Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah I gotta be honest I might weed eat the whole property once a season. I did it a few weeks back and it took nearly 9 hours. I probably won't do the fence and pond again this year, so maybe 15 minutes worth of work every couple weeks. I loathe trimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do they clarify the final payment? When I got my bike they guaranteed the final payment would be the same as the monthly, this year they make no promises, just mentioning "reasonable value" so you could be stuck with a final payment up to 50% of the starting value.

Yeah when you declare how much you want to spend they give you a breakdown of what will be deducted, what actual impact you'll feel after tax and what you ultimately pay over the term.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

rdb posted:

Electric is fine for stuff up to 7-10" with a sharp chain. Just a word of warning, however, chaps designed for gas saws won't protect you from electric since those don't have a clutch.

Also, people here must have a lot of patience and some small yards if you can stand an electric trimmer.

I always thought chainsaw chaps worked by tangling up the chain with kevlar strands until the saw stopped. What's so different about an electric motor that they don't work?

Also: yeah, my yard is tiny. It takes me about 15 minutes to trim along the fence line and around the perimeter of the house/deck.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Yeah I gotta be honest I might weed eat the whole property once a season. I did it a few weeks back and it took nearly 9 hours. I probably won't do the fence and pond again this year, so maybe 15 minutes worth of work every couple weeks. I loathe trimming.

Glyphosate concentrate is cheap. I don't trim fence line. I don't knock it down to dirt either, I let it start to grow up then knock it down. Looks pretty good and don't have erosion.

Drive beer and spray fence line from the golf cart, it's very relaxing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Ours you pay the cost of the bike over 12 months but it comes out via salery sacrifice so you save 20% tax.
If you're in the higher earning catagory (I'm not) then you can save 40%
Yes, the basics of the scheme are the same, but:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do they clarify the final payment? When I got my bike they guaranteed the final payment would be the same as the monthly, this year they make no promises, just mentioning "reasonable value" so you could be stuck with a final payment up to 50% of the starting value.
This is the problem with the schemes in a lot of places (including one my place tried to run). Even with the tax saving, you can get a better deal just through regular sales at somewhere like Halfords.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Glyphosate concentrate is cheap. I don't trim fence line. I don't knock it down to dirt either, I let it start to grow up then knock it down. Looks pretty good and don't have erosion.

Drive beer and spray fence line from the golf cart, it's very relaxing.

Occasionally I do the same. Sometimes around the house as well. But I have a mole problem and they seem drawn to areas where its been sprayed. They loosen the soil, and erosion happens because nearly my entire property is on a slope. It also seems to encourage species like poison hemlock to sprout.

I switched to crossbow, installed a device to switch the bottom wire of the fence to ground when it gets tall, and trim when it gets really nasty looking. It's not bad this year.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fuckin moles. Fortunately have few of those here. The dogs would dig up old mole tunnels for hundreds of feet around the back yard at my old house.

rdb posted:

I switched to crossbow, installed a device to switch the bottom wire of the fence to ground when it gets tall, and trim when it gets really nasty looking. It's not bad this year.

Crossbow? Switch the bottom wire to ground?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Magnus Praeda posted:

I always thought chainsaw chaps worked by tangling up the chain with kevlar strands until the saw stopped. What's so different about an electric motor that they don't work?

Also: yeah, my yard is tiny. It takes me about 15 minutes to trim along the fence line and around the perimeter of the house/deck.

Electric saws don't have a clutch and can't stall. Near full torque at zero RPM vs a gas saw which needs to rev to 10k RPM to start making power.

Edit: chaps usually state on the label that they aren't rated for electric saws.

rdb fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2017

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rdb posted:

Also, people here must have a lot of patience and some small yards if you can stand an electric trimmer.

Mine is corded, but still electric. I use an edger whenever, this one specifically: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Edge-Hog-7-5-in-11-Amp-2-in-1-Electric-Landscape-Edger-LE750/100052063 whever I can, but use a weed whacker when I have to. I replace the string once every couple months, but spool it with this stuff, it lasts longer and works better than anything else I've used: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Universal-0-095-in-x-830-ft-Heavy-Duty-Trimmer-Line-16526/203041777. It's also a single line feeder, the last one I used was a dual line feeder and the line was also used up twice as fast since it's not the grass that screws the line, it's the wood/brick.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Fuckin moles. Fortunately have few of those here. The dogs would dig up old mole tunnels for hundreds of feet around the back yard at my old house.

Crossbow? Switch the bottom wire to ground?

Crossbow is a combination of 2,4D and Triclopyr herbicides. It works against broadleaves and brushy, woody type plants. It will burn grass if not dilute enough, but it seems to recover better vs glyphosate.

My fences are electric. So when the weeds get tall and too much current goes into them the controller turns the bottom wire off. I think it was like $25.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Siochain posted:

Have a cordless weed whipper and a cordless hedge trimmer - both were cheap, and just loving work. I love them. gently caress the gas ones unless you are doing this poo poo for a living and its running hours a day where batteries would just run out.

As to electric chainsaws - anyone used one? Thoughts? I'm looking at a small saw, and have been debating electric.

I used a Harbor Freight electric chainsaw (corded) that my buddy had when we were cleaning up his back yard. It seemed to work fine. It's a little strange using a chainsaw that doesn't, well, sound like a chainsaw. Kind of like electric cars, I guess.

rdb posted:

Electric is fine for stuff up to 7-10" with a sharp chain. Just a word of warning, however, chaps designed for gas saws won't protect you from electric since those don't have a clutch.

I can't even make it around my yard, much less the fence, without having to spool line. Never mind the several tanks of gas. That's with a Stihl fs130 and one of their giant heads, I think it's a 36. On top of that, I have an echo SRM-225 that has sat fairly consistently since 2014 with tru-fuel in it that will start with a couple pulls right now if needed. Don't buy junk gas trimmers and they are fine.

I go through about a spool every two mow and trim sessions, and less than a tank of gas per. .23 acre, Ryobi Quick-Link trimmer from 2001 or so. It's just getting worn, and the carb is finicky.

keykey posted:

Mine is corded, but still electric. I use an edger whenever, this one specifically: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Edge-Hog-7-5-in-11-Amp-2-in-1-Electric-Landscape-Edger-LE750/100052063 whever I can, but use a weed whacker when I have to. I replace the string once every couple months, but spool it with this stuff, it lasts longer and works better than anything else I've used: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Universal-0-095-in-x-830-ft-Heavy-Duty-Trimmer-Line-16526/203041777. It's also a single line feeder, the last one I used was a dual line feeder and the line was also used up twice as fast since it's not the grass that screws the line, it's the wood/brick.

Gas one is dual line, cordless one I fixed is single. I'm hoping it might last longer. The cordless one is also auto-feed, which I'm not sure I'll like.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I have a huge yard and I much prefer electric. I have corded hedge trimmer (600w) that will mangle just about anything you choose to put in it's path and electric trimmers (battery and corded) otherwise. Electric garden tools really have gotten so much better over the last few years. I'm honestly surprised just how good even the cheap Ryobi stuff is these days. I'm considering electric lawn mower next but for a yard that takes a good 1.5 hours just to mow...... maybe not.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Crossbow is a combination of 2,4D and Triclopyr herbicides. It works against broadleaves and brushy, woody type plants. It will burn grass if not dilute enough, but it seems to recover better vs glyphosate.

My fences are electric. So when the weeds get tall and too much current goes into them the controller turns the bottom wire off. I think it was like $25.

Oh I gotcha, I have seen that for sale. I just let it grow a bit, then hit the tall stuff with a wide mist. Seems to mostly stay off any short grass.

And the fence, I see, I didn't know you were talking about hot wire. I have to keep the bottom wire hot (field fence + 2 stands of hot wire), cause we have pigs and goats, and it's the only thing they respect. Goats are like velociraptors, if the fence is off they figure it out immediately.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

The cordless one is also auto-feed, which I'm not sure I'll like.

Autofeed isn't bad once you get used to it... And by used to it, I mean if the line gets too short, just run it into the ground for it to come out further until it hits the metal shear on the edge of the line guard thereby flinging line into your face. :haw:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Didnt want to start a thread so I guess I ll ask here.

My car/truck situation has gotten ridicules so of course on top of all the toys i own I bought a 2005 crown Victoria interceptor. I basically needed a auto for the days my rebuilt knee bothers me.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for these cars namely finding replacement door panels for the rear so I can have functional and locking rear doors.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Oh I gotcha, I have seen that for sale. I just let it grow a bit, then hit the tall stuff with a wide mist. Seems to mostly stay off any short grass.

And the fence, I see, I didn't know you were talking about hot wire. I have to keep the bottom wire hot (field fence + 2 stands of hot wire), cause we have pigs and goats, and it's the only thing they respect. Goats are like velociraptors, if the fence is off they figure it out immediately.

My wife has about 30-40 goats right now, mostly saanen with a handful of guernsey. The big ones leave the fence alone and the kids don't wander far if they do get out. The bucks stay in a separate pen on a separate charger during rut. Most of the escape problems we have had have been the result of damage to gates from climbing or sneaky kids squeezing through panels in the barn.

Pigs I have no idea about.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

How the hell does one owe a 1/4 mil in child support/alimony/etc? According to the numbers, as a dirty poor middle class, I only expect to make about $2 million over my entire working life.

Don't show up to court, get default judgments, get fees/fines/collections/etc tacked on. The oldest is 16.

He's never paid a penny. But it's okay, because he can totally work cash jobs for the rest of his life. :downsgun:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Tell them you're sure the foster families will love this child too.

:drat:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

My wife has about 30-40 goats right now, mostly saanen with a handful of guernsey. The big ones leave the fence alone and the kids don't wander far if they do get out. The bucks stay in a separate pen on a separate charger during rut. Most of the escape problems we have had have been the result of damage to gates from climbing or sneaky kids squeezing through panels in the barn.

Pigs I have no idea about.

Fortunately everything is field fenced so no escapees, but without the hot wire they'll rub allllll down the field fence and gently caress it up.

Are you milking and/or running a dairy operation?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

My car/truck situation has gotten ridicules so of course on top of all the toys i own I bought a 2005 crown Victoria interceptor. I basically needed a auto for the days my rebuilt knee bothers me.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for these cars namely finding replacement door panels for the rear so I can have functional and locking rear doors.

Might want to give the Panther thread a shout.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
She milks twice a day. I don't know how many at the moment. Most of the milk goes down the drain, some gets made into cheese, some gets separated into cream for coffee and butter. She makes money off of buck and milking doe sales. Doing milk sales legally takes some serious cash. Lots of people still sell it as pet food or through farm shares but my wife refuses because of the liability.

Out of the 15 or so kids born this year, all but 2 have been bucks, most of them auction grade. I need to take a load this week for Ramadan. But the few(10-15) that are worth selling as milking does or breeding bucks are $300-600 each. It's been a small profit the last couple years.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ya, my wife got into it with big plans to start a dairy but I think we (she) changed up when figuring the logistics of actually scaling up. We visited a goat dairy a few months ago and I don't think I want in it that much.

We have a small herd of nubians and plan to sell some cheese, because that takes relatively minimal cost to be legal. They are basically pets.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have a huge yard and I much prefer electric. I have corded hedge trimmer (600w) that will mangle just about anything you choose to put in it's path and electric trimmers (battery and corded) otherwise. Electric garden tools really have gotten so much better over the last few years. I'm honestly surprised just how good even the cheap Ryobi stuff is these days. I'm considering electric lawn mower next but for a yard that takes a good 1.5 hours just to mow...... maybe not.

I got the Ryobi mower and it's loving awesome. Way more powerful and efficient than I thought, super light and quiet. It's bizarre and I'm still not used to it yet but i love it.

I'm completely electric now with all my lawn tools, never going back to gas.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Got a new job a few weeks ago. I make bolts and screws for the automotive and aeronautical industry. Great money since I'm the lead on running about 10 heading machines. Those are the ones that take the steel wire from the rolls and use a 2 or 4 die process to form the heads and lengths of said bolts and screws before they get threads. Pretty laid back place too. It's a fairly small factory (20 people on my shift on the floor) and a nice change of pace from the huge 4-500 people per shift I'm used to.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

This is one of the most "parts availability" friendly cars on planet earth. What can't you find? Amazon / eBay / advance auto / your local junkyard should have every part of that vehicle no matter what you are looking for.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ups_rail posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536076

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So uh

31 pounds lost. Thanks for the encouragement dudes!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
well done

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Devyl posted:

Got a new job a few weeks ago. I make bolts and screws for the automotive and aeronautical industry. Great money since I'm the lead on running about 10 heading machines. Those are the ones that take the steel wire from the rolls and use a 2 or 4 die process to form the heads and lengths of said bolts and screws before they get threads. Pretty laid back place too. It's a fairly small factory (20 people on my shift on the floor) and a nice change of pace from the huge 4-500 people per shift I'm used to.
Cool, it's generally not a bad industry to work in. Do you only make cold headed parts, or is there a hot forge section too?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

So uh

31 pounds lost. Thanks for the encouragement dudes!

Not bad. How do you feel?

bend
Dec 31, 2012
LOL @ "It only does 200k, but on a tiny dirt road with trees, that's pretty fast"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAR9mBFN4c&feature=youtu.be

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bend posted:

LOL @ "It only does 200k, but on a tiny dirt road with trees, that's pretty fast"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAR9mBFN4c&feature=youtu.be

Awesome.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ive got an FS480 for my 900m2 block.. its comically oversized but it cost me $62 to put a bump feed head on it and a $7 primer bulb so.....

And it also happily spins 40cm of line out each side of the head, it cuts a bigger path than my loving lawnmower.

Finished up my workshop mezzanine too. Now i've effectively got a 12mx 6m shed in a 9m x 6m footprint. And theres SO MUCH MORE FLOORSPACE NOW THAT ITS NOT COVERED IN poo poo!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So the civic is getting expired tabs tickets literally every other day. I cant renew them until my license is valid. I cant get that restored until I pay off all the tickets. The close outdoor storage places all require a car be running and fully tabbed and Insured to store for.a month plus, and the one that didn't require that starts at $300/mo just for an unsecured spot in their lot

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's good, I wanted to make sure since they're pretty drat expensive.

Yeah, I went back and triple checked after it was brought up to make sure.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DICK DICER posted:

So the civic is getting expired tabs tickets literally every other day. I cant renew them until my license is valid. I cant get that restored until I pay off all the tickets. The close outdoor storage places all require a car be running and fully tabbed and Insured to store for.a month plus, and the one that didn't require that starts at $300/mo just for an unsecured spot in their lot

Do you have anyone you trust that you could sign it over to? Or can you not even do that with outstanding tickets?

I've known plenty of people who rented an enclosed storage unit with outside access, and stored cars in them (obviously this is verboten in the lease, but I've known people who managed to run shops out of Public Storage units, they just tapped into the power for the outside lighting and could only run their equipment after dark). The Civic would probably fit fine in a 10x10 unit, right? Hell, maybe even a 10x5 if you have a couple of wheeled jacks. Rent a unit with after-hours access, tow the Civic over, shove it into the storage unit?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Ive got an FS480 for my 900m2 block.. its comically oversized but it cost me $62 to put a bump feed head on it and a $7 primer bulb so.....

And it also happily spins 40cm of line out each side of the head, it cuts a bigger path than my loving lawnmower.

Finished up my workshop mezzanine too. Now i've effectively got a 12mx 6m shed in a 9m x 6m footprint. And theres SO MUCH MORE FLOORSPACE NOW THAT ITS NOT COVERED IN poo poo!

I thought that was a bed hanging from the ceiling

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DICK DICER posted:

loving let it go dude, it's going to take every last penny from you

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
worth it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CommieGIR posted:

I thought that was a bed hanging from the ceiling

Technically it is... Its a roof rack for the landcruiser with a Roof Top Tent on it. Theres a heap of camping gear stored up on top of the front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Not bad. How do you feel?

Amazing.

And also in need of new clothes. Nearly nothing fits!

• Locked thread