Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Waffle House posted:

We need a thread, AND more pictures.

I'd pondered a thread, but the progress on EVERY project I have has been glacial recently thanks to building a Lemons car. Which raced this last weekend! And didn't blow up! And was probably the slowest car on the track!

Everyone from my wife's family calls the Rolls "The Bentley," and some oral family history seems to imply it wasn't a factory Rolls, but I haven't done much research. I feel like an awful car person because I know next to nothing about this car that sits in my garage.

Right hand drive, but still right hand shifter, which makes getting in and out fun.

Back seat couch (yes, plenty of ash trays):

Aforementioned Lemons car. 94 Volvo 940, converted to turbo with Megasquirt installed at the last minute. Theme was weak (Swedish rednecks, words on roof read "General Leif" with a Swedish flag), car ran like trash, but had more fun than I thought possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

A couple like that went cheapish at the last mecum auction.

That got me thinking, that would be dope with a 600ish hp 2jz and some modern suspension and brake bits.

It would also probably tear the frame to bits.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

shoncook posted:

I'd pondered a thread, but the progress on EVERY project I have has been glacial recently thanks to building a Lemons car. Which raced this last weekend! And didn't blow up! And was probably the slowest car on the track!

Holy poo poo, do you get a lot of "Would you have any Grey Poupon?" jokes? You should keep a jar in the glovebox just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5EZwanClY

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

shoncook posted:

Aforementioned Lemons car. 94 Volvo 940, converted to turbo with Megasquirt installed at the last minute. Theme was weak (Swedish rednecks, words on roof read "General Leif" with a Swedish flag), car ran like trash, but had more fun than I thought possible.

This joke works on so many levels.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I never realized how much I wanted a fifties vintage Bentley/Rolls. I also didn't realize they could be had for so cheap.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You can grab some cheap Rolls and Bentleys because the target market do not want and old one and maintainance on things like the suspension can be ruinous. If you can deal with it then you can roll around like a fat stockbroker for relatively little cash.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
For those Caprice wagon lovers out there:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6163264249.html

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

shoncook posted:

Everyone from my wife's family calls the Rolls "The Bentley," and some oral family history seems to imply it wasn't a factory Rolls, but I haven't done much research. I feel like an awful car person because I know next to nothing about this car that sits in my garage.

Right hand drive, but still right hand shifter, which makes getting in and out fun.

Back seat couch (yes, plenty of ash trays):

that car is dope friend thank you.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

BigPaddy posted:

You can grab some cheap Rolls and Bentleys because the target market do not want and old one and maintainance on things like the suspension can be ruinous. If you can deal with it then you can roll around like a fat stockbroker for relatively little cash.

Can confirm, my mother liked to go to police auctions and would sometimes come home with eclectic cars. Being a physician she did whatever she wanted and rarely asked my father for money or input. So pretty cool at the time.

One day she showed up in a mid 60's droptop Rolls Royce. I remember standing in the driveway, mouth agape as my father asked my mother the usual questions surrounding her purchases.

Turns out she paid $3.5k cash and drove it home. My father almost blew a gasket, imagining ruinous maintenance and unaffordable upkeep. The car remained for a week, until one day at the hospital she worked at, a new doctor appeared.

Essentially he told her, he needed the car. The guy was an ER doc with all kinds of toys and cars, the kind of person who makes $200k and blows it. He offered $10k and insisted she went to the bank with him after their shift. My father by this point had grown somewhat attached and was sad to learn of the Roll's fate.

Well theres my story.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
What I'm learning here is that I must immediately invest in a vintage Rolls

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm learning that I must immediately marry a doctor.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

boxen posted:

I'm learning that I must immediately marry a doctor.

My sister in law is a OB/GYN. She drives a Toyota Highlander with a mashed in bumper. She is doing it wrong.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Meydey posted:

My sister in law is a OB/GYN. She drives a Toyota Highlander with a mashed in bumper. She is doing it wrong.

Is it a Camry dent?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Meydey posted:

Different specialties different personalities I guess. People who gravitate towards acute emergency room work seem to be fast paced adrenaline junkie types. e.g. the hotshot trauma surgeons.

Glad you guys appreciated my story, I sometimes forget how eccentric my family was at times. Some of my mother's other impulse buys include: forest green 96' mustang with 6 cylinders and a stick, early 2000's Lincoln LS with V8, finally topping herself with a god knows what year AMX (!!!) that my father ended up claiming as his daily driver for a few years.

EDIT: The police auctions I speak of took place in Chicago and surrounding counties, check out Dupage county auctions in particular. They love seizing assets and holding vehicles for evidence until they can legally auction them off.

Remember, these deals are so hot because it is cash at the door usually. Sometimes they accept a credit card with fees, but they never offer financing.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
Awwww yeah https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/6147318617.html

For posterity:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I went to a cop auction and all they had was a giant pile of poo poo and rusty bikes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
How much did the giant pile of poo poo go for?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Sicilian posted:

Different specialties different personalities I guess. People who gravitate towards acute emergency room work seem to be fast paced adrenaline junkie types. e.g. the hotshot trauma surgeons.
Makes sense, as does an OB/GYN being the type that would drive an old beater and put their money into savings or a nice house.

Man, the Prowler was such a cool-looking car (at the time, anyway). One of the managers at a store I used to call on had one (in 2015, so that thing being in mint condition as a DD had looped back around to cool again). Too bad it's a) a '90s Mopar and b) putting the suspension under the hood only leaves room for a mediocre V6. Although I'm sure somebody somewhere has stretched one and stuffed some form of Hemi in it, preferably a 426 with a 6-71 blower and zoomie headers.

Poking around on the local CL, and found a few cheap trucks:

I love the "patina" on this one.

Convert it back to gas, weld in new floorpans, and leave the exterior as it is, cut open the propane tank and turn it into a toolbox.

"Good engine and transmission. They just aren't put together."

"Body has a few small dings" Y'DON'T SAY?

What do you want to bet that's the (disassembled) transmission in the bed?

This one, the pictures aren't important (it's a $500 white '85 F150, looks about like you'd expect), but the text deserves quoting for posterity, I bolded the good part:

quote:

Truck was running 2 yrs. ago. Threw a rod on way home from town, drove home with good oil pressure and normal temperature, but making very loud noise. Has a quarter size hole in oil pan. Parked, took out battery and drained fuel out of both fuel tanks. Has been sitting since. Bought a second hand short block and is in truck bed under topper. It is a fuel injected 302- 5.0 engine with C-6 3 speed auto trans. Manuel windows, locks. A/c, heat, radio, work well. Has receiver hitch. $ 500. or possible trade. Price is with old tires and rims, tires and wheels in photos have less than 10,000 miles, will sell with for additional $ 250. Topper is not included in sale. Have extra parts. Will delete ad when sold.
The Ford 302 is right up there with the Jeep 258, Ford 4.9L, and air-cooled radials in refusing to die. Funny story about that, actually. I think I've told it on SA before, but it's topical:

My father once had an E150 work van of similar vintage that, by the early '90s, was on its last legs, but the boss (dad's brother) refused to replace it until it was stone dead. So Dad and I hatched a plan for automotive assisted suicide -- we drained the oil and coolant and fired 'er up. After about half an hour of the fucker chugging away like nothing was wrong (aside from getting progressively louder), we started to get bored and thought that maybe there was some oil trapped in there, so he poured a gallon of A/C coil cleaner (industrial-strength degreaser) into the oil filler hole. It got a LOT louder, but otherwise no change. Glaciers came and went, but that bastard boat-anchor LoPo 5.0 just kept on idling, happy as a clam, the rod knock and predetonation knock masking the fact that the idle had slowed significantly. Eventually we gave up and turned the key off.

It ran without spark for another minute or so, and finally wheezed to a stop. We gave it a few minutes to recover, and I turned the key as Dad called the junkyard to come pick it up. Guess what happened. it was completely loving seized, the starter just made that high-pitched whine electric motors do when they're prevented from turning. I kept trying until it stopped making any sound at all.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
quote=/= edit, oops

Edit for content:

I'm assuming they tried to blur the license plate but things got out of hand. Or the camera is dying. And yes, the other picture is exactly what it looks like in the thumbnail, just a black rectangle. Most likely got corrupted in the uploading and they didn't look at it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 10, 2017

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Delivery McGee posted:

quote=/= edit, oops

Edit for content:

I'm assuming they tried to blur the license plate but things got out of hand. Or the camera is dying. And yes, the other picture is exactly what it looks like in the thumbnail, just a black rectangle. Most likely got corrupted in the uploading and they didn't look at it.

Or it's a v fast impala driving at extremely high speeds

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

How much did the giant pile of poo poo go for?

They told people to take some when they left.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

I was just looking for something to tow a boat but I'll take it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Well, it will certainly do that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

This is how you become the best dad at the after-school pickup.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oh good, he's a lunatic, too.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
always nice to have a full sized spare

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Thief posted:

always nice to have a full sized spare

Yeah I hate being caught dead needing a new cab

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd make a treehouse or something out of the second cab.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Nah, you do some Giga-Horse style double cab thing.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is how you become the best dad at the after-school pickup.

Or the worst neighbor in the apt complex.

I've figured out the Jefferson logic. They want to annihilate their tax base so the roads all crumble. That means more 4-wheelin'!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

monsterzero posted:

Weeeelp. Looks like I've got something other than buses and Deuce and Halfs to look out for on surplus auctions.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
One of my favorite rvs is built of a hemtt. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/112015-8x8-HEMTT-Expedition-Vehicle-w-Garage

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I was looking at prices for these normally and it turns out right now 15k is inline with a decent one. A couple years ago they were much more expensive but recently their prices have dropped.
What I'm saying is that the RV one you posted isn't worth 130k anymore.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Man it sure looks like that guy took the axles off a toy hauler and bolted it to the hemtt

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006
https://athensga.craigslist.org/cto/6173330907.html

Sure, I'll give you Barrett Jackson dollars for your four door cadillac.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

monsterzero posted:

Man, you would think there is $15k in just scrap metal there.
Never in my life have "want" and "need" been so far apart for me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Almost $15k in tires, assuming they're still good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

NoWake posted:

Almost $15k in tires, assuming they're still good.

Heh, just what I was thinking. Where to find replacements? Pull it into the Firestone tire center?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, just what I was thinking. Where to find replacements? Pull it into the Firestone tire center?

I bet diesel brothers sell them. Nope but these guys do http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh god, best engine and entire car hoist ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmMRSHx43k