sure withholding accrued pto is just straight illegal, might be state law though, I know in california you always get it

it's a state-level thing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

do they actually let you work those 2 weeks?

yeah most people work until their last day. why burn bridges?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cis autodrag posted:

it's a state-level thing.

http://www.blr.com/HR-Employment/Benefits-Leave/Vacations-in-Wisconsin

basically they have to unless they say they wont. thanks government.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

yeah most people work until their last day. why burn bridges?

some companies lock you out of the system and tell you to go home and just pay out those two weeks

epic seems like that kind of company

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

why would you ever let an employee who just quit hang around the office

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

some companies lock you out of the system and tell you to go home and just pay out those two weeks

nah, theyre constantly way too short handed (because of a billion things ive talked about before) so they cant afford not to have someone working while theyre on payroll.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

I wish they did that to me. I wanted to be on vacation for two weeks, not digging through my office searching for lost devices.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

power botton posted:

Because sometimes there is no conflict of interests and the person is happy to keep working and being paid until the company can organise for a replacement. P.much my old company would only ever kick you out of the office if you were going to work for a competitor.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Because sometimes there is no conflict of interests and the person is happy to keep working and being paid until the company can organise for a replacement. P.much my old company would only ever kick you out of the office if you were going to work for a competitor.

epic will fire you immediately and try to sue you for this, lol

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

happy to keep working and being paid

'working'

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

what is epic, are we talking about epic games here

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

why would you ever tell your current employer who your new employer is going to be?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

what is epic, are we talking about epic games here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Systems

edit: lol they've clearly self-edited that since the last time i looked at it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Systems

edit: lol they've clearly self-edited that since the last time i looked at it.

oh, healthcare, yeah no surprises there

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

power botton posted:

in some jobs i have seen people walked to the door the moment they gave 2 weeks notice. HR says your last two weeks is two weeks of PTO just don't come in and we pay you for two weeks and you go away.

I have also seen some people accept a better offer and stay on for a month longer (at the employers request) to finish a certain project before moving on.

don't burn bridges, you never know what weirdo on the other end of that bridge might help you out later. You might not see them for 20 years, but 20 years is a long rear end time. when you see them in 20 years all that matters is that you parted ways professionally, you don't want to apply for a job and realize its the HR guy who you handed a poo poo smeared resignation letter to 20 years ago.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
epic seems like one of those companies that looks cool as hell to work for but then you either work there and realize it's not, or hear the horror stories from people who have

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

C.H.O.M.E posted:

in some jobs i have seen people walked to the door the moment they gave 2 weeks notice. HR says your last two weeks is two weeks of PTO just don't come in and we pay you for two weeks and you go away.

I have also seen some people accept a better offer and stay on for a month longer (at the employers request) to finish a certain project before moving on.

don't burn bridges, you never know what weirdo on the other end of that bridge might help you out later. You might not see them for 20 years, but 20 years is a long rear end time. when you see them in 20 years all that matters is that you parted ways professionally, you don't want to apply for a job and realize its the HR guy who you handed a poo poo smeared resignation letter to 20 years ago.

pretty much this. at my last job i gave 2 months because it was right in the middle of an important project that i was entirely in charge of. the project got completed on time and they even had someone lined up to take over my role within a week or two of me officially leaving. that company will now probably re-hire me if i ever so wished.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the thing is you don't even realise half the time how far up the food chain your dogshit will travel. one of our interns once accepted a full time role with us and then proceeded to slag the company off big time on social media before pulling a no show on start day. it went all the way up to the CTO lol.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

RISCy Business posted:

epic seems like one of those companies that looks cool as hell to work for but then you either work there and realize it's not, or hear the horror stories from people who have

LMOs posting here has been hilarious and fascinating because Epic recruits really hard at area universities. Some of my classmates went to work for them with the knowledge that they have a reputation for working young devs to death and then spitting them out after 1-2 years but the justification was always "yeah but you get so much money!!!"

Every time I saw them at job fairs I just recalled LMO posts while they gave their "Hey kids! Wanna do something EPIC on our awesome, quirky campus!?" pitch and tried not to laugh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
this fuckin recruiter man. emailed this morning to say he would call at 2. then emailed an hour later to say he would call at 4. now it's 4:20 and not a peep. no respect for my time. it's like this every time he needs to contact me.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
my current manager finally had a realization they are boned as soon as im gone and panic-called his md get the vp to authorize hiring me as an fte

no clue if he'll agree or what figgies they'd offer but lol at doing this six days till im a ghost and am neck-deep in arrangements for moving and not four loving weeks ago when I told him I was leaving

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I gave eight weeks notice once and worked through it because it was eofy and I didn't want to ditch my sales team when they were trying to close things. also that way I qualified for my annual bonus that year. went to a competitor. at some point a decent handover is worth something to most places if they think you are basically trustworthy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PierreTheMime posted:

my current manager finally had a realization they are boned as soon as im gone and panic-called his md get the vp to authorize hiring me as an fte

no clue if he'll agree or what figgies they'd offer but lol at doing this six days till im a ghost and am neck-deep in arrangements for moving and not four loving weeks ago when I told him I was leaving
you will never have more leverage in your life than right now

ask for all the figgies

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

this fuckin recruiter man. emailed this morning to say he would call at 2. then emailed an hour later to say he would call at 4. now it's 4:20 and not a peep. no respect for my time. it's like this every time he needs to contact me.

that's not this recruiter, that's all recruiters

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've never found any recruiter to be at all useful.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

why would you ever tell your current employer who your new employer is going to be?

my boss once let a guy go before his two weeks because he wouldn't tell him who his new employer was

a weird hill to die on I guess

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

I've never found any recruiter to be at all useful.

Is this hyperbole? I've been contacted by quite a few recruiters and haven't responded to any, but I've read some of their pitches that outline them getting people 6 month contracts and then getting hired. Doesn't sound like the worst to me but I don't really know too much about the recruiting business and I haven't really seriously started looking for a new job until now.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

you will never have more leverage in your life than right now

ask for all the figgies

+ contractually obligated signing bonus thats big enough to hold you over if everything spectacularly collapses later

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i know it's way harder to find a new job when you don't have one, but it's getting really tempting to leave and take some time off before finding something new. anyone have positive/negative experiences with leaving without anything immediately lined up?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Leck posted:

i know it's way harder to find a new job when you don't have one, but it's getting really tempting to leave and take some time off before finding something new. anyone have positive/negative experiences with leaving without anything immediately lined up?

ive done it twice in my life (once a year off and once 4 months off) but both times i got incredibly lucky and jobs found me, not the other way around

have enough figgies in the bank to be able to sustain a yearlong job search/spare time to sharpen your skills once youre ready to start looking again if youre gonna do it imho

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is this hyperbole? I've been contacted by quite a few recruiters and haven't responded to any, but I've read some of their pitches that outline them getting people 6 month contracts and then getting hired. Doesn't sound like the worst to me but I don't really know too much about the recruiting business and I haven't really seriously started looking for a new job until now.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I've just never had any worthwhile opportunities ever come from recruiters. Many of the big good to work for companies will not even accept applications from recruiters, only from direct applicants, because often recruiters have absolutely no idea what kind of person is suitable for the roles they are trying to fill. They sometimes even go as far to alter candidate's resumes to fit a role they aren't suited for, which leads to embarrassing confrontations when they actually get an interview.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

ThePeavstenator posted:

I just did this and the recruiter was super-helpful and actually went to the mat to get me the rate I asked when the client pushed back. it's a 6mo contract-to-hire and it's basically just a buffer for the corp to not accidentally hire an idiot/liability and drop bad gets with little effort. I'm in a pretty specific field so typically when a recruiter cold calls me they mean business

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

mishaq posted:

+ contractually obligated signing bonus thats big enough to hold you over if everything spectacularly collapses later

yeah it would deffo need this. I suspect they're not going to pay what I'm looking at but not having to sell my home and move would be nice if I could make it work

probably not though, I doubt they'd offer enough. I make more as a contractor than a lot of their ftes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Leck posted:

I did it, was planning to take ~6-8 months off but it ended up being closer to a year. that said I was coming off of 8 years at one company so it probably looked more reasonable than if you have a bunch of 1-2 year jobs then said "I feel burned out"

as long as you can afford it it's awesome and I felt much better going back to work in a pretty similar environment to the one I left

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

yeah it would deffo need this. I suspect they're not going to pay what I'm looking at but not having to sell my home and move would be nice if I could make it work

probably not though, I doubt they'd offer enough. I make more as a contractor than a lot of their ftes

just ask! you literally have nothing to lose

have fun with it

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qhat posted:

Maybe it's just my experience, but I've just never had any worthwhile opportunities ever come from recruiters. Many of the big good to work for companies will not even accept applications from recruiters, only from direct applicants, because often recruiters have absolutely no idea what kind of person is suitable for the roles they are trying to fill. They sometimes even go as far to alter candidate's resumes to fit a role they aren't suited for, which leads to embarrassing confrontations when they actually get an interview.

Depends if it's a third party or in house recruitment. I got current good job after being hit up by the in house recruiter. Very little bullshit in the process because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
always bring your own printout of your cv to the interview because a recruiter will gently caress with it given the opportunity

otoh why the gently caress would you use an external recruiter ever

• Locked thread