Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

Wouldn't that be a tiny amount of solar power? Not much land area.

its solar power ergo liberals arent allowed to oppose it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

evilweasel posted:

its solar power ergo liberals arent allowed to oppose it

That logic worked well for the Comey firing! :haw:

"They don't like him so I can whack him!"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Quick someone tell Trump about how wind turbines kill birds, we can put wind turbines on top of the wall to generate electricity and mulch Mexican rapists!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wasn't it actually one of the possibly jokey designs from that public submission period?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes along with a proposed trench of radioactive waste. Another has a train paralleling the length.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The solar panel part is stupid, but not as stupid as making it 50 feet tall. I swear every wall proposal is made by a loving child.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pellisworth posted:

Well, it's prima facie absurd, but if you did build a wall along the entire southern border and covered it with solar panels that'd be quite a few. And the sun shines most of the time unlike say PNW so I've heard worse ideas.

Like building the loving wall, for example.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Didn't see this posted

https://twitter.com/desiderioDC/status/872189169124216832

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pellisworth posted:

https://hyperallergic.com/372172/six-designs-for-trumps-border-wall-from-solar-panels-to-a-mexican-american-co-nation/

quote:

Managing Partner Tom Gleason: “Ever since Donald Trump announced his intention to build a wall with Mexico, I wanted to get to President Trump a design for the wall that would be safest for the boys and young men trying to climb the walls and design a wall that would pay for itself with electricity production and four barriers of resistance, each with sensors to advise US Border Patrol when an intruder was making their way over or through the wall and activating lights and cameras for immediate visuals. When the solicitation was announced, we quickly began design our version of the wall, with Marko as our chief designer. Marko is a civil engineer, so we know our design will handle the earthquakes, rains, high winds, and we believe we can significantly discourage intruders from attempting to scale or penetrate our wall.”

What is the main goal of your design?

“After extensive searches on the internet, I can now understand why the ranchers along the border need the wall, and the problem is that thousands of young men, boys, and a few girls die of dehydration after they enter the USA, especially along southern Texas, and must walk for days to find help. My ethical stance is if Americans — especially at the border and our Border Patrol agents and ranchers — need the wall, then let’s make it as safe as possible, and let’s make it green and have it pay for itself.”

So basically the designer thinks the wall is a stupid idea in general, but if Trump is so drat insistent on building it they might as well stick some solar panels on there so at least some good can come of it. Not that the loving thing is even going to be built at all.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Aramis posted:

There's gotta have been some decent retention bonuses for key contributors. It's not a portion of the sale on paper, but it might as well be. There's no way MS paid that kind of money for Mojang without SOME kind of assurance it wouldn't immediately catch fire.

Microsoft kept the Mojang dev team to continue their work on the java version of Minecraft while Microsoft is developing all 100 other editions of Minecraft.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Straight into my veins. Trump is absolutely off the charts shook.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pellisworth posted:

Quick someone tell Trump about how wind turbines kill birds, we can put wind turbines on top of the wall to generate electricity and mulch Mexican rapists!

oh he's well aware of how wind kills all your birds

"The GOP presidential nominee has stated his preference for coal and natural gas, and has previously said that solar power is unreliable and wind turbines are unsightly and harmful to wildlife.

“It’s so expensive,” Trump said of alternative energy at a rally in Pennsylvania. “And honestly, it’s not working so good. I know a lot about solar. I love solar. But the payback is what, 18 years? Oh great, let me do it. Eighteen years,” he said, turning to wind power. “The wind kills all your birds. All your birds, killed. You know, the environmentalists never talk about that.”

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pellisworth posted:

He knows.
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/365694278845997057

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would imagine people would just start stealing the wall instead of trying to get over it.,

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The gift that keeps on giving. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pellisworth posted:

How quickly we forget 'All your birds, killed.'

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Trump dumb so what

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Oh my god that idiot still thinks his stupid loving wall has a chance of getting built.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zz76_C97GI

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In his mind he's never been wrong about anything ever. No exaggeration.
HE'S A CLINICAL NARCISSIST, THAT IS LITERALLY HOW HIS BRAIN WORKS

Except after seeing the Memorial Day song and dance I can also believe he's got Alzheimers too.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Teens in boulder are mean

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

How quickly we forget 'All your birds, killed.'

The wind. The wind kills all the birds.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

It would produce about the same amount of power as 32 coal power plants.

https://twitter.com/Timothy_Cama/status/872207906115993600

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Wait so they were pepper sprayed and had a camera stolen?

Seems a bit dishonest to say they left because people yelled gently caress you at them.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I can't believe Axios teased that as a scoop.

Well, I guess I can, but let this be the death of the pre-publishing scoop economy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nazzadan posted:

Seems a bit dishonest to say they left because people yelled gently caress you at them.

i dont like this new found footage Warriors reboot, seems to be lacking the charm and camp of the original

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

A great deal of that would be lost during transit, wouldn't it? Most of the border is out in the middle of nowhere.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Rigel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0k-UVDbZco&t=173s

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Dude I get yelled at for not throwing glass into recyclables. Proud boys lucky to leave Boulder alive.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Solar power is strange to human conception in that the area you need to generate a rather vast amount of power is tiny on a map and any national scale, but the area needed to generate a useful amount of power seems vast in person.

At 40 feet wide along the entire border it'd be one of the largest power plants in the US. It comes to roughly 40 million square meters, which at around 150 watt of power generation per meter square is 6 gigawatts. Granted, not around the clock, but the largest nuclear power plant (Palo Verde) manages 3.3 gigawatts on average, so you'd be up there with the big ones certainly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

trickybiscuits posted:

HE'S A CLINICAL NARCISSIST, THAT IS LITERALLY HOW HIS BRAIN WORKS

Except after seeing the Memorial Day song and dance I can also believe he's got Alzheimers too.

It's really strange how well narcissism has aided his business career. It is almost like it is some sort of hosed up cheat code - he can just NOCLIP through the walls of shame that make most people take the longer route to reach a particular reward.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I can't wait for the pretend bill signing for the wall.

Or did that happen already?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

To point out the obvious flaw: given that IIRC the wall isn't planned to be all that tall, if I were a Mexican living near the border, I'd be tempted to start spending my weekends throwing paint at the panels on top. Or garbage. Or poo poo. Somehow, I suspect local law enforcement might turn a blind eye.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

boner confessor posted:

i dont like this new found footage Warriors reboot, seems to be lacking the charm and camp of the original

The pudgy white racist gang vs the scrawny Black Flag worshipers will be the hypest part of the remake.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

nachos posted:

I can't wait for the pretend bill signing for the wall.

Or did that happen already?

Of course he did!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5a63_story.html

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

To point out the obvious flaw: given that IIRC the wall isn't planned to be all that tall, if I were a Mexican living near the border, I'd be tempted to start spending my weekends throwing paint at the panels on top. Or garbage. Or poo poo. Somehow, I suspect local law enforcement might turn a blind eye.

or tearing them off to resell

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/vplus/status/872210563568463873
Some more questionable burgers?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pellisworth posted:

I'm going to make a guess that the optimal for solar panels isn't vertically along a north/south facing wall

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I can't even fathom the cost of a thousand mile solar plant when you include the maintenance and upkeep.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pellisworth posted:

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/290093-trump-wind-power-kills-all-your-birds

Trump posted:

“And honestly, it’s not working so good. I know a lot about solar. I love solar. But the payback is what, 18 years? Oh great, let me do it. Eighteen years,” he said, turning to wind power. “The wind kills all your birds. All your birds, killed. You know, the environmentalists never talk about that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

This seems to be his trademark facial expression. I guess it's supposed to be some kind of smug smile, but it also looks like he could cry at any second, or he's very angry. It suggests someone who's desperately trying to control his expression and appearance, but failing miserably.

• Locked thread