Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gabe's bit about soundscapes sticks with me still, long after I've forgotten most of the rest of The Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Erlich has a friend

https://twitter.com/justinbieber/status/871874872506544128

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

gilfoyle has never been a good character. he's edgy dilbert. he's daria meets dennis the menace.

This is what I really like about the limited interactions he has with Russ in season 2. Russ's "jock" personality allows him to cut to the core of Gilfoyle in a way that all of the nerds that surround him just can't, and Gilfoyle knows that Russ is too full of himself for any of his lovely barbs to have any real effect so he just stays silent and slinks away.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The good thing is that the show also doesn't buy into Gilfoyle's bullshit, it is plainly presented as self aggrandizement and an empty act... I mean short of the fact that he has a hot girlfriend for some reason? who knows.

When Richard has to put on the fake show of 'begging' Gilfoyle to return to pied piper and we learn that he was acting passive-aggressively the whole episode simply because he is incapable of acting like a normal person it was very clear that the show considers Gilfoyle to actually be very insecure and A Big Poser.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Almost like people are imperfect and have various insecurities. Makes u think

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Genuinely how I watch sports. Never got into following a specific team, but love watching good rugby, football etc. Just with a better concept of grammar.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C'mon Bieber, get on the Leafs hype train before it gets too full. Your home country depends on it!

This is how I felt about basketball when I started following it in the 1994-95 season, although I loved watching Michael Jordan the most. Then he retired, the 1998 lockout happened, most games over the next few seasons were lucky to have a team score over 100 points, and the Lakers dominated. Also, I learned to be fans of particular teams.

Hopefully, there is a San Jose Sharks appearance before the series wraps up. We've already had the SF Giants on in addition to the Warriors.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

Hopefully, there is a San Jose Sharks appearance before the series wraps up. We've already had the SF Giants on in addition to the Warriors.

The gang plays a game of hockey at the shark tank vs VCs for funding and Gilfoyle being Canadian is a hockey savant. Of course it is really Middleditch who would be because he is actually a canook :canada:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sounds like somebody needs an official City Name, Sports Team jersey.

Don't look at the date on that article.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

His character in The Office was pretty bad, and even then he had some really good moments. He's been delightful in everything else I've seen him in, like The League.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Die i

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Quit talking about the sun! QUIT TALKING ABOUT THE SUN!!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really expected Gilfoyle to fail at hacking the fridge, but realize he can just order thousands of dollars worth of food which is probably billed to Jian Yang's fridge service subscription.

The best part about Richard fighting the patent troll is that while he supposedly did tye whole thing on principle, he ultimately just lied. Patent trolls are usually bad, and that guy sure as hell was, but Richard acting like he somehow had the high ground when what he did was just intimidate the guy with falsified evidence really shows the path he is going down.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

The best part about Richard fighting the patent troll is that while he supposedly did tye whole thing on principle, he ultimately just lied. Patent trolls are usually bad, and that guy sure as hell was, but Richard acting like he somehow had the high ground when what he did was just intimidate the guy with falsified evidence really shows the path he is going down.

Yeah, it was a little weird that he just lied his way out of it. But then again, this season's trailer did promise us that the company would become, essentially, a criminal operation whose only real product is large-scale fraud.

You gotta start somewhere.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

But then again, this season's trailer did promise us that the company would become, essentially, a criminal operation whose only real product is large-scale fraud.
Just like the average Silicon Valley front!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This might have been the most unrealistic episode yet.

In real life that fridge would have had an exposed telnet server running on port 23.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It would have been mining bitcoins by the end of the day

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This might have been the most unrealistic episode yet.

In real life that fridge would have had an exposed telnet server running on port 23.

The reset password option would email your password in plaintext

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
This season has had some decent jokes but has zero focus narratively. It's my least favorite season by far and I don't think anything will be able to change my mind in the next three episodes unless Zach Woods gets to be Ed Chambers the entire time.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

This season has had some decent jokes but has zero focus narratively. It's my least favorite season by far and I don't think anything will be able to change my mind in the next three episodes unless Zach Woods gets to be Ed Chambers the entire time.

Jared learning that he can imitate anyone's voice over the phone might send him out of control

Which could lead him to imitating Richard's voice which would be amazing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

This season has had some decent jokes but has zero focus narratively.
Seconded. I still don't know what the endgame is gonna be.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EugeneJ posted:

Jared learning that he can imitate anyone's voice over the phone might send him out of control

Which could lead him to imitating Richard's voice which would be amazing

Anyone can imitate Richard, they just have to stutter and ask people what they meant by some off-handed remark at least once every five minutes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

This can be a good thing, it's fine to keep the audience guessing, but the way they've done it is completely dramatically inert. It's just a bunch of SV dipshits meandering around with some funny jokes thrown in, when this show has been much better than that in the past. I've heard it said before that SV would be a compelling drama without the jokes, which I think was true at some points but cannot be said at all for this season.

Also where the gently caress is Big Head

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Colonel Whitey posted:

Also where the gently caress is Big Head

Being groomed for a congressional seat.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Anyone can imitate Richard, they just have to stutter and ask people what they meant by some off-handed remark at least once every five minutes.

And never ever let something go

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Short interview with Zach Woods: (Jared/Donald)

http://www.thewrap.com/silicon-valley-zach-woods-tj-miller/

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I think this season is supposed to be showing what slow growth/being underfunded is like at a tech startup, which is probably the most common and boring side of the business.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What are they even building? Oh yeah the dumb new meshnet thing.

I really am not a fan of that idea, because it's... Well if it actually worked it would be a big new thing that isn't like anything that exists in silicon valley, and so it's not like... what the show is about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imao people calling Gilfoyle a bad character, maybe it just rings a little to close to home for you because Gilfoyle is good poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't pick a favorite character, but Gilfoyle is one of my favorite people. Like, as a person, he rules.

Also he drinks my favorite beer. And by "he drinks it" i mean he's drinking it in almost every shot he's in at the house.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That reminds me, there's been a lot of craft beer appearances this season, more so than before (and it's not like it was light on the placement before). The logo for Drake's is plastered everywhere, and North Coast's Old Rasputin was put in the smart fridge, but is there a complete list? I wouldn't put it past an enterprising fan of the show to have already made one.

veni veni veni posted:

Imao people calling Gilfoyle a bad character, maybe it just rings a little to close to home for you because Gilfoyle is good poo poo.
He's the funniest character line-for-line, but the dynamic of him and Dinesh trading barbs make for some of Silicon Valley's greatest moments, and there just isn't much of that this season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gilfoyle has been drinking Old Rasputin since the first season. Possibly the first episode.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Snak posted:

Gilfoyle has been drinking Old Rasputin since the first season. Possibly the first episode.
I don't blame him, it's a good beer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like I said, it's probably my favorite beer. It's not cheap enough to drink all the time, and it's quite filling. But also 9% alcohol.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snak posted:

Like I said, it's probably my favorite beer. It's not cheap enough to drink all the time, and it's quite filling. But also 9% alcohol.

Fuckkkkk and he drinks it at like 9 in the morning

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if he's not plain drunk, he's probably rolling a solid buzz all the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

He's canadian, :cmon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Snak posted:

Old Rasputin and Dragon's Milk are my two favorite Imperial Stouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Gilfoyle is definitely my favourite character on the show, and the Gilfoyle/Dinest dynamic is a large part of the reason i find the show entertaining.

• Locked thread