Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DancingShade posted:

No they do that with literal "you are leaving the mission area" stuff, also radiation/cold/environment death.

The lovely car being lovely was just lovely game design. Kind of like the rest of the overall product.

I know those exist but that isn't really what I mean.

There's occasional hills that I was able to get up to faffing around with the Nomad that I feel like I was meant to take another path to. If I could go fast and go up the hill I could have done it really easily. For example Voeld, near the base for the...baddies. Whose name I can't remember. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope CDPR releases soon Cyberpunk 2077 so we can forget the rest of videogames forever

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DoctorGonzo posted:

I hope CDPR releases soon Cyberpunk 2077 so we can forget the rest of videogames forever

I hope they release it soon so they can make more Witcher

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bogan Krkic posted:

Let's be honest, the only reason we're all here complaining about the game that we love to hate is because it's the only 'good' space opera game that exists and if anyone else made one we'd all go play that instead and forget all about how bad Andromeda was

I will never forget how bad Andromeda was.

Because that would mean forgetting this thread, and all of my Mass Effect Posting Pals.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Even I've had to come around to a simple realization: I've never felt so little desire to not immediately play through a Bioware game a second time to see different choices and romance.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Cythereal posted:

Even I've had to come around to a simple realization: I've never felt so little desire to not immediately play through a Bioware game a second time to see different choices and romance.

I'm the other way, normally I'm satisfied that the game was good and gave me enough choices to play however I wanted, but this time I want to start again in the blind hope that I accidentally selected the 'I want this game to be bad' option when talking to someone right at the beginning and if I play it differently there's a secret good game to unlock

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I want to play this game and write how bad it is, does anybody have extra dollar-bin codes that I could buy? I'm not paying $50.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

I want to play this game and write how bad it is, does anybody have extra dollar-bin codes that I could buy? I'm not paying $50.

You can probably find physical copies in literal dollar bins pretty soon.

I didn't save a link or a local copy of the upload image but at least one person bought two copies at 3 bucks each somewhere.

(they were physical "no disc" download only versions)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm the other way, normally I'm satisfied that the game was good and gave me enough choices to play however I wanted, but this time I want to start again in the blind hope that I accidentally selected the 'I want this game to be bad' option when talking to someone right at the beginning and if I play it differently there's a secret good game to unlock

I'm just the opposite. I played the game through once and was satisfied, considering it a deeply flawed but ultimately okay to above average game. Then I realized that I couldn't see any of the plot branches making much of a difference. And while I normally enjoy Bioware romances as popcorn entertainment, the crew in this game is so dull or cringeworthy that I have no desire to get to know any of them better. Except Drack who manages to be fun but he was in my first playthrough's squad without fail all the time anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DancingShade posted:

You can probably find physical copies in literal dollar bins pretty soon.

I didn't save a link or a local copy of the upload image but at least one person bought two copies at 3 bucks each somewhere.

(they were physical "no disc" download only versions)

Andromeda was already getting 30% off discounts less than a week after release, the market knew it was a big pile of doo doo.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

I'm just the opposite. I played the game through once and was satisfied, considering it a deeply flawed but ultimately okay to above average game. Then I realized that I couldn't see any of the plot branches making much of a difference. And while I normally enjoy Bioware romances as popcorn entertainment, the crew in this game is so dull or cringeworthy that I have no desire to get to know any of them better. Except Drack who manages to be fun but he was in my first playthrough's squad without fail all the time anyway.

Same. I too had enough fun playing it to get through the game once. Part of that was probably the vain hope that the plot would turn a corner and not be lovely and disappointing to the very end (it was). Really though, the game is a failure on pretty much every level. Bioware games traditionally have pretty solid replay value and this one has none. In addition to plot and character reasons, checking out other classes was a big reason to try a replay, and they arsed up the gameplay in ME:A enough that that's not even interesting to me.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Weirdly, I think my biggest problem with the game's replayability isn't due to its quality (even if that does leave me slightly hesitant when I remember Havarl), but because so much of the game seems defined in my head. Like how it just feels weird to play Sara as a straight soldier or biotic, since her most of her character quirks seem so wrapped up in being a bit of a nerd. Or how 90% of the game's armor is either hideous or looks so dissonant from anything that your team wears. Or that I only like playing with Milky Way weapons, but the research is such a slog for them. So every time I start up another playthrough, I have such a clear moment of thought where I realize that I'm about to literally just replay the exact game: a tech-focused character in the Pathfinder or Initiative armor and as many N7 guns as I can keep upgraded.

What's even more baffling is that I actually like Ryder more as a character than Shepard. Or at least find her more interesting. But the whole "be anything whenever you want" approach to skills in Andromeda has really smothered any sense of class identity that would've normally convinced me to do another couple of playthroughs in Mass Effect 1 or 2. Sure, the games almost never referenced any actual differences between which class you chose, but it really helped give me a reason to differentiate some of my Shepards from one another and inspired me to play different versions.

And this feels even worse coming out of Inquisition, where I was able to have such a field day between my human, elf, and qunari playthroughs before the monotony started to kick in. But even that's like 200+ hours compared to the mere 50 that I've milked out of Andromeda so far.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I never actually found female Ryder that nerdy, in fact there are multiple moments where a scientist tells you something science-y and your only dialogue options are like, "that's dumb, who cares" or [pretend to be interested]. Like it's actually a massive failure of player expression that you can't have the scientific explorer protagonist be enthusiastic about science.

There's the eyes moment with Jaal, which is one of the best moments in the game full stop, but there's also a bunch of conversations with Lexi, Suvi and miscellaneous NPCs where Ryder is completely disinterested in scientific theory and your choice is just whether she's rude about it or not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

[Scientific] I will. gently caress. Your. poo poo. Up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Strange, I played Sarah with almost always the logical/gear responses, and she geeked out constantly - never had a moment of her being disinterested in science. Even had a funny banter in the Nomad when she asked Jaal about how the angara's bioelectric field worked, and he sarcastically asked her if she could explain how her eyes worked. Sarah immediately started a full explanation of how the human eye works.

Agreed that Sarah's a more interesting character than Shepard. I just wish she had a better game to be in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Strange, I played Sarah with almost always the logical/gear responses, and she geeked out constantly - never had a moment of her being disinterested in science. Even had a funny banter in the Nomad when she asked Jaal about how the angara's bioelectric field worked, and he sarcastically asked her if she could explain how her eyes worked. Sarah immediately started a full explanation of how the human eye works.

Agreed that Sarah's a more interesting character than Shepard. I just wish she had a better game to be in.

That's actually a shipboard conversation, and it's really good.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Palpek posted:

If it's possible to family share origin accounts, I'd do that for you.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Cythereal posted:

Even had a funny banter in the Nomad when she asked Jaal about how the angara's bioelectric field worked, and he sarcastically asked her if she could explain how her eyes worked. Sarah immediately started a full explanation of how the human eye works.

Fun fact: Scott's version of that same conversation has him trying to relate with Jaal over the fact that he also doesn't know why he has webbed toes. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milky Moor posted:

I will never forget how bad Andromeda was.

Because that would mean forgetting this thread, and all of my Mass Effect Posting Pals.

Honestly I can't even be bothered to do what little post game stuff there is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

Honestly I can't even be bothered to do what little post game stuff there is.

I got bored and need to finish the game first, I don't think that's happening any time soon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I stopped playing at the first Ice World with the Jaal people. I'd had enough of everything. What a pile of poo poo. I didn't psend as much money as most, but I'm still kinda pissed I spent what I did.

Terrible game.

edit: they're angarans, not Jaal People, I just remembered

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

loving lmao forever at a $200 collectors edition that doesn't even come with the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

loving lmao forever at a $200 collectors edition that doesn't even come with the game

Don't judge me, it goes well with my $200 lifetime subscription to Hellgate: London.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ub posted:

Same. I too had enough fun playing it to get through the game once. Part of that was probably the vain hope that the plot would turn a corner and not be lovely and disappointing to the very end (it was). Really though, the game is a failure on pretty much every level. Bioware games traditionally have pretty solid replay value and this one has none. In addition to plot and character reasons, checking out other classes was a big reason to try a replay, and they arsed up the gameplay in ME:A enough that that's not even interesting to me.

I started a 2nd playthrough but I decided to wait until all the patches come out before playing it again just so I can have a really clear idea of before and after and what could have been if things had been fixed as much as they wanted to fix them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This was the last season of scrubs of video games

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Spikeguy posted:

I started a 2nd playthrough but I decided to wait until all the patches come out
All the patches have probably come out.

EDIT: Nope I was wrong, they're addressing the really important issues

http://kotaku.com/the-next-mass-effect-andromeda-patch-will-let-men-roman-1795863518

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

New Patch Notes:

blog.bioware.com/2017/06/06/mass-effect-andromeda-patch-1-08-notes/

Single player

Ryder’s appearance can now be changed onboard the Tempest
Expanded the range of options available in the character creator
Jaal can now be romanced by Scott Ryder
Dialogue for Hainly Abrams was adjusted to change the flow of personal information she discusses with Ryder.
Fixed issue with Nomad upgrades Shield Crafting quest
Nexus level and cryo pod points are retroactively granted
Vendors now carry weapon mods for Level 60-71 players
Vendors now sell weapon augmentations for automatic fire, burst fire, and single-shot fire
Improved clarity of descriptions for augmentations
Plasma Charge system now works properly for shotguns
Beam Emitter augmentation now causes guns to fire a constant beam with scaling damage based on the weapon’s damage per second
[PC] Added experimental support for Dolby Vision™ technology

Multiplayer

Stealth Grid challenge now increments properly
Fiend no longer sprints when within 10 meters of target, and will decelerate to base speed
Enabled movement correction during Fiend attacks to reduce incidence of players seeing Fiends attacking in the wrong direction
Improved movement prediction for some enemies in tight spaces to reduce appearance of teleportation
Fixed issue that prevented melee attacks if the revive icon was near center screen
Fixed issue where ammo pick-up audio incorrectly played
Fixed issue where Backlash could malfunction while moving
Using Stealth and Recon Visor together no longer increases duration of invisibility for Turian Agent
Fixed issue where weight reduction modifications wouldn’t reduce weight
The Revive Pack Transmitter now displays the revive radius in the loadout screen
Equipping the Cobra RPG now interrupts reloading
Player turns to Adhi when getting synced to avoid teleportation issue
Fixed issue where enemies would occasionally enter T-pose when hit
Improved visual and audio cues for player ready status in Multiplayer lobbies
Added “Lights” option to customization options

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Can we customize lights in SP or only MP?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Spikeguy posted:

New Patch Notes:

Jaal can now be romanced by Scott Ryder
WE'VE DONE IT

...ugh, gently caress this guy hell with this guy, I'm not tapping that.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Elotana posted:

All the patches have probably come out.

EDIT: Nope I was wrong, they're addressing the really important issues

http://kotaku.com/the-next-mass-effect-andromeda-patch-will-let-men-roman-1795863518

I think at this point they're solely interested in catering to the Bioware forums crowd. With the reviews and subsequent price drops, I can't really blame them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

a primate posted:

I think at this point they're solely interested in catering to the Bioware forums crowd. With the reviews and subsequent price drops, I can't really blame them.

Part of the initial backlash was that Jaal had been datamined from the demo to be bi, then in the release version he was straight. Can't blame Bioware for backpedaling, especially when some of Bioware's more vocal fans are part of the LGBT community. Bioware's one of the very few big names in gaming that habitually includes LGBT characters and romance, so they're often under a microscope by that community.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That is the first time I've bothered looking at comments in Kotaku and quite possibly the last.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

What if the Bioware forums crowd is Bioware now?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can gay romance Jaal now? :3: :3: :3:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Bioware's one of the very few big names in gaming that habitually includes LGBT characters and romance

yes but they're also v bad at it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Added: Jaal can now "pity gently caress" Scott Ryder

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ub posted:

yes but they're also v bad at it

Yeah. Witcher 3 has one gay character, and he's only a side character at that, but his connection to the greater side story in White Orchard makes him one of the best parts of that section of the game. Poor Mislav.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Added: Jaal can now "pity gently caress" Scott Ryder

"C'mon, Jaal, I thought we were friends? Let me just do it once, okay?"

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Part of the initial backlash was that Jaal had been datamined from the demo to be bi, then in the release version he was straight. Can't blame Bioware for backpedaling, especially when some of Bioware's more vocal fans are part of the LGBT community. Bioware's one of the very few big names in gaming that habitually includes LGBT characters and romance, so they're often under a microscope by that community.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of the context. I was just complaining that if they think more romances for Catman will fix the game then hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

a primate posted:

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of the context. I was just complaining that if they think more romances for Catman will fix the game then hoo boy.

Andromeda, from what I've read, has gotten quite a bit of backlash from the LGBT community in general due to being accustomed to a higher standard from Bioware games when it comes to depicting LGBT people (dead name, the gay dude's story revolving around settling down with a woman and having kids with her, Jaal being flagged as bi in demo but then mysteriously being straight, etc). So yeah, it's not even going to fix the game for that part of the fandom except for a few specific people.